6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

6th gen pet peeves

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2005, 12:25 PM

yeah, but most cell phone chargers are coiled wire which doesn't fit cleanly into that tiny little slot.

Being a non-smoker, I like the placement of the '04's cig lighters, even if I thought they were odd at first
Old 02-08-2005, 12:52 PM

My peeves are

1. The loss of power from my 2002. Major difference down low.
2. Nighttime NAV screen is hard to read..I keep on daylight black background.
3. SL came with damn 225-17s.
4. The fact that I got out to run in store and left car running, came out and the damn doors LOCKED on there own. Had to get Nissan cut a new key. Car ran for hour and half.
5. Foglights are in the wrong place. They take away from the Xenon. I leave mine off.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:30 PM

They definitely got the order of the lights wrong, but the only thing that bothers me is city mileage. Hell, even with 2k shift it's a bit on the low side
Old 02-08-2005, 01:40 PM

yep, since i'm home from work for a month, i do a lot more city driving, and my average mpg with 95% city is 15 mpg.

the VQ does seem to suck down more gas when driving in the city, regardless of how easy you take it on the throttle.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:53 PM
SuPeRmOd

you guys either really hammer it consistently, use lower octane, and/or idle way too much. I get 20 mpg all city. If i feel more spirited, maybe mid 19. long highway trips easily yield 30 mpg (rare b/c that's at speed limit) high speed I see around 25 highway.

if you guys warm up properly (start up, get situated, and go) drive as close to 2k RPM until temp is halfway, i'm sure your mileage will go up.
Old 02-08-2005, 02:59 PM

dome lights

Originally Posted by wsu
Is there a way to turn on all the interior dome lights at once with one switch? Perhaps I have missed something, but from my experimentation so far with the light switches, the only way to turn on all of the dome lights is to either open a door or actually turn on all four switches (two in front and two in back). Many cars have a setting on the stalk on the steering wheel or a switch on the front panel around the steering wheel, but I have not been able to find anything that will turn on all of the dome lights at once. Does anyone know differently?
I don't think I misunderstood your dilemma, but don't you have a 3 position switch right in the centre of your front dome light module that says on the switch "off", "door" and "on"...the "on" position puts all interior lights on front and back, at least in my SE-4seat.
Old 02-08-2005, 03:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

One more pet peeve...

they should have reversed the controls for the hvac and the radio system. That sure would make it a lot neater to replace the factory head unit with something else...
Old 02-08-2005, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by us024077
One more pet peeve...

they should have reversed the controls for the hvac and the radio system. That sure would make it a lot neater to replace the factory head unit with something else...
Err... what?

The head unit is independent of the controls for the AC. The buttons on the side of the loading slot are just "pegs" that push the actual buttons on the HU itself, so you can just take the whole thing out without disturbing much.

I do agree that the dash kit is a PITA, but it does give it a nice "flow", where you don't really see an ugly head unit, just the slot and the buttons. Swap it out for the Metra kit and you're in business.

But I think I understand your point... integration is a real pain because of the current setup. Adding an aftermarket head unit sucks if you can't control it with the steering wheel, or if the rest of the buttons to change stations and what-not are of no use afterwards. Like I said though, I think the system is pretty decent in itself and looks nice. It's a shame that there's no mp3 support though...
Old 02-08-2005, 04:51 PM

What I'm saying is if they put the hvac controls on the top portion, and the radio controls on the bottom portion, if you change the head unit with the trim kit, you get rid of the useless radio control buttons, and the hvac controls are on the top portion where they aren't affected.

If you notice some who replace the head unit with one that has a 7" lcd screen, it covers up the hvac controls. had the hvac controls been on top, then it wouldn't cover up anything, and they wouldn't even be there anyway.
Old 02-08-2005, 04:57 PM
my rear view mirrors flap like a f-ing bird

What I'm saying is if they put the hvac controls on the top portion, and the radio controls on the bottom portion, if you change the head unit with the trim kit, you get rid of the useless radio control buttons, and the hvac controls are on the top portion where they aren't affected.

