6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

likeliness of Performance mods 6th gens?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 10:29 AM

likeliness of Performance mods 6th gens?

Just wondering what the probability of companies making more performance mods for the 6th gen community is.... Have any of you hear any recent news?
Old 09-27-2004, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k
Just wondering what the probability of companies making more performance mods for the 6th gen community is.... Have any of you hear any recent news?
Seems kinda slow so far as it is a new body style. Seems like now, the car is a nice cruiser and not much effort is being made as the market for the Maxima has changed a bit. I still remember when the Mustang changed from the 5.0 to the 4.6 though. Took a while for the mods to come around. Right now I imagine quite a few people are working on upgrades. All boils down to supply and demand. A new Maxima is not that cheap. Maxima looses alot of sales to the Altima for people who want to mod their cars. Yes, there are some people out there who want the mods, but also, it is a new car and some do not want to mess with it still being under warranty. Just posting my thoughts here. Did I mod the hell out of my Z28 LS1 when it was new, YEP, but most were removable mods that if I needed warranty work, would not think of showing up to the dealer with a CAI or a K&N that could be a cause for gumming up the MAF with what a dealer could say I over oiled it and caused a Service Engine Soon light. Again, not a big demand for performance parts on the Max it seems so far, but as the years tick on......they will come, trust me, modified 350Z superchargers and all. Will the first mods be cheap though.....HELL NO!!! They have to pay off development costs. What should we expect first.....headers, exhaust, than some superchargers, maybe high dollar turbo. Most of our mods will be probably 350Z modified mods. Just my 2 cents....be prepared to have deep pockets though.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The only mods that people are really willing to do are bolt on mods. On the Maxima the common bolt on mods are the simple ones - intake, exhaust (Berk Technology of course!), pulley, headers (if we come out with one).

The biggest gain you'll see is a header system for the Maxima. They give huge gains, over 20 WHP but unless you are a pretty good home mechanic you'll end up paying $300-500 for install on these headers. It is a 6 hour job. Many if not most of you won't be able to tackle this job on your own.

I'll throw up a poll and see who would be willing to actually plunk down the $600+ for a header upgrade and then the $300-$500 for labor (if you can't do it yourself) for 20WHP.

Regards,
Bryan
Old 09-27-2004, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by cobymoby
The only mods that people are really willing to do are bolt on mods. On the Maxima the common bolt on mods are the simple ones - intake, exhaust (Berk Technology of course!), pulley, headers (if we come out with one).

The biggest gain you'll see is a header system for the Maxima. They give huge gains, over 20 WHP but unless you are a pretty good home mechanic you'll end up paying $300-500 for install on these headers. It is a 6 hour job. Many if not most of you won't be able to tackle this job on your own.

I'll throw up a poll and see who would be willing to actually plunk down the $600+ for a header upgrade and then the $300-$500 for labor (if you can't do it yourself) for 20WHP.

Regards,
Bryan
Now, if you have some dyno sheets to show 20 RWHP......$600 bucks is a great price. How much actually has to be removed under the beauty cover to do the header install. The LS1 seemed to be a tighter engine with no room to work on. Spark plug change was a job in itself. If you can show me a 20 HP gain to the rear wheels...for $600 bucks......just headers and stock heads....I am all over it. 20 HP to the rear wheels with a stock exhaust seems a bit much for the headers. Now, with headers, a new intake, and new catback......alot more than $600 bucks, I might imagine 20 HP to the rear....but than again, alot more than just headers. Appreciate you are making some good stuff for the Max though. 20 HP from headers needs to be proven to me with a Dyno sheet though....hey a pulley, maybe a few HP, a intake, unless it is a true CAI...maybe a few HP....new exhaust....a few more...still high bucks here and intake mods and exhaust flow hand in hand. Being from a V8 RWD background....this is not new to me.

