5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 11:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Neat trick for resetting the ECU

I took this from an article in the June edition of Sport Compact Car:

". . . we reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. Electrons remaining in the system were purged by stepping on the brakes, leaving the ECU with no memory."

Now if I'm reading this correctly, you don't need to disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected overnight to completely reset the ECU. All you have to do is disconnect the battery and step on the brakes. If that's the case, you should be able to completely reset the ECU in a matter of minutes rather than a matter of hours.

Pretty slick, huh?

Old 06-05-2002, 11:05 PM
L33t BMW Drivah

So , does this mean I can put 235/40's on my 17X7's......LOL/////Just kidding !
Old 06-05-2002, 11:15 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
Yup. But first you have to let me purge your electrons. And that's gonna hurt!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:20 PM

Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by y2kse

". . . we reset the ECU by disconnecting the battery. Electrons remaining in the system were purged by stepping on the brakes, leaving the ECU with no memory."

Now if I'm reading this correctly, you don't need to disconnect the battery and leave it disconnected overnight to completely reset the ECU. All you have to do is disconnect the battery and step on the brakes. If that's the case, you should be able to completely reset the ECU in a matter of minutes rather than a matter of hours.

Pretty slick, huh?

will this work for the 4 generations also???
Old 06-05-2002, 11:21 PM

Yup. But first you have to let me purge your electrons. And that's gonna hurt!
what page???
Old 06-05-2002, 11:22 PM

Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by max_speed97

will this work for the 4 generations also???
I don't know why not. The article was written about a Subaru WRX.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:23 PM

Originally posted by skyjay617

what page???
Pg. 212, center column, second paragraph.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

I don't know why not. The article was written about a Subaru WRX.
maybe its only for the wrx and not other cars..???
Old 06-05-2002, 11:27 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by max_speed97

maybe its only for the wrx and not other cars..???
I don't think electrons behave differently in a Maxima than they do in a Subaru.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:22 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

I don't think electrons behave differently in a Maxima than they do in a Subaru.
I read in some post that when you disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, you are not actually resetting the ecu. I have heard that it is best to reset the ecu when you go to the dealer for service if you caused a malfunction on the car. For example, I am racing and suddenly something is wrong with it. If I go to the dealer hoping to get it fix under warranty for something that was obviously my fault then they have a way of knowinf without you telling them. i guess when they hook up the car to a computer it tells them exactly when the when the error code came up. For example if I get a code for a certain transmission malfuction, the technician can see at what speed, what gear, what rpm, how open the throttle was at the time of the malfuction. basically it tells them whether you were abusing the car. So by resetting the ecu all these things are not recorded for the tehnician to know whether the car was being pushed to hard. Does this make sense? What do you guys think?
Old 06-06-2002, 12:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Yes, they do!!! They are slower...

ADMAN
Old 06-06-2002, 01:06 AM

Originally posted by kloogy
OMG ROTFLMAO!!

Tony
Old 06-06-2002, 06:29 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by Menacer
I read in some post that when you disconnect the battery to reset the ECU, you are not actually resetting the ecu. I have heard that it is best to reset the ecu when you go to the dealer for service if you caused a malfunction on the car. For example, I am racing and suddenly something is wrong with it. If I go to the dealer hoping to get it fix under warranty for something that was obviously my fault then they have a way of knowinf without you telling them. i guess when they hook up the car to a computer it tells them exactly when the when the error code came up. For example if I get a code for a certain transmission malfuction, the technician can see at what speed, what gear, what rpm, how open the throttle was at the time of the malfuction. basically it tells them whether you were abusing the car. So by resetting the ecu all these things are not recorded for the tehnician to know whether the car was being pushed to hard. Does this make sense? What do you guys think?
I'm not sure about that, Menacer. Error codes such as the one you're describing may be stored in non-volatile memory. If that's the case, disconnecting the battery may not eliminate them. But disconnecting the battery returns many ECU parameters back to their default settings. The default setting of the SES light, for example, is OFF. So disconnecting the battery may eliminate the SES light even though the error code is still stored.

A variety of reasons exist for resetting the ECU, not all of which involve a tripped SES light. The ECU should be reset any time you install a major performance modification such as an aftermarket intake or a Y-pipe. Resetting the ECU places it in learning mode and reduces the risk that the modification will generate a SES light when power is restored.

FWIW, I'm convinced that the information presented in the Sport Compact Car article is correct. It simply makes sense technically.

