6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

USAToday Review of the 6th Gen

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2003, 06:20 AM

USAToday Review of the 6th Gen

James Healey writes a column called "Test Drive" every Friday. He reviews the 6th Gen today. USAToday 6th Gen Review
Old 05-02-2003, 07:42 AM

I think that was a fair review. The major issue, as with all of the reviews, is torque steer. Other than that he was pretty positive. I think it is a stretch to say that you could afford a 3 series BMW or possibly a 525 BMW. I paid 29K for my car, you would pay more than that for a stripped 325i that only has 184 HP (sure it feels like 200, but not 265). If I could get a 330Ci close to 29K, I would have bought one.

“Who'll buy? Lots of different people, of course, but bull's-eye is a 47-year-old, married, male, college graduate with a household income of $100,000 a year and no kids at home. “
I guess I don’t fit the mold… if I was 47 (I am 29) I would want a Porsche to prove that I was still young
Old 05-02-2003, 08:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I wrote Mr. Healy an e-mail

Mr. Healy,

Your article describing the 04' Maxima is somewhat accurate. You are blatantly wrong to suggest a 525 can compete with the 04' Maxima
unless you want a dog of a car that travels to 60 MPH in almost 9 seconds. That is worse than my wife's Trailblazer. The TL, A4, ES 300 and 3-series cost much more for a comparably equipped vehicle. The TL is a big Accord, the A4 is small and slow (my dad had a 2003 A4 and hated it), the ES 300 is an overpriced Camary and the 3-series is much too small and expesive (the 330 is the only car that can compete performance wise). I drive a 330i now and I plan on upgrading (thats right upgrading) to a 04' Maxima this month. The 04' Maxima is quicker, pulls the same numbers on the skid-pad, stops from 60 MPH in the same distance and can at least match the slalom number with the right driver at the wheel (front wheel drive cars pull though turns). The 530i costs $15K more comparably equipped.

I do not expect you to change your mind and I understand that you write your column and that is your opinion. I just want to make sure you formulate that opinion based on real facts and not brand name bias.

Cordially,
Old 05-02-2003, 08:38 AM

Agreed....

Originally posted by gmc74
...I think it is a stretch to say that you could afford a 3 series BMW or possibly a 525 BMW. I paid 29K for my car, you would pay more than that for a stripped 325i that only has 184 HP (sure it feels like 200, but not 265)....
Exactly!! It irritates me when articles and reviews say... "You could have gotten a "whatever" for the same price!

Price comparo's that do not compare similarly equiped and similarly powered vehicles, are IMO completely irrelevant.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:33 AM

That is an annoyance that I have grown to live with.

You could get a <enter name here> with all the bells and whistles, or a <enter more expensive name here> with 4 wheels and a seat...
Old 05-02-2003, 09:35 AM

The columnist responds...

Thanks for your interest in Test Drive.

The other models were included because, a) Nissan says some of them are going to be cross-shopped against Maxima, and b) many shoppers probably would go through the mental comparisons and wonder if they should step up to a full-blown luxury brand, or stick with a roomier Maxima. The price points in the column are approximates, and no attempt was made to suggest that you could get a similarly equipped BMW, etc., for the same price as a Maxima.

But every time a buyer considers a car, it's perfectly logical to wonder if the same money would get you into something else with another benefit you might appreciate -- such as whatever bang a buyer might get from owning a brand that might make the neighbors titter instead of yawn. That's an asset in the view of some folks, and one worth either paying a bit more to get, or sacrificing something -- such as roominess or the foul-weather advantage of front-wheel drive.

Just trying to cover the bases I think most readers would want discussed. Not suggesting that the 525 is as quick, for instance, as the Maxima, or that the ES 300 is as sporty. Only trying to provoke thinking on the part of readers.

Glad to hear you're about to move into a car you're excited about. I bet you like it a lot.

Thanks for reading.
Old 05-02-2003, 09:41 AM

torque steer torque steer torque steer........ - that must be a huge problem with this car, because every review i've been reading brings that up
Old 05-02-2003, 10:27 AM

I don't see it as a real problem, it is just something that you have to be aware of when you slam on the gas. I got used to it very quickly and it doesn't diminish the driving experience at all. I think it is such a big issue for all the reviewers because, well frankly they need to find a big issue... that is what they do
Old 05-02-2003, 10:49 AM

Originally posted by gmc74
That is an annoyance that I have grown to live with.

