6th Generation Maxima (2004-2008) Discussion of the 6th generation Maxima. Come see what others are saying.

SAFC installation & Dyno Tuning

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 10:48 AM

SAFC installation & Dyno Tuning

Hey guys, I found a local place that is willing to install an Apexi Neo for me and then dyno tune the max. Here are the price quotes I got. Bear in mind it's hard around these parts to find places to do this, could only find 2 even remotely near the Atlanta area. Anyways, wanted your thoughts on if these seem like decent quotes. Doesn't sound too bad to me to be honest.

"I can install and tune the SAFC. The installation labor is approx $200.00. DYno tuning is $175.00 + $50.00 for installing the wideband monitor system (req'd for tuning)."

http://www.engineered.net/
Old 10-28-2007, 11:13 AM

My local shop wanted $140 to install it and about $150 to tune. So around $300 total...
Old 10-28-2007, 11:48 AM

Mack make sure you get the harness extension if you dont want your shop to splice into your factory wiring. Also you could save some money on the install if you spliced the wires into the harness extension yourself then had them tune it. There are wiring diagrams on this site to help you. Here is one site that sell the harness extention it's for a 350Z but since our ECU connections are the same it will work.

http://www.autosportwiring.com/nissan.htm
Old 10-28-2007, 12:26 PM

Thanks Shawn but damn $300 for the harness extension? I've also searched for wiring diagrams but haven't seen anything really solid. Otherwise I'd consider it myself. Hilbe looks like you got a pretty good deal. Keep the info coming guys, much appreciated!
Old 10-28-2007, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by Mack
Thanks Shawn but damn $300 for the harness extension? I've also searched for wiring diagrams but haven't seen anything really solid. Otherwise I'd consider it myself. Hilbe looks like you got a pretty good deal. Keep the info coming guys, much appreciated!

Yeah I know boomslang has a harness as well $50 cheaper. I am probably going to get one from them and it helps too because they are local.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:37 PM
dot dot dot ...

That's an **** raping. Install yourself and find a shop that only charges 90$/hour(common rate). That's what I did.

FSM = www.vq35de.com/ESM

Also, it's NEO not SAFC.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:57 PM

According to this site it's the SAFC Neo. http://www.alamomotorsports.com/apexi/safc.html#safcneo

I just dont' think I'll feel comfortable installing this thing. Unless someone could produce some step-by-step directions.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:00 PM
dot dot dot ...

There are step by step instructions all over the place. Check the AM forum. That site is sort funny. SAFC =/ VAFC .
Old 10-28-2007, 01:01 PM

I thought the Neo didn't get us (non-Honda owners) anything over the SAFCII, so why spend the extra cash on a Neo. You can get one used on the classified section of the forum for dirt cheap...
Old 10-28-2007, 01:01 PM
dot dot dot ...

It gets you 4 more tuning points.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Hilbe
I thought the Neo didn't get us (non-Honda owners) anything over the SAFCII, so why spend the extra cash on a Neo. You can get one used on the classified section of the forum for dirt cheap...
All the other units are no longer in production. The NEO is it for Apexi. And I've searched everywhere. I don't see step-by-step instructions anywhere.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:13 PM

I won't invest in a SAFC until I hit a CEL or SES light...
Old 10-28-2007, 02:46 PM

Has anyone successfully installed a NEO in a 6th gen. All attempts have failed as far as I one. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by shawndon
Has anyone successfully installed a NEO in a 6th gen. All attempts have failed as far as I one. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Damn! Now THAT I hadn't heard.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:47 PM
The original VQ...

That doesnt make sence, from what Ive read its almost the same thing as the safc, and plenty of ppl have the safc or vafc...
Old 10-28-2007, 04:50 PM
MAXIN' ON

Is the wiring the same from the 06-07? Havent gone through the manual and called boomslang to see if then had a harness and they didnt even know if it was the same wiring. They said send them a diamgram of both and they would make one if needed.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:54 PM
i SeE what you did therE

i will have to go up there and see if the guy give me the same price.... see what he says....
Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by maxspeed96CT
That doesnt make sence, from what Ive read its almost the same thing as the safc, and plenty of ppl have the safc or vafc...
There was some guy on here "briancopeland" was his name and he tried a NEO and couldn't rev past 3K from what I remember. I dont understand it either it could be that since it combines the safc/vafc functions that there is some additiona wires or that who ever tried to hook it up had no clue. Ramberg also posted something about the NEO not working in a 6th gen which is why he ended up with the SAFC 2.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by redls1
Is the wiring the same from the 06-07? Havent gone through the manual and called boomslang to see if then had a harness and they didnt even know if it was the same wiring. They said send them a diamgram of both and they would make one if needed.

