Fluids and Lubricants Motor oil, transmission oil, radiator fluid, power steering fluid, blinker fluid... wait, there is no blinker fluid. Technical discussion and analysis of the different lubricants we use in our cars.

Synthetic Oil?

Old 12-08-2007, 08:46 PM

Synthetic Oil?

I have been debating switching to Syn Oil. I have an 04 SE w/ 21,000 do you guys think it would be beneficial? I heard Amsoil and Mobil1 are the top brands?
Old 12-08-2007, 08:48 PM

I just put Amsoil 100% Synthetic in today for the first time at 57k miles.
Old 12-08-2007, 09:06 PM

I put Mobil1 in at 73,500miles after its whole life of having *shudder* Valvoline and Havoline.

Old 12-08-2007, 10:46 PM

i use m1 10w30syn with a m1-105 filter! change every ~5k
Old 12-08-2007, 10:48 PM

I use Penzoil Super Synthetic when I get my oil changed.
Old 12-09-2007, 05:24 AM

Originally Posted by pilotguy18
I have been debating switching to Syn Oil. I have an 04 SE w/ 21,000 do you guys think it would be beneficial? I heard Amsoil and Mobil1 are the top brands?
YES I have always run synthetic, in all of the Mazda's I have owned and now the Maxima. They are required for high output engines!!! They cut down on the friction and wear and tear of moving parts in the engine. This in turn will take stress off you entire ignition system because the car will turn over much more quicker in the winter and summer months when your ignition system is at it weakest. More importantly they do a great job of reducing the heat of the engine. For this latter fact, everyone should be running synthetic!!!! Case in point, I kept on cooking my ignitions coils in the Mazda Millenia S because of the heat getting to high in the engine bay. This was not cool considering the dealership (up here in Canada) wanted $315 for one ignition coil. One of my bros, who races motors cycles, recommended the switch to synthetic to try and reduce the heat and it worked. I never cooked another ignition coil. The other pros with less heat is that it cuts down on oil burn off, slugging and varnish sentiments, which all help the engine to run at its original specs. Also. once Nissan comes up with a synthetic oil they approve of for the CVT trans, then I will be throwing that in transmission as well.

Unless you do it yourself, have it done at Wal-Mart Lube Center. It is the cheapest around. Go in and buy the oil/filter out right and then go to the Lub center and pay your $15 to have the oil changed. You can't beat it.

I run Mobile 1 right now. If I had my Maxima all tuned up for power/speed, then I would go with Amsoil or Royal Purple. But for normal day to day stuff Mobile 1 will be fine and most likely the cheapest of the good synthetic oils at Wal-Mart.
Old 12-09-2007, 06:04 AM

I run Mobile 1. No issues.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:27 PM

i run Quaker St. Full synthetic, car runs so much better now.
Old 12-09-2007, 01:28 PM
i SeE what you did therE

AMSOIL....ftw
Old 12-09-2007, 02:07 PM

I also run Mobil 1 synthetic and Mobil 1 extended performance filter..change every 5-6 K miles. most high performance cars require synthetic, and technically the VQ is considered a high performance engine (right?)..but the Japanese cars are known for low maintenance costs that could be a reason why Nissan doesn't require synthetic oil or premium fuel (although Nissan RECOMMENDS premium fuel)
Old 12-11-2007, 09:15 AM

Do yourself a favor next time you need an oil change and phone your local Esso bulk plant and see if they have any Esso XD3 0w30, PAO full synthetic oil, in stock. If not, order a case. It is far superior to Mobil 1 based on all the UOAs I have seen posted on BITOG and only costs Cdn$4.99/litre plus tax.

This oil is not available in the US, but a lot of BITOGers go out of their way to access some and deep six the Mobil 1 which shears down much quicker.

Originally Posted by Terrentius
YES I have always run synthetic, in all of the Mazda's I have owned and now the Maxima. They are required for high output engines!!! They cut down on the friction and wear and tear of moving parts in the engine. This in turn will take stress off you entire ignition system because the car will turn over much more quicker in the winter and summer months when your ignition system is at it weakest. More importantly they do a great job of reducing the heat of the engine. For this latter fact, everyone should be running synthetic!!!! Case in point, I kept on cooking my ignitions coils in the Mazda Millenia S because of the heat getting to high in the engine bay. This was not cool considering the dealership (up here in Canada) wanted $315 for one ignition coil. One of my bros, who races motors cycles, recommended the switch to synthetic to try and reduce the heat and it worked. I never cooked another ignition coil. The other pros with less heat is that it cuts down on oil burn off, slugging and varnish sentiments, which all help the engine to run at its original specs. Also. once Nissan comes up with a synthetic oil they approve of for the CVT trans, then I will be throwing that in transmission as well.

