6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Question on purchasing and how far you can turn back

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 08:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Question on purchasing and how far you can turn back

This one might be a bit confusing so I'll break it down.

Friday: Head to dealer with fiance to purchase 2004 Maxima SE. We settle on a price and need to work on financing. She wants to get the 1.9% She does not get approved for the 1.9% or even 3.9%. (In short her credit blows) So she is gonna have her Mother sign for her. The finance manager calls her on the phone and gets her mother's info. She tells us that she will call us tomorrow (Saturday) around 10am, to come in with her mother to sign.

Saturday: No call at 10am, 11am, 12pm (Fiance calls dealer and gets voicemail) Leaves message. No return phone call. Calls again at 2pm. Voicemail again, so she talks to original salesperson (Kevin). He says mother was approved and it would be all set. So now after all day waiting and most importantly making her mother wait around, they head to the dealer to sign papers. When they get there, the finance manager is leaving and says that her computer is off and they will have to come back on Monday. ( Now If I was there it would have been ugly. ) She does however say that she was only approved at 4.8% (Which I don't think the person even tried).

So I'm ****ed, not because nothing was signed, but the fact that her mother had to hang around all day waiting for this dealer to call, and then get there and say sorry have to come back on Monday.

Sunday: Dealer is closed. So I can't vent to anyone there. Which also means when we come on Monday, the DMV will be closed at that time and will have to come back yet again on Tuesday.

But good news. Sunday Paper. Different Dealership "2004 Maxima SE" $23555

So needless to say I'm psyched. So my question after all this is: She put down a check for 1000. Can we cancel this whole deal and get her check back? She has not signed anything with the finance manager. Especially since she was not getting approved anyhow.

Thanks for any info. Sorry this was a bit drawn out but I really wanted to vent on the dealership today, but couldn't due to it being closed.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:15 AM

I'd cancel the check immediately if you can. You should see if your bank will do it 24/7 and have it nullified today. If the dealership isn't crooked they won't give you any problems with the deposit back because the % didn't meet what you wanted. I had a similar problem last summer when I was looking into an Element (don't laugh at me). The 23.5 might include a rebate for college grad + you having to pay some sort of freight fee. No matter what I'm sure you can still get the Max at a divine price if they're advertizing at that. Good luck with the purchase and let us know what happens.
Old 05-02-2004, 08:20 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

The $23555 looks legit, no asterik (*) or anything. I'm basically gonna put some heat on the dealership that we were dealing with though. See if they will match or beat price, and then throw on a spoiler for all our trouble. The canceled check will happen first thing on Monday. Then I'll call them see what they will do. If I don't like what I hear, I'll tell them &#$% off. I bet the General Manager will be ****ed when he finds out the papers could have been signed on Saturday. Gonna call him first.
Old 05-02-2004, 03:31 PM
Banned

Usually the dealer will make you sign something to "lock" you into dealing w/ them. AND they usually don't take your money until well after the dealing is done. If you haven't signed anything and you already gave them a check for $1K, YOU NEED TO GET YOUR MONEY BACK! First, try and go down to the dealer to get your check back...reason being, usually banks charge a fee for issuing a "stop payment" for an unpaid check (sometimes as much as $30).

And honestly speaking, dealers have resources to get you a car. I speak from experience. If your credit is already bad, then it's going to be next to impossible to get the "sweet" percentages. Banks aren't going to take the risk. But if her Mom is willing to co-sign for the car, then they should definitely be able to get you "decent" financing. Just remember that when going that route, the car will show up on her Mom's credit report as if it were her own debt. Hope this helps...good luck w/ your MAXIMA purchase...where ever you decide to buy!!!
Old 05-02-2004, 03:56 PM

To stop payment on a check here cost $10.00. Lets say you have a blowout with the dealer ; they could cash the check before you could stop payment. I`d make the call to them from the bank.
Old 05-02-2004, 06:23 PM

