6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Rear Window Tinting

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2004, 08:02 AM

Rear Window Tinting

I have a question to ask everyone with tint on their 04 Max. The Onyx SE I bought was already tinted. I noticed that MY tint doesn't cover the entire rear window. Instead, it's a cookie cutter cutout for the middle of the rear window. I probably wouldn't have even cared except that the cutout either isn't big enough or was placed incorrectly because there's a space between the aftermarket tint and the upper OEM tint and it, quite frankly, looks cheap. What does your tint look like?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I had my back window done to match all my others 15% all the way around. Looks great. only thing that sucks is when you first get the back window tinted. up on the top where the dots are. sometimes may not stick 100%
Old 07-26-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by 6thGenMax
I had my back window done to match all my others 15% all the way around. Looks great. only thing that sucks is when you first get the back window tinted. up on the top where the dots are. sometimes may not stick 100%
So are u saying you see bubbles near the factory dots are because it doesn't stick 100%?
Old 07-26-2004, 08:42 AM

Mine is tinted across the rear window in one solid piece. No cut out around the brake light either. 28%. I had it done at a Forumla One shop that I have been using for 11 years.

If I were you I would find a good tint shop and have them remove the old tinting and redo it to match. If you're talking about just the rear window then it shouldn't cost too much.
Old 07-26-2004, 08:48 AM

Tint not adhering to the matrix dots is a common problem in the tinting industry. They have tricks to get around it though. Make sure you ask the tinter about this so you have no surprises. Keep in mind though that this is a problem area and it might not come out perfect.
Old 07-26-2004, 09:59 AM

How much does tinting a car (like the 04 Max) cost? Also, what percentage tint are you guys getting? I was thinking about tinting my car, but I'll have to check the state laws to find out what tint is legal.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by Monotaur
How much does tinting a car (like the 04 Max) cost? Also, what percentage tint are you guys getting? I was thinking about tinting my car, but I'll have to check the state laws to find out what tint is legal.

I know in Texas, you front windows are supposed to be 30-35% and they don't care what you rear windows are. My dealer threw the tint in so I don't know. I'd say most places around here charge about $200 for 35/20(35% front windows 20% everywhere else). At least that's what they charged for my Passat and that wasn't too long ago.
Old 07-26-2004, 10:42 AM
Going Ginsu

Originally Posted by Monotaur
The local tint laws %s:
http://www.latint.com/regulations.htm
http://www.tintdude.com/ntoo.html

I had mine at 35% all the way around for $250. I'm quickly changing my mind and will leave the rear at 35% and do the front/rear sides at 28%.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:11 AM

Thanks everyone.
Old 07-26-2004, 11:12 AM
andymax95

It's illegal to tint over the third brake light, so when I got mine done, it looked like cheese cause I have the frost interior. So I found some bubbles and made them redo the tint, but made them tint over the light, so one whole piece. Looks 10x better then with the the cutout

Old 07-26-2004, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by andymax95
It's illegal to tint over the third brake light, so when I got mine done, it looked like cheese cause I have the frost interior. So I found some bubbles and made them redo the tint, but made them tint over the light, so one whole piece. Looks 10x better then with the the cutout
I think that's what I am going to request they do. My Onyx Max looks way too nice to be a victim of cheesy window tinting. I thought the dots at the top were the reason for the cookie cutter cutput. Now that I know I can get around it, I'm much happier.
Old 07-26-2004, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by FriscoMax
I thought the dots at the top were the reason for the cookie cutter cutput.

They probably were. Whoever tinted it before probably just tinted up to the dots and then did a crappy job cutting a straight line across. That's why you need to question the tinter about how he handles the dots. Some cut (like yours) some just go ahead and tint over them (like mine), some sand them down and some use vinyl and some even use glue. Some brand tints adhere to the dots better than others. Mine has not been a problem.
Old 07-27-2004, 09:36 AM

I removed the Break light from the holder,(pulled it forward) so they would do the whole window. Had to give them the hint. Some places might think it doesn't come off. Also noticed when I pulled it out of its slot I don't get the rear parcel vibration. I think the vibration is the break light is hitting the window.

Joe
Old 07-28-2004, 07:57 AM

Thought I would give you guys a quick update. My dealership actually does there own tinting in house. They explained how the film doesn't stick too well to the dots and that since the film they use is metallic, my antenna performance would suffer because the antenna is located within the dotted area. Can any of you guys con firm or deny this? I'm sure this is going to annoy me so much that I'l end up having to take it a tint shop to have them redo the rear window.
Old 07-28-2004, 11:32 AM

Originally Posted by FriscoMax
Thought I would give you guys a quick update. My dealership actually does there own tinting in house. They explained how the film doesn't stick too well to the dots and that since the film they use is metallic, my antenna performance would suffer because the antenna is located within the dotted area. Can any of you guys con firm or deny this? I'm sure this is going to annoy me so much that I'l end up having to take it a tint shop to have them redo the rear window.

I just went out and looked at mine and it does appear that the antenna is located in the dotted area. Metallic films can interfere with the antenna and navigation systems. I know Formula 1 uses a metalized film that does not interfere with the antenna because that is what I have. I can't say about the other brands though. Just go to or call a local tint shop and ask them and get a quote, you don't have to make any commitments. Or better yet call the dealer and ask them who does the tinting for them. Then call the tinter directly. They do this everyday and will know more than the dealer about tinting cars. Then you can make your decision based from there. Chances are they are using some local tint shop down the street, at least that's what they do here. If you can get with the tinter then maybe you can work something out with him to use a different kind of film.
Old 08-03-2004, 08:22 PM

I have an appointment on Friday to get all the windows tinted at 15%. I guess my main concern is up to the dot matrix....he's usuing Lumar Tint and was wondering if anyone has pics of their back window cut to the matrix line and also any with it tinted over? Im just weary of how it will look. He did a volkswagon and I think he went right over it so...... thanks
Old 08-03-2004, 08:40 PM
glc
Newbie - Just Registered

I picked up a Onyx Max SE about ten days ago and had the dealer do the tint (35/20/20). The back window looks great and I don't notice any problem with the radio reception.
Old 08-04-2004, 01:02 AM
Banned

i got 15% all around...and i think it's too dark...at night and when it's raining, i can hardly see what's next to me. (rain+night is worst combo)