5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

I hate 18- wheelers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2002, 07:39 AM

I hate 18-wheelers!

This morning sux...

Driving to work today, I was in rush hour traffic on a main freeway here in Houston, and this 18-wheeler is just riding my a$$!! We were just trollin' along at about 3-5 mph. He gets so close to my back bumper that I have to give it a little gas to avoid him bumping me! Then seconds later, he's on my a$$ again, following about a couple of feet behind. Then I have to stop for traffic (cars in front of me) and the MORON bumps me from behind at about 3-5 mph. I'm like WTF! I start to pull to shoulder and the guy begins to keep going! So I put my hazzards on and put it in 'park' right there in the right-hand lane of the frwy. I get out of my car and sure enuff, there 4 deep sractches on the lower bumber. I try to get him to get out of his truck and he yells from his truck "I didn't do that!" I yell back "The h*ll you didn't!" bottom line: He took off! I got EVERYTHING on his truck: plates, US DOT#, name on the door, color, etc. (He couldn't exactly make a quick get-away). I called my insurance and they advised me to file a "hit and run" report w/ the police. Which I did. I have $500.00 deductible and that will probably be about the amount of the repair. (Hopefully less!) It probably won't be enuff to claim. So, I'm pretty-much screwed.

No offense to anyone who's frendz or family are truckers... but I hate em'! From the day one when I got my 2k2 Max where THE NEXT DAY got my first ding from being in the NEXT LANE to an 18-wheeler, to today, when my Max is no longer "perfect" and it's almost brand new.

Sorry guyz, just had to vent a little.
Old 06-05-2002, 07:50 AM

damn! that sucks! almost not even worth worrying about! sorry to hear about that! get his A$$ in trouble!!!!

will
Old 06-05-2002, 07:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: I hate 18- wheelers!

Check this... I had my 02 Max for 3 days... was getting into a construction zone where one lane ends... my lane, but I still had like 1/2 mile before the lane was actually closed - well he decided to end my lane early. So he moves over, squeezing me between his truck and some barrels - so I get on it. I hit a barrel with my mirror, smashed that all to **** tried to get him to pull over, but no luck. Same situation, it was cheaper to deal with it myself - $260 for mirror w/ shell + paint. Fortunately, there was no body damage, just a clean break off. Must be something against nice rides
Old 06-05-2002, 07:58 AM

Sorry to hear that

but to be honest you could lump about half the drivers into the driving to closely group, and I especially hate the ones who have crap cars that I know cannot brake even near as close to my max that still ride my *** in rush hour. I mean if I see a really nice Ferrari or Porsche I don't ride thier *** because I know they can stop on a dime.

I am shocked you kept your cool, I actually moved from a congested area to the country to avoid throttling someone.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:12 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

more power to you...

do the police report.. do it quickly, dont wait.. that guy will kill someone. Btw, his company will pay your deductible at the very least. ESPECIALLY if you file a report.

oh and this will cost him a whole lot more than it will you. Even if its not important to you, do it for the people who he might kill. We have those same guys up here in Little Rock, riding your bumper with an 18 wheeler in rush hour traffic. And every 3-4 days they run up on stopped traffic, cant react in time, and turn some poor car and driver in to a semi sandwich.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:47 AM

Originally posted by WILLSE
damn! that sucks! almost not even worth worrying about! sorry to hear about that! get his A$$ in trouble!!!!

will
Yeh, you're right. Doesn't look like there's any damage underneath the bumper. But, the scratches are big and dug in. It's just cosmetic, but still eats me up everytime I see em'.

Unfortuantely, there was no company name on the truck. I believe (as does the cop) that he was self-employed, so there no company to run to for reimbursement.

Now I need to run it in to Nissan Dlr to see the financial damage or bring it to a good body shop. We'll see...
Old 06-05-2002, 08:50 AM
jjs

When you get the work done...

Originally posted by CHAZMAX

Yeh, you're right. Doesn't look like there's any damage underneath the bumper. But, the scratches are big and dug in. It's just cosmetic, but still eats me up everytime I see em'.

Unfortuantely, there was no company name on the truck. I believe (as does the cop) that he was self-employed, so there no company to run to for reimbursement.

Now I need to run it in to Nissan Dlr to see the financial damage or bring it to a good body shop. We'll see...
can you PM me which dealer/body shop you used and how they did? I am over past Katy, so anything on the west side of Houston would be an option for me.

