6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

These Goodyears keep picking up nails!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 09:05 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

These Goodyears keep picking up nails!

IS it me or are these tires prone to picking up nails? I have already plugged one, and noticed today that my front drivers side has another nail, because the tire looked low, checked, psi was at 26! sure enough nail, on the corner of the inside :-(. Im not sure this one is gonna be pluggable :-(

Has anybody had luck with these tires? I only have 12,000 miles on these tires too! ANy suggestions? I was thinking of putting good michelins on this car once the tread ran out, but I may have to do sooner.

What tires should I get?

Are nails on the corner pluggable?

thanks
Old 07-26-2004, 09:24 AM

Had mine plugged also. I went to the Goodyear dealership to plug the tire then bought insurance on all 4 tires for $25 each. Then had another nail on the side wall. Could not be repaired. Had to replace my tire. But the insurance I bought cover it minus the thread use about $35 for a $260 tire. I'm going with Yokohama next. Goodyear and Michelin are both bad tires.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:33 AM

Had mine plugged also. I went to the Goodyear dealership to plug the tire then bought insurance on all 4 tires for $25 each. Then had another nail on the side wall. Could not be repaired. Had to replace my tire. But the insurance I bought cover it minus the thread use about $35 for a $260 tire. I'm going with Yokohama next. Goodyear and Michelin are both bad tires.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:43 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've always had good luck with Toyo Proxes. It used to be standard issue on the Max's. Not sure why they switched.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:05 AM
VIP Maxima

man with in 1 year i swear ive had at least 7 plugged tires. good year eagle hp here and they are all brand new (less than 10k). 70 bux worth of flats, that sux man

Old 07-26-2004, 12:22 PM

With 15,000 plus miles and almost a year of owning my 04' Maxima SE, only had the tires plugged once. Last week I noticed a nail stuck on my front wheel, but when I took the nail out, the length of the nail was only 1/4 inch.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:26 PM

while goodyear makes a nice tire, the rubber is generally softer than other competitors (ie. michelin, continental, cooper). that's why you'll also notice that they will wear out faster than your average tire and will puncture a little easier. i had goodyear's on my f-150 and several punctures a year. got to be extremely annoying.

for future reference, if you want a tire that will last, go for michelin.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:30 PM

I have used Goodyears tires for years, with excellent results. Picking up a nail is a random thing, and cannot be blamed on the tire brand. What,
do you think the nail sees the Goodyear name on the tire and lunges at it? Stay away from Yokohama's. They ride like they are constructed
out of stone. Hard as rocks. Horrible tires.
Old 07-26-2004, 12:56 PM

Well, on my last max, I had Toyo's never picked up a nail. I wasnt sure if GoodYears stink or If the particular tire we have stinks.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by high888
I have used Goodyears tires for years, with excellent results. Picking up a nail is a random thing, and cannot be blamed on the tire brand. What,
do you think the nail sees the Goodyear name on the tire and lunges at it? Stay away from Yokohama's. They ride like they are constructed
out of stone. Hard as rocks. Horrible tires.
Are you sure about the tires being hard as rocks. I don't need my Maxima to ride harder then it already does. Can anyone confirm this.
Old 07-26-2004, 01:27 PM

Forgive me, but being a diehard "Seinfeld" fan, every time I see the title of this post I can't help but think of the enduring line...

"These pretzels are making me thirsty!"
Old 07-26-2004, 01:40 PM

Here is a picture of about where my nail is:

does anybody know if this is pluggable.
I'm gonna stop by the service center in the morning, and see what they say, I guess I dont want them to take it out uless they are sure it will last, cause i dotn wnat to be without a tire. Im not sure if they stock them at the service center. My dealer is not friendly(wont get me a 24 dollar info screen) so im sure they wont be helpful tomorrow, but If its not fixable I will need a new tire, if so, are they full price through nissan?

Tire rack has for $191, but then I got to fond a place to balance and mount without scratching.

Im sure this whole deal will cost me $300, unreal.

cheap tires, I never had 2 nails in 4 months before.

untill now I had 2 in 8 years of driving. these tires are crap!
Old 07-26-2004, 02:45 PM

I agree with the poster who asked if the nail sees it's a Goodyear and sticks itself in the tire. Face it - a nail is going to puncture almost any tire, regardless of the brand, if it is in the path of that tire. It ain't a matter of softer tread compund ... no street tire's compound is harder than steel, which is what nails are usually made of, so the nail will win.

It isn't the tire's fault, Chris. Just bad luck.

