3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wiper fluid leak

Old 10-08-2008, 09:17 AM
White_Shadow

Wiper fluid leak

Hello! I've had this problem for a while but I think it's time to pay attention and fix it.

My wiper fluid is filled to the top no problems, I activate the wipers no problem, but if I use the fluid it comes out normally and clean my windshield perfectly, but then I park the car and I see a drip coming from inside of the front bumper passanger side (obviously cuz there's the wiper fluid box) and it doesn't stop until the whole fluid is gone.

If I fill it up again it won't drip, but if I activate the wipers using the fluid it will go again draining all fluid.

This makes me think there's either a problem with the pump or the hose not the fluid container, I've tried to peek under the car but it seems a PITA to access this section, so I rather check with you guys to see if you have any suggestions before doing anything, Thanks!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by rmdl51
Hello! I've had this problem for a while but I think it's time to pay attention and fix it.

My wiper fluid is filled to the top no problems, I activate the wipers no problem, but if I use the fluid it comes out normally and clean my windshield perfectly, but then I park the car and I see a drip coming from inside of the front bumper passanger side (obviously cuz there's the wiper fluid box) and it doesn't stop until the whole fluid is gone.

If I fill it up again it won't drip, but if I activate the wipers using the fluid it will go again draining all fluid.

This makes me think there's either a problem with the pump or the hose not the fluid container, I've tried to peek under the car but it seems a PITA to access this section, so I rather check with you guys to see if you have any suggestions before doing anything, Thanks!
so you can fill it up and leave it forever and it won't leak, UNTIL you use the pump once?
Old 10-08-2008, 09:38 AM
White_Shadow

Originally Posted by CapedCadaver
so you can fill it up and leave it forever and it won't leak, UNTIL you use the pump once?
That's correct!
Old 10-08-2008, 09:55 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

That's correct!
unscrew the black shield thingy and get a look at the pump area when it starts leaking to get a good look at where it's coming from. probably gonna have to either reseal it or get a new tank/pump assembly.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:15 AM
White_Shadow

I haven't take a deep look at it but my first guess when looking at the wiper fluid container was that I need to access all this section from under the car, am I right?

or probably that "black shield thingy" you refer is what it makes me think I would have to access from under the car and I just need to remove that thing.
Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I haven't take a deep look at it but my first guess when looking at the wiper fluid container was that I need to access all this section from under the car, am I right?

or probably that "black shield thingy" you refer is what it makes me think I would have to access from under the car and I just need to remove that thing.
yea from under the car. it's the inner fender, just extends all the way out to the front of the car as well as the wheel wells. if you undo that fender support bar and undo a few screws you can pull it down and look at the pump
Old 10-08-2008, 01:41 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Mine has been leaking for years, it's a slow leak, usually takes about a month or so for the washer fluid light to come on.

I poked my head under there some time back, i think it's leaking somewhere around the pump motor seal. I'll fix it if it gets worse.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:38 PM
White_Shadow

Originally Posted by Greeny
Mine has been leaking for years, it's a slow leak, usually takes about a month or so for the washer fluid light to come on.

I poked my head under there some time back, i think it's leaking somewhere around the pump motor seal. I'll fix it if it gets worse.
LMAO

Mine did this before the engine swap (back in January I think) and never put enough attention to it, but since winter is coming up I'm going to use the wipers and well I think I'm missing to fix something in the car

BTW, my washer fluid light never comes on, and it's a slow dripping also but maybe faster than yours, I used the wipers on saturday and sunday morning was a considerably big spot of fluid then monday a little bit smaller so tueday and today just a few drops.
Old 10-08-2008, 02:45 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

LMAO

Mine did this before the engine swap (back in January I think) and never put enough attention to it, but since winter is coming up I'm going to use the wipers and well I think I'm missing to fix something in the car

