5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

A-pillar tweeter

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2000, 10:44 PM

2 questions:

how does one remove the A-pillar to reveal the tweeter??

what size is the tweeter?

curious to find out what brand of speaker component sets others have used and how hard was it to wire and mount the tweets??
Old 09-03-2000, 06:04 AM

The A-Pillar comes off by using a trim wedge, or regular screwdriver (be careful) by prying it away from the window at the top. It then pulls out from the bottom half. Putting it back in works in reverse (seat the bottom half in first, and snap it in all the way up to the top).

The stock tweeters are horrible. I dont recall 100%, but I think they were made by Clarion or something.. They are made mostly of paper, and are about as big as a quarter. These things couldnt produce a crisp tweet if they tried. I replaced mine with Polk audio components, which fit in perfectly.
The 6.5's for the door required a little plastic work to squeeze them in though..
Old 09-03-2000, 08:05 AM

yeah the tweets are clarion

if u wanna spend ome money go with dynaudio 3 way components. don't mount the tweets there. you dont' need to take em' out either. just build a kick panel and mount everything there. or u can have the same set up as what i'm going to have.. illusion audio horns, illusion audio carbon-nd 8.1 midbass. it'll b cheaper and sounds better.. or just different. but u gotta aim the horns real good.
Old 09-03-2000, 08:46 AM

I don't want to build in kick panels since I rely heavily on the dead pedal when driving fast thru turns. (not enough seat bolstering) So this isn't an option.

I'd like to stay w/ 2-way components.

To the person who used Polk Audio components: How big of a space is there for the tweeter location? Were your tweeters 1" in diameter? Also how deep of a 'pocket' is there?

As for the 6 1/2" in the door panel, how much cutting am I gonna have to do to get these to fit? Plus, and more importantly, how deep is the space in there?

Basically I'm looking to use Boston Pro Series components, and from what I can gather, they seem to need deepermounting wells than normal.

thanks for all the info
Old 09-03-2000, 09:44 AM

I'm not 100% sure of the depths etc, but the polk components use 1" tweeters.. and like I say, they fit perfectly.
The reason I had to cut for plastic for the 6.5 in the front door was to use the 3rd mounting screw which didnt match up perfectly. There was plenty of depth in the door..
Old 09-04-2000, 07:09 AM

I don't have my system anymore

but when I had it in my 2K I had the tweets on the little plastic triange piece on the front Door.. 1 on each side. was running Premier components in front and Pioneer Components in rear. Mounted the rear tweeter on the B-piller faceing the back.. (What'd U think I was running, SONY)?
Old 04-12-2001, 01:48 PM

simple swap

I have a pair of MB Quart components from my last car and system. Is it possible to simlpy swap these with the exsisting front speakers. Or would I need some kind of interfacing component. If this can be done where would I wire up the MB Quart x-overs? I have the Bose stereo right now (until I have the money for a real system). Thanks
Old 04-12-2001, 02:44 PM

I removed the A-pillar trim last weekend to run my mirror wires up/down there. I grabbed the edge of the A-pillar trim and the top, and gently pulled it towards the steering wheel. There are two snap type clips which are holding it secure. After that, the part closest to the windshield is sort of wedged down in there.

Look at my A-pillar pics here and you can see how I first pried it back: http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/mirrorinstall/

Also, look at the picture labeled "Running wires up A-pillar" to see what it looks like completely removed, along with a sneak prevue of what the tweeter looks like.

Good luck
Old 04-12-2001, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by mdeal
I removed the A-pillar trim last weekend to run my mirror wires up/down there. I grabbed the edge of the A-pillar trim and the top, and gently pulled it towards the steering wheel. There are two snap type clips which are holding it secure. After that, the part closest to the windshield is sort of wedged down in there.

Look at my A-pillar pics here and you can see how I first pried it back: http://www.fourthrock.com/maxima/mirrorinstall/
YOU RULE!! Thanks for the pics!
Old 04-12-2001, 03:05 PM

Re: simple swap

Originally posted by Mikesmaxatl
I have a pair of MB Quart components from my last car and system. Is it possible to simlpy swap these with the exsisting front speakers. Or would I need some kind of interfacing component. If this can be done where would I wire up the MB Quart x-overs? I have the Bose stereo right now (until I have the money for a real system). Thanks
Each BOSE speaker is amplified and interfaces with head unit. You would need to purchase line level input outputs prior to replacing speakers. Honestly more effective to save $$$ and then replace all at once. BOSE is not the worst system out.......If only it came with a true subwoofer !!
Old 04-12-2001, 04:12 PM

Re: Re: simple swap

Originally posted by killrwheels

Each BOSE speaker is amplified and interfaces with head unit. You would need to purchase line level input outputs prior to replacing speakers. Honestly more effective to save $$$ and then replace all at once. BOSE is not the worst system out.......If only it came with a true subwoofer !!
Thats what I figuered.... of course they have to make it complicated.
Old 04-12-2001, 05:17 PM

If the speakers are already amplified and you wanted to do a speaker swap, all you'd need to do is cut the old speaker wires and connect the new speakers to the same one, right? Since the bose system speaker level signals are amped and are already running through a crossover, you wouldn't need to use any new crossovers, right?
Old 10-29-2001, 08:55 PM

nice pictures!

