4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Wierd TPS and transmission problems please help

Old 11-12-2007, 04:23 PM

Wierd TPS and transmission problems please help

Hi everyone,
I've been having problems with my car lately. Few weeks ago my check engine light came on. I'm like wtf, checked the code and it was TPS(throttle position sensor). I checked the TPS with an ohmmeter by following the steps on haynes manual and the readings were within the spec(500 ohm closed and 4k ohm on WOT). I just cleared the code and didn't bother to get it checked since it was running as usual. After few days check engine light came on again and it showed different code-which was A/T fourth gear signal fault. Right now my transmission acting wierd and only first and third gears are working(I have an auto). I also checked code from transmission Control module with OD light blinking and it decoded as TPS. My MPG as gone down from 24 to 19.5 cause engine is in the 3K+ RPM range on the highway.
Right now I don't know what to do- should I just go ahead and change TPS?
OR is it something else? Please help cause I can't afford to waste money on unnecessary things anymore
Old 11-12-2007, 04:32 PM

Yes please change your TPS, same EXACT ish happened to me, I waited it off until the tranny started slipping. You don't want that. DO IT ASAP!
Old 11-12-2007, 04:45 PM
No more Maximas...

Originally Posted by nick_auto96
Hi everyone,
I've been having problems with my car lately. Few weeks ago my check engine light came on. I'm like wtf, checked the code and it was TPS(throttle position sensor). I checked the TPS with an ohmmeter by following the steps on haynes manual and the readings were within the spec(500 ohm closed and 4k ohm on WOT). I just cleared the code and didn't bother to get it checked since it was running as usual. After few days check engine light came on again and it showed different code-which was A/T fourth gear signal fault. Right now my transmission acting wierd and only first and third gears are working(I have an auto). I also checked code from transmission Control module with OD light blinking and it decoded as TPS. My MPG as gone down from 24 to 19.5 cause engine is in the 3K+ RPM range on the highway.
Right now I don't know what to do- should I just go ahead and change TPS?
OR is it something else? Please help cause I can't afford to waste money on unnecessary things anymore
The whole 4th gear thing is a sign of doom, basically. Got that on my last two transaxles right before they became inoperable. Change out the TPS as a first measure.

Are you still on the original solenoids? Nissan released a TSB about them and an updated set, could cause trans damage.

My first three transaxles were brought down by bad solenoids (or previous abuse. who knows. I know the lastone was bad solenoids). It caused the trans to slip until the friction material literally wore completely off of the clutch plate, and welded it to the steel plate (I have pics if anyone is interested, still have the plates sitting here).

If you're still on the originals, it's worth the ~$150 for piece of mind to change them out.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:07 PM

Thanks a lot everyone, I'll be ordering TPS tomorrow. I hope that it will solve the problem. I'll update this thread when I install new TPS
Old 11-12-2007, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by nick_auto96
Thanks a lot everyone, I'll be ordering TPS tomorrow. I hope that it will solve the problem. I'll update this thread when I install new TPS
Be careful installing it, the screws are REALLY hard to get out and most likely they will get stripped. You also have to put it in a certain way or it will not work correctly. To be safe I went to a shop that put it in for $34.
Old 11-12-2007, 07:34 PM

how come on my old max (a 95 gxe) the tps had only one wire connector but on my new max (a 96 SE) it has two?
Old 11-12-2007, 08:14 PM

oops too late

Originally Posted by 99grnmaxgxe
Be careful installing it, the screws are REALLY hard to get out and most likely they will get stripped. You also have to put it in a certain way or it will not work correctly. To be safe I went to a shop that put it in for $34.
I already stripped the one of the screws so I'm screwed now.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:16 PM

Originally Posted by black_maxed95
how come on my old max (a 95 gxe) the tps had only one wire connector but on my new max (a 96 SE) it has two?
I think they upgraded TPS. The old one didn't had the seperate WOT connector and newer versions did.
Old 11-12-2007, 08:52 PM

thanks, i was just wondering this as i was working on my intake/throttle body today on my new car
Old 11-14-2007, 04:50 PM

Make sure you tweak the setting on the TPS once you install it. The FSM shows how to do this procedure. The only tool you'll need is an ohmmeter and screw driver. You need to set it so the switch side of the TPS so the car knows when you are at idle (actually, the FSM says 800 RPM). If it's way out of adjustment, you won't be able to reset you codes in the AT controller, and the car might not drive as well as it should. It seemed to make a big difference when I adjusted my new TPS.