6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Aiming Headlights (+color change)

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2005, 11:25 AM

Aiming Headlights on 2005 Maxima

Anyone...

Does anyone know how to properly aim the headlights on a 2005 Maxima SE?

I need to know the following:

1. Where is the vertical adjusting screw if there is one? (already found the horizontal)
2. What are the best procedures to aim them?
3. I found a aiming mark (little circle) on the headlights. How is that used in the aiming process?

Basically I'm still having issues with my drivers side headlight. I've adjusted it to be lower since it was brighter than the passenger's side. It's somewhat fine now other than the pattern is very low on the drivers side and normal on the passengers side and I see a white headlight on the drivers side and a bluish headlight on the passenger side. With Xenon HID headlights, the lights are suppose to be bluish if on flat ground, right? I've see other Maxima's (2005's) on the road with bluish headlights.

If anyone can help, thanks ahead of time....

Jimbo
Old 02-05-2005, 12:10 PM

I would recommend you take it to the dealer. They will adjust them for no charge. For the safety of you and others on the road, you want to make sure your HIDs are adjusted properly.

Nissan service techs have the tools and knowledge to do the job right.

Just my .02....
Old 02-05-2005, 01:35 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

If you've already adjusted them lower you have found the vertical (up and down) adjustment screw and you are looking for the horizontal (side to side) adjustment screw. The horizontal adjustment I think is covered by a small opaque plastic cap. Look around the back side of the drivers side when the air box is out of the way and you should be able to locate it.

CM
Old 02-05-2005, 09:50 PM

From a certain angle, the bluish area is visible on all HID Maximas.

Drive up to a white wall and look closely at the beams. When I do that, I see a lavendar crescent around the light pattern; more pronounced on the right (passenger) side. When that portion of the crescent happens to be directed at one's eyes, the light looks blue. I have seen that blue light from many Maximas at night; usually from the right beam.

Like CanadianMoFo says, the 13mm phillips hex-head screw is the vertical adjustment. I have never found the lateral adjustment screw.

Not having the necessary tools to reach this vertical adjustment screw, I had the dealer lower my low-beams BELOW the recommended level. I find night driving to be a lot more pleasant now. And I can still spot planes at 10,000 feet by simply flicking on my million candlepower brights . . .
Old 02-05-2005, 10:09 PM
SuPeRmOd

the blue is the reflection of our HID Kelvin rating on the low beam cut-off. I still suspect your one is actually halogen. Did the dealer just give up on you?
Old 03-06-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by NismoMax80
the blue is the reflection of our HID Kelvin rating on the low beam cut-off. I still suspect your one is actually halogen. Did the dealer just give up on you?
Nismo...

Sorry for the late response...the dealership insists they did the lowest position, even though when I got it home, I was able to lower it even more. So they didn't do the work they said.

Basically I can see the bluish at the top of the light on the passenger side, but not on the drivers side. If I park my car in my garage and go to the end of my driver which is lower, I can bend down slightly and see the bluish on the passenger side, but not on the drivers side. I think I need to do a horizontal adjustment. I plan on doing this on a flat surface with the vehicle parked 25ft from a wall, and then adjust. The dealer did mention the bulb might just brighter...so if thats the case...I'll probably opt to get it replaced first, re-adjusted by them and then see what happens before I go to step two.

Thanks all for the input!

Jimbo

BTW - where is the horizontal adjusting screw...I looked all over the place with my 3,000,000 power spotlight...still can't find it. I would think it would be visable so a mechanic can make adjustments when needed and not have to remove parts like the air box for the drivers side or the plastic cover on the passengers side...I'm at TOTAL loss on this...found the vertical adjustment screw a long time ago...just can find the horizontal one.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:40 PM

Hope this helps:

Old 03-07-2005, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by PaL379
Hope this helps:

PAL379! Outstanding! I can't thank you enough! This is by far the best information I have received. One question though...are these HIDs from a 2005 Maxima? I see what appears to be a black adjusting screw...but it looks like plastic. I know the vertical is metal basically bolting down a device with teeth on it.

Well...based on this pic, CanandianMoFo was right...looks like I'll have to remove the airbox to get to it. Kind of a stupid way to get to the headlight adjustments...and before I get flamed...I know it has to be done right, especially with HIDs...but the dealer is not helping much. Thanks all!

Jimbo
Old 03-07-2005, 08:00 AM

its the same screw as the vertical (with teeth), the only thing is that they have a plastic cap covering it. no clue why though.

I believe these were off an 04 Maxima. Even my 05 halogen headlights have the same plastic cap covering the screw.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:33 AM

Cool. Now I don't have to send pics. Thats what I was talking about. And those pics are much clearer than what I could take.