Look I hate to be the one that says you are in the wrong, but hey, I think you've blown this situation WAY out of proportion. I'm a sales manager at a multi franchise dealership, and speaking from experience, getting a approval from the bank TAKES TIME, especially if someone on the loan has sub par credit. Next 4.8 would NOT be a special rate from Nissan. More then likely its a normal bank like Eastern Bank, Chase, Bank north etc. And 4.8 is pretty good, especially if your friend could not get approved on her own in the first place. Sorry it's taking a bit of extra time, but it happens, calm down, she's not buying a toaster from Walmart, cars take time and when credit is the issue it takes LONGER. Also call your SALESPERSON, not the finance manager, sales manager, GM etc.. Calling the salesperson, like eventually what happened, will often get your answer, a salesperson will at most have 5 legit sales working at one time, your a HIGH priority to that person. A finance manager usually has 20-30 customers they are working with at any point. So getting a hold of a F&I manager is going to be tough no matter which dealer you go to. Hell our F&I guys rarely answer the phone, because if they did they'd be on the phone all day and not get 1 ounce of work done.

Lastly because you had to wait 1 extra day now you want to cancel the deal and go with the advertisement in the newspaper. Great, forget about the dealer that went through the trouble of getting a approval at a good rate, forget about the salesman who probably lined your friend up with the car she wants, and spent a good amount of time with. And forget the fact that if you voiced displeasure to the sales manager or GM of the inability to do paperwork when she arrived, the matter could have been resolved then. (We do as Managers do carry some weight when it comes to finance).

BTW What time did she arrive at the dealer? If it was 2:30ish a sales manager never would have let the F&I manager leave without signing papers. However if it was 5pm and just about closing time respect the fact that car sales personel (sp?) usually work 50-60 hours a week, and some of us that have them, do like to see our families once in a while.

Don't mean to go on a rant here, but your story is far from horror show. IT sounds like a mild inconvience.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:49 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Hate to burst your bubble, but we spent all of 15 minutes with the salesperson and maybe 10 minutes with the finance person. So don't tell me how I wasted their time. I did all the research and was ready as soon as I walked in the door. You talk about mild inconvience? Sitting around all day and waiting her mother wait around all day is a mild inconvience? Then going to the dealership and they say come back on Monday at 8AM even though 80% of the country works at that time isn't an inconvience? Thank god, I didn't go to the dealership you work at. All they cared about was getting the initial sale; and if the finance manager is too busy then hire an additional person. As far as me wanting to go to another dealership now after they went on sale, that is their own fault. If they had done what they were suppose to this would not have happened. So they can blame themselves.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Scott_401
Hate to burst your bubble, but we spent all of 15 minutes with the salesperson and maybe 10 minutes with the finance person. So don't tell me how I wasted their time. I did all the research and was ready as soon as I walked in the door. You talk about mild inconvience? Sitting around all day and waiting her mother wait around all day is a mild inconvience? Then going to the dealership and they say come back on Monday at 8AM even though 80% of the country works at that time isn't an inconvience? Thank god, I didn't go to the dealership you work at. All they cared about was getting the initial sale; and if the finance manager is too busy then hire an additional person. As far as me wanting to go to another dealership now after they went on sale, that is their own fault. If they had done what they were suppose to this would not have happened. So they can blame themselves.

I have to agree with you on this one, Scott. First of all, if there was nothing signed, there was no legal contract. She does not have to go forward with the purchase. Stop payment of the check immediately (if it hasn't cleared).

Second, it doesn't matter if you took 10 minutes of the dealer's time or 3 hours. The business of selling is like that...you win some and you lose some. Just because they took some time with you doesn't mean you owe them anything. I wish I had a guarantee that every time I spent some time with a client it would be a definite sale!

Best of luck, and let us know what happens.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:52 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

You can easily call off the deal by simply saying 4.8% is too much and that too with a second person of good credit history co-signing. You demand 1.9% or simply walk away to another dealer. Dealer could not cash-in the check unless you have signed anything.

Dont put urself into too much trouble.