You could get a &lt;enter name here&gt; with all the bells and whistles, or a &lt;enter more expensive name here&gt; with 4 wheels and a seat...
Old 05-02-2003, 12:15 PM
biggmax

Well I've noticed that the Maxima tends to get compared to cars that are really nothing like it. If you read the review of the '03 Max in Car & Driver from Oct.,2002, they say "although this is one of the quickest sedans for the money...it doesn't stand out from the heard as have previous Maximas because the herd has gotten quicker." It then sites the WRX, Acura TL-S and G35 as the other cars in the herd. G35 and TL-S were far more money than the '03 SE Max, and the WRX, while quick and agile, is sh!tbox to ride in when compared to the Max. The bottomline is, at least as far as the '03 is concerned, is that nothing compares to it for the price, except possibly the Altima V6 in performance, but other than speed, that's a sh!tbox to ride in also by comparison and only has the 5sp. The '04s on the other hand have priced themselves somewhat into Infiniti territory and with the same engines, I think some comaparisons can be made.

Old 05-02-2003, 02:44 PM

the ES 300 is an overpriced Camary
It's Camry, it's also the best selling luxury sedan. It's also not trying to be something it ain't, it's a luxury car, not really Maxima compeitition.
unless you want a dog of a car that travels to 60 MPH in almost 9 seconds. That is worse than my wife's Trailblazer
Obviously, people do not buy 525s for speed. That is what the 540 or M5 is for. 525s are for build quality and prestige with a hint of sport. Yeah, a lil overpriced but not so bad a car.
The TL, A4, ES 300 and 3-series cost much more for a comparably equipped vehicle.
Not anymore. Expect 33k for a NAV equipped model Maxima.
drive a 330i now and I plan on upgrading (thats right upgrading) to a 04' Maxima this month.
That is a downgrade but we can appreciate your confidence.
The '04s on the other hand have priced themselves somewhat into Infiniti territory and with the same engines, I think some comaparisons can be made.
Bingo.
Old 05-02-2003, 03:10 PM

“Quoted Message:

The TL, A4, ES 300 and 3-series cost much more for a comparably equipped vehicle.

Not anymore. Expect 33k for a NAV equipped model Maxima.”

The only car in that group that fits for a price comparison is the TL Type S. All of the others are a lot more.

An A4 with the same equipment (V6, leather, Nav, Bose stereo, etc) prices out at $38,975. A 330i with the same equipment is over $45,000 (Premium package, 18” rims, moon roof, nav, side impact bags for the rear, etc). The ES 300 comes in at $38,260 with the Navi/Mark Levingston audio package.

Some how I don’t understand how a $33,400 car can be lumped into the same category as cars that are all $38,260 and above… not to mention that they don’t have the same horse power that the $33K Max has.

So your choice of cars in the same price range for the same performance are a TL Type S (aka a Honda Accord with 20 more HP) or the Maxima.
Old 05-02-2003, 04:45 PM

Great find. I think it is a fair and accurate evaluation. If I was not a Maxima fan it would not deter me from looking into one.
Old 05-03-2003, 08:12 PM

I find it interesting that the target Maxima buyer is now almost 50 years old with no kids.
Old 05-03-2003, 09:52 PM

I also found that strange, but it still has a desirability factor that makes it attractive for buyers far younger than its target market.
Old 05-04-2003, 04:01 AM

USA Review

Seems to me that the overall message was positive except for the torque steer. The people who review these cars have to test them on skid pad, 0-60 etc. When you nail the gas to the floor on the Max it does produce torque steer, there's no question about it, but in real world driving It is minimal if not non-existent.

As for price, I got into my SE for $28K with plenty of useful features in the base car plus a Bose Stereo / CD Changer. I have owned a lot of cars and most of the so called high end features they have I never even use so I decided to keep it simple. I bought this car for it's handling, power and style and I got all of that for the same price I would have payed for a loaded Altima.

Bottom line is I'm very happy with my purchase. If I lived by what the magazines and newspapers said all the time I would'nt have bought half the cars I have owned.
Old 05-04-2003, 08:57 PM

Man I'm glad I only paid $22k for my '03 Max SE with 10 less hp and about 170 less lbs.

BTW-I'm 36 years old with one kid.
Old 05-04-2003, 09:48 PM

Originally posted by Jules Maximus
Man I'm glad I only paid $22k for my '03 Max SE with 10 less hp and about 170 less lbs.

Haven't we been down this road Jules?

Man, I feel compelled to rebut this, but I won't... you get what you pay for is all I will add.

