5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Use the VPP for purchasing a new Max

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2002, 04:42 AM

Use the VPP for purchasing a new Max

Just bought my 2K2 Max a few weeks ago and was unaware(until the salesman told me) that Nissan has something called the Vehicle Purchase Program(VPP) that allows you to purchase the cars at 2% less than invoice. It gets rid of all the BS because they just enter in a number you get from calling 1-800-299-4753 and it spits out an excellent price. Some of you may already be aware that this exists, but there are thousands of companies signed up with this program so it's worth checking out if your in the hunt for a new Max!
Old 07-03-2002, 05:25 AM

I had the opportunity to deal with a VPP, which is a discount based on releationships your company has with auto manufacturers. The prices are good but you could still haggle lower than a price received on a VPP, theoretically. It is very nice to walk into a dealership and have the VPP information, because they usually quit all the sales BS right away. I never used the VPP since Nissan did not fall under the plan.

By the way, you can't just call the number. You have to see if your employer is involved and who with, then you have to get their code, then you call the 800 number of the manufacture and register. You have to do this for each auto manufacture. For example, my company dealt with GM, Ford, Lincoln, Volvo, Saab, etc, and I would have to call each of those and register, based on the code my company gave me.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:38 AM

Originally posted by mdeal
I had the opportunity to deal with a VPP, which is a discount based on releationships your company has with auto manufacturers. The prices are good but you could still haggle lower than a price received on a VPP, theoretically. It is very nice to walk into a dealership and have the VPP information, because they usually quit all the sales BS right away. I never used the VPP since Nissan did not fall under the plan.

By the way, you can't just call the number. You have to see if your employer is involved and who with, then you have to get their code, then you call the 800 number of the manufacture and register. You have to do this for each auto manufacture. For example, my company dealt with GM, Ford, Lincoln, Volvo, Saab, etc, and I would have to call each of those and register, based on the code my company gave me.
Sorry for not clarifying. The 800 number that I included before was the number for the VPP program at Nissan. If you call that number, you can see if your company is participating in the program with Nissan and then Nissan HQ will give you the number to use when you go to the dealer.

Also, congratulations if you can haggle for a price that ends up being less than 2% of the invoice. Remember, invoice is what the dealer paid Nissan for the car and they're not too likely to settle on a deal that makes them lose money. I suppose you could keep haggling for some of the dealer holdback money if the car is new on the lot, but I just liked the VPP process.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:42 AM

Originally posted by RTPMax

Sorry for not clarifying. The 800 number that I included before was the number for the VPP program at Nissan. If you call that number, you can see if your company is participating in the program with Nissan and then Nissan HQ will give you the number to use when you go to the dealer.

Also, congratulations if you can haggle for a price that ends up being less than 2% of the invoice. Remember, invoice is what the dealer paid Nissan for the car and they're not too likely to settle on a deal that makes them lose money. I suppose you could keep haggling for some of the dealer holdback money if the car is new on the lot, but I just liked the VPP process.
Oh yeah... invoice is what the dealer paid for the car... what a crock of shiznits! They didn't pay that.. they paid far less, how else would they sell any car at invoice? or 2% less than invoice for that matter. Dealers = Liars = Fact.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:50 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Most car dealerships actually get their cars from between 2-5% under the invoice price. Not all car companies do this, but I do know that that Nissan does this. That means that even if the dealer sells at invoice, they are making money. I don't remember exactly what their percentage was, but I think it was 3%. I think this was on Edmunds.com or a similar site, but unfortunately I can't find where it was.
Old 07-03-2002, 05:58 AM

Who has paid less than invoice and how?

Originally posted by ssp34

Oh yeah... invoice is what the dealer paid for the car... what a crock of shiznits! They didn't pay that.. they paid far less, how else would they sell any car at invoice? or 2% less than invoice for that matter. Dealers = Liars = Fact.
Obviously, unless you work for a dealer you have no idea what they truly paid, but part of the VPP program between a company and Nissan involves some funding on the company's part as well as from Nissan, for the dealer. The way that the dealer could still make money by selling a car at invoice is by keeping the dealer holdback(usually 3% for Nissan) that is given to them by the manufacturer, since the dealers purchase the cars from Nissan and finance them until someone buys them. Dealer hold back(if you don't know) is money that is given by the manufacturer to help fund the financing on the car for the first 3 months that it sits on the lot. If a car sits on the lot longer than 3 months, then the dealer has to start making up the financing charges through the sucker who buys it. If the car, is sold somewhere in the first 3 months it's on the lot, then the dealer gets to keep whatever is left over. These days, since invoice pricing is everywhere on the web, most dealers realize that the saavy consumer can get access to invoice information and that the real money to be made is in used cars,

