5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

01 still running hot

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2021, 11:12 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

01 still running hot

My 01 Maxwell was running hot and at that time just thought it was the thermostat replaced it realized the seal on the radiator cap was bad and replaced it but it was still running hot come to find out I had a leak in my radiator so I replaced it. Still running hot! Sitting and idling it does not run hot but within driving a half a mile down the road it runs hot I don't know what else to do please help
Old 10-08-2021, 11:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Was the cooling system bled? Could be an air bubble in the system. When the car is cold (hasn't been started for a while), remove the radiator cap and start the car. Turn the heat up all the way and let the car idle for 10 minutes or so, keeping an eye on the temp gauge. Top up the radiator with distilled water or 50/50 coolant mixture.

If that doesn't work, it could be something more serious like a water pump issue. I'm guessing your fans are working since you say it only overheats after you start driving it and not while it's sitting still.
Old 10-13-2021, 06:22 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Yes I did that and it was still running hot after. The fans work and I bought a water pump but I'm being told that it could be a engine temperature sensor and I don't know what to do cause that would be much easier than the water pump but I'm tired of guessing and spending money and it's still not fixed.
Old 02-01-2022, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Mander84
Yes I did that and it was still running hot after. The fans work and I bought a water pump but I'm being told that it could be a engine temperature sensor and I don't know what to do cause that would be much easier than the water pump but I'm tired of guessing and spending money and it's still not fixed.

I am not sure if you've figured this out by now but I have a couple thoughts...
On my old 00 max the coolant temp sensor and the actual sensor that provides a reading to the dash were independent sensors and I would expect the same on the 01. You could use a Bluetooth obd2 tool and app like torque to see if the coolant temp sensor is agreeing (temp above normal operating temp) with what the temp the gage sensor is showing on your dash. Essentially verify you're actually overheating.

2nd, I would suggest removing your thermostat and test it in water on the stove at the spec(can't recall what the stock ones begin opening,maybe 170 deg f but double check me on that) temp to verify it's opening. They are designed to fail open but it could also fail closed on rare instances and no flow will make it run hot.

Hope these suggestions help. I agree to no throw money at your car, if you can test and identify the issue... start there.