Mike
Old 07-26-2004, 03:05 PM

Dang, do you think it can be fixed on the corner?
Old 07-26-2004, 03:59 PM

I went to Discount Tire this past Saturday to have a nail removed, which was a little more on center than yours. For $15.00, they
plugged and then patched it (BOTH) and then balanced it. Yours
should be no problem. They only get **** when it is more on the
sidewall. Yours should be just fine.
Old 07-26-2004, 07:34 PM

Discount Tires/American Tires usually patch/fix a flat for free. That's what happened to my old Max. They insisted on helping out unlucky drivers and even turned down a tip. OK, so they got a customer afterward. I posted that event on company's forum. My co-workers just go there for flat repairs. I bet they all buying tires from there afterward. Too bad they price-match almost everybody except TireRack.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:17 AM

Chris, your puncture seems to be on that fine line between the sidewall and the main tread of the tire. Patching/plugging on or near the sidewall is not a good idea and dangerous. Most reputable tire places wouldn't do it for you for safety reasons. I hate to say it, but if that nail is on that curve to the sidewall, I'd go ahead and replace that tire. Expensive, but cheaper than having a blowout at 80mph and totalling your ride.
Old 07-27-2004, 12:57 PM

I went to a local tire ship this morning, they patched no problem, it was just before the bend of the tire wall. HE said they couldnt plug but insisted a patch would do just fine. However Im not sure if this will hold, lets hope I dont get a blowout, but anyways, he didnt seem to smart cause I insisted that I use my torque wrench (keep in my car) because he wanted to use his air gun at 110 ft lbs of torque and i said hell no. He laughed when I said I wanted to use 80 as specified. Retard mechanics, they are so dumb.

As far as the blowout, do you think I could possibly have a blowout with a patch, it seems that the air would come out gradually, not explode.

Im a little scared now, what should I do? I drove to work, 85 mph, no problems, no shimmy (by the way it wasnt rebalanced with the hunter hsp, just a regular crap machine) Air is still at 34 psi. who knows.
Old 07-28-2004, 08:47 AM

i wouldn't worry about it. patches are better than plugs. all i was saying is that if it is on the sidewall, it's not worth repairing. your pic kind of looked like it was. repairing the sidewall significantly decreases the integrity of the tire. since yours was still on the main tread, you shouldn't have anything to worry about...
Old 07-28-2004, 03:27 PM

been through 3 Continental tire flats. All 3 with nails. 1 sidewall and 2 plugs. $180 for the tire with sidewall damage.
Old 07-28-2004, 03:41 PM

hmmm, yea i checked the psi today and it was lower, like 30 or so, it seems to be a bit higher when i drive for 5 mins to the gas station. who knows. im not sure if its leaking though the patch. i really wanna get some use out of the tire rather than wasting the cash on a new one.

two questions.

1.if it is leaking a bit, which i dotn really know, should i throw in a can of fix a flat, to maybe seal up the leak around the patch?

2.i wonder if i could throw a tube in?

maybe im just being cheap and should buy a new tire if its leaking. $300 bucks is a lot of $$$
Old 07-29-2004, 07:59 AM

no tube, throw in the fixaflat... that stuff works good... helped me to procrastinate getting a new tire for 6 months. (i too am cheap)
Old 07-29-2004, 11:37 AM

I call bull**** on whoever posted the "rocks" comment about the Yokohama's. I actually OWN a set for my Maxima and they ROCK, not ride like them. They are extremely sticky and performance with them is night and day compared to the Goodyears. The ride may be a slight bit harsher than the Goodyears, but the performance is incredible, course I have the Stillen Sway Bar too so that helps. The guys at Stillen also HIGHLY recommend the Yokohama's.

LMFAO at the piece of crap Goodyear RSA's - take a look at the ratings boyz - the Yokohama's SMOKE them, not even the same class of tire. The Yokohama's are W rated for speed of 160+ and are listed as a Ultra-High Performance rated tire. Dump the Goodyears and go with Yoko's or Falken's.

Ratings for Goodyear RS-A 2.8 overall score
http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews.asp

Ratings for Yokohama ES 100 3.9 overall score
http://www.1010tires.com/tirereviews.asp
Old 07-29-2004, 12:04 PM

yea, fixaflat is a possibility if the tire seems low in a few days.

i will def get a diff brand tire when the tread is up on these, im not gonna pay $1000 for new gooyears tires when i can get some nice michelins or yokos or toyos etc...
Old 07-30-2004, 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
yea, fixaflat is a possibility if the tire seems low in a few days.

i will def get a diff brand tire when the tread is up on these, im not gonna pay $1000 for new gooyears tires when i can get some nice michelins or yokos or toyos etc...
Chris, flatfix is nasty, and when the tire is replaced or even remounted, that goop has to be scraped and cleaned off the inside of the rim so it won't negatively affect the balance of the wheel. If you haven't already done so, I'd recommend you not use it.

If the patch isn't doing the job - and give it awhile to make sure it really is leaking and that's not just a pressure variance due to heat - have it pulled and redone. Goodyear stores will generally use the plug/patch thingie that's inserted from the inside of the tire, and I've had good luck with them.

For that matter, though, I've also had very good luck with the waxy, leathery plugs (which I install myself). I saw an ad for them awhile back where a tire had 100 plugs in it to illustrate their effectiveness, and some of them were all the way up on the sidewall. The tire had supposedly been driven something like 10,000 miles with all these plugs without air loss. So I'm a big fan of plugs. Some tire stores are not, though, and will tell you they suck. Caveat emptor.

Mike
Old 07-30-2004, 04:55 PM

I havent used the fixaflat. Looking at the tire(front tire), it appears slightly lower than the back, obviously because the front is heavier etc...

i havent checked the psi latley, but i do notice that i always get various readigns from 3 different sources.

i prob wont worry about it until i really notice it being low.

thanks for the heads up, i dont want gooo everywhere.