In a selling industry - Customer should be master !!
Old 05-03-2004, 09:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by bigblank69
Look I hate to be the one that says you are in the wrong, but hey, I think you've blown this situation WAY out of proportion. I'm a sales manager at a multi franchise dealership, and speaking from experience, getting a approval from the bank TAKES TIME, especially if someone on the loan has sub par credit. Next 4.8 would NOT be a special rate from Nissan. More then likely its a normal bank like Eastern Bank, Chase, Bank north etc. And 4.8 is pretty good, especially if your friend could not get approved on her own in the first place. Sorry it's taking a bit of extra time, but it happens, calm down, she's not buying a toaster from Walmart, cars take time and when credit is the issue it takes LONGER. Also call your SALESPERSON, not the finance manager, sales manager, GM etc.. Calling the salesperson, like eventually what happened, will often get your answer, a salesperson will at most have 5 legit sales working at one time, your a HIGH priority to that person. A finance manager usually has 20-30 customers they are working with at any point. So getting a hold of a F&I manager is going to be tough no matter which dealer you go to. Hell our F&I guys rarely answer the phone, because if they did they'd be on the phone all day and not get 1 ounce of work done.

Lastly because you had to wait 1 extra day now you want to cancel the deal and go with the advertisement in the newspaper. Great, forget about the dealer that went through the trouble of getting a approval at a good rate, forget about the salesman who probably lined your friend up with the car she wants, and spent a good amount of time with. And forget the fact that if you voiced displeasure to the sales manager or GM of the inability to do paperwork when she arrived, the matter could have been resolved then. (We do as Managers do carry some weight when it comes to finance).

BTW What time did she arrive at the dealer? If it was 2:30ish a sales manager never would have let the F&I manager leave without signing papers. However if it was 5pm and just about closing time respect the fact that car sales personel (sp?) usually work 50-60 hours a week, and some of us that have them, do like to see our families once in a while.

Don't mean to go on a rant here, but your story is far from horror show. IT sounds like a mild inconvience.
Sorry bigblank69, being a consumer, I have to support Scott_401 to the fullest. His story wasn't all that outlandish...only in the fact that he was treated wrong. And your reply seems to be full of nothing but excuses. I'm sorry. In the business world, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. So you bet you better bend over backwards to get a deal done. No matter what. That's your livelihood as a car sales manager/F&I Mgr/salesperson. There's just no way around it. The fact that Nissan and other car dealerships exist revolves around the fact that the #1 goal is to PLEASE THE CUSTOMER! Anything less than that, your dealership would be going out of business. As for credit...w/ about 40% of the American populace having some sort of credit "drama", car dealers have no choice but to deal w/ this and make a way for these people to buy a car. Once again, it's the car conglomerate's livelihood. Further, speaking on the matter of his inconvenience...it's plain to see that waiting an extra 3 days is CERTAINLY an inconvenience...ESPECIALLY when the customer/co-signer is ready to sign the contract and give you their money! I've been "round-robin" w/ plenty of dealers and time has NEVER been an issue! Even when I financed my very first car and had my Dad co-sign, I finally drove the car off the lot @ 1 a.m.!!! So please don't say that time is an issue...that's just plain BS. So, yes, I'd say that this dealership is giving them the run-around. There's just something that smells of fish w/ the whole thing...so why not play another dealer against that one? It's the smart thing to do. Their bargaining chip is that they had somebody w/ GOOD CREDIT ready to co-sign! Do you know how hard it is to get someone to co-sign? Anyway, enough of my ranting, but you just got my goat w/ all the excuses. Truth be known that Scott_401's fiance' would be driving a brand new 2004 Nissan MAXIMA right now as we speak if they would have dealt w/ a good/efficient "team" from the get-go...there's just no denying that.
Old 05-03-2004, 12:53 PM