That's just like some of us wanting to use the 350Z UTEC the pinout is the same. I also know that when RHMax was waitting for his ECU to be cracked for the TS flash that he had a G35 ECU in his car. I think it threw a code or something but the car ran. If he sees this he could elaborate.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:09 PM
Newbie just Registered

That's just like some of us wanting to use the 350Z UTEC the pinout is the same. I also know that when RHMax was waitting for his ECU to be cracked for the TS flash that he had a G35 ECU in his car. I think it threw a code or something but the car ran. If he sees this he could elaborate.

G35 ECU never threw a code in my car, but CC didn't work and shifting lag because different trany. Deus had a 350Z ECU in his car for a while too.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
G35 ECU never threw a code in my car, but CC didn't work and shifting lag because different trany. Deus had a 350Z ECU in his car for a while too.

Glad you cleared that up I couldn't remember exactly. So the boomslang harness or any other 350Z harness should work right??
Old 10-28-2007, 05:26 PM
Newbie just Registered

Glad you cleared that up I couldn't remember exactly. So the boomslang harness or any other 350Z harness should work right??
They should, same ECU boxes, just different programs/parameters.

And I don't see why NEO won't work. Nmex, any 5.5 gens using NEO?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by RHMax
They should, same ECU boxes, just different programs/parameters.

And I don't see why NEO won't work. Nmex, any 5.5 gens using NEO?
I know there are a few 02+ altima guys using the NEO with no problems.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:53 PM
dot dot dot ...

If you install it correctly, it will work. All you need is an FSM and the rest is up to you. DL the FSM, get the ECU pinout, follow the instructions in the manual, and you're done.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:54 PM
i SeE what you did therE

I know there are a few 02+ altima guys using the NEO with no problems.

Old 10-28-2007, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by NmexMAX
If you install it correctly, it will work. All you need is an FSM and the rest is up to you. DL the FSM, get the ECU pinout, follow the instructions in the manual, and you're done.

Here is a good link to the 6th FSM. The ECU pinout is located in the icon marked "EC" and it starts on page 107 of the pdf file. Use the second set of links as the first set does not work when you go to download.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...e-manuals.html
Old 10-28-2007, 07:33 PM
MAXIN' ON

I just bought some data logging software to hook to my laptop. Does anyone have info on short term/ long term fuel values? As in where they are suppose to be etc..When logging so obvious things are maf,ect,timing,rpm,temp,iat. Whats are important things to log? I want to compare my car to my wifes stock.
Old 10-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Short & Long term, as close to zero is ideal, but it's kinda a moot point.

Maf, timing, and a/f (from your ??? WB ???) - relative to rpm @ WOT
Old 10-29-2007, 04:00 AM
GrandPa

As far as I know from some members on the 6th gen forum the neo does not work. Thats why I installed the SAFCII.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:05 AM
GrandPa

[QUOTE=Mack;6034577]

Mack come to Brooklyn, NY. If you happen to exchange the NEO for the SAFCII which I know works. I have a friend who will install it for 50 dollars, He has done a few 6th gens here in Brooklyn, NY. I also can get you tuned and dynoed for 150 dollars total. You can use that other money to have a good time. I will be taking the car in to get tuned and dynoed sometime this week.
Old 10-29-2007, 05:15 AM

That's damn temping Ramberg and I certainly appreciate the invite & info. I haven't purchased the Neo yet (thank goodness).
Old 10-29-2007, 07:07 AM

Mack, Call Todd at North Georgia Speed Shop. He does a few of my stuff and he has a dyno there as well. His number is 678-988-8240. It is in Woodstock and right next to my clinic. Tell him Daniel with the maxima reffered you.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:40 PM
dot dot dot ...

Unless you have actually attempted this yourself, I wouldn't go along stating that the NEO absolutely will not work.

SAFCII: 12 tuning points, 2 maps. This is good if you're going to use N2O (1 map for NA, the other for N2O). This piece has the ability to provide global MAF signal correction. This is helpful and makes it very easy when using a larger MAF housing.