Unless you do it yourself, have it done at Wal-Mart Lube Center. It is the cheapest around. Go in and buy the oil/filter out right and then go to the Lub center and pay your $15 to have the oil changed. You can't beat it.

I run Mobile 1 right now. If I had my Maxima all tuned up for power/speed, then I would go with Amsoil or Royal Purple. But for normal day to day stuff Mobile 1 will be fine and most likely the cheapest of the good synthetic oils at Wal-Mart.
Old 12-11-2007, 11:46 PM

Bobo is right.

After Mobil lost a court case it had against Castrol about what was required for an oil to be legally called "Synthetic," it joined Castrol in going to cheaper so-called synthetic stocks. I still have some old Mobil 1 (before the change), but will be going to Amsoil when I run out of this stuff. Amsoil has not cheapened its synthetic motor oil like Mobil did.
Old 12-12-2007, 12:21 AM

Synthetic is a good call. Not a fan of Royal Purple. Usually run Mobil 1, but the other majors are fine -- go with a full synthetic, not a blend.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by SilverMax_04
After Mobil lost a court case it had against Castrol...
NOT a court case. It was the "self regulating" arm of the BBB, the National Advertising Review Council, that made the ruling.
Old 12-13-2007, 02:52 PM
Old enuf to pick his own gears

Amsoil > Mobil 1, definitely.

Amsoil's 5w-30 and 0w-30 are probably the two best oils you can get for the Maxima. Use one of them with an Amsoil EaO filter and you won't have to change your oil for over 10,000 miles unless you beat the crap out of your car or do nothing but city driving.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by d00df00d

Amsoil's 5w-30 and 0w-30 are probably the two best oils you can get for the Maxima. Use one of them with an Amsoil EaO filter and you won't have to change your oil for over 10,000 miles unless you beat the crap out of your car or do nothing but city driving.
I agree, with one additional exception -- extensive driving on dusty roads will require a shorter OCI than 10 K miles -- suggest 5 K miles for those harsh driving conditions
Old 12-15-2007, 06:23 AM

If time were a consideration for a low annual mileage driver like me, how long would you restrict the OCI to?

I am sending in a sample of my Esso XD3 to Blackstone for the 1st time.

The OCI will be 1 year and the mileage might be slightly under 5,000 miles at the rate I am going.

Would you extend the Amsoil oil beyond 12 months?

The vehicle in question sees mainly highway driving and is seldom driven less than 6 miles at a time in the suburbs where I live (when not on the highway).

Last edited by Bobo; 12-15-2007 at 06:26 AM.
Old 12-15-2007, 07:59 AM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Bobo
If time were a consideration for a low annual mileage driver like me, how long would you restrict the OCI to?

I am sending in a sample of my Esso XD3 to Blackstone for the 1st time.

The OCI will be 1 year and the mileage might be slightly under 5,000 miles at the rate I am going.

Would you extend the Amsoil oil beyond 12 months?

The vehicle in question sees mainly highway driving and is seldom driven less than 6 miles at a time in the suburbs where I live (when not on the highway).

AMSOIL typically provides a mileage/time recommendation: e.g. "up to 25,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first" under normal service (personal vehicles frequently traveling greater than 10 miles (16 km) at a time and not operating under severe service). The previous Series 2000 (now Signature Series) 0w-30 is recommended for up to 35,000 miles or 1 year, whichever comes first, and under normal service conditions. The XL oils are recommended for the full duration of the OEM's service recommendation (typically 7500 miles).

Those recommendations assume the engine has not been modded (use of performance computer chips; non-OEM approved exhaust, fuel or air induction systems; and the use of fuels other than those recommended for normal operation by the OEM) and is in otherwise good operating/mechanical condition (e.g, do not leak oil or consume excessive amounts, are not worn out, do not overheat, do not leak anti-freeze and have properly working emission control systems).

Recommendations for Severe Service conditions are up to 15,000 miles or 1-year. AMSOIL Ea oil filters are also designed and recommended for the full duration of the OCI (up to a year) and should be changed along with the oil.

Concerning your question on whether or not one can extend the OCI beyond AMSOIL's 1-year recommendation: it can be done, but that decision should be determined/supported by oil analysis. And if you use a conventional paper/cellulose filter, I would be concerned about the resins in the paper filtering medium breaking down and compromising the filter. So if one is going to use AMSOIL for extended drains, it is recommended they use the Ea filter to maximize the benefit.