Originally Posted by hofb99
Sorry bigblank69, being a consumer, I have to support Scott_401 to the fullest. His story wasn't all that outlandish...only in the fact that he was treated wrong. And your reply seems to be full of nothing but excuses. I'm sorry. In the business world, IT'S ALL ABOUT THE CUSTOMER. So you bet you better bend over backwards to get a deal done. No matter what. That's your livelihood as a car sales manager/F&I Mgr/salesperson. There's just no way around it. The fact that Nissan and other car dealerships exist revolves around the fact that the #1 goal is to PLEASE THE CUSTOMER! Anything less than that, your dealership would be going out of business. As for credit...w/ about 40% of the American populace having some sort of credit "drama", car dealers have no choice but to deal w/ this and make a way for these people to buy a car. Once again, it's the car conglomerate's livelihood. Further, speaking on the matter of his inconvenience...it's plain to see that waiting an extra 3 days is CERTAINLY an inconvenience...ESPECIALLY when the customer/co-signer is ready to sign the contract and give you their money! I've been "round-robin" w/ plenty of dealers and time has NEVER been an issue! Even when I financed my very first car and had my Dad co-sign, I finally drove the car off the lot @ 1 a.m.!!! So please don't say that time is an issue...that's just plain BS. So, yes, I'd say that this dealership is giving them the run-around. There's just something that smells of fish w/ the whole thing...so why not play another dealer against that one? It's the smart thing to do. Their bargaining chip is that they had somebody w/ GOOD CREDIT ready to co-sign! Do you know how hard it is to get someone to co-sign? Anyway, enough of my ranting, but you just got my goat w/ all the excuses. Truth be known that Scott_401's fiance' would be driving a brand new 2004 Nissan MAXIMA right now as we speak if they would have dealt w/ a good/efficient "team" from the get-go...there's just no denying that.
I agree. Most of the dealers are just out to get you. In my first negotiation, the manager claimed not to even know about the existence of a 5 speed transmission, or any price increase. His story was working for him just fine, until I told him that they were made this way after February 6, and he said, "I Know." He immediately excused himself, and came back with a price. Gee, I wonder why he pulled that crap on me.

Not to mention my repeat visit to the dealer where I ordered my car, to order a brand new fully-loaded pathfinder. I just dropped 31,000 on a Maxima, and now they are playing their usual games on another order. After I walked out, and to another dealer, there were no games. Its like night and day with these people.

Oh, and after I ordered the maxima, which is supposed to be here in 2 weeks, I ordered the Pathfinder from another dealer. THe original dealer has the one I want, but refuses to trade.

Dealers are slime. Just wait until you start talking about the paint sealant and the scotchguard that will cost you $500, and you could easily get the scotchguard from Wal-Mart for $5, but the difference being that you would ACTUALLY PUT IT ON.

I believe everyone has had a bad experience with a dealer at some point in their lives. If its not convenient for them to do something, then you get the run around. If they can manipulate you into anything, they would.

Excuse the rant, but when people stand up for dealers and say how the customer caused all of the problems, and how it wasn't their fault, they are not correct.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:00 PM

You guys want everything to be easy, hey that's fine with me. Pay me MSRP, and everyone will never have a dealer problem again. It's that simple, to be fair I doubt anyone here walks into circuit city, and says I'll pay you $1400 for the $2495 Big screen, even though $1400 is probably what circuit city paid. Fact is we as car dealers get blamed for a few bad apples. I'm sorry to the one of you that blantly got lied to, why did he lie, probably from preventing an order on the car, because to many people BACK OUT from orders, and we get stuck with their car. You may have no intention of doing so, but many do. And they want there deposits back and threaten to file suit if we don't return there money, even though THEY placed the order.

Why are dealers slime for attempting to sell paint protection, it's often a paint warranty being sold not a simple product. And you can say NO. Ever see a Lawn care sheet? Now that can be a rip off.

Next you can not DEMAND 1.9% if you have credit issues, it doesn't matter how strong the co-signer is, Nissan won't give it, people with excellent credit can demand it. Just check www.equifax.com to check your bureau score, anything less then 670 and forget any chance of 1.9%.

Lastly yes sitting around the house for a day waiting is a MILD INCONVIENCE! Sitting at the dealership for 5 hours waiting to be financed is a horror story.

I'm sorry your F&I manager did not suit your needs, and I do agree your not locked into this and I didn't realize you spent such a short amount of time at the dealership to begin with. I wish you luck, and keep in mind A car is typically the second biggest purchase your ever going to make. The biggest usually takes a WHOLE lot longer to finance, and you get stuck paiying points, closing costs, PMI, doc fees, app fees etc... and nobody says a word. Real estate... now that's where the sharks swim....
Old 05-03-2004, 08:20 PM

You guys want everything to be easy, hey that's fine with me. Pay me MSRP, and everyone will never have a dealer problem again. It's that simple, to be fair I doubt anyone here walks into circuit city, and says I'll pay you $1400 for the $2495 Big screen, even though $1400 is probably what circuit city paid. Fact is we as car dealers get blamed for a few bad apples. I'm sorry to the one of you that blantly got lied to, why did he lie, probably from preventing an order on the car, because to many people BACK OUT from orders, and we get stuck with their car. You may have no intention of doing so, but many do. And they want there deposits back and threaten to file suit if we don't return there money, even though THEY placed the order.