If you notice some who replace the head unit with one that has a 7" lcd screen, it covers up the hvac controls. had the hvac controls been on top, then it wouldn't cover up anything, and they wouldn't even be there anyway.
is this what you mean here, the headunit covers the buttons... or you can do something like the bottom pic, so 2 choices atleast.. I get what you mean bout the hvac controls on top, I guess that is a flaw if you go with a dvd/tv player, but even that can be eliminated with pic 2..

Old 02-08-2005, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by Tek-Niq
hey CANADIANMOFO, plain and simple. go to "settings" right by the joystic, press it and you will come to a menu. scroll thru untill you see "auto lock" on or off. you don't want it on move to off. this will deactivated....

now pay me, I accept paypal...........
Maybe I am missing something on this. I did as you said and I did nit see any autolock option on my menu. The only things there relative to the locks were for the remote unlock for which door opens first and also a option for timed relock which was set to one minute. Can you give more detail on exactly where this setting can be accessed? Or is it an optional equipment thing which my car may not have?

Thanks,
Ed
Old 02-08-2005, 05:52 PM

I don't own a 6th gen (yet), but on the test drive I took, one very minor detail was the size of the guages. The speedo and tach seem a bit small, making all the numbers too close together. Again, not a big deal at all. I just assume it is just my "old" eyes not seeing like they used to! But along those same lines, all the controls on the center stack are a bit too small as well.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

There is no autolock option when you put the car in drive. The personalization capability has to do with auto relock if you don't enter the car within a settable time after you have unlocked it with the remote.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:29 PM

Originally Posted by Rathmax
There is no autolock option when you put the car in drive. The personalization capability has to do with auto relock if you don't enter the car within a settable time after you have unlocked it with the remote.
Thanks for the info. I kinf of thought that may be the case. Strange Nissan didn't think of putting that in the new Maxima though.
Old 02-08-2005, 06:41 PM

Well, I guess I'll sell my Max because my only pet peeve about it is, that the vanity mirrors don't dim. Syke!!! But they really don't dim.

The Max is the only car that can handle my handsome looks.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:39 PM
wrj

My suggested improvement would be something I never seen on any car but I would certainly like. That is, separate control for temperature near my feet. As I get up there in age combined with living in the far North, I would like to get my feet warmer without increasing the temp throughout the entire car.

Next improvement...have a delay on the auto headlamps turn on sensor. I have HIDs and read turning them on (and off) too often shortens the bulb life. I don't want them going on in broad daylight when I pull into my garage.
Old 02-09-2005, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by wrj
My suggested improvement would be something I never seen on any car but I would certainly like. That is, separate control for temperature near my feet. As I get up there in age combined with living in the far North, I would like to get my feet warmer without increasing the temp throughout the entire car.

Next improvement...have a delay on the auto headlamps turn on sensor. I have HIDs and read turning them on (and off) too often shortens the bulb life. I don't want them going on in broad daylight when I pull into my garage.
I always thought the dual air flow (through the upper and lower vents concurrently) did this, with warmer air coming out the bottom, cooler air out the dashboard vents. However, I don't know what that temperature differential might be or should be.

I'm with you on the HIDs; I have the same experience. A delay before they come on would prevent them from coming on not only when pulling into a garage, but when going through some underpasses at certain times of the day.
Old 02-09-2005, 05:38 PM

Originally Posted by wrj

Maybe thats an idea for a heated floormats option like the steering wheel and seats are.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:06 PM
wsu

Seeing Gauges

Originally Posted by mm7759
I don't own a 6th gen (yet), but on the test drive I took, one very minor detail was the size of the guages. The speedo and tach seem a bit small, making all the numbers too close together. Again, not a big deal at all. I just assume it is just my "old" eyes not seeing like they used to! But along those same lines, all the controls on the center stack are a bit too small as well.
I agree that not only are the gauges a bit small, the line of sight through the steering wheel is a problem. When I adjust the seat and steering wheel most comfortably, the gauges are blocked a bit by the 2 o'clock and 10 o'clock body of steering wheel. Personally, I find the many buttons of the center stack annoying. I prefer dials, which may merely be a personal preference as opposed to a broader ergonomic consideration for others too.
Old 02-14-2005, 03:09 PM
wsu

