5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Drastic MPG Drop

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2002, 08:29 AM

Drastic MPG Drop

My MPG seems to have dropped rather drastically. I have a 2k SE, auto, ftsb, rsb, michelin sport a/s, K&N air filter, use Mobil one synth. oil.

I usually get 300 miles per fill up, when I noticed the problem, I got 250 miles on a tank, then I got about 230 on 12.7 gallons for 18 mpg, and now I have logged 100 miles after a half tank.

I am due for an oil change, could this be the problem? I use Mobil One Syth., so I don't think driving 3500 miles without a change would make my MPG drop from around 21 to 18...

I have used different gases, and I have been driving the same route, to and from work along I-95.

I'm getting my oil changed this weekend, I guess I will see if that fixes the problem. Could it be a sensor is messed up? For some reason I thought of the MAF sensor, maybe some oil from my K&N got on it, I don't know...

Anyone else have this MPG trouble? I have had the Auto-tranny tsb and brake rotor problems, so I was curious if anyone else may have dealt with this.

thanks, B....
Old 03-15-2002, 08:30 AM

I don't really have any input (sorry)... But I was wondering what the TSB fixes (and how i can check to see if it is a problem on mine)
Old 03-15-2002, 08:33 AM

NO HIJACKERS!!

check the thread above mine that says "Technical Service Bulletins inside..."

Originally posted by melteye
I don't really have any input (sorry)... But I was wondering what the TSB fixes (and how i can check to see if it is a problem on mine)
Old 03-15-2002, 10:12 AM

Re: Drastic MPG Drop

Originally posted by bcannon
My MPG seems to have dropped rather drastically.....
Are you noticing any other problems? Poor acceleration? Stumbling? Knocking?
Old 03-15-2002, 10:22 AM

Re: Re: Drastic MPG Drop

Originally posted by Thorzdad

Are you noticing any other problems? Poor acceleration? Stumbling? Knocking?
What do you mean my stumbling? i do noticed poor accelaration at times but no knowcking as far as I know. Why does this have something to do with getting bad MPG. Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.
Old 03-15-2002, 10:36 AM

Re: Re: Re: Drastic MPG Drop

Originally posted by Menacer
What do you mean my stumbling? i do noticed poor accelaration at times but no knowcking as far as I know. Why does this have something to do with getting bad MPG. Is there a way to fix it? Thanks.
Stumbling...as in...press the accelerator and it sort...well...stumbles forward. As if you are pushing and lifting rapidly on the pedal.
Things like that can direct the mechanic to certain possibilities. Dirty or bad fuel injectors. Bum fuel pump. Burnt plugs, etc.
On the other hand, if the car were running in top condition, one would look elsewhere for answers...Poor alignment...heavy right foot...
Old 03-15-2002, 11:35 AM

I haven't noticed any problems with stumbling or the car lurching forward after steeping on the gas...engine seems to be fine...

I do have a heavy right foot, but I had the same heavy foot while getting 300 miles a tank...

I think the ailignment is off, the car pulls right...I see if I can get the ailgnment fixed...

thanks...
Old 03-15-2002, 11:50 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I would bet my spleen...

that one of the stations where you've filled up has some funky formulated gas. Oxygenated maybe?

or you may have a O2 sensor about ready to freak.. at least that will throw a code if it does.
Old 03-15-2002, 11:57 AM

Cheap suggestions for after your oil change -- clean air filter (if needed), replace PCV valve, clean throttle body, find a trusty mechanic (ha ha) and get injector cleaning or a tune up of sorts????
Old 03-15-2002, 12:34 PM

->

when I get my oil changed, I'll ask the dude to check if the car is throwing a codes back...thanks again...
Old 03-15-2002, 02:39 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

air filter..

ooops, that was obvious.. if you havent changed it and have more than 15K miles, you should inspect it. Mine was dirty enough to change in both my max and pf at 15K. I think they were $15
Old 03-15-2002, 09:12 PM