CM
Old 03-07-2005, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by CanadianMoFo
Cool. Now I don't have to send pics. Thats what I was talking about. And those pics are much clearer than what I could take.

CM
Hey...thanks to Both of you...couldn't have asked for better support! I did contact the dealership and talked to the service manager and he said, "You have a 32K car...we'll ensure it's fixed to your standard"...even though I didn't come near paying 32K, but anyhow he assured me that they would get it fixed, aligned or replaced and put me in a loaner Maxima should it take more than a day. He said (which some folks said here too) it may be the wrong bulb put in at the factory. He also said that both lights when looking at them straight on...should have that bluish tint to it and equal brightness.

I have appointment with them on Wednesday...I'll let you all know how it goes. Hopefully no problems, cause getting to that horizontal screw is going to be work if I have to do it.

Thanks guys!

Jimbo
Old 03-07-2005, 12:44 PM

I love how dealers say its the wrong bulb. I have to take more pics of the xenon lighting to show the max peeps who have xenon what exactly they have in their headlights. A xenon bulb (a.k.a D2S bulb) has a round bottom shape. A 9012 bulb, the stock halogen bulbs, have a bottom like the 900X models. So to put a wrong bulb in pretty hard to do. Now if one side was a halogen headlamp and the other was a hid headlamp, then yeah, that has happened before.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now remember, the more you aim your headlights down, the LESS blue/purple color you will get, and you'll get more light hitting the road.

so aiming it lower will mean that you will have to drop your eye level even lower to see it.

Anyways, let us know what happens after you get the car adjusted!
Old 03-07-2005, 01:32 PM

I love how dealers say its the wrong bulb. I have to take more pics of the xenon lighting to show the max peeps who have xenon what exactly they have in their headlights. A xenon bulb (a.k.a D2S bulb) has a round bottom shape. A 9012 bulb, the stock halogen bulbs, have a bottom like the 900X models. So to put a wrong bulb in pretty hard to do. Now if one side was a halogen headlamp and the other was a hid headlamp, then yeah, that has happened before.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
now remember, the more you aim your headlights down, the LESS blue/purple color you will get, and you'll get more light hitting the road.

so aiming it lower will mean that you will have to drop your eye level even lower to see it.

Anyways, let us know what happens after you get the car adjusted!
PAL...Your right on aiming the light down more...the less purple-ish/blue-ish look...I never got it when it was up. I would have to go to the extreme right to actually see it when staring directly at the car. So the horizontal aim was off too. Even the light was almost at the lowest level, it was still brighter than the passenger side when bending down to look at the HIDs straight on. So I'm thinking whole assembly is off at this point, but hopefully the dealership will do me right on this issue...I'll keep you all posted! Thanks!

Jimbo
Old 03-07-2005, 07:13 PM
SuPeRmOd

I only stated that it may be the wrong bulb b/c there was a member on here that had one HID setup and one halogen setup. his dealership found this out when he had a similar problem. he had to wait for a new assembly to arrive. not sure but IIRC another member said his dealer found a holegen bulb in his HID setup and was amazed it was actually working.
Old 03-07-2005, 10:04 PM

I hear ya Nismo, but its just hard to believe the service guys. I can believe one side halogen and one side hid, but to have the halogen bulb in a xenon projector is difficult because the 9012 bulb will not fit secure in the xenon projector. But hey stranger things have happened!

I will try to post some pics of hid projectors, the halogen projectors and the respective bulbs that accompany them
Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 PM

OK here we go...

First off, here is a picture of a xenon bulb and the halogen bulb

Here is another clear shot of them

This is what the back of the halogen head lamp looks like

This is what the back of the xenon projector looks like
Old 03-07-2005, 10:44 PM

continued.........

This is the xenon projector with the bulb attached to the ballast

This is a picture of a halogen bulb in the xenon projector

the halogen bulb cannot lock in securely in the xenon projector. You see how the xenon bulb gets connected (the pic above)

This is what the halogen bulb connects to
Old 03-08-2005, 04:59 AM

The guy that had 1 of each (HID and Halogen - installed that way at the factory) was me - the only way that I could tell is that the driver's side was not as bright as the passenger side, and if you compared the light color reflecting on the chrome housing the driver's side was more "yellow" than the passenger side - subtle difference but clearly visible once you looked - and my wife made the comment that from a distance it was clear that there was a difference in the light coming from the headlights at night. The dealer replaced the Halogen assembly on the driver's side with an HID one - sent the car to a body shop for the install so that they did not mess up the front end. Came out perfect, and no hassle from the dealer. They were great!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:30 AM
SuPeRmOd

great pics PaL, I figured it was pretty far fectched having a Halo bulb w/ HID setup. So are you saying that having just the ballast and DS2 bulb are not enough to covert to HID as I beforehand mentioned?

