6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Magnaflows

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 05:46 PM

Magnaflows

Hey everyone I'm new to the org and just want to say that the info here has been a big help to me. My question is how much am I looking at for a shop to custom bend a system to use with two Magnaflow mufflers?
Old 10-31-2004, 06:02 PM
Maxima of the Month Winner

Custom Exhaust System

It cost me about $850.00 . Then I added another MagnaFlow as a resonator for another $150. So I have almost a grand into my system. Here's a few pix:

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/636944/2
Old 10-31-2004, 06:27 PM

Thanks a lot 04RedOpMax for the help....now if only I had the money to do it!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:35 PM

Yeah, I know it sounds like a lotta bucks. You could do it in stages, buy the mufflers first (they are about $150 each) and then save up for the piping and the labor for the muffler shop.
Old 10-31-2004, 08:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Red,

How did you compensate for the timing when you changed the underdrive pulley? Why Injen for a CAI? .....and don't Maximas already come with a FSB? How about the cross drilled rotors...I know that they look cool. however if you have either traction control or especially VSC it could affect the performance since there is less contact area under the pads...plus you run the risk of warping the rotors if you have to brake hard during the winter. Otherwise I like what you did with your Max. Did you remove the Trenz logo on the chrome grille and I did not get a good look at what you did with the holes that were left over after you removed the rear NIssan Logo....something about buttons on you web page. Anyway...nice work and happy motoring.
Old 10-31-2004, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by xorbitman
Hey Red,

How did you compensate for the timing when you changed the underdrive pulley? Why Injen for a CAI? .....and don't Maximas already come with a FSB? How about the cross drilled rotors...I know that they look cool. however if you have either traction control or especially VSC it could affect the performance since there is less contact area under the pads...plus you run the risk of warping the rotors if you have to brake hard during the winter. Otherwise I like what you did with your Max. Did you remove the Trenz logo on the chrome grille and I did not get a good look at what you did with the holes that were left over after you removed the rear NIssan Logo....something about buttons on you web page. Anyway...nice work and happy motoring.
OK, xorbitman, one at a time!

The UDP does not effect timing, it just runs the accessory belts.

I chose the Injen because its a true cold air intake, and therefore has the best chance of making the most power because the air cleaner is outside the engine compartment. The other intakes can't call themselves "cold air intakes" if they are sucking up hot air from inside the engine compartment. And no, it will not suck up all the water on the road and ruin your motor.

When you say FSB, I'm assuming you mean "front strut bar" , which is more commonly called "front strut tower bar",or FSTB. The 04' Max does not come with a FSTB. If you are saying FSB meaning "front sway bar", then yes, the car comes with a front (anti) sway bar.

Yes, the cross-drilled rotors look cool and I will be the first to admit that cross-drilling does nothing to improve brake performance. It also does nothing to hinder performance and will not lead to warped rotors. It does not effect ABS and I don't have traction control. I only drilled them because I knew I could do it myself and I thought they would look better.

The Trenz grill comes with or without a place for the logo. It also comes in a polished or brushed finish and it's not chrome (it's polished aluminum).

For the holes in the rear spoiler, I painted two plastic buttons (sometimes called "screw caps") the color of the car, and glued them in with silicone.

Hope this answers your questions.Thanx for the compliments.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:44 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Hey Red, did you install the UDP yourself? I have one coming and seems like it may be a pain in the butt to install. Did you notice and difference?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by mattlerose
Hey Red, did you install the UDP yourself? I have one coming and seems like it may be a pain in the butt to install. Did you notice and difference?
Yeah, installed it myself. And it is kinda a pain, especially if you have an automatic trans. The motor wants to turn when you are taking off the big bolt that holds the pulley on. I used a huge air ratchet that I normally just use to take off lug nuts (on my other cars, not the 04' Max), and it worked like a charm.

I noticed a difference after adding the pulley. The motor seems to rev quicker and I think it added a couple ponies. Plus it's a beautifully machined product, well engineered. I have had it on for 8 or 9 months and no worries!
Old 11-01-2004, 09:18 AM

The UDP is awsome, I got the SWA pulley because its cheaper and lighter than the UR pulley. Only thing I didnt install myself and it cost me 35 bucks, well worth it.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:50 AM

I got the UR underdrive pulley in today. Did either you or Red have to get new belts put on? My instructions say I may need two smaller belts.
Old 11-01-2004, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax
Yeah, installed it myself. And it is kinda a pain, especially if you have an automatic trans. The motor wants to turn when you are taking off the big bolt that holds the pulley on. I used a huge air ratchet that I normally just use to take off lug nuts (on my other cars, not the 04' Max), and it worked like a charm.

