3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Injectors 1,3,5 have no power

Old 07-22-2008, 02:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Injectors 1,3,5 have no power

I have recently found out that injectors 1,3,5 are not getting any power. I check the harness and it check out good, I even flipped the entire inector rail and used the 2,4,6 harness to make sure the injectors where not bad and they work pefectly. I need to know what are the chances of the ECU being bad and how to go about troubleshooting the issue.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:46 PM

Clogged fuel rail? Idk, shot in the dark.. sounds odd that one entire bank is not getting power.
Youre misfiring on 3? God, that must sound like death unleashed, no??
Old 07-22-2008, 02:51 PM

Hey MaximaNoob, I verified the the rail was good also when I used 2,4,6 harness. I saw injector 1,3,5 spray.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by Amillyon
Hey MaximaNoob, I verified the the rail was good also when I used 2,4,6 harness. I saw injector 1,3,5 spray.
Well, it's worth a shot, but try getting the 135 harness from a junk yard. You could just splice in the new harness without having to removing much, and if it sprays, then that was your problem.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:54 PM

Ooo my bad, so you were saying the harness isnt powering them..
k gotcha..
Old 07-22-2008, 02:59 PM

Hey Dhunterx I did a continuity check on the harness from end to end and it's good.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:39 PM

check the ecu codes?
http://forums.nicoclub.com/zerothread?id=126534

you sound like you know what the hell you're doing.. so I cant be much help, other than that list of codes the ecu can throw out.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:13 PM

Thats weird that you're getting power on all of em, yet one side is getting juice... I'm gonna leave this up to the experts of the forums. That is a weird issue.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:55 PM

Dhunterx, I'm only getting power to 2,4,6. To run a test on the injectors 1,3,5 I simply hook the 2,4,6 harness to see if they would fire and they did. This let me know there was no power getting to injectors 1,3,5. I also check the wire harness for 1,3,5 that plugs to main harness and the continuity was good from end to end.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:06 PM

I have recently found out that injectors 1,3,5 are not getting any power. I check the harness and it check out good, I even flipped the entire inector rail and used the 2,4,6 harness to make sure the injectors where not bad and they work pefectly. I need to know what are the chances of the ECU being bad and how to go about troubleshooting the issue.
Check your pinouts for #1 is 101 #3 is 103 #5 is 105 on ecu. You should have power there just simply test to make sure you have correct voltage coming out of those. If not check your ground. If Your ground is ok but have power coming out and no power to injectors You can simply splice a new wire and bypass the whole mile those wires run through the car. I had very similar problem and just ran the power wires for 2 and 6 straight to ECU and worked just fine. If you look by ECU there is a blue and a white plug injector wires go through there and beyond there don't know where they go. They switch colors few times so don't worry if colors don't match up by the Chiltons schematic. Let me know if that doesn't work.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:35 PM
Jesus was a Zombie.

are you simply not getting a positive to each, or are you not getting a reading off of both pins? what I mean is, I believe that all 6 get positive power all the time, and are triggered by the ecu completing the circuit by grounding them.
this could be wrong, but I am too tired to search.
Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 PM

I don't think he has checked what has power just knows front arn't working most likely just don't have power is the most common problem with them.
Old 07-23-2008, 03:54 PM

Have you checked the injector grounds for the rear bank? Is the ECU providing power at the ecu for the injectors? Is this a VG or VE? If its a VG check your distributor optical timing wheel maybe 1,3,5 have something blocking it? Swap out you knock sensor with another! Use a noid tester.... on those injector plugs
Old 07-24-2008, 04:17 PM

After doing some checks I found that I have power at injectors 1,3,5 when I have the ignition switch on. When I grounded my test light I heard the injector fire which tells me there is a problem with the ground. So if this is the case is there a possibility that the ECU is not providing the ground to close the circuit? I also have continuity from each connector back to the battery with the positive lead to the battery unhooked.

Last edited by Amillyon; 07-24-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-24-2008, 06:34 PM

very well could be an injector but not guarantee
Old 07-24-2008, 08:19 PM

It's not I have already checked them.
Old 07-25-2008, 01:36 AM

Sounds like possible ECU as you stated b4.....
Old 07-25-2008, 06:47 AM
mod or sell?

sounds like a bad harness to me.
Old 07-25-2008, 12:24 PM

Here's the update, I swapped out the ECU and still no luck to injectors 1, 3, 5. I'm about to pull my hair out on this one, I have a red/blue, red/yellow and red/black with a peppermint colored wire going into another harness (the main harness). This is connected to green/spotted silver, a green/brown with spotted silver and one brown wire that go back to the ECM. The continuity from the ECM connector to each wire is good (a few inches past the connector). I did get a high reading on the spotted silver between the connector that plugs into the injector harness and the other side right before it goes in the car. With the ignition on and each injector unplug I get power to each wire except 3 and 5. I get power to 3 and 5 only when 1,3,5 are connected. If anyone can make sense of this please post.