A high button

Originally Posted by 2004redse
I don't think I misunderstood your dilemma, but don't you have a 3 position switch right in the centre of your front dome light module that says on the switch "off", "door" and "on"...the "on" position puts all interior lights on front and back, at least in my SE-4seat.
Thanks. Yes, you are correct. It still annoys me to have to reach up in the middle of the cabin to turn on the dome lights. In the dark it is easy to open the sunroof instead. This has already been done once by a passenger. I prefer a setting on the stalk on the steering wheel that controls other lights.
Old 02-14-2005, 07:06 PM

I've had my car almost 2 years now and I've had the display taken apart and the white buildup on the back of the screen cleaned twice ...and its dirty again now. Have they fixed this problem yet on the cars they're selling now?
Old 02-15-2005, 03:34 PM

Basically, I love my car to the Max (pun intended). But, I would very much have appreciated an infinitely variable delayed wiper action. Also, a double-wide skyview one could actually see out of.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:58 PM

My only issues are the truning radius....and the AC system, when left on AUTO still has a mind of it's own.

Engine.....nice and tight
Electrical......besides the HVAC system having quirks....no issues
Body build quality......nice, straight, no issues
Rattles....well, when you have 1000 watts of amp and sub, to be expected
Paint.....no quality issues
Interior quality.....cloth seats are nice, all plastic is great...except easily scratched bogus aluminum trim, fixed that with my new silver carbon overlay
Stereo.....non-Bose....sounds great, no issues at all, wish it played MP3 though
Skyroof....love it, no leaks and looks nice.
Suspention.....not bad for a big car, no strut problems here.

NOW....CRAPPY DEALERSHIPS AND SERVICE....different issue, but you get them from ANY car make....even Mercedes, first hand experience.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:20 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by carcus
My only issues are the truning radius....and the AC system, when left on AUTO still has a mind of it's own.
but carcus, in AUTO it's supposed to have a mind of its own.
my master mech. friend for subaru (beofer toyota) said that the A/C is designed to run year round now (as stated before here). it interested him that Nissan allowed us to know it was on where toyota had no indicator, but in fact stayed on, not allowing you to turn off.

at AUTO 75 I like it just fine. ince how it full blasts in summer then backs off. very nice how it waits in the winter then slowly only lets out heat until full blast then backs off again.

now i have to agree on the rear duct flaw. seems unecesary since it takes forever (if even works at all).

curious to why you don't like the HVAC?
_______
turning radius: i thought everyone knew with our even wider wheelbase, it would be worse than the 5th gen?
_______
want a real peeve? Nissan choice of RSA. wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the splitting.... but they're only a little cheaper than the A/S Michillens which are rated much better.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
but carcus, in AUTO it's supposed to have a mind of its own.
my master mech. friend for subaru (beofer toyota) said that the A/C is designed to run year round now (as stated before here). it interested him that Nissan allowed us to know it was on where toyota had no indicator, but in fact stayed on, not allowing you to turn off.

at AUTO 75 I like it just fine. ince how it full blasts in summer then backs off. very nice how it waits in the winter then slowly only lets out heat until full blast then backs off again.

now i have to agree on the rear duct flaw. seems unecesary since it takes forever (if even works at all).

curious to why you don't like the HVAC?
_______
turning radius: i thought everyone knew with our even wider wheelbase, it would be worse than the 5th gen?
_______
want a real peeve? Nissan choice of RSA. wouldn't be so bad if it wasn't for the splitting.... but they're only a little cheaper than the A/S Michillens which are rated much better.
Well, as far as the HVAC and Auto mode.....stationed in Mississippi...the humidity out here, you have to experience it to understand what I mean, it makes the AC freak out. Actually, at 90% humidity, almost impossible to get the fog off the windshield alot of the time. Hey, I am origionally from Cali....but this system sucks down here in Mississippi. I really have to play with it, and this is not the first auto HVAC system I have owned. Actually the worst out of my Lincoln Mark VIII, Mercedes ML320, and BMW 328IC. Humidity makes you sweat and feel hot sometimes when it is a low temp outside....the HVAC tries to dry the air...but at high humidity levels...only so much it can do, now in PA....I am sure you do not experience this issue.