Thanks!
Old 06-05-2002, 08:51 AM

Re: When you get the work done...

Originally posted by jjs

can you PM me which dealer/body shop you used and how they did? I am over past Katy, so anything on the west side of Houston would be an option for me.

Thanks!
you got it!
Old 06-05-2002, 11:35 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

well..

so you cant bust him down, bummer.. but at least you tried, that's what counts. more than most people would do.
Old 06-05-2002, 11:45 AM
I'm needing a caw

You can still bust him. Hit and Run is a crime where I live. And if you catch him, HIS INSURANCE should pay so hopefully no deductible.

This is odd because 99% of the truckers I see, leave huge gaps. I actually feel sorry for them because morons in cars always cut infront of these semis and don't realize they will plowed into if there is an emergency stop.
Old 06-05-2002, 12:22 PM

So true

Originally posted by Jeff92se
You can still bust him. Hit and Run is a crime where I live. And if you catch him, HIS INSURANCE should pay so hopefully no deductible.

This is odd because 99% of the truckers I see, leave huge gaps. I actually feel sorry for them because morons in cars always cut infront of these semis and don't realize they will plowed into if there is an emergency stop.

Generally the real deal truckers are very good drivers. The bad ones are usually in moving vans, step vans, and big work trucks, etc...
Old 06-05-2002, 12:25 PM
lcf

its always good to watch your rear when someone is tailgating. when i was 17, i was driving my moms brand new car home from the movies around 3am on a saturday night. i was at a redlight and the next thing i know i hear squeeling tires and baaaaaaaaaayam!! some loser plowed right into me.

after this im always checking the rearview. ive prevented 2 other accidents from careless drivers who almost slid into my car.

Old 06-05-2002, 12:46 PM

You're right. Most truckers are alright. There's a few that just don't care though. The door of his truck said "Win Thomas". I think that's his actual name. Maybe 'Windell Thomas'. There was no address or ph# on the door. His plates were from New Mexico, so he was probably going thru a little road rage w/ houston traffic. Prolly not use to this kinda traffic. Nothing can prepare you!! The thing that pi**es me off though, is that I didn't cut him off or anything! I even saved him from hitting me only seconds before! Oh well...
Old 06-05-2002, 03:32 PM

i am a driver also and this guy is wrong. no way for me to defend his actions. we have some nut jobs in this field. he should have owned up to his actions. you have an abundance of info. make sure your ins company gets it with the police report and thorough description of what when and how it occurred. sorry you got a bad rap.
Old 06-05-2002, 09:27 PM

I agree with ICF's checking ur mirrors constantly when ur being tailgated or when ur at a light. Ive been rear ended twice, both when i was completely stopped. I constantly check my mirrors when im at a light and if i see someone barrelin towards me i start to inch up slowly just in case. i hate when other people dont pay attention... just today i was going down this side street on my lunch break and the car in front of me stops dead in the middle of the road in front of a house. All the sudden i see the reverse lights come on and the car starts rolling backwords. once i seen that i rode the damn horn and that dumbass in the car slams on her brakes. she didnt even know i was behind her cuz SHE DIDNT LOOK. why is it always the girls? every time ive been hit or almost been hit its been a woman....
Old 06-06-2002, 02:02 AM

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
why is it always the girls?
Heh. I had one in an econo-crap-box who rear ended me and claimed that I "Stopped too fast," so it was *my* fault. Wasn't any damage. If I had the time, I would have called the cops, forced her to wait, and let the cops explain what "Following too close for conditions" meant...

Dumbasses. They transend race, age, sex, class, religion and intellect.
Old 06-06-2002, 02:41 AM

I work with a trucking company in ATL and I will talk to the dispatcher and see what will happen to a hit and run. Be sure you remember the time (about) when he hit you and where. They are going to have to look at his log books. From what I think, you will probably get them to pay, but it might take a while. I'll get back to ya.
Old 06-06-2002, 07:04 AM

Originally posted by JBWhitley
I work with a trucking company in ATL and I will talk to the dispatcher and see what will happen to a hit and run. Be sure you remember the time (about) when he hit you and where. They are going to have to look at his log books. From what I think, you will probably get them to pay, but it might take a while. I'll get back to ya.
Hey, I appreciate that!