VAFCII: 24 tuning points, when set-up this way.

http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=461576
http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=466165

Only has one map when set-up this way. Does not have global correction ability for our cars which is important when adding a larger MAF housing. Though there maybe an IN/OUT combination that we are not aware of taht would make it easier to use w/ a larger MAF housing, at the moment, it has not been proven to work as easily as the SAFCII. This is not to say it cannot make a larger MAF housing work. It can and will, but requires drastic corrections #'s and a WBO2 is absolutely mandatory when tuning.

NEO: 16 tuning points(As of right now). Though I have not worked with one, from what I've read, it should be just like the SAFCII, but with 16 points vs 12. This also brings up an important question: Can this unit be manipulated like the VAFCII so that the tuning points would be doubled? (32 vs 16.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:07 PM

Unless you have actually attempted this yourself, I wouldn't go along stating that the NEO absolutely will not work.

SAFCII: 12 tuning points, 2 maps. This is good if you're going to use N2O (1 map for NA, the other for N2O). This piece has the ability to provide global MAF signal correction. This is helpful and makes it very easy when using a larger MAF housing.

VAFCII: 24 tuning points, when set-up this way.

http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=461576
http://forums.maxima.org/oldthread.php?t=466165

Only has one map when set-up this way. Does not have global correction ability for our cars which is important when adding a larger MAF housing. Though there maybe an IN/OUT combination that we are not aware of taht would make it easier to use w/ a larger MAF housing, at the moment, it has not been proven to work as easily as the SAFCII. This is not to say it cannot make a larger MAF housing work. It can and will, but requires drastic corrections #'s and a WBO2 is absolutely mandatory when tuning.

NEO: 16 tuning points(As of right now). Though I have not worked with one, from what I've read, it should be just like the SAFCII, but with 16 points vs 12. This also brings up an important question: Can this unit be manipulated like the VAFCII so that the tuning points would be doubled? (32 vs 16.
NMex: Can you add the statistics of the UTEC here too. This is device that I am interested in and Im curious how it compares to these others. Also, Im not sure where the ultimate thread is regarding the MAF mod, but Im very interested in that if you can guide me to it.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:09 PM
i SeE what you did therE

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
NMex: Can you add the statistics of the UTEC here too. This is device that I am interested in and Im curious how it compares to these others. Also, Im not sure where the ultimate thread is regarding the MAF mod, but Im very interested in that if you can guide me to it.
let me do some research tonight on the altima forums and i will see what info i can dig up...
Old 10-29-2007, 01:28 PM

Great!! I think this is something we all need to seriously consider now that there are more mods available for the car, like intake manifolds, headers, turbos, etc.
Old 10-29-2007, 04:14 PM
dot dot dot ...

I actually don’t have the much experience with the UTEC, and my only point was to clear up some things with respect to the SAFC/VAFC/NEO.

If I were you, I would go to www.my350z.com for more technical information re: UTEC before I went to the Altima board, but that’s just me.

Here’s some good information re: MAF mod:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...42&postcount=2
Old 10-29-2007, 04:18 PM
i SeE what you did therE

I actually don’t have the much experience with the UTEC, and my only point was to clear up some things with respect to the SAFC/VAFC/NEO.

If I were you, I would go to www.my350z.com for more technical information before I went to the Altima board, but that’s just me.

Here’s some good information re: MAF mod:
http://forums.maxima.org/showpost.ph...42&postcount=2

i been scoping the altima threads..... we need to check the 350z

Old 10-29-2007, 11:16 PM

Here is a good link to the 6th FSM. The ECU pinout is located in the icon marked "EC" and it starts on page 107 of the pdf file. Use the second set of links as the first set does not work when you go to download.

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/200...e-manuals.html
Awesome link, thanks alot! TONS of great info.
Old 10-30-2007, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by DeusExMaxima
Cheapest place I found to buy the UTEC in a VERY extensive search was MRC Motorsports:

The UTEC allows you to maintain OBDII compliancy as well. The UTEC is unnoticeable to the OBD Scan process most states are adopting these days. In basic form we allow control over Fuel and Ignition Timing. Each control gives you 250 rpm resolution from 500 rpm to revlimit with over 10 different load sites. The UTEC will ship with pre-programmed base maps to help get you up and driving right away. In addition to having a pre-programmed base maps the UTEC has provisions for 5 different map locations. The multi-map capability allows you to use our remote map selector to switch between the 5 maps or stock mode on the fly. Your tuning options are endless when you can have a race map and daily driving map at the tip of your fingers. The power is all yours!
Pricing is for standard Naturally aspirated UTEC. For forced induction see additional options.
Shipping date is mid November

Price: $799.00

Quick Reply: SAFC installation & Dyno Tuning