4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

how to force car to start with bad starter? tut for removal/location?

Old 02-07-2008, 10:42 AM

how to force car to start with bad starter? tut for removal/location?

I need to know if there's a way to manually start the car if my starter is bad. I'm pretty sure it is. Just need to know where it is, if there's a write up on it, and if i can start it somehow so i can take it home to fix (i've searched and read that whacking the starter might make it start.). Might have to do it in the parking lot. I've done one replacement before so I know it aint too bad unless it was like my celica. Thanks.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:44 AM

if manual, push start the car

Put car in ignition ( like putting key in when you have a remote starter)
Put car in neutral, start pushing it to give it a rolling start, once nice speed reached, jump into driver's seat, put the car in first gear and release the clutch..

that should work..

good luck
Old 02-07-2008, 10:49 AM

thanks. unfortunately it's a auto. hehe, i would've popped it if it was a manua too.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:55 AM

its not hard to replace just remove the entire upper air box, everything thing to the throttle body. then its sitting right there on top of the transmission, well towards the back a little bit.
there are two bolts holding it in and the bolt holding the positive cable on. then a connector for the ground.
you'll probably need a breaker bar to get the two bolts loose.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:59 AM
No more Maximas...

For removal, read the FAQs. http://www.motorvate.ca/mvp.php/516

For starting, put the key in ignition (KOEO), arc from the B+ to the starter motor lead with a screwdriver or something else. Unless the starter is absolutely dead, eventually it should crank up.

Will it not crank up at all, or what?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:13 AM

Pmohr way is probably the best way. Also you can hit the starter directly to see if that helps. Will not work though if your starter is completely gone...
Old 02-07-2008, 11:33 AM

doh! didn't know it was auto :S
Old 02-07-2008, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by pmohr
For starting, put the key in ignition (KOEO), arc from the B+ to the starter motor lead with a screwdriver or something else. Unless the starter is absolutely dead, eventually it should crank up.
Does that apply to autos too? Can you crarify that?
Old 02-07-2008, 11:48 AM

It's so easy to change the starter on a maxima. Don't pay, do it yourself.
Old 02-07-2008, 12:31 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by Qbridg3
Does that apply to autos too? Can you crarify that?
Applies with vehicles with both auto and manual trans. Short it out manually and unless it's totally shot, eventually it will work. I've never had a starter that it didn't work on with just the first try, myself.
Old 02-07-2008, 01:12 PM
97' SE 5spd.

^^+1 Definetly will work its how i started my car for a month wile i was working out my cold start problem.
Old 02-07-2008, 02:20 PM

can you clarify exactly how that is done with a screwdriver? i thought the positive lead of the starter already goes to the positive terminal on the battery. Or maybe I'm thinking wrong...
Old 02-07-2008, 02:28 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by maximus_96
can you clarify exactly how that is done with a screwdriver? i thought the positive lead of the starter already goes to the positive terminal on the battery. Or maybe I'm thinking wrong...
The positive lead on the solenoid does indeed have B+ already going to it. You arc from that to the starter motor lead with a metal object.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:26 PM
97' SE 5spd.

the batery goes to the solenoied via the thick black w/ red stripe wire. The starting circuit is activated bye the thin 12 awg wire just tuch them together jumping out the entire circuit. Just make sure the key is in the start position. There might be a spark but its cool and wont hurt. I had to run a wire from the batery and from the prong on the solenoid. I did this so i can start the car from inside instead of freeze my *** off

Last edited by dblock1; 02-08-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:55 AM

thanks guys. i got it started by whacking a metal rod on the starter. hehe. then took the air duct. the pain in the butt were the connectors, so hard to remove. then had to get a 18 inch rachet because i couldnt get the large bolt off.

car starts fine now with new starter although there is a whoose noise that i never had with my old one. i figure as long as it starts, it's okay. my starter was the 8 teeth one not the 10 teeth one.

thanks for all the info everyone. glad this forum is so close.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:33 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

I'm looking at replacing my starter too ('96 I-30). Is their a diagram of the arc process to get the car started? Or can you spell it out a bit more for a newbie? How do I "arc" from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter motor lead? And where is the lead located? I know my screwdriver is not long enough to connect from the starter to the battery so I'm not sure what to do?

Also, what's a "breaker bar"?

btw, anyone know what you have to do to get thread starter permissions? I can reply to existing posts but can't create new ones. I've clicked the activation email obviously...

Last edited by infinitiScott; 05-28-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by infinitiScott
I'm looking at replacing my starter too ('96 I-30). Is their a diagram of the arc process to get the car started? Or can you spell it out a bit more for a newbie? How do I "arc" from the positive terminal of the battery to the starter motor lead? And where is the lead located? I know my screwdriver is not long enough to connect from the starter to the battery so I'm not sure what to do?

Also, what's a "breaker bar"?

btw, anyone know what you have to do to get thread starter permissions? I can reply to existing posts but can't create new ones. I've clicked the activation email obviously...
u have to have 15 posts to e ablr to start a thread. and i believe u arc the two terminals on the starter with a screwdriver. two arc from the batt u would have to get a length of wire to the starter motor lead from the batt.
Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 PM

A breaker bar is basically just a long lever arm, to provide enough leverage to "break" the bolt (figuratively, not literally). I have a metal bar about 18" long, with a 3/8" socket swivel head. Put a socket extension on that, and it'll get just about anything off. IIRC, I just needed a full sized ratchet to get the bolts off. If you put the ratchet wrench on pointing towards the firewall and pull it towards the front of the car, you can get the best leverage.
Old 05-28-2008, 07:03 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Update: I did the job today after work (car was parked in my office parking lot before it quit). I was short a 10mm socket (for all the air box/breather bolts) and couldn't get the 17mm long bolt to turn. The guy parked next to me came out of the office and asked if he could help. Turns out he had exactly the tools i needed to finish the job (a 10mm socket and a larger socket wrench). For torque on the long bolt, he ingeniously suggested slipping the hole end of a large wrench over the socket handle. It gave me just enough leverage to turn the long bolt. Everything else went smooth after that.

The key was removing all of the breather box components. Car started like a charm. Great, great feeling of accomplishment. Especially thinking about the money I saved. Now I have a lifetime warrantied starter. I'll never have to buy another one!

Thanks for this forum!!!