BTW, I've got the time and location, etc... What I'm worried about is: since there was no company name on the side of the truck, (only "Win Thomas") he may not work for a particular "company". So it may just be a question of whether "he" wants to pay. I'm not in the business, so I really don't know much, but that's my thinking anyway. And I'm willing to work something out w/ em'. I dunno..
Old 06-06-2002, 09:32 AM
You're Faster, I'm Better

Hey, I appreciate that!

BTW, I've got the time and location, etc... What I'm worried about is: since there was no company name on the side of the truck, (only "Win Thomas") he may not work for a particular "company". So it may just be a question of whether "he" wants to pay. I'm not in the business, so I really don't know much, but that's my thinking anyway. And I'm willing to work something out w/ em'. I dunno..
If you want I will give you the name and number to my attorney who is handeling my hit and run case. just let me know. BTW we should meet up, sounds like you live close by.

Oh, someone wasasking about a dealership on the west side, just take it to southwest infinity, BW8 & 59S. They will do warranty work and anything else you want. They even make you feel wanted.
Old 06-06-2002, 09:57 AM

I hate getting tailgated by trucks too, it always makes me nervous. I've been rear-ended by cars twice, once badly, not in the maxima. It's also irritating when I see morons cut in front of the good truck drivers that leave sufficient braking room ahead.
Old 06-06-2002, 10:16 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Completely true. This is a hit and run. File a report. His truckers license (ie: food on the table) will be in jeopardy.

Lower your deductible to $250 too....... You'll thank me later.
Old 06-06-2002, 11:12 AM

You should have hit your brakes hard the first time he got too close. You could have got a new car out of the deal. And maybe more.
Old 06-06-2002, 12:37 PM

Hey, I appreciate that!

Okay, here it is. He may/may not lose his license depending on the state. More than likely he will only get hit with a fine. He more than like worked for Win Thomas and if he didn't, he (1) owned his own tractor and rented their trailor or (2) sub worked for them. In any case, they will have the info on him for further action. DO NOT GET YOUR BUMPER OR ANYTHING ELSE FIXED. If you do, in some states, this will claim fault. The furthest on that subject, get an estimate. If you haven't, file the report ASAP. You will have to talk to the police about how to go about it further. I wish I could help more, but this gets your started.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:01 PM

Okay, here it is. He may/may not lose his license depending on the state. More than likely he will only get hit with a fine. He more than like worked for Win Thomas and if he didn't, he (1) owned his own tractor and rented their trailor or (2) sub worked for them. In any case, they will have the info on him for further action. DO NOT GET YOUR BUMPER OR ANYTHING ELSE FIXED. If you do, in some states, this will claim fault. The furthest on that subject, get an estimate. If you haven't, file the report ASAP. You will have to talk to the police about how to go about it further. I wish I could help more, but this gets your started.
I appreciate all the help, 'JBWhitley' So 'Win Thomas' is an actual company name?

I've already filed the police report (did that yesterday).

I'll be getting a few estimates by the weekend...
1)Mossy Nissan
2)Apollo paint and body
3)Color Coat paint and body

I'll give it some time and hopefully get some good news...

Thx again!!
Old 06-06-2002, 01:05 PM

I appreciate all the help, 'JBWhitley' So 'Win Thomas' is an actual company name?

1)Mossy Nissan
2)Apollo paint and body

Thx again!!
Win Thomas could be a company name, a contractor name, or his name, but in any case. If you got the right info off of the back and you have a DOT number from the trailor or tractor, the DOT can track down who it was. Chances are, they won't take this lightly b/c if he barely bumped you, what would he have done if he really hit a family van hard?? Keep me posted.
Old 06-06-2002, 01:25 PM

Win Thomas could be a company name, a contractor name, or his name, but in any case. If you got the right info off of the back and you have a DOT number from the trailor or tractor, the DOT can track down who it was. Chances are, they won't take this lightly b/c if he barely bumped you, what would he have done if he really hit a family van hard?? Keep me posted.
You got it!
Old 06-06-2002, 03:03 PM

ya file the police report as soon as u can. any type of accident whether it be a very minor fender bender or just someone cutting u off and u hit a curb or something u should always get the required info like plate number and all that and call the police asap. when i hit 2 dogs with my max i didnt call the police to file a report and i regret it. theres a leash law where i live and the dogs didnt have leashes or collars. the owner of the dogs saw the whole thing and she was going hysterical when it happened because one of the dogs got stuck under the car. well anyways the dogs messed up my bumper a little and u cant really notice the damage unless u really look at it but if i had called the cops and filed a report i probably could of gotten a new bumper paid for by the owner....
Old 06-06-2002, 04:09 PM
I miss the .org!

