5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Please help!! Steering wheel control wires

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 11:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Please help!! Steering wheel control wires

Who knows if anyone will actually see this see this but if you do I need help!

I am installing an after market stereo in my 03 maxima. I’ve searched other threads on here and found the wires I need to connect. But I have an extra wire that is red and black (shown below) no one else seems to have this wire. I am curious as to if I can just ignore it and or what is it’s purpose.

Old 04-21-2024, 04:46 PM

most people don't even mess with that and get an adapter.

on my car I just grounded the brown wire when I installed my radio so I can cycle through the mpg, outside temp, and DTE info in the cluster. my audio control for the steering wheel isn't utilized though...
Old 04-21-2024, 05:21 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by uptownsamcv
most people don't even mess with that and get an adapter.

on my car I just grounded the brown wire when I installed my radio so I can cycle through the mpg, outside temp, and DTE info in the cluster. my audio control for the steering wheel isn't utilized though...
yea thanks for the tip I’d just love to have the steering wheel controls. Im just waiting on the adapters for the main harness. Even if I was to buy an adapter for the steering controls even the online instructions for the adapters only show the three other wires and have no mention of the red/black one. I’ll give wiring the red and blue/ yellow wires to a cut up aux cord a shot and ignore the red/black one and see what happens supposedly you don’t need to buy the adapters for some stereos just wire in an aux cord and plug that into the w/r port on the stereo.
Old 04-22-2024, 07:15 AM

I had ordered my stereo from crutchfield and they had an adapter for steering wheel control harness, I didn't feel like i really needed it so I didn't bother getting it.
Old 04-26-2024, 07:52 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by uptownsamcv
I had ordered my stereo from crutchfield and they had an adapter for steering wheel control harness, I didn't feel like i really needed it so I didn't bother getting it.
Just wondering if your car has the Bose system in it and if you needed to use a line output converter.