4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Brake pad wear indicator - which side?

Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 PM

Brake pad wear indicator - which side?

Hello,

I'm trying to do my first brake job (front), and I have a question which might seem silly, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

My new pads only have one wear indicator for each side (at least that's what I'm assuming the little plate of metal to be).

1. Does the pad with the indicator go on the inside or outside of the rotor?
2. Does the indicator go toward the front (meaning a given spot on the rotor would meet it after passing the pad when driving forward) or toward the back (rotor would meet it first, then the pad)?

For the record, they're currently on the outside toward the back. But they were last changed at a body shop following an accident, and based on the rest of the hack job they've done, I can't trust that they've done it correctly.

I don't think it'll make any difference, but the rotors and calipers are being changed out as well.

Thanks.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:41 PM
No more Maximas...

Stock they're inboard and up, but it really doesn't matter:

Old 12-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I've always put them on the outside, but it doesn't matter.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:50 PM

Thanks a lot for the quick replies. It's very helpful.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 PM

Personally, I'm an 'inny', as opposed to an outty. My reasoning is because, if your slide pins are stuck and don't slide, that warning tab will continuously scrape the rotor after you let go of the brake pedal, scoring the rotor.

The warning tab is supposed to touch the rotor only when you're braking.

Dr J
Old 12-15-2008, 10:00 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

I always put them on the inside against the piston. If the caliper gets sticky the inner pad will wear faster, and usually always does (slightly) anyhow.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:15 PM

I also put them on the inside, as said, the the slider pins are sticky, not only will it scrape, but the inboard pad will wear much much faster, and you won't know that your pads are down until they're scoring the crap out of the rotor.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by TunerMaxima3000
I also put them on the inside, as said, the the slider pins are sticky, not only will it scrape, but the inboard pad will wear much much faster, and you won't know that your pads are down until they're scoring the crap out of the rotor.
I rotate tires every oil change, 3000 miles... I'm always inspecting the pads while the wheel's out... also inspecting suspension and what-not down there. If there's 1mm of brake pad left, it's prob a good time to start looking for new pads. Then next oil change, the new pads go in. I really don't like scoring rotors, esp expensive high performance rotors.
Dr J
Old 06-07-2018, 01:40 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Wear indicator

Originally Posted by ThurzNite
Personally, I'm an 'inny', as opposed to an outty. My reasoning is because, if your slide pins are stuck and don't slide, that warning tab will continuously scrape the rotor after you let go of the brake pedal, scoring the rotor.
The warning tab is supposed to touch the rotor only when you're braking.

Dr J
Actually, the indicator doesn’t touch rotors till worn down enough. Then will continue scratching against rotor making noise letting you know time to change. Also, something that’s not done enough by mechanics is brush and clean all parts of caliper and especially caliper pins!! I wipe with rag, use steel wool and twist and buff on slider pins till looks like new and use a moly lube or high temp lube and cover all over pin, just don’t get on threads. Clean and brush the slots on that brake bracket that the pads slide into. Some systems use stainless shims that go on pad bracket too that once on braket, lube with same stuff. It took a few yrs of doing till I started doing right, but if you take the time to lube up the parts that move or slide you’ll get excellent brake wear and performance. Really helps on that..... one pad wearing more than other. Pins not sliding. Do not get lube on pads !!! If you do, use some brake cleaner and just enough to clean and dry. Always, if you have questions, You Tube A1 Auto and or Eric the Car Guy and watch the videos. You’ll be the one benefiting greatly and getting longer service out of you particular fix. Capn

Last edited by capntucker; 06-07-2018 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Wrong spelling
Old 06-07-2018, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by donut
Hello,

I'm trying to do my first brake job (front), and I have a question which might seem silly, but I haven't been able to find a definitive answer.

My new pads only have one wear indicator for each side (at least that's what I'm assuming the little plate of metal to be).

1. Does the pad with the indicator go on the inside or outside of the rotor?
2. Does the indicator go toward the front (meaning a given spot on the rotor would meet it after passing the pad when driving forward) or toward the back (rotor would meet it first, then the pad)?

For the record, they're currently on the outside toward the back. But they were last changed at a body shop following an accident, and based on the rest of the hack job they've done, I can't trust that they've done it correctly.

I don't think it'll make any difference, but the rotors and calipers are being changed out as well.

Thanks.
Hows it going? If you need any parts for your vehicle, check out our website. We even offer free shipping. All New OEM Nissan parts and we have competitively lower prices compared to other New OEM parts sellers. We have brake pads and rotors kits as well. If you need anything else just let me know.
https://www.beelineparts.com/

Jake McDaniel – eCommerce Business Development

eComm Direct: (844) 851-3918
Old 06-08-2018, 04:19 AM

"Holy Resurrection" ... of a 10 year old thread.
Old 06-12-2018, 09:29 PM

pep boys told me $750 for pads, front and rear. I bought the drilled and slotted package from rock auto for $150 and the rear cost me $28. This was for my 5th gen daily beater and this was for pads and rotors. Ceramic rear and those sporty carbon fiber front.