04SEelite, I knew I wasn't crazy. I know you had a good chuckle when you heard the news. you suspect your Max was half way done over a holiday, or ....nevermind. I cannot even speculate how it could happen. and no sure I really want to know how.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:43 AM

I was just happy that both the front seats were the same color - HAHAHA - I was just glad that the dealer was so willing to complete the light package the way it was supposed to be without giving me a hassle - just wish I could solve the rattle issues and the car would be PERFECT! Got the shimmy fixed, but the rattles persist. Oh, well, just turn up the stereo and keep the Berk howling and the rattles fade away...
Old 03-08-2005, 06:26 AM

So are you saying that having just the ballast and DS2 bulb are not enough to covert to HID as I beforehand mentioned?
right, you need a xenon projector as well. or else the light output on the car will look like a big mess.

ok so we finally found the person's name with the half halogen/half HID car!
Old 03-09-2005, 08:07 PM

Had the Dealership Look at The Headlights - Update

Everyone!

Had my appointment with the dealership today. Had the same service guy and he remembered my situation. Basically it came down to they aimed the headlights the best they could, but still the driver's side was brighter. Again, the passenger side was ok...driver's side have a problem. So they went ahead and ordered new HID bulbs (at 138 dollars a piece) for me and will install new one's for both headlights. It didn't have a wrong one, but he mentioned the drivers side HID had a different stamp on it that didn't match up to the passenger side. Not sure what that's about, but their working the issue.

So bottom line...they are taking care of me at this point which is good. I'll let you know what the new lights do...
Old 03-09-2005, 10:12 PM

also, now that you have new bulbs being installed, the lights will be whiter. The bulbs go through a "color shift" after 200 hours. you might be seeing bright white at first, but in time they will turn more blue/purple.

the dealership is eating the cost of the bulbs for you right?
Old 03-10-2005, 05:11 AM

also, now that you have new bulbs being installed, the lights will be whiter. The bulbs go through a "color shift" after 200 hours. you might be seeing bright white at first, but in time they will turn more blue/purple.

the dealership is eating the cost of the bulbs for you right?
Pal...yes the dealership is eating the cost...covered under warranty. Not sure why there getting the passenger side...probably to ensure that they have done both sides and they no for sure there is no problem.

So the bulbs go through a color shift after 200 hours? Is this issue explained in the manual? Didn't know that. 200 hours can be while when only do 40 miles a day to and from work.

Do you or anyone have a picture from their driver's seat through the windshield of their light pattern on the ground? I did get to drive it early this morning...I think it's way to low...now on both sides, but more so on the drivers side. But I think this is to account for the problem I've been dealing with...much brighter on the driver's side. Thanks!

Jimbo

P.S. - I'll take a pic tonight of my light pattern and you all can tell me what you think or compare....
Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 AM
SuPeRmOd

something roughly like this:

color shift? where did you learn that from? the bluish is from the reflection off the low beam shutter. with high beams they looking blindingly white b/c they are fully exposed and not reflecting off anything.

I doubt they will, but I'd ask the dealer to at least let you have the old/good bulb.
Old 03-10-2005, 05:26 AM

sorry I am a HID fanatic...

What is color shift?
The labled light color on an HID bulb is an average that it will maintain over 2-3000 hours. After passing around 100-500 hours the phenonmen "color shift" will take place. Color will change slightly from a yellowish tone to a crisper bluer tone. The magnitude of color shift will vary depending on brand, model and rated color. It is a very gradual change and unless paid close attention to, a customer might not notice. OEM 4100K Bulbs manufactured by Philips has been reported to have a more noticeable color shift than OEM 4100K Osram. OEM 4100K Bulbs manufactured by Philips has a colorshift of approx 250K after 500 hours, which will bring it to up to 4350K.

-Maximas have Osram bulbs.

Here is where I got that info from:
http://faqlight.carpassion.info/hl-hid-bulbs.htm
Old 03-10-2005, 07:06 AM

something roughly like this:

color shift? where did you learn that from? the bluish is from the reflection off the low beam shutter. with high beams they looking blindingly white b/c they are fully exposed and not reflecting off anything.

