6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maintanence Plus/Security Extended Service

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 07:15 AM

Maintanence Plus/Security Extended Service

I was wondering about purchasing the Maintanence+Plus or the Gold Perferred Extended Warranty. But are these scams? And, how much are they if anyone knows? I heard there was also a deductible on certain items. Is this true?
Old 03-05-2005, 09:24 AM
SuPeRmOd

why would it be a "scam"? you pay and receive a service as detailed in the contract.

now if you want to pay for scheduled service and it makes you feel good and the value of your car is important, then it may be worth it. but with this site as a resource and friends that are mechanics, my car is only going to the dealer for warranty work.

i have the gold-preffered plus service. you need to ask your dealer for prices. look at Nissan's site for details.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:29 AM

I also have the Gold Preferred Plus warranty. It's nice to have the extended warranty. Also, I took my Max in to get the light fixture that was leaking fixed and they automatically gave me a loaner car. Didn't have to ask for it or anything! I think it's well worth it. Also, the $200 lifetime oil changes are awesome.
Old 03-29-2005, 09:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

How much did you guys pay for the Gold Preferred Plus Warranty? I got a quote of $1495 for 84months/100,000miles. The guy said the regular price was $2495.

I'll try and call around and see if another dealer can do better.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:12 PM
Banned

As far as maintainence goes, my dealer changes sparkplugs at 30k when they are due at 105k, tranny fluid at 30k when its reccomended by nissan at 60k and coolent at 30k when its required at 90k...thats a scam atleast...I'd be paying in advance for things to get done that arent required by the manufacturer.
Old 03-29-2005, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by SmokeSL
I was wondering about purchasing the Maintanence+Plus or the Gold Perferred Extended Warranty. But are these scams?
I don't know if they're scams, but I know I don't have the time to leave my car there for an entire day just for a simple 20 minute oil change... crappy oil at that. My Max gets nothing but the best synthetic, and that's Amsoil (for cars anyway). I had an '85 300ZX with 400K miles that ran on nothing but Amsoil. It passed California smog tests with better results than most new cars.
Old 03-29-2005, 11:10 PM

I don't think it's a scam, but like most "insurances" you don't see their value until your car is on a wrecker needing $1000's of dollars worth of work that you will only have to pay $500 for....
Old 03-30-2005, 08:31 AM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
As far as maintainence goes, my dealer changes sparkplugs at 30k when they are due at 105k, tranny fluid at 30k when its reccomended by nissan at 60k and coolent at 30k when its required at 90k...thats a scam atleast...I'd be paying in advance for things to get done that arent required by the manufacturer.
that's b/c they're selling you the Premium Service. look at your maintenance manual.

the link in the Sticky shows it very well. http://www.nissanusa.com/form/0,,act...-51041,00.html

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...92&postcount=2
Old 03-30-2005, 09:27 AM

My dealer quoted me $1050 for the Gold Preferred Warranty Plus 72months and $1200 for the 84months. Seems like a good deal, i think. This was at the Schaumburg Nissan dealership in Illinois.
Old 03-30-2005, 01:28 PM

I called several dealers throughout Texas and got the following quotes on the Gold Preferred Plus for 84months/100,000 miles : $2095, 1599, 1495 and 1295.

One of the dealers said that since it is the end of the month and quarter, they are more willing to make deals. Something to remember for anyone going to look for this in the future.

I'm going to make a few more calls, and will keep everyone updated.
Old 04-01-2005, 01:07 PM

Found a dealer willing to take $1200 for the gold preferred 84/100K and $50 deductible. Then I realized the contract says the warrenty does not cover audio components.

Finally, I found www.1sourcewarranty.com. They had a 84/100K, $0 deductible for $1100, but were giving $100 off and free emissions coverage for 3/31 only. They definitely cover all audio components and allow you to go to any repair shop.

Anybody have any opinions of these guys? I still have 30days to cancel if I want.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:48 PM

www.warantydirect.com
check them out too...read the fine print...a lot of things are prolly not covered. Find the one that has the best coverage.