You enjoy yours, and we will enjoy ours. Now stop reaching for approval and let it go already.
Old 05-10-2003, 08:46 AM

If it didn't have that crude beam axle, the 2003 would have me interested. My local dealer has many of them on the lot and I could get a killer deal on one. The interior on the 2003 is nice, but not quite as nice as the 2004. I still like the 2003 interior though. The suspension improvements on the 2004 are huge. The price difference at this time is tough to swallow. I'm not sure if the 4K difference is worth it. (Discounted 2003 with incentives vs. current market price of 2004.)

Originally posted by Jules Maximus

Old 05-10-2003, 03:54 PM

2Y4 Value

Sure the quad exhausts are cool. And 10 more horses never hurt. But what's with the roof that doesn't open, and the hideous
" French " look grille. I could of bought one, but instead I just bought an '02 with 4800 miles on it about a week ago. The '02 still smells brand new ( pics w/mods coming soon ). It costs $ 10,000 less and personally I think it looks looks 10,000 times better. And I didn't have to support Renault. Oh, and I still have his Super Black older brother for sale ('98 SE leather LOADED!) if anyone's interested. Coincidently, a much better Bose in the '98 than the '02. Wish I could take it with me, but here comes the Basslink.
Old 05-10-2003, 10:19 PM

Re: 2Y4 Value

Originally posted by Jimmimax
Sure the quad exhausts are cool. And 10 more horses never hurt. But what's with the roof that doesn't open, and the hideous
&quot; French &quot; look grille. I could of bought one, but instead I just bought an '02 with 4800 miles on it about a week ago. The '02 still smells brand new ( pics w/mods coming soon ). It costs $ 10,000 less and personally I think it looks looks 10,000 times better. And I didn't have to support Renault. Oh, and I still have his Super Black older brother for sale ('98 SE leather LOADED!) if anyone's interested. Coincidently, a much better Bose in the '98 than the '02. Wish I could take it with me, but here comes the Basslink.
Yea dont that suck that the 5th gen Bose sucks compared to the 4rth gen ( i had a 97 SE previously) wonder if the the Bose still blows in the 6th gen?
Old 05-11-2003, 10:53 AM

The interior on the 2003 is nice, but not quite as nice as the 2004.
The 2003 interior kills the 2004 interior. Just look at the gauges for example. Fit and finish is better in 2003s too.
If it didn't have that crude beam axle, the 2003 would have me interested.
An Altima chassis is not cutting edge either.
Old 05-11-2003, 12:42 PM

I used to have a 2002 Maxima, so I have a pretty good idea about the 2003 interior. I thought for my 15 minutes in the new Maxima, that the quality of Maxima SL I looked at, had nicer/higher quality door panels and dash. I'll take another side-by-side look. The navigation system was very nice. Is it the same as the 2003 model?

The suspension on the Altima and new Maxima is not ground breaking. It is fully independent and has light weight aluminum components. That sure beats the 5th gen suspension.

Originally posted by 1SICKLEX

The 2003 interior kills the 2004 interior. Just look at the gauges for example. Fit and finish is better in 2003s too.

An Altima chassis is not cutting edge either.
Old 05-11-2003, 01:55 PM

Originally posted by AltyPaul
I used to have a 2002 Maxima, so I have a pretty good idea about the 2003 interior. I thought for my 15 minutes in the new Maxima, that the quality of Maxima SL I looked at, had nicer/higher quality door panels and dash. I'll take another side-by-side look. The navigation system was very nice. Is it the same as the 2003 model?

The suspension on the Altima and new Maxima is not ground breaking. It is fully independent and has light weight aluminum components. That sure beats the 5th gen suspension.

Agreed. Also, the graining on the panels are similar to European cars like the 3rd generation Maxima.
Old 05-12-2003, 05:29 AM

Re: I wrote Mr. Healy an e-mail

Originally posted by marmadogg
Mr. Healy,

Your article describing the 04' Maxima is somewhat accurate. You are blatantly wrong to suggest a 525 can compete with the 04' Maxima
unless you want a dog of a car that travels to 60 MPH in almost 9 seconds. That is worse than my wife's Trailblazer. The TL, A4, ES 300 and 3-series cost much more for a comparably equipped vehicle. The TL is a big Accord, the A4 is small and slow (my dad had a 2003 A4 and hated it), the ES 300 is an overpriced Camary and the 3-series is much too small and expesive (the 330 is the only car that can compete performance wise). I drive a 330i now and I plan on upgrading (thats right upgrading) to a 04' Maxima this month. The 04' Maxima is quicker, pulls the same numbers on the skid-pad, stops from 60 MPH in the same distance and can at least match the slalom number with the right driver at the wheel (front wheel drive cars pull though turns). The 530i costs $15K more comparably equipped.