BTW, my washer fluid light never comes on, and it's a slow dripping also but maybe faster than yours, I used the wipers on saturday and sunday morning was a considerably big spot of fluid then monday a little bit smaller so tueday and today just a few drops.
when you top the system off does it take a second or two for the fluid to hit the windshield the first time you use it? what about after it starts leaking... does it still take a second to actually reach the windshield? you may be leaking the contents of the pump-to-nozzle tubing... and nothing more, by way of a cracked rubber tube after the pump. or does your ENTIRE tank drain down if you fill it and use it once?
Old 10-08-2008, 03:55 PM
White_Shadow

mmmm.... I didn't get exactly what you are asking me caped, first, yes if I go right now and pull the wiper switch to activate the fluid I can hear the buzzing sound from the pump and after about a second fluid start coming out from nozzles and hit the windshield.

The dripping has completely stopped by now, so if I go out and fill it up it won't drip until I activate the wipers again, after I use it it will keep draining the entire tank until there's something like 10% of fluid, or least that's what I can see aprox, the drip is exactly from inside the fender where the front bumper ends on the very corner
Old 10-08-2008, 05:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

mmmm.... I didn't get exactly what you are asking me caped, first, yes if I go right now and pull the wiper switch to activate the fluid I can hear the buzzing sound from the pump and after about a second fluid start coming out from nozzles and hit the windshield.

The dripping has completely stopped by now, so if I go out and fill it up it won't drip until I activate the wipers again, after I use it it will keep draining the entire tank until there's something like 10% of fluid, or least that's what I can see aprox, the drip is exactly from inside the fender where the front bumper ends on the very corner
ok yea what i was thinking was maybe it was just draining from the hose leading to the hood, rather than the tank itself.... but it appears that yours is leaking out some seal between tank and pump.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:43 PM

does anyone know where to get a new pump? mine is leaking. It isn't coming from where the pump mounts to the tank. It is leaking right through the pump. I guess they have internal seals or something.
Old 11-09-2008, 07:44 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by gapboi210
does anyone know where to get a new pump? mine is leaking. It isn't coming from where the pump mounts to the tank. It is leaking right through the pump. I guess they have internal seals or something.
Ever heard of autozone/ advanced auto? napa? all around $20
Old 11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

http://www.courtesyparts.com/27485-p...4-p-57148.html

or

advance autoparts part 177310

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 11-09-2008 at 07:57 PM.
Old 11-09-2008, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Greeny
Ever heard of autozone/ advanced auto? napa? all around $20

ever heard of not being rude? i checked with advance and autozone and all they sell are universal inline pumps
Old 11-09-2008, 09:18 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

ever heard of not being rude? i checked with advance and autozone and all they sell are universal inline pumps
the fit-to-car ones seem to be online-only
Old 11-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Banned

rmd, just jack the front up, put the car on stands, remove the plastic sheild, and get someone to operate the pump when you are there watching. It's much easier to re-produce the problem and you'll see exactly what's happening.

I think I recall removing that front wheel to access moving the sheild - and I didn't completely remove the sheild, I just pulled the front part down when I removed 3 of the plastic clips.

I had a similar scenario as you, but when I poured it into the tub, it started leaking right out the bottom. Somehow the hose got disconnected - that's all it was. But yours is a bit different.

I drove a whole winter without washer fluid - it was the worst.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:19 PM

yeah i already looked and confirmed it is just seeping through the pump. Maybe I will look at taking the pump apart and siliconing it.
Old 11-10-2008, 05:31 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

See the rubber grommet on each pump? It fits into the washer tank. neither are inline pumps.
Old 11-10-2008, 10:28 PM

i checked and resealed that part. I looked and it seems to be leaking between the metal motor part and the plastic elbow.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:17 AM
CHM

I had to rebuild my washer pump, but it wasn't easy. It's still working great, but you might consider just ordering a new pump/reservoir assembly as they are not too expensive.
Old 11-12-2008, 04:40 PM

i checked with nissan and apparently i get a new pump for $34. not bad at all.