Also wait until 5k miles to make a decision...make sure your car is not a lemon or anything....or the warranty is a waste of $$$, right?

I think nissan allows for up to 1K or 3K miles and you can buy the new exetended warranty otherwise you pay a little more....
Old 04-01-2005, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Little95Max

Finally, I found www.1sourcewarranty.com. They had a 84/100K, $0 deductible for $1100, but were giving $100 off and free emissions coverage for 3/31 only. They definitely cover all audio components and allow you to go to any repair shop.

Anybody have any opinions of these guys? I still have 30days to cancel if I want.

My Nissan dealer only accepts Western Diversified extended warranties. I agree with Nismo80 that it only makes sense to allow Nissan mechanics to work on 6th generations. I would bet that not all Nissan dealers accept your 1source policy. Suggest you explore things a bit further before making a final decision.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:22 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I negotiated a window tint into my extended warranty.

They wouldnt do it for the price of the car....so when I got in with the biatch doing the warrantys, I just said I would do it (the lowest one) if they threw in tint.

It worked

EVERYTHING is negotiable at the car dealers.
Old 04-02-2005, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
that's b/c they're selling you the Premium Service. look at your maintenance manual.

the link in the Sticky shows it very well. http://www.nissanusa.com/form/0,,act...-51041,00.html

http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...92&postcount=2
I verified this with nissan's website where they have posted premium service...the above miles for the above services are what nissan suggests for the maxima.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:09 PM

Urgent help needed! Extended Warranty

Hey, guys. The dealer sold me so-called "Security+plus vehicle protection plan" for $1280.00. Should I buy it? Or it is just a pure rip-off!

Thanks for your opinions.

Any comment is welcome.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:22 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

I didn't even know they had a security one,

I have the mechanical and bumper to bumper extended warranty..
Old 10-11-2005, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
I didn't even know they had a security one,

I have the mechanical and bumper to bumper extended warranty..
I was told that all extended warranty is rip-off. It kinda makes senses since $1280 for two more years of B-2-B warranty??? Aren't that too much?

How long is your B-2-B warranty? How much did they charge you?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:30 PM

My old 94 Max has been almost trouble free ever since I got it two years ago. In my mind, Maxima is a very reliable car if we treat it well, right?

Then why should I buy the extended warranty? Even something goes wrong, that chance is that it aren't gonna cost $1280 to fix it unless it is the engine or tranny which is already covered by 5 year 60,000 miles warranty.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by masama
I was told that all extended warranty is rip-off. It kinda makes senses since $1280 for two more years of B-2-B warranty??? Aren't that too much?

How long is your B-2-B warranty? How much did they charge you?

for both it was around 1500, b-2-b is to 72000 miles..
Old 10-11-2005, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
for both it was around 1500, b-2-b is to 72000 miles..

Mine was like 5 years and 75,000 for 1280, am I supposed to be happy about it then?

Tek, if you don't mind me asking, what motived you to purchase that warranty?
Old 10-11-2005, 03:48 PM
SuPeRmOd

i bought it. looking at the term extention wouldn't make sense. but once 3/36000 is up, many things are extended with this. plus you get road side assistance and a loaner. you're buying a close to bumper to bumper for the entire mileage.

get it, but perhaps shop around.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:52 PM

Mine was like 5 years and 75,000 for 1280, am I supposed to be happy about it then?

Tek, if you don't mind me asking, what motived you to purchase that warranty?

tell you the truth, i don't even remember the dealer asking.. they did throw in alot of extra stuff since this was our 3rd car through them.. so i think they just threw it in with a discount.

with everything: simoniz wax, mud flaps, warranty, max fully loaded, 29500 out the door back in nov 04..
Old 10-11-2005, 03:53 PM

Hey, guys. The dealer sold me so-called "Security+plus vehicle protection plan" for $1280.00. Should I buy it? Or it is just a pure rip-off!

