6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

Maxima Air Conditioner?

Old 05-12-2004, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Maxima Air Conditioner?

I dont think my air conditioner is working because it does not get so cold, I was wondering how it was in your cars? I have had mine for 11 months and i dont ever remember it working that well. I called nissan and the guy asked me if i was using it right. Basically he was an a-hole. Does it sound broken and is it covered under warranty
Old 05-12-2004, 08:21 PM

mine is cold as hell, I live in AZ so it needs to be.

Set the temp to 60 and see if it is cold, if it isn't cold in a minute or less, bring it in.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:34 PM

Mines nice and frosty
It's super nice around this time of year

You might have to get your A/C recharged, which your dealer or auto shop can do.
Old 05-12-2004, 08:41 PM

Maybe you should show the dealer and they'll tell you if it's working properly or not. I imagine it should be under warranty since your car is fairly new.
Old 05-12-2004, 09:13 PM
Banned

mine's really cold...
and it gets cold so quick even if it's 90 degrees outside...
Old 05-12-2004, 09:19 PM

Mine is also ice cold and can change your hair style if you turn it up too low

I agree with the others in bringing it in to the service dept. and let them have a look. Worst case scenario is you not working it properly and them showing you how to work it. No matter what happens it'll still be win/win because you'll have true ac. To use my ac I just set the climate to about 70 and hit the auto button next to the drivers side climate control.
Old 05-13-2004, 03:41 AM

I can make my car so cold you can hang meat
Old 05-13-2004, 07:33 AM
DiRtY ThIrTy

mine gets very cold also...sometimesi have to put it up to 80 for it to be just cool...

Old 05-13-2004, 08:50 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

FFFFFFFFFRRRREEEZINGGGGG!~!!!! The system works great and desnt really take away from the cars performance at all!!
Old 05-13-2004, 10:06 AM
Moderator GT-R

Mine will get so cold my nipples will cut glass. Any colder and I'd have to sit down to pee.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:27 AM

[QUOTE=bluemaxx]Mine will get so cold my nipples will cut glass.QUOTE]

Same with my car, I wonder if the ladies did this "special feature"
Old 05-13-2004, 10:41 AM

Mine will freeze your marracas off. The only "gripe" I have about it is you have to set the Auto temp up to 78 degrees or higher to get it to stay at a comfortable temperature, whereas my other cars are comfortable at 70 or 72. Setting the Max to 70 will eventually make my fingernails hurt and turn metal brittle.

Mike
Old 05-13-2004, 11:23 AM

If you have the 'ECON' setting on, the air conditioned air will be mixed with outside air, which will keep the inside air from getting as cold. Make absolutely certain you don't have the 'ECON' set on.

With an 11 month old car, the AC will not be needing recharging unless there is a significant refrigerant leak. Should that be the case, DEMAND that the leak be fixed, otherwise you will be paying for annual recharges every spring after the warranty expires.

Since your AC has seemed weak from day one, I don't think a leak is the problem. If your ECON is not on, there must be something wrong. As others said here, you should be able to freeze meat with the Maxima AC.

All components of the AC system are under full warranty for three years.
Old 05-13-2004, 12:42 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I agree, my ac is supreme, its a meat locker in a minute.
Old 05-13-2004, 01:16 PM
Moderator GT-R

Originally Posted by Chris_RI
I agree, my ac is supreme, its a meat locker in a minute.
Brass monkeys fear Maxima.
Old 06-27-2008, 04:52 PM

I recently bought my Maxima used... and i seem to have the same problem. It's definitely not as cold as its supposed to be. The car is an 06 so should the warranty still be in effect?
Old 06-27-2008, 05:47 PM

Just wanted to get to you before the others flame you for digging up a 4 year old post... But good use of the search button.

More than likely it sounds like the lower side A/C hose... I should know I just shelled out $430.00 to my ( Insert curse word ) dealership today =(

Just take it in and go from there and see what options are avaliable to you... Good luck.
Old 06-27-2008, 05:54 PM

DAMN!
Thanks for the help though.
Old 06-28-2008, 01:47 PM

Okay guys, we get the point! All of your A/C's work well enough to put the amazon rain forest in a total freeze. However, I have an 06 and my A/C doesn't blow cold as well, last summer it was just fine. The Dealership told me a was really low on freon. So, I'm thinking I just need a recharge. What do you all think?
Old 06-28-2008, 02:36 PM
MAXIN' ON

Originally Posted by aogburn
Okay guys, we get the point! All of your A/C's work well enough to put the amazon rain forest in a total freeze. However, I have an 06 and my A/C doesn't blow cold as well, last summer it was just fine. The Dealership told me a was really low on freon. So, I'm thinking I just need a recharge. What do you all think?
I thought the ac system was a closed circuit. Meaning you shouldnt be low on freon unless you have a leak. Make sure they check for a leak as to not waste time and freon.
Old 06-28-2008, 03:53 PM
SuPeRmOd

if your coolant is good and in-cabin filter not super dirty, then have the dealer check it under warranty.
Old 06-29-2008, 07:08 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by aogburn
Originally Posted by redls1
I thought the ac system was a closed circuit. Meaning you shouldnt be low on freon unless you have a leak. Make sure they check for a leak as to not waste time and freon.
Bingo. Redls1 has it right. I've had my lower A/C hose replaced twice. It can be expensive, ($430 sounds a little high though) so if you are under warranty, I'd push to have them check for leaks too. My car was less than 1yr old when it went out, they tried to tell me I used up all my freon and needed a recharge
Old 06-29-2008, 08:01 PM

yeah i've replaced a few low side hoses including my own already and have seen many others with the issue as well. check for dirt and a green film, which is the dye in the refrigerant around the hose.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:57 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

its amazing the things dealers will try and get away with
Old 07-01-2008, 06:45 PM

i had to replace the schraeder valve, refill ester oil, and add 20oz of Freon to it. firestone ran me $240.04 for all the parts and labor.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thought my a/c compressor was failing, but it turned out that BOTH radiator fans had failed, and the car was overheating. There is no idiot light for overheating, just the guage, so if your a/c is not working while the car is at idle make sure the radiator fans are running.