Since we're talking price, anyone else pay less than invoice(based on something like Edmunds.com)? If so, how much less? Was it because you haggled your way there, or because you received some other discount?
Old 07-03-2002, 07:33 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The company I work for has similiar deals with Ford Motor Co. and GM and it applies to most the brands that fall under the umbrella of each Company. No plan available through work for Nissan, but I got mine for invoice when I bought it so that wasn't too bad.
Old 07-03-2002, 07:57 AM

Sadly, upon calling the VPP number I found out my company does not particiapte. I'm relatively new to buying new cars. I only bought one car ever and it was used. I know I am going to buy either a 2002 Maxima SE, or a 2003 SE depending upon the timeframe I buy in. I will be in the market to buy one this fall. Unfortunately, I do not know that much about haggling for prices. Time to peruse this forum.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:27 AM

just a thought...

Would it be possible to create some sort of "company" associated with the org? Then we could all take advantage of this deal. It looks like all you need to do is fill out a 1-page form and fax it in to Nissan VPP, and they will either approve or disapprove it. This would be sooo sweet if we could pull it off.
Old 07-03-2002, 01:45 PM

I doubt creating a company would work. The VPP program is usually used by larger companies that are proven.
Old 07-03-2002, 02:01 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I doubt creating a company would work. The VPP program is usually used by larger companies that are proven.
Party Pooper!
Old 07-03-2002, 03:35 PM

I got my car under the VPP plan. I got a great deal on it IMO. I plan on using the VPP plan next summer again to purchase a 350Z Enthusiast.
Old 07-03-2002, 04:05 PM
I miss the .org!

Hey thanks for that VPP number, I'm definitely going to give it a call. Does anybody know if Costco has a VPP with Nissan? And do all Nissan dealers honor the VPP, or only certain participating dealers.

I'm going to purchase my Max in the next couple weeks, and have been doing some research on the process, as I've never bought a new car before. Go on www.carbuyingtips.com...they have lots to good information about the whole process. They say that the factory invoice is only what the dealer PAID the manufacturer for the car. It's NOT what they actually got it for. There is always manufacturer incentives, dealer holdback, etc... according to this website.
Old 07-03-2002, 09:37 PM

Re: Use the VPP for purchasing a new Max

Just bought my 2K2 Max a few weeks ago and was unaware(until the salesman told me) that Nissan has something called the Vehicle Purchase Program(VPP) that allows you to purchase the cars at 2% less than invoice. It gets rid of all the BS because they just enter in a number you get from calling 1-800-299-4753 and it spits out an excellent price. Some of you may already be aware that this exists, but there are thousands of companies signed up with this program so it's worth checking out if your in the hunt for a new Max!
Hey RTPMax, where you from? Ali (aka PIONEER) and I work in Research Triangle Park, North Carolina.
Old 07-03-2002, 10:33 PM

Even if you purcahse through the VPP program ask the dealer to show you the invoice and do the math yourself. They are moeny hungry SOB's and will do anything for a buck!
Old 07-05-2002, 12:55 PM
I miss the .org!

Well I tried calling the VPP on Tuesday 7/3, but they were closed for the day, and are closed for the holiday weekend. Dammit I gotta wait til monday to check. Are car dealerships open this weekend?
Old 07-05-2002, 04:56 PM

Re: Who has paid less than invoice and how?

Obviously, unless you work for a dealer you have no idea what they truly paid, but part of the VPP program between a company and Nissan involves some funding on the company's part as well as from Nissan, for the dealer. The way that the dealer could still make money by selling a car at invoice is by keeping the dealer holdback(usually 3% for Nissan) that is given to them by the manufacturer, since the dealers purchase the cars from Nissan and finance them until someone buys them. Dealer hold back(if you don't know) is money that is given by the manufacturer to help fund the financing on the car for the first 3 months that it sits on the lot. If a car sits on the lot longer than 3 months, then the dealer has to start making up the financing charges through the sucker who buys it. If the car, is sold somewhere in the first 3 months it's on the lot, then the dealer gets to keep whatever is left over. These days, since invoice pricing is everywhere on the web, most dealers realize that the saavy consumer can get access to invoice information and that the real money to be made is in used cars,

Since we're talking price, anyone else pay less than invoice(based on something like Edmunds.com)? If so, how much less? Was it because you haggled your way there, or because you received some other discount?

I got mine for 26,633. MSRP was 31,633 Edmunds.com shows invoice as 28,328 which would be 1,695 below invoice. This just happend to be one of those Nissan sponsored sales, where they only have 1, give you 5000 off. This is to suck you in and try to sell you another model. But I liked this one, abd had all the options I wanted. So I bit. And I have never regretted it.

lcj2002se