5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

BAY AREA! help me out...need body shop

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2002, 07:49 PM

BAY AREA! help me out...need body shop

Our max got rear ended, and the guy wants to settle out of insurance. Please let me know of good, i mean TOP QUALITTY body shops in the San Jose area, thanks a lot!
Old 06-04-2002, 07:56 PM

Well, I can't really help you with top quality body shops in San Jose, but I can say don't go to Hi Tech Collisions in Oakland. They were SLOW as hell and kinda expensive (though insurance covered it). They did decent body work (though they kept forgetting to work on certain items and had to push back their promise date), but didn't respect my interior carpet and seats at all.

I am, however, interested in good body shops anywhere in the Bay Area...just in case.
Old 06-04-2002, 07:58 PM

thanks for the input.....anybody else? i need to do this by tomorrow....please help a jacked up maxima get fixed right
Old 06-04-2002, 08:04 PM

Originally posted by Mike2000SE
thanks for the input.....anybody else? i need to do this by tomorrow....please help a jacked up maxima get fixed right
i use sunnys auto body in san francisco
that guy is so overpriced and so good...i take all my cars to him
Old 06-04-2002, 08:38 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: BAY AREA! help me out...need body shop

Our max got rear ended, and the guy wants to settle out of insurance. Please let me know of good, i mean TOP QUALITTY body shops in the San Jose area, thanks a lot!

If your car is driveable, I would highly recommend GAMBOA Bodyshop in Sacramento. Several friends of mine have been there and they will warranty the car for as long as you own it. Personally, I've been a customer of Anderson Behel bodyshop in Santa Clara for 5 times(excluding one totalled Corolla). I'm really impressed by their precision in repairing the frame or chassis but their paint quality is nowhere near GAMBOA's paint job although both of them use PPG.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:00 PM

When my Maxima was rear ended, I made the mistake of having a local Nissan dealer recommend a shop. This was the body shop they, as well as several other dealers around them, used. It was Troy's Auto Body at Serramonte (Daly City/Colma in the Bay Area). They did the WORST paint job. They couldn't match the color of the new bumper to the body after two tries! The bumper came out white and had very little pearl in it. Also, the first time, the guy "forgot" to replace the SE badge. The worst part was that after the second time, my girlfriend nudged the bumper against another car's bumper and the paint just flaked off. Turns out the guy didn't even use primer! I also saw that he did not finish the paint job underneath the bumper properly. It totally had a very rough feel to it. Sucked!

So I took the car to Franklin Auto Body in San Francisco. They did the body repairs on my Civic just months before my Maxima got hit, and I was satisfied with their work. Anyway, the guy there, Tony, was able to convince the insurance guy to force Troy's Auto Body to pay for a new bumper again so that nothing would come out of my pocket and nothing would affect my insurance rate, and this time the paint came out right. I should have taken the car to him in the first place, but I thought the Nissan dealer would know better. I guess not.

Moral of the story...don't go to Troy's Auto Body in the Serramonte area.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:35 PM

Re: Re: BAY AREA! help me out...need body shop

Originally posted by KennyLau
<snip>
So I took the car to Franklin Auto Body in San Francisco. They did the body repairs on my Civic just months before my Maxima got hit, and I was satisfied with their work. Anyway, the guy there, Tony, was able to convince the insurance guy to force Troy's Auto Body to pay for a new bumper again so that nothing would come out of my pocket and nothing would affect my insurance rate, and this time the paint came out right. I should have taken the car to him in the first place, but I thought the Nissan dealer would know better. I guess not.
<snip>[/B]
Wait, there are two Franklin Auto Body shops in SF:

Franklin Auto Body on 340 Fell St.
and
Franklin Auto Body Shop on 24 Franklin St.

Or are they the same owner?
Old 06-04-2002, 09:37 PM

Re: Re: Re: BAY AREA! help me out...need body shop

Originally posted by panman

Wait, there are two Franklin Auto Body shops in SF:

Franklin Auto Body on 340 Fell St.
and
Franklin Auto Body Shop on 24 Franklin St.

Or are they the same owner?
I know the guy was planning on moving locations. I went to the one on 24 Franklin Street. Just call them up to see if they are one and the same.
Old 06-04-2002, 09:44 PM

no matter what you do, do not EVER bring your wreck to Auzie's body shop in san jose. a dealer recommended that shop to me also, and i fell for it. they will have dinky 21 years old working on your car, takes forever, and just down-right crappy workmanship. i soon learned it's known as one of those "chop-shops", which basically takes in junked cars, rebuild them, then sell them back.

my 00 maxima was fixed there; frame damage. i ended up trading the car in for an 02 just after a few days. never want to see that shop ever again...
Old 06-04-2002, 10:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

PRemier body shop in santa clara

call Jacob or Scott at 4089700770

Old 06-04-2002, 11:18 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Magnussen's in Mountain view will make the car look new. They are very expensive. If somebody else is paying I would go there; at least get an estimate from them.
Old 06-05-2002, 08:48 AM

Several years ago (about 7) I used West Coast Auto Body in Sunnyvale (on W. Evelyn) to fix my 89 SE. Kid ran a light and smacked into the driver's side passenger door. Door, rear quarter panel, and wheel had to be replaced. Like most things it took longer than I wanted or they said (they were late by a day or two). Overall they did a pretty good job.