6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Bad Habit, Is It Really Bad?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 06:12 PM

Bad Habit, Is It Really Bad?

Moving from a stick shift to an auto - 05 SE auto, I can't stand leaving the shift stick in Drive position at a long stop light. If feel as though the auto trans. is grinding and this bothers me, so when I am at a stop light I usually put it in Neutral. When the light turns green, I would put it in Drive again. Does this harm the auto trans. I heard that for some makes such as BMW, regularly leaving the shift mode in neutral does damage the auto trans. Does this apply to all cars/trucks with auto trans. including Nissan?
Old 03-11-2005, 06:29 PM

im sure there are some cars that it wouldnt be good to leave it in neutral...but the maxima transmission is pretty decent...i do that in my 02 and i havent had any problems...so an 05 probably wouldn't be any worse...
Old 03-11-2005, 07:12 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by HD2NIS
Moving from a stick shift to an auto - 05 SE auto, I can't stand leaving the shift stick in Drive position at a long stop light. If feel as though the auto trans. is grinding and this bothers me, so when I am at a stop light I usually put it in Neutral. When the light turns green, I would put it in Drive again. Does this harm the auto trans. I heard that for some makes such as BMW, regularly leaving the shift mode in neutral does damage the auto trans. Does this apply to all cars/trucks with auto trans. including Nissan?
Leave the shifter alone, there is a reason they call it automatic. Red lights are where, depending on whether you are a man or a woman, you scratch yourself or futz with your makeup.
Old 03-11-2005, 07:18 PM

But this one allows you to do a manushift! So does putting it in N hurt the tranny?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:02 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Leave it alone. It causes undue wear and tear, while you are thinking you are helping it.

That said, anybody experienced some mild "bumps" from the Auto tranny after having fun with the manushift?
Old 03-11-2005, 08:10 PM

i dont know about this car, but in my other car, putting it in neutral caused the tranny not to be "cooled" by the car's system.. automatic means -> its smarter than you, so leave it alone..
Old 03-11-2005, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by tototee999
automatic means -> its smarter than you, so leave it alone..
Well said!
Old 03-11-2005, 08:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ok here's the deal with this so called "Manual Shift" option. It's looks nice but has very little user control. It has shift lag and doesn't allow the user full control. They should call it limited shift. As for you hurting the car, my answer is yes. Everytime you shift to neutral your RPMS go up. When you shift to 1st or Drive the transmission engages. When this happens your motor jerks to one side. This puts wear and tear on your motor mounts and joints. I know it's ever so slight but if you do it all the time it adds up, and if you accidently hit the gas while shifting add alot more wear. I have another car with a B&M street strip conversion and it's either in 1st or drive. I treat my Maxima the same.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get the 6 speed
Old 03-11-2005, 09:36 PM

This is a good question and I hear it often, but it's important to know the fundamental mechanics of an Automatic Transmission by knowing how it works. In retrospect understanding what the Transmission is doing mechanically as you’re sitting there at a traffic light. Let’s discuss a key component of the transmission assembly, the Torque Converter. The TC sits between the engine and transmission, but mounted to the transmission. It receives the inputshaft from the motor and regulates how much torque the transmission is to receive. The computer and RPMs control the rest. Here is a good definition of a torque converter: In an automatic transmission a device similar to a fluid coupling transfers engine torque to the transmission input shaft. It also cushions the flow of power by using fluid similar to a clutch. Unlike the fluid coupling, the torque converter can multiply engine torque. This is accomplished by installing one or more stators between the torus members. In the torque converter the driving torus is referred to as the "pump" and the driven torus as the "turbine." The engine drives the impeller which in turn impels fluid against the vanes of a turbine connected through transmission gears to the drive shaft of the automobile. The stator redirects oil flow from the turbine to boost impeller action and multiply engine torque.

Now that you know what it does, you'll be able to answer your own question. Will sitting still at a traffic light in neutral harm the car? No. Will it wear anything out? Not really. Other then the breakdown of the mechanical devices from normal wear and tear you have nothing to worry about.

Good luck, and I hope this information was helpful!

Peace! Jay
Old 03-11-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Get the 6 speed
cause this is helpful information Just get a 6sp manual because? And lets not forget about the clutch plates that will need replacing in the future.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:43 PM

i grew to use only my triptronic. i never put it on auto... in the begining i was scared to use the triptronic, but then i used it more often.. now thats all i use i think my tranny is used to this and now it shifts right away!!! Alot of ppl ask me if its really Auto...