Very high-quality pics! What kind of camera did you use?

Originally posted by mdeal

Also, look at the picture labeled "Running wires up A-pillar" to see what it looks like completely removed, along with a sneak prevue of what the tweeter looks like.

Good luck
Old 10-29-2001, 09:00 PM

Building kicks does not require you to build a large kick infact they can sit back in more than the factory kick panel...i have my full dead pedel. Hit my web site to see a pic of the one kick.

If your looking for nice nice speakers cheap i have a friend selling orion hcca 6.5 componets that he used soley in a non driven car for comp for about 2 months. They retail for 800 bucks he is letting them go for around 300. Email me if your interested and i'll hook you up with him.

Dyn audio is nice. So is illusion but there horns arn't as clear as i would like without alot of tuning.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:05 PM

yo fellas, need advise here. I have a GXE, my A-pillar panels do not have tweeters behind them. What are my options in terms of mounting tweeters? Someone above said using the kick panels..Where do you get that, how much$, and any pics? Any other pics who had the custom install on tweeters on 5th gen, or 6x9s on rear shelf?
Old 10-29-2001, 09:08 PM

I too thought that each speaker is amplified, but this is not the case. I guess Nissan got cheap in the 5th gen and only individually amplified the rear woofer. After consulting with Dave B on the subject, Bose owners can swap out the tweeters with no problem. The impedence of the tweeters are 4 Ohms each(as well as the impedance of the other 4 midrange speakers). So swapping out the system may not be as difficult as other gens. If anyone with Bose does in fact swap out the tweeters, please post. I wanted to change mine as well, but don't have the money now.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:08 PM

Originally posted by Y2KMaxGXE-R
yo fellas, need advise here. I have a GXE, my A-pillar panels do not have tweeters behind them. What are my options in terms of mounting tweeters? Someone above said using the kick panels..Where do you get that, how much$, and any pics? Any other pics who had the custom install on tweeters on 5th gen, or 6x9s on rear shelf?
To put a tweeter in a gxe piller just use a whole saw to make the hole then custom mount it. You can put them in the kick. You can get q form kick panels for about 200 bucks. Custom ones range from 100-3000 depending what you wanna do. But your prob looking at 200-300. I acuallly have the a piller out of a gxe so we could mount the tweet in a way we wanted so it's easy to do. It's fully molded in.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:19 PM

Originally posted by max'n out

To put a tweeter in a gxe piller just use a whole saw to make the hole then custom mount it. You can put them in the kick. You can get q form kick panels for about 200 bucks. Custom ones range from 100-3000 depending what you wanna do. But your prob looking at 200-300. I acuallly have the a piller out of a gxe so we could mount the tweet in a way we wanted so it's easy to do. It's fully molded in.
oh I see...I guess tweeters are sold with grilles, just like the speakers, right? do you have any pics? I am actually looking @ budget options. From what you said, kickpanels kick azz expensive. Crutchfield has tweeters starting from 49.99 a pair.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:40 PM

oh I see...I guess tweeters are sold with grilles, just like the speakers, right? do you have any pics? I am actually looking @ budget options. From what you said, kickpanels kick azz expensive. Crutchfield has tweeters starting from 49.99 a pair.
Yeh sold with grilles and tweeters are speakers. No pics of that my page is full and i havn't got around to building my private page. Kickpanels are the way to go unless you wanna mount a horn. Or really big make a new dash with speakers intigrated into it. I don't think kicks are that expensive. Any tweet that runs 50 bucks i don't want but your talking to me. I would also stay away from crutchfield go to a store and find what you like. Putting a tweeter in the a piller is simple it just depends how far you wanna go with it like anything else.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:45 PM

hmm I dont mind a good sound, but not into competition, too good for student's budget. There're so much options out there, I just dont believe in putting $5,000 worth of stereo in smthg you get from A to B.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:49 PM

hmm I dont mind a good sound, but not into competition, too good for student's budget. There're so much options out there, I just dont believe in putting $5,000 worth of stereo in smthg you get from A to B.
I'm a poor college student too,well i am now. and 5k not gonna touch a ult comp system. Also it's not gonna cost you 5k to do a nice sounding system. I say drop about 1k-2k and your gonna have some good sound.
Old 10-30-2001, 01:26 PM

I'm a poor college student too,well i am now. and 5k not gonna touch a ult comp system. Also it's not gonna cost you 5k to do a nice sounding system. I say drop about 1k-2k and your gonna have some good sound.
nah, man. I already paid $700 for my headunit, amp&subz. I may invest another few hundred to upgrade speakers, tops. It makes sense to pay off the the car faster with the dough.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:02 AM

Has anyone specifically replaced the front tweeters and door speakers on a 2k+ without making any other mods? Did it work? I pulled my front pillars, 02' SE, and found the cheesy Clarion tweeter as rated 4 ohms. Someone earlier in this thread indicated that the door speakers may also be 4 ohms, I have not checked yet. If so, a swap should be easy, maybe MB Quartz Ref's.