On one of my previous vehicles, I installed a by-pass filter and ran AMSOIL for over 3-years/36,000 miles with just annual filter changes. I had an oil analysis performed annually and the results were always encouraging. The only reason i changed the oil when I did is because I got carried away with a can of carburetor cleaner and thought I may have perhaps contaminated the oil with it...so I drained the oil to be safe rather than sorry. When I sold the car (10 year old), the engine ran perfectly with no leaks, no seepage and no visible sludge or other deposits.
Old 12-15-2007, 09:33 AM

Thanks, talkinghorse.

I am currently using a Nissan OEM filter.

I am interested in seeing what Blackstone says, particularly given that I use a K&N panel filter and some experience elevalated silica levels with them.

I have a Budget y-pipe which is considered a non-OEM exhaust component.

I don't understand how that could affect my oil analysis. It may affect emissions results because it removes a pre-cat.
Old 12-15-2007, 06:45 PM
Maxima.org Sponsor and Donating Maxima.org Member

Thanks, talkinghorse.

I am currently using a Nissan OEM filter.

I am interested in seeing what Blackstone says, particularly given that I use a K&N panel filter and some experience elevalated silica levels with them.

I have a Budget y-pipe which is considered a non-OEM exhaust component.

I don't understand how that could affect my oil analysis. It may affect emissions results because it removes a pre-cat.
I'm not sure about the impact of the exhaust mod, unless they are guarding against potential alterations to emission control devices (such as O2 sensors) that are incorporated into the exhaust system. Of course those devices help regulate fuel mixture which could result in premature oil contamination if they are malfunctioning, by-passed or somehow altered.

I have several customers who use AMSOIL in their engines for a full year before changing, but an oil analysis would be smart if one were to push it beyond AMSOIL's recommendation.
Old 12-26-2007, 10:46 AM

is switching to synthetic with over 115k miles a good move or bad move? i'm hesitant because of the seals...
Old 12-26-2007, 03:53 PM

I used AutoRX prior to switching to synthetic oil, but I was at about 1/2 your mileage.

I would do two AutoRX runs at your mileage. This product will help rejuvenate your seals and clean your combustion chamber and ring packs, prior to the changeover.

See www.autorx.com

This product is highly thought of on BITOG and is available only over the internet from the manufacturer.

Originally Posted by phatboislim
is switching to synthetic with over 115k miles a good move or bad move? i'm hesitant because of the seals...
Old 12-27-2007, 05:22 AM

how do i order off that site?? seems 'locked' for lack of better words
Old 12-27-2007, 03:59 PM

I haven't looked at the site lately. Is there a phone number so you can talk to a live warm body.

If not and you can't get through, wait until the New Year.

Originally Posted by phatboislim
how do i order off that site?? seems 'locked' for lack of better words
Old 12-28-2007, 05:35 AM

ok thanks
Old 12-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
I just put Amsoil 100% Synthetic in today for the first time at 57k miles.
I just did it 1st time at 54k miles. I switched to Quaker Synthetic, so far so good. No issues.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:47 AM

Not to berate Quaker Synthetic, but what would motivate you to use that oil?

I don't recall it being even mentioned on this board.

Originally Posted by SuperMario
I just did it 1st time at 54k miles. I switched to Quaker Synthetic, so far so good. No issues.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:06 AM

Quaker State is a SOPUS brand. Most of their synthetics nowadays are related to (or rebrands of) Shell Helix Ultra oils, which are no joke.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:34 PM

Not to berate Quaker Synthetic, but what would motivate you to use that oil?

I don't recall it being even mentioned on this board.
I hate to admit it, but Ferrari won't allow to put their name on just any brand. They really do their work before letting anyone use theirs. There's got to be a very good reason for this; I smell Ferrari R&D, top notch worldwide.

That and the cheaper price than Mobil1 was my motivation
Old 01-03-2008, 09:05 PM

Ferrari and Shell are close parners. Shell's US arm, SOPUS, owns Quaker State. The Quaker State oil that says "Ferrari" on it is really the Shell oil that Ferrari Uses.
Old 01-04-2008, 05:49 PM

Ferrari and Shell are close parners. Shell's US arm, SOPUS, owns Quaker State. The Quaker State oil that says "Ferrari" on it is really the Shell oil that Ferrari Uses.
Yeah, I know about the Ferrari-Shell partnership, I have watched F1 for many years and they are actually very good partners. (FYI, I don't like Ferrari F1 mgmt nor the team, but man, they're good).

I didn't know about Shell-Quaker State partnership, but again, it's cheaper than Mobil1 and obviously now I know it's a Shell product, so it has to be good, not just average or worse.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:20 PM

i think the OP cannot find his own thread, hence the reason he has not responded to any of these posts yet.