Originally posted by scmaxima2k
why is it always the girls? every time ive been hit or almost been hit its been a woman....
I can tell you why... j/k
Old 06-06-2002, 07:55 PM
You're Faster, I'm Better

1)Mossy Nissan
2)Apollo paint and body

Thx again!!
A place that does daned good body work is a shop off of windfern and BW8, let e know if your interested.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by Phydeaux
You should have hit your brakes hard the first time he got too close. You could have got a new car out of the deal. And maybe more.
Not smart, because then you have to get a whole lot of SCREWED OVER just in the process. Definitely not worth it.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:01 PM
Got Projectors?

I know how it feels man. On I-40 here in TN there is always some "genius" trucker who decides to drive up a mountain in the left hand lane forcing anyone who wishes to go the speed limit pass by in the right hand lane.

I did this once, and I guess the trucker just didn't like me, because he saw me (had view of the mirrors), gave a signal and merged on over on me. I layed out on my horn and everything and was forced to swerve over into the emergency lane and gun it so he didn't sandwich me into the guardrail. I wish I could have gotten his info, but it was all on the rear of his truck - a place I didn't want to be again. So I just took off.

I hope you nail this bastard. The more I do long distance driving the more truckers **** me off.

**I'm not talking about all truckers, mind you, just the ones that think they own the road and feel they should impose their will in ANY way on ANYone.
Old 01-11-2003, 11:16 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: I hate 18-wheelers!

This morning sux...

Driving to work today, I was in rush hour traffic on a main freeway here in Houston, and this 18-wheeler is just riding my a$$!! We were just trollin' along at about 3-5 mph. He gets so close to my back bumper that I have to give it a little gas to avoid him bumping me! Then seconds later, he's on my a$$ again, following about a couple of feet behind. Then I have to stop for traffic (cars in front of me) and the MORON bumps me from behind at about 3-5 mph. I'm like WTF! I start to pull to shoulder and the guy begins to keep going! So I put my hazzards on and put it in 'park' right there in the right-hand lane of the frwy. I get out of my car and sure enuff, there 4 deep sractches on the lower bumber. I try to get him to get out of his truck and he yells from his truck "I didn't do that!" I yell back "The h*ll you didn't!" bottom line: He took off! I got EVERYTHING on his truck: plates, US DOT#, name on the door, color, etc. (He couldn't exactly make a quick get-away). I called my insurance and they advised me to file a "hit and run" report w/ the police. Which I did. I have $500.00 deductible and that will probably be about the amount of the repair. (Hopefully less!) It probably won't be enuff to claim. So, I'm pretty-much screwed.

Sorry guyz, just had to vent a little.
!##$!!@$%^%!!! Just hearing about crap like this makes me crazy!!! There are some assinine drivers in Houston (I guess everywhere, but some of the guys here seem to just shut their brain off). Sending you a PM with a body shop right down the street from you - they fixed my '95 and did an excellent job. Sorry bud!
Old 01-12-2003, 12:36 AM

I recently hit someone doing 2mph and the lady is now sueing me for neck injuries, so my question for you is, how is YOUR neck?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:56 AM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
I recently hit someone doing 2mph and the lady is now sueing me for neck injuries, so my question for you is, how is YOUR neck?
Food for thought

Last year I had trucker who hauled coal for a local power plant pull right out in front of me where the speed limit is 55 mph. He saw me and I know he did not care and just pulled right out and I had to slam on my brakes in the rain and just did miss him. He got stopped at the next light and I pulled up next to him and asked him if he knew what he did? He just gave me one of those dont give a **** looks and if I was not late for work I would have jumped out and went for him. I gave him a few choice words and the guy who was very young could have cared less. That is what just pi##ed me off the most. He did not have a name on the truck but I should have pursued it further but finally calmed down and chose not to.

Like someone said in another posting there are good and bad truckers and the bad ones need some serious help. You know who is going to lose if there is a collision.

Sam
Old 01-13-2003, 05:51 PM

Re: I hate 18-wheelers!