I have already added an interface (linkmeup.com), RF Amp, and two 10's in a custom fiber glass box (sweet). The interface was routed to a Coustic X-over with F/R/Sub outs. However, until I take the time to add another amp and rerun GOOD speaker wire to the front, I would like to upgrade the front speakers.

If the fronts are factory amped at 4 ohms, then a front swap to a good set of $180-$300 speakers should give an incredible improvement.
Old 10-31-2001, 09:46 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I wonder how much would it cost to get a A pillar mold for the premium sound car and put it on base GXE...

Max
Old 10-31-2001, 10:14 AM

Originally posted by Maksim2000

I wonder how much would it cost to get a A pillar mold for the premium sound car and put it on base GXE...

Max
60 bucks
Old 11-02-2001, 01:36 PM

Yes, standard 4 ohm speakers will work in place of the factory speakers located in the front doors.

I installed MB Quartz References Series in my 2k2 last night. Incredible difference! I popped off the door panels, removed the old 6 1/2, cut the factory leads and ran it to the crossover. I installed the new Tweeter in the small traingular, plastic corner piece at the front of the door/top of panel (surface mount) and kept the factory tweeter. I did not want to run new wire to the MB tweeter if mounted outside the door. The crossovers for the MB's are VERY big. However, they fit perfectly with velcro self stick in the gap on the inside of the door panel just under the top of the door arm rest toward the front.

I got a deal on the speakers, I think, $199.00. The install took about 1 1/2 hours. Great detail and clarity compared to stock.

I would be happy to give suggestions for anyone looking to do the same swap. It is well worth it.
Old 05-24-2002, 05:23 PM

Does this mean that we can swap out the rest of the speakers too? or just the tweeters?
Old 05-24-2002, 05:31 PM

What is involved in replacing the tweeters DIY wise? Solder, or just attaching wires? Newbie at this sort of thing....
Old 06-29-2002, 01:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

tweeters

The problem with the audio system is the Clarion tweeters are worthless!

I replaced the tweeters with a pair of Polk EX3500! This made a huge difference in the overall sound quality of the system.
Old 06-29-2002, 04:55 PM

Originally posted by mhgsx
2 questions:

how does one remove the A-pillar to reveal the tweeter??

what size is the tweeter?

curious to find out what brand of speaker component sets others have used and how hard was it to wire and mount the tweets??
I just replaced mine with jl audio tweet's. They sound so much better than those clarion piece of shet's. I just removed the entire tweeter housing and cut the wires. I put double sided tape where the existing tweeter was and they work awesome
Old 07-19-2002, 03:06 PM

I have the same speaker set but 5.25" does it work on the 2k door panel, and I need some instruction if you can help me.

Thank you

EU
Old 07-20-2002, 11:02 AM

Originally posted by exunaja
I have the same speaker set but 5.25" does it work on the 2k door panel, and I need some instruction if you can help me.

Thank you

EU
Make a custom mount
Old 03-10-2003, 01:34 AM
teddibear703

so is the bose upgrade an actual upgrade? I always thought the bose upgrade was that they added a small sub in the back. Are the GXE speakers differnet from the GLE bose ones?
Old 08-01-2003, 12:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

NO GO ON JUST SPEAKER SWAPING!!!

BOSE uses a 1ohm system and after market speakers are 4ohm and 8ohm.. so using them in this system would cause the following.. i know i did it...

= speaker volume will diminish to less then half volume. amps will get hot and then cut off.

I assume bose paid there help more money to make it hard to work with then to actually make it sound good. SORRY TO BRAKE THE NEWS TO YOU GUYS. ( my family is AL & Ed;s employees so this is real world info ). JMA in CALI.
Old 10-10-2005, 02:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Just to be clear...

So... replacing the tweeters on a 2002 w/ bose is not possible, while replacing the tweeters on the base setup is? That is a shame... as I notice the weak tweeters on the bose system too.

Thanks.
Old 10-11-2005, 02:13 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

no, you cant replace the other speakers.. but the tweeters are 4ohm.. Thats what allows you to swap them. There are other more informative posts on this. It was a nice improvement to me. No harm to Bose amp. Again, the tweeters are standard clarion 4ohm drivers. The rest are .5-1 ohm.
Old 10-11-2005, 03:02 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks! It's hard to find other posts currently as the search doesnt work.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:00 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

doe they make better aftermarket 1ohm speakers to upgrade the bose cones in all four doors?
i also read in a few threads that the bose spakers are not that bad, its the amp that needs to be upgraded to improve sound clarity. any thruth to this?
Old 03-16-2017, 03:34 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Full System install 5th Gen

I have an GLE that came with Bose system, swapped everything out with Rockford Fosgate 6.5 comp and coax in the rear doors, took out the nose sub and used it as a " port " running 2 Skar audio ix 8s in ported box along side with Skar audio 5ch and for the HU kenwood. Tweeter size is 1inch which fit perfectly so you guys shouldn't have a problem fitting a 1inch tweet.