I do not expect you to change your mind and I understand that you write your column and that is your opinion. I just want to make sure you formulate that opinion based on real facts and not brand name bias.

Cordially,
Did your letter to him come complete with spelling errors "Camary" and "expesive?"
Old 05-12-2003, 09:18 AM

Re: Re: I wrote Mr. Healy an e-mail

Originally posted by tbirdrob

Did your letter to him come complete with spelling errors &quot;Camary&quot; and &quot;expesive?&quot;
Old 05-12-2003, 10:20 AM

Re: Re: I wrote Mr. Healy an e-mail

Originally posted by tbirdrob

Did your letter to him come complete with spelling errors &quot;Camary&quot; and &quot;expesive?&quot;
I did not send that letter to him with errors as I ran it though spell check in Word first. Unforunately I did not run it though spell check before I copied and pasted the text into this forum.

Thanks for catching that!
Old 05-12-2003, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: I wrote Mr. Healy an e-mail

Originally posted by JAKE02

I could not agree more!
Old 05-15-2003, 05:04 AM

When shopping for a new car, as I stated in another post, I test drove the Altima, Maxima, TL-S, G35 and G35 Coupe. The Altima, in SE trim, costs about 5 grand more than my wife's 02 SE, which for the interior, or as someone else stated "Sh*tbox" quality, that's too much money. My 00 SE, which is loaded, cost the same $28K as the new Altima SE. The New Maxima, without NAV is around $31 and with NAV around $33k, but it's slower than the Altima...so when I drove down the street to Infinity and found out I could get a loaded G35 with the Sport, Aero, Winter (small spare), Leather and NAV package for Just a tick under $34K I was sold. If the magazines can get the auto version to run 14.6-14.8 at 95+, I am very enthusiastic I can run 14.3-14.5 and be surrounded by one hell of a car. I think Nissan made a big mistake with the new direction for the Max and every sales manager, leasing manager and salesperson I know has agreed...they are losing sales to the Altima based on $$$ and to Acura/Infinity based on Name Brand vs. $$$ vs. equal, if not better performance.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:33 AM

Originally posted by bosssho
When shopping for a new car, as I stated in another post, I test drove the Altima, Maxima, TL-S, G35 and G35 Coupe. The Altima, in SE trim, costs about 5 grand more than my wife's 02 SE, which for the interior, or as someone else stated &quot;Sh*tbox&quot; quality, that's too much money. My 00 SE, which is loaded, cost the same $28K as the new Altima SE. The New Maxima, without NAV is around $31 and with NAV around $33k, but it's slower than the Altima...so when I drove down the street to Infinity and found out I could get a loaded G35 with the Sport, Aero, Winter (small spare), Leather and NAV package for Just a tick under $34K I was sold. If the magazines can get the auto version to run 14.6-14.8 at 95+, I am very enthusiastic I can run 14.3-14.5 and be surrounded by one hell of a car. I think Nissan made a big mistake with the new direction for the Max and every sales manager, leasing manager and salesperson I know has agreed...they are losing sales to the Altima based on $$$ and to Acura/Infinity based on Name Brand vs. $$$ vs. equal, if not better performance.
Right you are John, i have been on here saying myself that the new Max is to much money when compared to the G35. Granted i know the G35 is too small for some folks, but generally speaking with the addition of an available 6 speed, the G35 is hard to beat with the Infiniti service/quality one receives vs Nissan. I too visited a couple of Nissan dealers lately and heard salesmen/managers complaining the New Max is a hard sell between the cheaper Altima and upscale G35. Of course with Nissan themselves decreasing the new Maxima sales numbers versus years past they are not dependent evidently on the Maxima like they once was.
Old 05-15-2003, 06:11 PM

Right you are John, i have been on here saying myself that the new Max is to much money when compared to the G35. Granted i know the G35 is too small for some folks, but generally speaking with the addition of an available 6 speed, the G35 is hard to beat with the Infiniti service/quality one receives vs Nissan. I too visited a couple of Nissan dealers lately and heard salesmen/managers complaining the New Max is a hard sell between the cheaper Altima and upscale G35. Of course with Nissan themselves decreasing the new Maxima sales numbers versus years past they are not dependent evidently on the Maxima like they once was.
Yep, I actually just found out the new leasing manager at the Nissan Dealer I got the other two Maxes at used to work at Infinity and he hooked me up with their top sales guy who beat the other two Infinity dealers by $15 and $68/Mo...so I just got off the phone with him and after $300.00 out of pocket I will be driving a New G35 for $58/more a month than my 00 Max is costing me right now...I am psyched...They had to special order it...It's the Silver G35 with the Leather, Sport, Winter, Aero and NAV package...Woohoo.
Old 05-15-2003, 07:54 PM

Good GOD man! Did you go to school (that is high school because there is no way your dumb @ss went to college!!!)?!?! Please tell me that you learned English as a second language because a 4 year old can construct a sentence better than you can.