I noticed a difference after adding the pulley. The motor seems to rev quicker and I think it added a couple ponies. Plus it's a beautifully machined product, well engineered. I have had it on for 8 or 9 months and no worries!
Did you have to get any new belts for it? My instructions from Unorthodox racing say
Old 11-01-2004, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by 04RedOpMax

Did you have to get any new belts for it? My instructions from Unorthodox racing say I may need to get two new smaller belts and that it will take 7-10 days to notice the horespower change due to the computer taking that long to reconfigure for the lighter pulley.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:07 PM

You WILL need to get two smaller belts. Since the pulley is smaller, you will not be able to tension the old belts, there is not enuff adjustment.

As far as it taking 7 - 10 days for the computer to make an adjustment for the pulley, I'll have to take UR's word for it. It's seems to me it would be instant, but I do not claim to be an expert on car computers.

It may be a way of covering their butt if somebody doesn't notice a big difference right away. Some poeple might have greater expectations from a pulley mod.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Glude
The UDP is awsome, I got the SWA pulley because its cheaper and lighter than the UR pulley. Only thing I didnt install myself and it cost me 35 bucks, well worth it.
Glude, the UDP that SWA sells is the Unorthodox Racing pulley, so yours isn't any lighter than the one everybody else has.
Old 11-01-2004, 02:40 PM

04RedOpMax - do you by any chance have a sound clip of your car?

thx
Old 11-01-2004, 04:17 PM

Magnaflows

04RedOPMax; I got my Magnaflows installed today. I can't figure out how to post the pics here. I have the pictures saved to my hard drive. When I click on insert image a text box opens up and asks for the link.
Old 11-01-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by 3.5 Lover
04RedOPMax; I got my Magnaflows installed today. I can't figure out how to post the pics here. I have the pictures saved to my hard drive. When I click on insert image a text box opens up and asks for the link.
Lover, you have to host your pix on a separate website like CarDomain. Then you can right click on the picture and paste a link to the pic in your post. You will also have to bracket the link like this:

[img] (link) [/img]

If there is a better or easier way, I'm sure somebody will speak up. I'm a rookie when it comes to this computer stuff. You can test your posts to see if you got it right in the "Test Posts Here" at the bottom of the first forum page.
Old 11-01-2004, 07:33 PM

hey opmax can you post a sound bite of your exhaust......?
Old 11-01-2004, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by max'n
hey opmax can you post a sound bite of your exhaust......?
I don't really know how to do that. Could you give me some hints?
Old 11-03-2004, 03:02 PM

Magnaflows

Here goes nothing 04Red
Old 11-03-2004, 03:08 PM

Side View

Old 11-03-2004, 05:30 PM

Yo, Lover, your ride is lookin good! How is the sound? Have you got any pix showing underneath the car?

How about posting a link to your CarDomain site?
Old 11-03-2004, 05:47 PM

Thanks 04Red; I havent taken any of the bottom yet. I took Monday off of work just to get the exhaust put on. The sound is really nice. It has a deep tone but it's not loud at all. No droning and at cruising speed it is as quiet as stock until I punch it you can hear the deep tone. I have also noticed that my intake makes more noise now that the exhaust is hooked up.

Here is my Car Doman Link:
http://members.cardomain.com/djrhouse
Old 11-03-2004, 07:03 PM

did you add a resonator?
Old 11-03-2004, 11:15 PM

3.5 Lover whats the part # for your magnaflows? I wanna order!
Old 11-04-2004, 01:54 AM

The magnaflows look much better than my greddy fart can. I'm going to consider replacing mine sometime next year if I catch too much flack.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by AngryPotato
The magnaflows look much better than my greddy fart can. I'm going to consider replacing mine sometime next year if I catch too much flack.
OK, MadTater, Here's some more flack: Your Greddy fart cans look totally rice.

Go with the Flows!!
Old 11-04-2004, 07:11 AM

Here is what I think:

Stillen: "I want some better looking mufflers". [If a factory option existed it would be this.]

Magnaflows: "I don't want droning, and I want a more aggressive sound. Plus I don't want to spend much and i want a somewhat stock look."