Last edited by Amillyon; 07-25-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:43 PM

Ok, my ECU is throwing a code 34 Knock sensor would this keep injectors 1,3,5 from spraying? If anyone sees raeqwon28 online please tell him I'm having the same issue he was having in this post >>>> http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...e-harness.html I'm sure he could tell me what the problem is!!

Last edited by Amillyon; 07-25-2008 at 09:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 12:21 AM

sounds about right! There jobs is to retard timing or cut down cylinders when detonation is sensed, try to unplug it replace it and try to start it! Knock sensors can do some weird things!
Old 07-26-2008, 11:28 AM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by CMax03
sounds about right! There jobs is to retard timing or cut down cylinders when detonation is sensed, try to unplug it replace it and try to start it! Knock sensors can do some weird things!
but why would that just cut off 3 of them?
Old 07-26-2008, 03:45 PM

I can't tihink of anything else that would retard timing or drop a cylinder via the ECU.....
Old 07-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Originally Posted by CMax03
I can't tihink of anything else that would retard timing or drop a cylinder via the ECU.....
i've never even heard of the KS making injectors shut off, ever.
Old 07-26-2008, 06:33 PM

Capedcadaver, we've spoken before a few months back I'm in Durham,NC. To give you a run down of what happened. I have injectors 1,3, and 5 not spraying, so far I have swapped the ECU and the injectors ohm out at 11.5. I have power to all the injectors when the connectors are on each injector. If I disconnect all of the connections from each injector I have power at all except 3,5. I only get power to 3 and 5 when 1 is connected to the injector along with 3 and5. If I ground the 1,3,5 injectors with my test light then I hair each one spray. The continuity was good from the ECU/SMJ connector to a inches passed it on the brown/spotted silver, green/spotted silver and Green/black striped wire. What could be keeping my injectors from spraying?

Last edited by Amillyon; 07-26-2008 at 06:36 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 07:33 PM

Unwrap your Harness the power wires of injectors 1,3,5 are spliced together and more than likely those Nissan factory crimps are coming apart! The 1,3,5 all have a wht/blu power wire....
Old 07-26-2008, 07:58 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Capedcadaver, we've spoken before a few months back I'm in Durham,NC. To give you a run down of what happened. I have injectors 1,3, and 5 not spraying, so far I have swapped the ECU and the injectors ohm out at 11.5. I have power to all the injectors when the connectors are on each injector. If I disconnect all of the connections from each injector I have power at all except 3,5. I only get power to 3 and 5 when 1 is connected to the injector along with 3 and5. If I ground the 1,3,5 injectors with my test light then I hair each one spray. The continuity was good from the ECU/SMJ connector to a inches passed it on the brown/spotted silver, green/spotted silver and Green/black striped wire. What could be keeping my injectors from spraying?
well it seems you have some sort of kentucky fried wire situation then. the injectors will show proper continuity individually.... but what you need to see is if injector 3 on one end continues to both 3 and 5 on the other end, etc. it seems that they are somehow messed up in that mannner, to where they are sharing continuity. also don't use a test light for anything on the injector circuits on the ECU. it'll kill your ECU. use a noid light (has like 11.5ohm so it pretends to be an injector) or use a multimeter.. not a test light.

i apologize for not remembering you either... there's a lot of members and it's hard to remember who's where. i just put my location under my avatar so it's easy to see at a glance. anyhow are you a VE or a VG?
Old 07-27-2008, 01:47 PM

Hey Capedcadaver, thanks for the response I have a 94 GXE. I'm going to do some checks and will post some pictures.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:04 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Hey Capedcadaver, thanks for the response I have a 94 GXE. I'm going to do some checks and will post some pictures.
that thread you linked me doesn't work
Old 07-27-2008, 03:30 PM

Ok, I thought so. I tried to use the old thread command in the link but still nothing. Just to let everyone know I recently put a tranny in this car. I saw a thread where someone else was having the same problem with injectors 1,3,5 not working on an 89SE. The question that was asked was :

"Be sure you don't have the wiring harness for the front injectors flipped around with the wiring harness for the nuetral/reverse sensor coming from the tranny. Yes they fit in each other, yes it cuts out the front 3 cylinders, yes I've done it.