Rear duct for the rear seat....I say it is just for looks out here. Never works, again, high humidity. Again, climate plays a big part of my issue with the HVAC system. Has some pretty lights on it, but it works 50/50 for me.......at least with humidity. Manual setting work best in this enviroment.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:44 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by carcus
Well, as far as the HVAC and Auto mode.....stationed in Mississippi...the humidity out here.....
Understood. man that sucks. aren't you relocating soon?
Old 02-15-2005, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
Understood. man that sucks. aren't you relocating soon?
5 and a half months left. I will tell you though, humidity sucks. It really takes a toll on the HVAC. Now, the system works fine last time in Texas....well, when we had the hurricane evac...but really have to drive the car here. Just like the Canada guys having problems with the heater....I have not driven it in that environment so have no tips to give them. Hopefully, going to a less humid environment next. Hey, this is the place where you walk out of your house.....your are sweating just walking and going into a AC environment. Sometimes I just have to put it in manual mode on high blower, hell, in auto mode if you turn the temp down to low 60....fan will not kick on. This is not from my experience a fault with Nissan....just live in an environment that tests the system. Adapt and overcome.
Old 02-15-2005, 11:28 PM

Sometimes the humidity in Mississippi is so thick my fresh crisp shirtsleeves wilt and become soggy against my arms in a matter of seconds after I leave the hotel.

70 degrees in Mississippi humidity is far more uncomfortable than 115 degrees in southern Arizona. I have walked the streets of Tucson when the temp was 115, and as long as I had a cap on my head, was not uncomfortably hot. The sweat is gone before it even reaches the shirt.

I had good luck with my '04 AC last summer, and the humidity can get rather bad south of Atlanta. Carcus - Are you sure the AC dryer on your '04 is working properly?
Old 03-03-2005, 05:53 AM

Not too much to complain about after only 1,100 miles. Right now the only two pet peeves I have (that I didn't notice during the test drives) are:

• The leather steering wheel wrap - I really don't like it. The textured leather feels more like vinyl than leather. I wish it was more of a smooth leather like the shift ****. At least that's what it's like in our Murano and the wheel feels much nicer.

• Leg room for the left foot - seems like the contour of the floorboard cuts in too quick on the left side and I can't get my left foot comfortable. In fact, it's fallen asleep on me a couple of times. I'm sure I'll eventually find a position for it. I'm 6'2 and the car has plenty of room and the seating postition is very comfortable except for my left foot.

oh yeah, maybe one more small thing - the pointyness (is that a word?) of the rear door is a little bothersome. Especially when you take a 2yo out of a car seat a couple times a day. I feel like if I'm not overly careful I going to hurt him on it.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:23 AM

- It is not obvious if the heated seat switches are "on"
- the arrangement of the headlight switch
- Homelink buttons are not backlit

The above means I am 99.9% satisfied with my Max most of the time, and 150% when it responds with effortless power whenever I want or need it.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:56 AM
UCF Lexus

oh god not again
Old 03-03-2005, 07:13 AM

Originally Posted by bijangxe
oh god not again
nice, real nice - I see that because YOU don't want to talk about it anymore, none of us should.

excuse me for bringing back a thread that's a couple weeks old.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:04 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima TL

• Leg room for the left foot - seems like the contour of the floorboard cuts in too quick on the left side and I can't get my left foot comfortable. In fact, it's fallen asleep on me a couple of times. I'm sure I'll eventually find a position for it. I'm 6'2 and the car has plenty of room and the seating postition is very comfortable except for my left foot.