Had my time changing MAF's, intakes, running cold air, adding high stall converters, headers, cat backs, than changing to exhaust cut outs for drag. 20 HP gain on a car is not cheap.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I'm needing a caw

Is that the whisper lid? How do you change the plugs on that *****?
Old 09-27-2004, 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Is that the whisper lid? How do you change the plugs on that *****?
Clear MTI lid....getting to the plug on the passenger side and saving your knuckles......not going to happen. Some people have gotten the plug change down to 20 min or so. Best mod on that car....Yank 3000 high stall torque converter. Talk about a mod for an auto trans. Worst thing I did.....get rid of this car. I learned alot about mods, loosing HP over torque with the cutout, trying different intakes, different MAF's, smoothing the bellows up a bit.....never got the seat of the pants feeling from any mod at all, besides the new high stall converter. Funny thing, I was just reading a post from a 4th gen if I remember, stock Maxima owner who said he raped one of these LS1 cars. Being a former LS1 guy, I kinda laughed. I am just the devils advocate, for me to drop bucks on mods.....especially the first ones, I want dyno sheets, before and after, not one, a few. I want track slips, before and after. Call me negative or smart. Just spending money and bolting on a part....some look pretty on the engine, look at my Z28 pic, some have a function. After the Z28, went through the same thing with my BMW 328IC convert....lots of expensive things out there that were high dollars.....and did little over stock. Again, not trying to discourage the developers....but hell, even the Tornado and Superchip say they give mega HP......LOL.....you guys know what I mean.

OH, by the way, had to get rid of the toys for the family, got the Maxima as my 9 year old was way too big for the Z28 and the BMW convert. Any regrets, yes, the power of the Z28....really miss that, the BMW with the convert....really miss that, the 328 was not as fast as the Maxima or the Z28, never bought the Max to be a muscle car, but the Maxima is a great room, for its awsome size, power for how heavy it is.....great car, no regrets. The BMW....was a different story trading it in for the Maxima. Living off the beach in Biloxi.....you can imagine how hard it was to trade it in. And also, BMW had it's share of reliability issues. I come from owning several cars, Mustang 5.0, Lincoln Mark VIII, BMW, Mercedes, being a military guy, we go through cars alot.....this Max is my second one....last NEW car I will probably ever buy.

The finance guy at the Nissan dealer is now driving my 328.....and he is hooked up. Too bad when I get servicing done, they do not do the same for me....after buying the car....I do not exist any more....."Excuse me sir, when did we sell you your car?" You want a loaner car for warrany work....we do not do that here.....LOL.
Old 09-27-2004, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Oxidizer2k

stillen has these if you're interested:
cams: http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=41814&page=1

and pulleys: http://www.stillen.com/Sportscars_de...d=31486&page=1

I believe an upgraded ECU is in the works for your car along with a Magnacharger for the Maxima.
Old 09-27-2004, 07:03 PM

Coby, If you come out with those headers, you will definatly have good sales since you have a good following on this org. Also, a different Intake manifold would be great too .

5Ltr... Those cams are really expensive for the HP you get. Headers, intake, and exhuast would be great...
Old 09-27-2004, 07:23 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

headers would be nice....
Old 09-28-2004, 01:35 AM

Originally Posted by 2k4MaximaSE
....I have a Stillen ordering brochure and guys I'd hate to break it to you but Stillen has headers for the '04 Maxima. This is the part# for those who are willing to call Stillen to try to get more info.

Part#: 503400
I hate to break it to you too, buddy... but just ask ANYONE with a 5th gen. Maxima about the Stillen headers. Ask how much they cost and what the power gains turned out to be and what type of reputation Stillen obtained with the help of these headers. I truly hope Stillen is going to do a better job this time around.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:25 AM

Yeah, thats so true... In this case, I guess stickers do add more HP than stillen headers...

Originally Posted by Maximadmoiselle
I hate to break it to you too, buddy... but just ask ANYONE with a 5th gen. Maxima about the Stillen headers. Ask how much they cost and what the power gains turned out to be and what type of reputation Stillen obtained with the help of these headers. I truly hope Stillen is going to do a better job this time around.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:33 AM

...At least stickers don't take away hp...

I'm not claiming that the Stillen headers will be worthless. Stillen makes headers for many, many other cars other than Maximas, including the 350Z, G35, Alti, Hondas, etc. I can't say anything about about those products as they may work perfectly fine and add the promised hp. I'd just be very wary and not jump on the 6th gen ones when they come out before their effects are dyno-proven by an independent party.
Old 09-29-2004, 10:45 PM

im happy with my low 14s second 04 maxima se auto bone stock!!