Greddy: "I want a much more aggressive sound and look, little droning doesn't bother me. Neither does a big tip. I want it to sound like a 350z...No...lil louder. Oh yeah and I don't want to weld or work with flanges. I also like to look at myself when I'm under that car admiring the shiny polished full exhuast."
Old 11-04-2004, 09:19 AM

I love my greddy regardless of what people think. Our maximas are big cars and the greddy looks awsome on it. The magnaflows above look really nice but to close to stock looking for me.
Old 11-04-2004, 03:14 PM

Mudafoka; My Magnaflow part number is 14815. You can get them shipped to your door for a extremely cheap price with no shipping cost for $278 with no Droning (drawback - they must be welded on and it will cost you for the custom job). There is no way I'd pay between $550 and $600 for the Stillen as much I like the company if I can get what I got for half the price and they (Magnaflows) sound twice as good to me and everyone that has heard my car. The box says those mufflers added 14HP on the Dyno and 16ftlbs of torque to a VW Passat. I find that hard to believe with just a rear section. 5 more HP sounds realistic but I am not professional in this department. I can tell a difference in accelleration.

Max'n; I kept my stock resonator and I tell you it sounds really good with those mufflers, especially when I step on the gas with a little pressure. 04RedOp can attest to that.

Glude: I like the Greddy's but I couldn't get a deal with the shipping to the DC area from California. That would have set me back about $800.00. I think they would look better with the Stillen body kit so it can hide the space around the bumper cutout.

Bottom line; Get what you like and can afford and don't change what you have because someone else doesn't like it. Be your own (Man) person and most people will respect you for voicing your opinion but not forcing your views on others.
Old 11-04-2004, 06:15 PM

I like the Greddy too, which is why I got it and won't sell/trade it. <props> Thanks Ray!! </props>
Old 11-04-2004, 07:06 PM

just ordered the magnaflows! cant wait. how much did it cost for the custom job?
Old 11-05-2004, 05:00 AM

What do you guys think about these??

Old 11-05-2004, 07:29 PM

04SEelite : I was thinking about those but I went with 3.5 Lover's cuz I liked how his magnaflows looked on the max. I got the 3.5" tips though.
Old 11-06-2004, 12:19 AM

3.5 Lover, I like the new exhaust look on your max, it looks tight ... do u think u can make a sound clip of your exhaust ???
Old 11-06-2004, 05:32 AM

I dont have anything that records sound. I have to check out my digital camera and see if it does. 04SEElite, those Magnaflows probably wont fit because the tips are too big for the bumper valance cut out in the rear. The cost for installation will vary because as you know everyone charges different prices.

Mudafoka I am sure you can find a lot of places in NY that will do the install. I am from Jamaica Queens originally and they have places all over where you can negotiate. I would say around $150 because they have to do welding and they will charge you to take off the factory mufflers which are easy because they are bolt ons. They have to make money somewhere.

I can tell you that it sounds almost exactly like a G35 Coupe now. At least from the inside of the car it does. Today I am going to let a buddy of mine who has a 350Z drive my car and I will drive his Z so I can see how it sounds.

Looks like I am going to invest in a digital camcorder so I can do some recording. I will ask someone here how to post the sound clips and video.
Old 11-06-2004, 05:35 AM

Hey Lover can you provide a link where you got your exhaust from with the free shipping?
Old 11-06-2004, 05:41 AM

Magnaflows

Sure;
www.justmagnaflow.com

The customer service is excellent and they will send you a UPS tracking number if you request it. They have a few warehouses on each coast so you can get it in about 3 business days or less.

I made my order over the phone. I am sure if they are open on Saturday but you can check the website.

Good Luck!
Old 11-11-2004, 10:03 PM
*moderator*

Bryan from Berk installed my Maganflows today. (he just installed the muffler's for now, he's working on completing the kit) Sounds awesome like as 3,5 lover said above, "It has a deep tone but it's not loud at all. No droning and at cruising speed it is as quiet as stock until I punch it you can hear the deep tone. I have also noticed that my intake makes more noise now that the exhaust is hooked up. " ditto for me.
I only drove home from the shop I'll get a better feel tomorrow. I'll post some pics as well....
Old 11-12-2004, 01:45 AM

The guy at Stillen (won't mention his name) was pissed when I told him the great price for the Magnaflows and that they sound better and have a longer warrantee than Stillen has. Competition is great and brings prices down. We benefit from that as everyone knows.

Quick Reply: Magnaflows