Why are dealers slime for attempting to sell paint protection, it's often a paint warranty being sold not a simple product. And you can say NO. Ever see a Lawn care sheet? Now that can be a rip off.

Next you can not DEMAND 1.9% if you have credit issues, it doesn't matter how strong the co-signer is, Nissan won't give it, people with excellent credit can demand it. Just check www.equifax.com to check your bureau score, anything less then 670 and forget any chance of 1.9%.

Lastly yes sitting around the house for a day waiting is a MILD INCONVIENCE! Sitting at the dealership for 5 hours waiting to be financed is a horror story.

I'm sorry your F&I manager did not suit your needs, and I do agree your not locked into this and I didn't realize you spent such a short amount of time at the dealership to begin with. I wish you luck, and keep in mind A car is typically the second biggest purchase your ever going to make. The biggest usually takes a WHOLE lot longer to finance, and you get stuck paiying points, closing costs, PMI, doc fees, app fees etc... and nobody says a word. Real estate... now that's where the sharks swim....
I have to say, I find your posts amusing to say the least. The only sound advice that you have written is that he should have contacted his sales person the moment there was an issue, he is the person with the most to lose and he will do what he can to make it happen.

BTW, you are correct about it being the 2nd largest purchase that most people will make, but making any comparison to a house is just ridiculous. You find me an average person that is buying a car that costs 5+ times their annual salary and will appreciate in value over time, then your comparison stands true. Until then, put down your crack pipe and step away from the keyboard. BTW, last time I went to the model home down the street to let them know something needed to be fixed on my house, I wasn't surrounded by vulchers as I exited my car. Last time I brought my car in for service, I had to fight them off with a stick... yeah, real estate agents are a b*tch to deal with when they all swarm you like flies... NOT!

That being said, when you say it takes time, you do realize you are going against the #1 rule of any business where you sell a product (especially an impulse one) face to face... the sales person let the person leave the lot. I have never sold a car (and hopefully you don't take too much offense by this, but I never would even consider lowering myself to the level of most car salesmen) but I have been in the sales world. Rule #1 is don't let them go somewhere else, if they are here, keep them here. Rule #2 is treat your customer well, or they will treat someone else to their business. This sales person obviously got lost on both rules.

I personally don't mind dealing with sharks, I don't mind standing up for my self and demanding what I will and will not accept. Near perfect credit helps (thanks to my wife sending in the checks on time ), but you should never let the dealer have the upper hand on you. Even if you have less than great credit, get approved somewhere first, so you are not at thier mercy. But you need to be realistic and understand that you have screwed yourself, and you aren't getting a 0%, or 1.9%, or 2.9%, etc, interest rate.

Lastly, no matter what bigblank says, or any dealer says, you owe them nothing. If they do anything that makes you unhappy, go down the street and buy it somewhere else. This is a buyers market, and if they don't realize the fact that there are a dozen dealers in the area with the same car, then they are the ones that are living with their heads in the sand. They need to do it better, and they need to be more customer driven.
Old 05-03-2004, 08:25 PM

Oh, btw, I just have to comment on the MSRP thing. Stop selling cars at "$1 over invoice" and every other gimick you can have the guy in the loud annoying voice read on the radio, and maybe you wouldn't have this issue. If MSRP was reasonable, and the cars being sold were worth it, then you would get it. Ever bought a Mercedes or a BMW? Out here they get MSRP for every deal, but then again, they don't have the stupid comercials on the radio and they sell quality cars... maybe you should go work for them.

Did you buy your house for the amount the seller requested? After all, that is your biggest purchase, surely you didn't counter their original offer...
Old 05-03-2004, 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by gmc74
I have to say, I find your posts amusing to say the least. The only sound advice that you have written is that he should have contacted his sales person the moment there was an issue, he is the person with the most to lose and he will do what he can to make it happen.