This morning sux...

Driving to work today, I was in rush hour traffic on a main freeway here in Houston, and this 18-wheeler is just riding my a$$!! We were just trollin' along at about 3-5 mph. Sorry guyz, just had to vent a little.
It's probably the same guy who ran me off the road on I-35 north of San Antonio (Comal county line) and totaled my 93 SE. Jerk.

Buzz
Old 01-13-2003, 06:21 PM
vqman

GOOD OLD GEEZER STORY....

I attend DeVry (and work full-time) and this cop that is in one of my classes was in my car when we were going to lunch (Saturday School-Acclerated Classes)

So anyway, I'm sitting at a stop light, and my car lurches forward...(this was back when I had my 98 Automatic SE Maxima)

I look down, my foot didn't come off the brake..i thought WTF?!

I look in my rear view mirror, and this old geezer is practically checking his gloss-white uni-brow in my mirror! he's that close to me!

I get out, walk back...so did my cop buddy...and he rolls down the window...

[geezer voice]yeah son, what can i do for ya...[/geezer voice](think Abraham Simpson)

I said, well, can I get your insurance information?

[geezer voice] what fer? [/geezer voice]

I said, you just rear ended me!

THE OLD MOTHER FiretrUCKER PUTS THE CAR IN REVERSE, BACKS UP ABOUT A FOOT, PUTS HIS 1996 LINCOLN TOWN CAR IN PARK, GETS OUT, WALKS UP TO THE FRONT OF HIS CAR, AND SAYS, "no I didn't...see, I'm not touching ya..."

He went to get back in his car, like he was going to drive off, I called the cops...

his insurance paid...

I hope you got the trucker man...6 months has gone by...I hope you got him...it's worth it...just based on principal...it's all worth it...

-vq

Old 01-13-2003, 07:53 PM
Banned

Re: GOOD OLD GEEZER STORY....

Originally posted by VQMAN
I attend DeVry (and work full-time) and this cop that is in one of my classes was in my car when we were going to lunch (Saturday School-Acclerated Classes)

So anyway, I'm sitting at a stop light, and my car lurches forward...(this was back when I had my 98 Automatic SE Maxima)

I look down, my foot didn't come off the brake..i thought WTF?!

I look in my rear view mirror, and this old geezer is practically checking his gloss-white uni-brow in my mirror! he's that close to me!

I get out, walk back...so did my cop buddy...and he rolls down the window...

[geezer voice]yeah son, what can i do for ya...[/geezer voice](think Abraham Simpson)

I said, well, can I get your insurance information?

[geezer voice] what fer? [/geezer voice]

I said, you just rear ended me!

THE OLD MOTHER FiretrUCKER PUTS THE CAR IN REVERSE, BACKS UP ABOUT A FOOT, PUTS HIS 1996 LINCOLN TOWN CAR IN PARK, GETS OUT, WALKS UP TO THE FRONT OF HIS CAR, AND SAYS, "no I didn't...see, I'm not touching ya..."

He went to get back in his car, like he was going to drive off, I called the cops...

his insurance paid...

I hope you got the trucker man...6 months has gone by...I hope you got him...it's worth it...just based on principal...it's all worth it...

-vq
Looks like gran'pa was asking for a beat down!!!

Seriously though, this thread was started way back in June of last year, not sure who dug it up. But going on and on about truckers is something I could do for a long time as well.
Old 01-14-2003, 08:11 AM

Update

Well, it appears that this thread was "re-opened" from June 02', so let me take a little time to give an update.

Re: my car,
I got my car repaired at Apollo Paint & Body on FM 1960 in Houston. They were recommended from several friends. For $220.00, they did a PERFECT job. You absolutely cannot tell it had deep scratches anywhere. Highly recommend them.

Re: the trucker,
I wished I could say that he took responsibility for his actions, paid for the damage, and justice was served... but I'd be lying if I did. The truck driver got away "scott-free." I went thru all the motions, even worked w/ his insurance company and the police. Bottom line, he denied that it was him that hit my car. They're own insurance adjuster claimed that it was "not damage that coincided w/ the angle at which the accident took place." Completely, the opposite of what the cop and the actual damage showed. I can still take him to "small-claims" court, but to be honest, I'm tired of dealing w/ it.

My car's been fixed, and I'm NOW more aware of other drivers!

Thx anyway for all the help guyz!