6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Unfortunately, I could not find a Maxima I wanted

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2004, 06:31 PM

Unfortunately, I could not find a Maxima I wanted

So I had to order one.

This is the first car that I have ordered or even bought for that matter. Can anyone explain to me the order process, and how long it usually takes to get the car once it's ordered. Will the dealer give you an order number or invoice number? How would I know that the dealer even ordered the car for me (proof wise)? Can I call Nissan and verify my order?

The dealer quoted me 5 weeks, another dealer 6-8 weeks. How accurate is those quotes? He also said that they have to enter orders at a specific day in the month. They just can't order a car in the middle of the month. Is this true?

Any help or understanding of this process would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, I ordered a Smoke with Black leather interior SL with DPP, VDC (this includes TC correct?), Sunroof, Splash Guards, Mats, and best of all Navi.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:03 PM
SuPeRmOd

Sounds like a great order! they could be throwing bs. Their priority is to sell off the lot. A very bad experience on here where they never ordered someone's car and tried to sell them something else. I would think there is some paperwork involved. Sure they would want to ensure you go through with the transaction as well. I can ask a friend, but his 03 had to come from Japan and he waited forever. Plus with HID thefts on the dock to postpone as well.
Hope it goes well.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:16 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

yes, they were partly right. Order has to be placed before the 5th of a month and then it will take 8 to 10 weeks. 5 weeks is no way possible unless the dealer finds in somewhere else.

They will ask you to sign a invoice. make sure that they are ordering what you wanted.
Old 09-30-2004, 08:18 PM

When they ask you to sign the invoice, DOUBLE CHECK EVERY SINGLE CHARACTER ON THE PAGE. In my limited experience, most special order cars arriving with something incorrect had the info incorrect on the ordering invoice.

Nissan currently has the assembly line going full-bore trying to meet dealer requirements for the newly released '05s, so don't even think about seeing your new Maxima before December.

I admire those who have the patience to order, knowing they face months of waiting, with no guarantee the car will be right when it arrives. Instead, I checked my dealer's lot every few days from March 8th of 2003 until June of 2004 (OK, I realize that was a 15 month wait. Sigh . .), when a car equipped exactly as I wanted suddenly appeared.

I had been sitting on my written offer for 15 months (gradually lowering the amount as the general selling price fell). All I had to do was plug in the VIN. I had my offer in the hands of their fleet/internet manager within an hour of the car's arrival. The car was sitting in my garage the next day.

Are you positive the car you want (or something acceptably close) is not sitting on another dealer's lot somewhere within a hundred miles? Do you know how to use the nissanusa site to search any dealer's inventory?

General advice to all: be very careful to check any vehicle you are considering buying, new or used, for possible flood damage. I don't think I need explain why . . .
Old 09-30-2004, 09:38 PM

Are you positive the car you want (or something acceptably close) is not sitting on another dealer's lot somewhere within a hundred miles? Do you know how to use the nissanusa site to search any dealer's inventory?
yep, checked nissanusa.com, no cars within 100 miles. checked autotrader.com, nothing matching the exact specs i'm looking for. i did a very wide search, and it did not find any matches. they have like 7 total cars listed with the options that I want in the entire US. was looking for an 04 from carsdirect.com, they only could find 11 cars in my region and none had all of the options i was looking for.

does anybody know if it is a pain in the as$ to extend a lease?
Old 10-01-2004, 05:57 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

My experience with Nissan Leasing is that they will only extend the lease for a maximum of 6 months - so, if you want to order the car you should be covered with your current lease until the new car comes in.

I ordered my SEelite because the dealer had no plans to order elites, and couldn't guarantee with any conviction when he would get one exactly like I wanted because the early Elites were >$35K and he had no intention of buying one to just put on the lot.

I ordered it - waited 3 months, and when it came in it was perfect, not withstanding the issues I have had with it since buying (same as all of the others here) - but still I love the car!

Ordering is not a problem, just make sure to negotiate the price up front, read the order with the sales person, make sure that everything you want is included in the deal, and go for it - you'll get the car you want...
Old 10-01-2004, 12:30 PM

tell me where u are from..,. I got a silver SL, black interior and everything u wanted. car was made 05/04 and only has 3,200 miles on it. I will sell for $25,000. Never a shimmy, just heat shield rattles and car jack rabbits.
Old 10-01-2004, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by SilverSL
tell me where u are from..,. I got a silver SL, black interior and everything u wanted. car was made 05/04 and only has 3,200 miles on it. I will sell for $25,000. Never a shimmy, just heat shield rattles and car jack rabbits.
i'm actually looking for a Smoke colored car. I see Silver, Black and Blue Maximas on the road too often. Rarely do I see a Smoke. Thanks for the offer though.