BTW, you are correct about it being the 2nd largest purchase that most people will make, but making any comparison to a house is just ridiculous. You find me an average person that is buying a car that costs 5+ times their annual salary and will appreciate in value over time, then your comparison stands true. Until then, put down your crack pipe and step away from the keyboard. BTW, last time I went to the model home down the street to let them know something needed to be fixed on my house, I wasn't surrounded by vulchers as I exited my car. Last time I brought my car in for service, I had to fight them off with a stick... yeah, real estate agents are a b*tch to deal with when they all swarm you like flies... NOT!

That being said, when you say it takes time, you do realize you are going against the #1 rule of any business where you sell a product (especially an impulse one) face to face... the sales person let the person leave the lot. I have never sold a car (and hopefully you don't take too much offense by this, but I never would even consider lowering myself to the level of most car salesmen) but I have been in the sales world. Rule #1 is don't let them go somewhere else, if they are here, keep them here. Rule #2 is treat your customer well, or they will treat someone else to their business. This sales person obviously got lost on both rules.

I personally don't mind dealing with sharks, I don't mind standing up for my self and demanding what I will and will not accept. Near perfect credit helps (thanks to my wife sending in the checks on time ), but you should never let the dealer have the upper hand on you. Even if you have less than great credit, get approved somewhere first, so you are not at thier mercy. But you need to be realistic and understand that you have screwed yourself, and you aren't getting a 0%, or 1.9%, or 2.9%, etc, interest rate.

Lastly, no matter what bigblank says, or any dealer says, you owe them nothing. If they do anything that makes you unhappy, go down the street and buy it somewhere else. This is a buyers market, and if they don't realize the fact that there are a dozen dealers in the area with the same car, then they are the ones that are living with their heads in the sand. They need to do it better, and they need to be more customer driven.
Wow, this is probably some of the most eloquent writing on the entire board.

Can we all agree that we get so upset at the dealers about getting our Maximas because we want the car and are upset when anyone/anything gets in the way? And, isn't it finally so nice when you get the car?

Enjoy the rides. Maybe, my April 1 order will come in one day, and I can be happy too!
Old 05-04-2004, 04:03 AM

Originally Posted by iadubes
Wow, this is probably some of the most eloquent writing on the entire board.

Can we all agree that we get so upset at the dealers about getting our Maximas because we want the car and are upset when anyone/anything gets in the way? And, isn't it finally so nice when you get the car?

Enjoy the rides. Maybe, my April 1 order will come in one day, and I can be happy too!
Waiting sucks....I ordered March 2 and still don't have the car. It left the factory 4/14 (per Nissan) and the dealers says they will get it 5/7 at the earliest.....I find it amazing that it takes over 3weeks (looking like its going to be closer to a month) to get a car from TN to NJ
Old 05-04-2004, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by gmc74
Oh, btw, I just have to comment on the MSRP thing. Stop selling cars at "$1 over invoice" and every other gimick you can have the guy in the loud annoying voice read on the radio, and maybe you wouldn't have this issue. If MSRP was reasonable, and the cars being sold were worth it, then you would get it. Ever bought a Mercedes or a BMW? Out here they get MSRP for every deal, but then again, they don't have the stupid comercials on the radio and they sell quality cars... maybe you should go work for them.

Did you buy your house for the amount the seller requested? After all, that is your biggest purchase, surely you didn't counter their original offer...
FYI Mercedes and BMW have some of the worst reliabilty ratings of all manufacturers... Nice lucury cars, but a Nissan Maxima will outlast a BMW and a Mercedes. And plenty of these dealers will negotiate, just not on hard to get vehicles like 5 and 7 series BMW's and S Class MErcedes.

And BTW I didn't mean a Real Estate agent is a shark, I meant a mortgage broker is a shark. I do get calls at all points of the day from them, and I have heard of terms changing before the close.

To be perfectly honest I feel no one owes us anything as a dealership, it is our responsibilty to keep you satisfied with us. However please keep everything in proportion and be reasonable with requests and complaints, before you cancel a deal. Often by not speaking up, the dealer has no idea your not happy. If you say what you have to say to the sales manager, usually we can try and make things better, perhaps a freebie of some sort or lowering the price etc... Going to the next dealer doesn't mean they are any better, it just means they haven't ****ed you off yet.
Old 05-05-2004, 04:50 AM

To the circuity city comment...yes, you can. Circuit city does price matching, so if I can find a big screen for $1400 and CC will price match, I'll get it from them. Its that simple. MSRP is a joke, you work in a capitalist society not a communist. You can't force people to pay what they can get cheaper somewhere else. Re-read your business class book's chapter (if you went to business school) on supply and demand.