Anyone who resets their ECU by disconnecting their battery and letting their vehicle sit for hours on end is wasting their time. Just disconnect your battery, step on your brakes, and voila . . . mission accomplished.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:05 AM

[quote]Anyone who resets their ECU by disconnecting their battery and letting their vehicle sit for hours on end is wasting their time. Just disconnect your battery, step on your brakes, and voila . . . mission accomplished.[quote]

All this achieves is draining out any charge that is left. You can also:
Disconnect battery and
1)Leave your lights on.
2)Leave your radio on.
etc

Brakes have little to do with it, other than lighting up the rear lights.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:13 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 2002 Maxima SE

All this achieves is draining out any charge that is left. You can also:
Disconnect battery and
1)Leave your lights on.
2)Leave your radio on.
etc

Brakes have little to do with it, other than lighting up the rear lights.
Agreed, 2002 Maxima SE. I think it's just a matter of which method is the quickest. I assume that Sport Compact Car's Subaru WRX had lights and a radio. Yet they chose to drain the electrons by stepping on the brakes. That's good enough for me.

But those in a REAL hurry could always leave their lights on, leave their radio on AND step on the brakes.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:14 AM

I am almost possitive it wont work on the 2k2. Every other car I have had I can reset the ECU is some fashion (either by switch, wire, ground, or pulling the battery) but I have tried everything on my 2k2 and the only way it happened was by driving it until I hit @ 50 restarts. Maybe when I get bored I will trip my ECU and try this, but I highl;y doubt it will work. They did something new with these ECUs.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by dblrr900
I am almost possitive it wont work on the 2k2. Every other car I have had I can reset the ECU is some fashion (either by switch, wire, ground, or pulling the battery) but I have tried everything on my 2k2 and the only way it happened was by driving it until I hit @ 50 restarts. Maybe when I get bored I will trip my ECU and try this, but I highl;y doubt it will work. They did something new with these ECUs.
Try it and let us know what happens, dblrr900.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:22 AM

Try it and let us know what happens, dblrr900.

OK, let me get bored first...
Old 06-06-2002, 07:23 AM

The ECU probably has a small battery attached to it that is constantly charged. That way, in case the main battery is disconnected for service, the ECU will not lose any memory. This would be similar to the extra battery on Palm's to prevent memory loss when the AAA batteries die and need replacing.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:32 AM

Originally posted by 2002 Maxima SE
The ECU probably has a small battery attached to it that is constantly charged. That way, in case the main battery is disconnected for service, the ECU will not lose any memory. This would be similar to the extra battery on Palm's to prevent memory loss when the AAA batteries die and need replacing.
That's possible, 2002 Maxima SE. But some types of memory are non-volatile even without battery backup. ROM (read-only-memory) and nvSRAM (nonvolatile Static Random Access Memory, for example, retain their settings without battery backup of any kind.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:33 AM

Funny thing, my SES light came on for the first time ever last week. So, when I got home that night, I disconnected the battery - positive cable - and left it overnight. Left the hood down but not latched to fix in the am.

The next morning, hopped into the car and started it up - without reconnecting the battery! Then noticed the hood was up and thought - gee I need to reconnect the battery - and turned the car off. Only then did I realize that the car started with the battery disconnected.

SES light went off and stayed off, though.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator
Funny thing, my SES light came on for the first time ever last week. So, when I got home that night, I disconnected the battery - positive cable - and left it overnight. Left the hood down but not latched to fix in the am.

The next morning, hopped into the car and started it up - without reconnecting the battery! Then noticed the hood was up and thought - gee I need to reconnect the battery - and turned the car off. Only then did I realize that the car started with the battery disconnected.

hmm, that's weird, i wouldn't think a car could start without the power from the battery. i think i'm going to try it out.

but with the resetting of the battery thing, i've also heard about disconnectiong the battery, and then proceeding to turn your lights on, and that should drain the capacitors and all the power from the system.
Old 06-06-2002, 08:53 AM

Originally posted by Max_Gator

Fascinating. That brings up a couple of questions.

First, if there's enough juice left in the electrical system with the battery disconnected to start the engine, is there enough juice to prevent the ECU from resetting itself?

Second, how long would you have to step on the brakes (or leave the lights on or leave the radio on or all three) with the battery disconnected before enough juice drains from the electrical system to prevent the engine from starting?

It might be interesting to run some experiments if someone has the time and the desire to do so.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:00 AM

Fascinating. That brings up a couple of questions.

First, if there's enough juice left in the electrical system with the battery disconnected to start the engine, is there enough juice to prevent the ECU from resetting itself?

Second, how long would you have to step on the brakes (or leave the lights on or leave the radio on or all three) with the battery disconnected before enough juice drains from the electrical system to prevent the engine from starting?