"...i have been on here saying myself that..." (What the hell is that?)
"...I too visited..."
"...like they once was..." reading your posts are painful!

Are you too lazy to proof read or are you just ignorant?!?!

You really should not throw stones.
Old 05-16-2003, 06:15 AM

Originally posted by marmadogg

Good GOD man! Did you go to school (that is high school because there is no way your dumb @ss went to college!!!)?!?! Please tell me that you learned English as a second language because a 4 year old can construct a sentence better than you can.

&quot;...i have been on here saying myself that...&quot; (What the hell is that?)
&quot;...I too visited...&quot;
&quot;...like they once was...&quot; reading your posts are painful!

Are you too lazy to proof read or are you just ignorant?!?!

You really should not throw stones.
Sorry dog didnt realize you are an english professor. I usually browse this forum during breaks at work so I guess I am in a hurry when i post. No i dont proof read I just merely put some thoughts down quickly not knowing their would be some **** retentive freak on here like yourself, with their dictionary and spell check at hand. Whatever, I dont really care what you think I am just here to chat with fellow max enthusiasts not A$$ holes like you. so shut up and put your spell check down and get a life.
Old 05-16-2003, 07:08 AM

Sorry dog didnt realize you are an english professor. I usually browse this forum during breaks at work so I guess I am in a hurry when i post. No i dont proof read I just merely put some thoughts down quickly not knowing their would be some **** retentive freak on here like yourself, with their dictionary and spell check at hand. Whatever, I dont really care what you think I am just here to chat with fellow max enthusiasts not A$$ holes like you. so shut up and put your spell check down and get a life.
Old 05-17-2003, 06:50 AM

Guys....take it easy...it's just a forum about cars...leave the spell check stuff to the College Professors, and the bickering to marriage. Not everyone cuts and pastes from Word to their posts so as long as the point in easily gotten, than spelling is really no big deal. His reply was to me and I got everything he meant without having to reread anything. Have a great weekend!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:10 PM

What it really came down to for me was the ergonomics of the car. The G35 was designed by morons. I couldn't beleive how they placed the controls in that thing. A guy at my office has permanent indents on his right hip from the seat controls

The G35 is sharper looking and handles better, but I needed the whole package. I have had my car 4 weeks and I have 2500 miles, it is all about comfort for me.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:31 PM

I hear you on the ergos being a bit strange, but after test driving several of them, the buttons are no where near my right leg and when I am driving a lot of times my left hand is the only one on the wheel so they are actually convenient (at least for me), but if you don't like it, you shouldn't own it right...so at least we were both smart enough to test drive the hell out of the cars and pick the ones that we were both VERY happy with. Have a great time with that 04!
Old 05-19-2003, 03:38 PM
I'm needing a caw

You can't really compare the two. Maxima is bigger but is fwd etc.. G35 is squarely targeted at the 3-series bmws and is rwd etc.. This has been mentioned before. So maybe Nissan didn't make a mistake with the newest Maxima. Why? Because in order to get something similar(hmm other than the Altima) w/ a decent interior, you would have to move up to the M45 Infiniti. Which is quite a bit more expensive than the maxima.
Old 05-19-2003, 03:40 PM

get back to work, the customer wants fries and a McApple pie...

I bet Jake is happy to see me return from vacation
Old 05-19-2003, 03:43 PM

Originally posted by bosssho
I hear you on the ergos being a bit strange, but after test driving several of them, the buttons are no where near my right leg and when I am driving a lot of times my left hand is the only one on the wheel so they are actually convenient (at least for me), but if you don't like it, you shouldn't own it right...so at least we were both smart enough to test drive the hell out of the cars and pick the ones that we were both VERY happy with. Have a great time with that 04!
Yep, that is pretty dead on. I would have bought it if it was a bit bigger and had better placement of the controls (like the mirror controls on the column, what is up with that?). I was kind of disappointed that it didn't have power tilt and telescope.

Jeff,

The G35 may be aimed more at the BMW, but it definately competes with the Maxima as well. I looked at all of the cars in those classes.

Quick Reply: USAToday Review of the 6th Gen