I've bought two houses and four cars. Every one of them went the same way.

1)Credit approval within the hour and interest rate was set.
2)If I didn't like it, I shopped around.
3)Paid for product (house or car).
4)Salesman/Realtor dropped the ball once the papers were signed.
5)Hassled for another month until car came in/house closing.

Salesman are out for money...nothing wrong with that, but there is no reason to be that slimy. If your dealership runs differently, more power to you would love to do business with you. However, most dealerships do not and that is where you get the stigma.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002 Maxima SE
To the circuity city comment...yes, you can. Circuit city does price matching, so if I can find a big screen for $1400 and CC will price match, I'll get it from them. Its that simple. MSRP is a joke, you work in a capitalist society not a communist. You can't force people to pay what they can get cheaper somewhere else. Re-read your business class book's chapter (if you went to business school) on supply and demand.

I've bought two houses and four cars. Every one of them went the same way.

1)Credit approval within the hour and interest rate was set.
2)If I didn't like it, I shopped around.
3)Paid for product (house or car).
4)Salesman/Realtor dropped the ball once the papers were signed.
5)Hassled for another month until car came in/house closing.

Salesman are out for money...nothing wrong with that, but there is no reason to be that slimy. If your dealership runs differently, more power to you would love to do business with you. However, most dealerships do not and that is where you get the stigma.

Really don't think you're gonna get any love here, bigblank69 The vultures are circling...
Old 05-07-2004, 07:48 PM

FYI Mercedes and BMW have some of the worst reliabilty ratings of all manufacturers... Nice lucury cars, but a Nissan Maxima will outlast a BMW and a Mercedes. And plenty of these dealers will negotiate, just not on hard to get vehicles like 5 and 7 series BMW's and S Class MErcedes.

And BTW I didn't mean a Real Estate agent is a shark, I meant a mortgage broker is a shark. I do get calls at all points of the day from them, and I have heard of terms changing before the close.

To be perfectly honest I feel no one owes us anything as a dealership, it is our responsibilty to keep you satisfied with us. However please keep everything in proportion and be reasonable with requests and complaints, before you cancel a deal. Often by not speaking up, the dealer has no idea your not happy. If you say what you have to say to the sales manager, usually we can try and make things better, perhaps a freebie of some sort or lowering the price etc... Going to the next dealer doesn't mean they are any better, it just means they haven't ****ed you off yet.
I would love to see your proof to back that statement about hte reliability of the Maxima vs the BMW and Mercedes. I did a quick search, and the few consumer guides I could find all had the BMWs (3 and 5 series) rated high, the Max rated average.

Point of clarification on your real estate comment. Real Estate agent is to car sales person how mortgage broker is to ???

Give up? Lienance manager... to say that a mortgage broker is worse than a finance manager is like saying a crack dealer is worse than a coke dealer. The only difference in my reading comprehension quiz above is that the real estate agent is the only one that doesn't give the perception of trying to screw you.

If I am being wronged by a dealer, I would rather just go somewhere else. Why would I complain? If they cared about the deal they would do what was right from the beginning. It isn't my job to tell them that they are doing poorly, but I sure will show them by taking my business elsewhere.

When I bought my 04 Max, last April, I was torn between the TL Type S and the Max. I had a deal set on the TL, pending a favorable trade in value on my truck. I gave the sales guy a call on a Monday and told him I wanted to have my truck looked at before Friday, he could pick Tues, Wed or Thur. He said come in on Wed, then called me on Wed and said come in Thurs. Then called me on Thurs and said just bring it tomorrow because he has to leave. I tell him to have his manager look at it, he says ok, then calls me back and says 'just bring it tomorrow, there is nothing he can do'. So I went to the Nissan dealer and traded it in, when he called on Friday I told him I bought a Max, he had the ***** to say "I thought you were bringing your truck in today".. I told him I meant what I said when it had to be looked at by Thursday.

It worked out fine because I am happy with my Max, and I couldn't really make up my mind... the sales guy didn't listen to his customer and lost his deal, not my problem.