It might be interesting to run some experiments if someone has the time and the desire to do so.
I wonder if it is related to the feature that provides power to open/close windows, etc. once you have turned off the engine but have not opened and closed the door.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:42 AM

Originally posted by victor

i've also heard about disconnectiong the battery, and then proceeding to turn your lights on, and that should drain the capacitors and all the power from the system.
Yup. Same general idea as stepping on the brakes. Although the Sport Compact Car article didn't state it, I assume you'd need to keep the brakes depressed until the brake lights went out (or keep your headlights on until they went out, or both) to completely drain electrons from the electrical system. One way or the other, however, a combination of one or more of these techniques should be faster and more thorough at draining residual electricity than the currently preferred method of simply letting the car sit overnight with the battery disconnected.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've tried the brake trick after my CEL came on and it didn't work... light stayed on after I've re-connected the battery. Now leaving it disconnected for about an hour did reset the light...
Old 06-06-2002, 10:37 AM

Pretty slick, huh?

cool!

and thanks!

this could be very useful.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:25 PM

Originally posted by Maksim2000
I've tried the brake trick after my CEL came on and it didn't work... light stayed on after I've re-connected the battery. Now leaving it disconnected for about an hour did reset the light...
Hmmmm. Maybe there's a time element involved, Maksim2000. It would be cool if other people tried it both ways when they get a CEL. Then we might be able to establish a trend.

BTW, when you tried the brake trick, did you do it long enough for the brake lights to go out completely? Just curious.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:13 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Old 06-06-2002, 03:21 PM

Originally posted by Y2KevSE
Yup. I'd call that a time element alright! And so much for the idea of a quick way to reset the ECU.

Oh well, it sounded like a good idea at the time.

Thanks, Kev.
Old 06-06-2002, 03:41 PM
Minister of Silly Walks

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by Menacer
For example if I get a code for a certain transmission malfuction, the technician can see at what speed, what gear, what rpm, how open the throttle was at the time of the malfuction.
Since when does WOT and high speed constitute abuse?
Old 06-06-2002, 04:05 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by mzmtg

Methinks you may have jumped to a hasty conclusion, mzmtg. Just because the Consult may be able to read certain conditions when a malfunction occurs doesn't necessarily mean that abuse caused the malfunction.

Old 06-06-2002, 05:05 PM

Pretty slick, huh?

So what is a ECU and what does it do????
Old 06-06-2002, 05:24 PM

Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by lcj2002se

So what is a ECU and what does it do????
Hi lcj2002se. Welcome.

Allow me to introduce you to some of the features of the 5th Gen Forum. First, I'd recommend that you take a look through the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) thread. Although you may not understand everything you read, you'll run into it if you stick around here long enough.

We use a lot of abbreviations around here. There's an excellent thread on Page 4 of the FAQs that lists the most common ones, including ECU.

FYI, the ECU is the brain of your Maxima.
Old 06-06-2002, 05:29 PM
Banned

If i did disconnect the battery and hooked it up the next day.
how would i know if the ECU was reset?
Old 06-06-2002, 05:58 PM

Originally posted by Viciousss1
If i did disconnect the battery and hooked it up the next day.
how would i know if the ECU was reset?
Depends on why you disconnected the ECU. If you did so to clear a SES light, you'd know it's reset when you reconnect your battery, start your car, and the SES light does not illuminate.
Old 06-06-2002, 06:14 PM

Actually I tried this already on my 2K maxima cuz my "check engine soon" light came one. Doesn't work unfortunately.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:55 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Neat trick for resetting the ECU

Originally posted by mzmtg

I don't see WOT and high speed as abuse. I never said that. If your the type that races a lot and does burn outs and stuff wouldn't that cause stress on your transmission and engine? I would think so. For example, let's say Racer X has a RSX and just loves to race. One day Racer X gets involved in a race with some other car and all the sudden his car, I don't know, blew a head gasket or messed up his clutch. So Racer X is concered that the damages will put a big dent in his wallet. But wait he figures I'll just take out my mods and take it to the dealer and tell them that it just happen out of the blue. Racer X gets to the dealer and tells the service writer that he was just driving the speed limit and all of the sudden he car is messed up and wants it repair under warranty. What I was saying is I heard that it is possible for the technician to know at what speed he was going at the time the problem occured, at what rpm, gear, mph, temp. of the car, etc. SO you want to reset the ECU anytime you are taking the car to the dealer. But I read that resetting the ECU isn't necessarily reset when disconnecting the battery for an extended period of time. So I ask for what some of your guys thoughts on this was.
Old 06-07-2002, 04:44 AM

SES always comes back on (after Budget Y-Pipe)

I have tried leaving the battery disconnected over night a couple of times and the light still keeps coming back on. Do any one you have any ideas. The pipe sounds great but is it causing any damage? Sensors where put back in place. However, I do hear a whistling noise at high rpm. May have exhaust leak. Would this trigger the light and if the light stays on could it cause damagae to anything in the long run?

Old 06-07-2002, 05:51 AM

maybe the thing with the 24 hours and resetting the DTC is because of the backup battery trying to save the memory for diagnostic purposes.

Quick Reply: Neat trick for resetting the ECU