Any comment is welcome.
I bought my 04 maxima in July of this year and Purchased a similar warranty to yours, but mine costed around 2400 if i remember correctly. I'm sure some jaws dropped from some reading this now, but the warranty was geared more towards electrical issues past the original warranty for 4 years, which i have only 12k left until my 3/36 is up.

My reasoning for purchasing it was that i had a Chevy Blazer back in the day (yeah yeah i know) and the "brain" for the vehicle that monitors the electrical components in the vehicle cr@pped out and was going to cost just 1500 for the part and an ungodly amount to install it. I ended up getting rid of it with the Check Engine Light on and a slew of others.

Getting back on topic... Though i would get the money back if not used after this nissan security+ extended warranty expired, the thought of having to go through replacing electronic components was worth it to me. I know the cost of the interest over the life of the loan would superceed the cost of NOT using it, but i was ok with that.

So... that's my two cents hope that helps.....
Old 10-11-2005, 04:02 PM

i bought it. looking at the term extention wouldn't make sense. but once 3/36000 is up, many things are extended with this. plus you get road side assistance and a loaner. you're buying a close to bumper to bumper for the entire mileage.

get it, but perhaps shop around.
What's a loaner? Money loaner with low APR?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:02 PM

I got it as well. its good to have in case
Old 10-11-2005, 04:08 PM

WOW, what a thorough answer you gave! I really appreciate it. I get your story and your reasoning. However, Chevy Blazer is not a well-built vehicle like our Maxima. As far as I know, most of Maxima's owners don't have a big issue with the built-quality as others. All my friends suggest me to cancel the warranty. Well, you guys gave a different opinion worth of considering.

Jeez, I am in a dilemma.

Originally Posted by majestic_maxi
I bought my 04 maxima in July of this year and Purchased a similar warranty to yours, but mine costed around 2400 if i remember correctly. I'm sure some jaws dropped from some reading this now, but the warranty was geared more towards electrical issues past the original warranty for 4 years, which i have only 12k left until my 3/36 is up.

My reasoning for purchasing it was that i had a Chevy Blazer back in the day (yeah yeah i know) and the "brain" for the vehicle that monitors the electrical components in the vehicle cr@pped out and was going to cost just 1500 for the part and an ungodly amount to install it. I ended up getting rid of it with the Check Engine Light on and a slew of others.

Getting back on topic... Though i would get the money back if not used after this nissan security+ extended warranty expired, the thought of having to go through replacing electronic components was worth it to me. I know the cost of the interest over the life of the loan would superceed the cost of NOT using it, but i was ok with that.

So... that's my two cents hope that helps.....
Old 10-11-2005, 04:23 PM

WOW, what a thorough answer you gave! I really appreciate it. I get your story and your reasoning. However, Chevy Blazer is not a well-built vehicle like our Maxima. As far as I know, most of Maxima's owners don't have a big issue with the built-quality as others. All my friends suggest me to cancel the warranty. Well, you guys gave a different opinion worth of considering.

Jeez, I am in a dilemma.
You know, you're right and i couldn't agree more... the Chevy Blazer doesn't come close to comparing to the quality of the Maxima (any year). The engine is built like a brick sh|t house in our maxima's, BUT i wanted a little security with the "you know never" thought, especially after my 3/36 is up. And hey!, i could free oil changes and wiper blades with that service! (absolutely worth the money JUST because of that! )
Old 10-11-2005, 04:40 PM
Newbie just Registered

Any comment is welcome.
I have never bought extended warranty for any car. I think for the money, you can put that money away and use it if the car ever need any major work.
If it gives you peace of mind, take Nismo's suggestion and shop around.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:43 PM

My dumb question of the day:

Can you buy an extended warranty after you have bought the car? Any idea where would be a good place to look?
Old 10-11-2005, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by DTinVA
My dumb question of the day:

Can you buy an extended warranty after you have bought the car? Any idea where would be a good place to look?

Sure you can. From the brochure I got from Nissan, I learned that you can buy the warranty any time within 36 months/36000 miles.