I doubt they will, but I'd ask the dealer to at least let you have the old/good bulb.
Nismo...the pattern you have drawn up kinda looks like that. It only projects out about 20 feet or so in front of the car. Is this correct? I guess I'm not used to this pattern. My VW Passat had projector beams with out HID bulbs...only PIAA extreme whites (I believe), but the pattern was even across and projected out further. Again, I'll get a good picture tonight and post it. They you all can comment if it looks like your patterns...thanks!

Jimbo
Old 03-10-2005, 07:07 AM

What is color shift?
The labled light color on an HID bulb is an average that it will maintain over 2-3000 hours. After passing around 100-500 hours the phenonmen "color shift" will take place. Color will change slightly from a yellowish tone to a crisper bluer tone. The magnitude of color shift will vary depending on brand, model and rated color. It is a very gradual change and unless paid close attention to, a customer might not notice. OEM 4100K Bulbs manufactured by Philips has been reported to have a more noticeable color shift than OEM 4100K Osram. OEM 4100K Bulbs manufactured by Philips has a colorshift of approx 250K after 500 hours, which will bring it to up to 4350K.

Pal...thanks for the info...I didn't even know or realize this. HIDs do have a lot of data on them...thanks!

Jimbo
Old 03-16-2005, 07:37 PM

Everyone!

The dealership put new bulbs in my HID lights today...no charge. They re-aimed them and the service advisor even provided me the official data sheet for aiming the headlights on the 2005 Maxima. If it's useful to anyone else, let me know and I'll scan it in sometime and post a link to it. Haven't checked the pattern yet, but I'll see it tomorrow morning when I drive. Hopefully the brighter headlight on the driver's side is resolved.

Jimbo
Old 03-16-2005, 08:49 PM

yes Jimbo, I would definitely use it. Mine are aimed too low.

When doing my retro fit, I messed up with the alignment (plus i decided to aim them in the middle of winter so it was half @$$).

This site rocks
Old 03-17-2005, 09:53 AM

yeah Jimbo do that please and I'll Stick it.
Guys...I'll get it done. I'll hook up my scanner tonight and get it in. Now beware that I don't know some of the acronymns on the form, but it shows the proper pattern you should see, how to measure stuff, etc. I'll get back to you all tonight on this...and Nismo...let me know what I should scan it in as? Graphic? PDF (I think I can do PDF)...let me know....

Jimbo
Old 03-17-2005, 07:52 PM

File Link: http://www.geocities.com/cpt_jimbo/2005Maxima.jpg Be sure to maximize the view.

Jimbo
Old 03-17-2005, 08:32 PM
SuPeRmOd

yeah, like I said, I'm clueless on certain things. but now i know. your pic post will be STUCK in the Info Sticky.
thanks.
Old 03-21-2005, 09:22 AM

jimbo, thanks for posting the picture. how are your lights aimed now?
Sorry Pal...I forgot to update. The headlights are aimed perfectly now. The dealership found that the bulbs in the car had a different stamp on them then what they know comes from the plant, so they put in Nissan stock HID bulbs in and everything is good go. They aimed them according to that sheet that was posted which is for the 2005 Maxima.

Jimbo
Old 04-03-2005, 04:31 PM
Banned

What is color shift?

Why is the FAQ link so poorly written? When the grammer is THIS bad I have trouble believing the information....just me..
Old 04-03-2005, 08:11 PM
Banned

Anyway, does anyone think getting PIAA's HID's would be a good idea? I guess you would most likely want the dealer to install the $400 pair. I wonder how they look, mine are yellowing slightly from age I suspect.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:13 PM

then replace them with the philips d2s bulbs. you can get a set for 75 bucks from hidplanet.com dont go with the piaas.

also yeah that link i posted has bad writing, but the information is nice to know.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:14 PM
SuPeRmOd

gotcha. yeah, i've learned to accept poor translations. just have to look past it and make due i suppose. i recall receiving my high-end video card, my brain hurt after reading the supposed english sent directly from Asia.
Old 04-03-2005, 08:16 PM
Banned

No PIAA's PAL? why not? Personally I think something as expensive as an HID bulb...id be very weary to buy a brand not used as OEM on high end cars if ya know what i mean, so i agree...Philips are used on BMW it says right?
Old 04-03-2005, 08:17 PM
SuPeRmOd

Originally Posted by 04BlackMaxx
Anyway, does anyone think getting PIAA's HID's would be a good idea? I guess you would most likely want the dealer to install the $400 pair. I wonder how they look, mine are yellowing slightly from age I suspect.
how many miles? lights are covered under warranty. if your high on miles then like PaL said, just get the oem bulbs off the link in hid coversion sticky.

Quick Reply: Aiming Headlights (+color change)