Nissan service tech told me he is getting a good number of failing fan assemblies and overheated Maximas, Altimas and Muranos in the service bay, so heads up and spread the word about this.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:52 PM

It has been close to 100 here and it usually takes a while for mine to cool off but it does eventually.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I recently bought a used 2007 Maxima and my air blows plenty cold. It does not, however, blow very hard. Is that normal for a Maxima? I have to put the fan on high and only on the upper vents to feel much of anything.

Any ideas what the problem could be if it is one?

Thanks!
Old 03-13-2009, 08:46 AM
SuPeRmOd

my air doesn't come out fast either, but it gets warm or cool fairly quickly
Old 03-14-2009, 10:50 PM

upper hose crapped out on mine in dec

now lower leak

none under warranty

already spent 300 bones on the other repair

..yeah

very annoying
Old 03-16-2009, 04:58 PM

2 things that I almost guarantee I will never complain about is the a/c and heat of this car. Both will cause you to want to leave if turned to the limits.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 PM

My 04 blows cold and strong
Old 03-16-2009, 09:42 PM

I thought Air conditioning was a use it or lose it type of deal. I remember that when gas was skyrocketing I had my explorer at the time and didn't use my AC during the summer always windows down no matter how hot it was because it killed my mileage.

The following summer I had my AC checked when I got my oil changed and they just flushed out the system for me.. said there were no leaks but all the freon was gone.

Bought a recharge kit and 2x 12oz bottles of freon and recharged it. AC blew cold until the car died a year later. Hopefully it's just a simple recharge. I am not sure it's the same for maximas just sharing my little experience with AC.

Can someone post a picture of this AC hose? I want to check mine.. What to look for etc..

Also how easy is it to replace yourself?
Old 03-18-2009, 12:16 PM

in-cabin filter might not fix the temp, but the air flow will be way better. goodluck
Old 04-21-2009, 01:37 PM
Big Drew

Is recharging your AC unit in a 6th gen difficult? I hear its like $50 to get it done but I dont know if its just worth it or if I should do it myself. Its getting in the 100's out here and my friggin AC isn't blowing cold air!!!!

280lb guy + 100 heat = sweaty fat guy...
Old 06-24-2009, 01:54 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Has anyone replaced an expansion valve for the a/c? I had a local shop fix my a/c system, and was told by the shop that they would have to take apart the dash to get at the expansion valve, which would take about 7 hours alone. I took it in in the morning, they called at the end of the day, about 8 hours later that it was done. This was surprising since they were replacing the compressor, receiver/dryer, expansion valve, etc. They said at first it would take 2-3 days.
I get my car back, expecting finger prints and such along the dash, but didn't see a thing. All the original dust was still there untouched. So I am thinking that maybe they didn't even touch the expansion valve, and replaced only the compressor.
My question is that if you have done or seen an expansion valve get replaced, would it be noticeable that you did such a thing by looking around at the dash? I now have a/c but the cabin is not even getting cool in this hot weather. I am better off opening the windows.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 AM

Check for Green or a dirty looking low pressure hose(leaking).... Thats whats wrong with mine... Im still boycotting that $400 repair cost. i recharged the system myself with the refrigerant that has the leak sealant in it.... my ac has been blowing cold for 3 mths now(knock on wood)....
Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Deez I30t
Has anyone replaced an expansion valve for the a/c? I had a local shop fix my a/c system, and was told by the shop that they would have to take apart the dash to get at the expansion valve, which would take about 7 hours alone. I took it in in the morning, they called at the end of the day, about 8 hours later that it was done. This was surprising since they were replacing the compressor, receiver/dryer, expansion valve, etc. They said at first it would take 2-3 days.
I get my car back, expecting finger prints and such along the dash, but didn't see a thing. All the original dust was still there untouched. So I am thinking that maybe they didn't even touch the expansion valve, and replaced only the compressor.
My question is that if you have done or seen an expansion valve get replaced, would it be noticeable that you did such a thing by looking around at the dash? I now have a/c but the cabin is not even getting cool in this hot weather. I am better off opening the windows.

Never heard of the "expansion valve". Our A/C systems are notorious for leaking hoses. My tech says my compressor is starting to go. It works fine now so I'm still using it. I would take you concerns back to where you had it worked on an tell them you want if fixed right. Bottom line, it's still not working after all they have done. Did this come out of your pocket?
Old 06-25-2009, 01:08 PM

isn't the expansion valve the same thing as a evaparator?
Old 06-26-2009, 07:35 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

According to my readings, the expansion valve is a part of some a/c systems, whether it be for a car, home, or refrigerator. It's kinda like a thermostat for the coolant; instead it's for the freon. The expansion valve is most likely connected to the evaporator. The evaporator is what the fans pull the cool air from and into the car.

I actually took it back twice. The second time, the mechanic told me that it was the best he can do considering he vacuumed the freon out twice and reloaded brand new freon in each time. He even tried to add more freon than needed, but he said that the freon got stuck in the system because there was too much. The compressor couldn't move the freon through the system because of this, so he vacuumed it out and reloaded. Checked for leaks and there was none.
I don't know, I'm beginning to think that he didn't change out a part, or one of the parts isn't working right.
Bought the car in Jan. so had no idea that it had no a/c. Damned the dealer.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Maxima Air Conditioner?