How many miles on it? Most importantly, since you adv that you have a lead foot(that leads to poor mileage), what kind of gas have u been filling up on? Are you aware that Nissan specifies only premium fuel(93 Octane) in the Max?
Old 03-16-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by melteye
I feel for you man, this monday i am taking my car in so they can check my brakes, maybe do the tranny TSB, but more importantly check the fuel effieciency, I get 230-235 on a full tank also. I dont man, and i drive slow as *****. But all the Nissan Service people gonna do is just look at the car.
Roger
Old 03-16-2002, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My MPG seems to have dropped rather drastically....I have used different gases, and I have been driving the same route, to and from work along I-95.
thanks, B....
Some people are gonna think I'm on crack, but I believe that your car develops a habit on the gas you use. I use QuikTrip (In Atl and MidWest) and my car works good. I went to Fla and had to use Cheveron, milage sucked. Just my opinion.
Old 03-16-2002, 02:46 PM

I get terrible gas milage too. About 230 per tank. I asked about it during my last oil change but they said I would need an appointment to see if my car was throwing any codes. I don't drive fast, mostly around town. I am blaming the Atlanta gas (I use 93 octane). I haven't noticed any other problems as far as stumbling etc...
Old 03-16-2002, 10:35 PM

My MPG seems to have dropped rather drastically. I have a 2k SE, auto, ftsb, rsb, michelin sport a/s, K&N air filter, use Mobil one synth. oil.

Anyone else have this MPG trouble? I have had the Auto-tranny tsb and brake rotor problems, so I was curious if anyone else may have dealt with this.

thanks, B....
Yes, I had very similar problem. My milage wasn't that great from the time car was new (~18 mpg) in mixed driving but I thought it had reasons: auto, Canadian gas and my driving habbits . Last couple months it got noticably worse (~16 mpg) and recently I've got Service Engine Light. Pulled codes myself - there were two of them, both related to oxygen sensor. Dealer replaced it under warranty and now I'm at 3/4 of the first tank and having 380km on odometer - usually it was 330. Actually, I've NEVER seen this kind of number at this gas gauge position in my car before. So, TimW suggestion seems reasonable - you'd have that sensor replaced soon too. BTW, car has 30000 miles on it.

Mike, 2kGLE.
Old 03-17-2002, 07:42 AM

Re: Re: Drastic MPG Drop

dam i have that popcharger cone intake, could my massive drop in mpg be related to that? ANyway i am gonna have a grand wastes of day tommorrow at Nissan. OH yeah, my little gas light has been on for 14 miles. 237miles on one tank. I think i should fill it up now, agian.. again.. and again

Roger
Old 03-17-2002, 09:20 AM

Re: Re: Re: Drastic MPG Drop

Originally posted by radpp16
dam i have that popcharger cone intake, could my massive drop in mpg be related to that? ANyway i am gonna have a grand wastes of day tommorrow at Nissan. OH yeah, my little gas light has been on for 14 miles. 237miles on one tank. I think i should fill it up now, agian.. again.. and again

Roger
I don't think it is related to the pop charger, unless putting the popcharger has stressed your computer/sensors in a way (possible). Find a good mechanic and whine to him

I had engine light problems, and dropping RPMs to the point the car was stalling. All got worse after putting a pop charger in. One trip to my mechanic, reprogrammed the computer, and all is well now (been 6+ months). Getting 22-23 mpg even with my lead foot
Old 03-17-2002, 09:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

mileage

...just to add to everyones arguement...my gas mileage sucks ballz too. i do drive rather aggressively but not ALL THE TIME....and whats this tranny tsb everyone is talking about? ill check the tsb board.....and another thing..i KNOW my alignment is off and i NEED new tires, but the **** about that is my local Nissan Dealership doenst do alignment, wtf?? i mean its a big dealership too and they do everything else.....except alignment...that sucks....anyway...