For all three to be out that'd be one of my guesses if you ever unhooked those wires. They're easy to flip around if you don't know the wires too well." mtcookson

Could this happen on a 94 GXE being that I just put a tranny in?
Old 07-27-2008, 03:45 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Ok, I thought so. I tried to use the old thread command in the link but still nothing. Just to let everyone know I recently put a tranny in this car. I saw a thread where someone else was having the same problem with injectors 1,3,5 not working on an 89SE. The question that was asked was :

"Be sure you don't have the wiring harness for the front injectors flipped around with the wiring harness for the nuetral/reverse sensor coming from the tranny. Yes they fit in each other, yes it cuts out the front 3 cylinders, yes I've done it.

For all three to be out that'd be one of my guesses if you ever unhooked those wires. They're easy to flip around if you don't know the wires too well." mtcookson

Could this happen on a 94 GXE being that I just put a tranny in?
the FRONT injectors are 2 4 and 6.... that is how you are labelling them correct? you are not getting power from the rear ones?

http://forums.maxima.org/3rd-generat...hats-next.html read that entire thread

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 07-27-2008 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 03:54 PM

++++++++++
Firewall
+++++++++++++
135 <-------- Not working (connected to a sub harness) Wire Red/black Red Yellow, Red/Blue
+++++++++++++
Front of the car
++++++++++++

Last edited by Amillyon; 07-27-2008 at 04:01 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:03 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

++++++++++
Firewall
+++++++++++++
246 <-------- Not working (connected to a sub harness) Wire Red/black Red Yellow, Red/Blue
+++++++++++++
Front of the car
++++++++++++
free fix. look at the number on the distributor cap and follow the wires to their destinations.
i thought you were talking about the rears the whole time.

http://i164.photobucket.com/albums/u...t/IMG_1631.jpg see the #s on the wires? ignore the turbo that i used as a photo-op/joke

Last edited by CapedCadaver; 07-27-2008 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-27-2008, 04:42 PM

I'm at work at the moment, so standing in front of the car the closest three cylinders are 2,4,6 ? Another thing is that the harness that is attach to the those injectors have 4 wires, One red/white wire that they all share and then Red/black, Red Yellow, Red/Blue which is now plugged into a connector that only has three wires Brown, green and green/black..... something isn't connected. That post you sent me makes me think I have something hooked up wrong for sure.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:16 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'm at work at the moment, so standing in front of the car the closest three cylinders are 2,4,6 ? Another thing is that the harness that is attach to the those injectors have 4 wires, One red/white wire that they all share and then Red/black, Red Yellow, Red/Blue which is now plugged into a connector that only has three wires Brown, green and green/black..... something isn't connected. That post you sent me makes me think I have something hooked up wrong for sure.
brown and greenblack and green are all tranny inhibitor wires. redblue redyellow redblack and redwhite are injectors. swap that shyte pronto mang. and pray you haven't nuked and/or fried anything else when stuff was basically shorted out by the misplug.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:33 PM

I'm very relieved to know exactly what the problem was. My tranny inhibitor wires are attached to my front row of injectors WOW!! The connectors are the same shape and it's very easy to get them mixed up if you don't pay attention. I would like to thank everyone who gave their input and stuck it out to the end. Capedcadaver I'm right here in Durham if ever need some help just hit me up. I have a boat load of tools and don't mind getting my hands dirty. If you have an instant messenger ID send me a private message, everyone thanks again!
Old 07-27-2008, 05:36 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

I'm very relieved to know exactly what the problem was. My tranny inhibitor wires are attached to my front row of injectors WOW!! The connectors are the same shape and it's very easy to get them mixed up if you don't pay attention. I would like to thank everyone who gave their input and stuck it out to the end. Capedcadaver I'm right here in Durham if ever need some help just hit me up. I have a boat load of tools and don't mind getting my hands dirty. If you have an instant messenger ID send me a private message, everyone thanks again!
if you've got a good jack and an extra pair of jackstands i can borrow for a week that'd be kinda cool..... i don't have any good jacks so i can't lift my car up as high as i need to most of the time.

did you swap them and now it runs right?
Old 07-27-2008, 05:40 PM

Well capedcadaver I'm at work here in Cary at the moment, so I'll have to swap them when I get home tonight. Yes, I have a two ton shop jack and some heavy duty jack stands I got from Harbor Frieght tools.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:44 PM
Call me Wookiee Goldberg

Well capedcadaver I'm at work here in Cary at the moment, so I'll have to swap them when I get home tonight. Yes, I have a two ton shop jack and some heavy duty jack stands I got from Harbor Frieght tools.
ugh i used to work in cary at this thinly-disguised door-to-door marketing (not sales, because we were soliciting free estimates). worst job ever. i quit it a week before i started my 5spd swap. anyhow maybe tomorrow or something we can do that. i wouldn't want to make you drive from cary all the hell back to durham, and THEN back out here to freaking east raleigh (that'd be like 70 miles of driving by the time you got home) so late at night and all.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:50 PM

Yeah not mention I have to put my car back together...lol