But the dealer told me the longer you wait, the higher the price will be. There is so called "surcharge" and it makes senses since the car is not brand new any more.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
I have never bought extended warranty for any car. I think for the money, you can put that money away and use it if the car ever need any major work.
If it gives you peace of mind, take Nismo's suggestion and shop around.

That's exactly what I thought too. Even something goes wrong, won't cost $1300 to fix it unless it is the engine or tranny (knock on the wood, konck on the wood) which is already covered by the 5 years/ 60,000 miles powertrain warranty.
Old 10-11-2005, 04:56 PM
SuPeRmOd

loaner: car in the shop, you get a free rental.
otherwise most dealers will shuttle to and from home/work.

"something goes wrong, won't cost $1300 to fix it"

you don't seem to recognize how many hundreds of electronics are present. you could never count the sensors invovled. and I'm sure the A/C is up there.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:05 PM

loaner: car in the shop, you get a free rental.
otherwise most dealers will shuttle to and from home/work.

"something goes wrong, won't cost $1300 to fix it"

you don't seem to recognize how many hundreds of electronics are present. you could never count the sensors invovled. and I'm sure the A/C is up there.

Actually, I do know how complicated an automobile is.

I just don't think within that first 5 years serious things might happen. After that, things might go downhill. But it is not covered by the warranty any more.

However, I totally agree with you, it happens.

I think it is just personal preference.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:07 PM
SuPeRmOd

and that is where You decide to get it or not. I bought it for 7 years/70k miles. And I plan to extend it before it expires. I didn't haggle or shop around, but my payments were lowered once I bought it. Plus I got 1.9% and only paid 200 over invoice, so it was basically free.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:12 PM

and that is where You decide to get it or not. I bought it for 7 years/70k miles. And I plan to extend it before it expires. I didn't haggle or shop around, but my payments were lowered once I bought it. Plus I got 1.9% and only paid 200 over invoice, so it was basically free.

You got a good deal then. Good for you.

I might extend the basic warranty later on if I don't feel confident with my car. Thanks for all the suggestions.

PS. how could your payments were lowered? Did you refinance your car?
Old 10-11-2005, 05:18 PM
SuPeRmOd

"but my payments were lowered once I bought it."
I put $2k down plus the warranty and the rest through Nissan. since they saw I was buying it, they decided to lower my price closer to what I wanted to pay. They were done dealing and began to tell me about the Altima, once I said I would pay the warranty right up front, they said well then we'll lower your payments to "this". I said cool, deal.
Old 10-11-2005, 05:21 PM

"but my payments were lowered once I bought it."
I put $2k down plus the warranty and the rest through Nissan. since they saw I was buying it, they decided to lower my price closer to what I wanted to pay. They were done dealing and began to tell me about the Altima, once I said I would pay the warranty right up front, they said well then we'll lower your payments to "this". I said cool, deal.

Cool!

"$200 above invoice", is it before or after tax?
Old 10-11-2005, 06:29 PM

Any comment is welcome.
I paid about the same price for that package which included extended b2b warranty upto 100k miles. This makes me pay $50 whenever I goto the dealer to get something fixed. It also included an alarm with remote start and a LoJack. I say go for it. I was told that the new Maximas have 23 computers and they are expensive if it needs to be replaced. Lojack also lowered my insurance by 15%
Old 10-11-2005, 06:37 PM
http://www.cardomain.com/my/ed

I got mine pretty much for free after talking then down on the price. They wanted 26k I got them down to 23.5k then I told them I wanted the security plus. Some say it is not worth it and I understand both sides but that warranty covers a lot of different parts. I can't put a price on piece of mind. I got mine for up to 84k miles. The car was also a certified used car in which the warranty on the powertrain was extended to 4 yrs. or 100k. I don't know if I am wrong but if you plan on doing some mods try to make sure it won't affect your warranty. I know one of the guys may be able to tell me if I am wrong. Good luck. One more thing I believe that AAA sales extended warranties. My buddy has it on his expedition and they did not profit from his. He has had a lot of warranty done. I know they aren't built to the standards but it depends if it makes you feel at ease.

Quick Reply: Maintanence Plus/Security Extended Service