That's funny. I think the same thing everytime my ride is longer than 15 minutes. I'm 6'1 and I had the same issue with my 5th gen.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 AM
SuPeRmOd

I'm 6'0 and find the Max leg room the most accomodating in any sedan, EVAR. (and I'm "long legged")Maybe I'm the perfect height? I just don't see how 2" or even 1" makes that much more of a difference. This is the only car I have ever felt comfortable in. My legs don't touch the sterring wheel for once. I keep my foot on the dead pedal area and feel fine.
Old 03-04-2005, 01:55 PM

1. doors don't lock on starting u
2. wrong order of light controls (auto before parking lights)
3. pedals aren't adjustable
I agree with the above, One thing I think everyone missed is to awfull turning radius. My Ford Expedition is easier to make U turns in. Do not get me wrong, I love my 04 Maxima (Bronze, Burnt Orange Leather, Elite Package). But a couple of things drive me nuts

Does anyone with the Elite Package have a problem with the Rear Power Sun Shade rattling?
Old 03-04-2005, 02:49 PM

I will add front wheel drive, next car I am going back to RWD or getting an AWD car.
Also Maxima has a horrible turning radius, its like a Jumbo jet.

and yeah, it has the fuel economy of a V8
Old 03-04-2005, 04:32 PM

it has the fuel economy of a V8
Uh.. as mentioned before you guys must really keep your foot in it! Wife drove a Jeep GJL (v8) for 4 years, average 14.5 mpg, mostly city. She's averaging 21 now (over 2,000 miles). And yes, she is known to stand on it. IMHO, 21 mpg around town in a car this size that's this quick? No problem at all.
Old 03-04-2005, 11:12 PM

Tons of problems, but I still love her

Liquid Silver 2004 6 spd. SE with 18" MKW Triple Coated Chrome wheels (a.k.a Triple Coated Bling Bling) and 19K miles

Pet Peeves:

* Home link buttons not lit
* Sideview mirror switches aren't lit
* Steering wheel switches aren't lit
* I wish the auto light switch selection was last on the stalk, so I could flip on parking lights at dusk without first having the HID's kick on.
* Can't see the sideview mirror, heated steering, folding sideview mirror switches (poor location)
* Heated seat switchs are poorly located and the seats don't heat up very well. My Lincoln's seats heat up very quickly and get really warm. Love the Heated steering wheel in the Max though.
* 2004 doesn't have the short throw shifter and clutch is a little vague
* Headrest don't go up high enough, I'm 6'6"
* Eagle RSA tires suck, I'm on my third set replaced for free. 1st set had the stress cracks, 2nd and 3rd sets would not balance, had heavy spots in the tires. They still can't get them balanced. Nissan is going to pay for Michelin replacements for my 4th set. I'm planning on Y-rated Pilot Sport A/S's. Car only has 19k miles and has been an ordeal. Luckily I'm getting a far superior tire replacement.

* Tons of other issue including, two struts replaced, steering rack adjustment, machined rotors, replaced peeling grille (they scratched the paint on two different ocassions upon installation of the grille and had to repaint bumper area), sway bar link arm and bushings replaced, CD player and radio replaced (skipped all the time, they scratched the dash and trim ring around the shifter when doing this), back deck rattled (took 4 trips to get fixed), silver trim from front window to roof to back window all replaced due to broken clips and it was bowing, shift **** replaced (leather cracking and peeling), driver seat track replaced (seat shudder and squeaking), several trim pieces scratched and/or broken were replaced, emergency brakes adjusted twice, took off MKW rims and installed stock rims to see if rims were the issue with balancing and scratched all four of my stock rims.

There's more, the pictures on my keyfob have completely rubbed off (my 7 year old Lincoln keyfob still looks like new), the tail pipes are lower on one side than the other (I don't even want them to mess with it, who knows what might happen), a couple of rattles that I can't pinpoint, and the paint on the bumpers, hood, and front fender wells does not hold up well (tons of stone chips and also the paint job around the black insert on the front bumper is really sloppy). Nisssan is setting up an appointment for me with a paint engineer, hopefully I can get these area repainted. My 7 year old Lincoln paint looks better and has less chips!

The funny thing is that I still love this car! It's hot with the triple coated bling bling. It is a blast to drive when the tires are right. Of course I have had the opportunity to drive just about every car known to man since it has been in the shop so many times for extended periods, so it make me appreciate the Max. At least the dealer has always provided me with a free loaner. I guess this is what you get with a car in it's first year of production.