5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

If the car sits long enough, does the factory alarm go off when the battery dies?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2021, 09:34 AM

If the car sits long enough, does the factory alarm go off when the battery dies?

I'm just wondering if the factory alarm goes off if the battery drops to a certain level.

I don't park near where I live (NYC life) so my battery has gone completely dead on two occasions when I didn't go take the car out for a spin. I know the alarm went off both times when I used my battery booster pack to help get the car started. I'm hoping that it doesn't go off when it's dying.

If it does, i will probably invest in one of the ground battery quick disconnects.
Old 03-22-2021, 08:38 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by TallTom
I'm just wondering if the factory alarm goes off if the battery drops to a certain level.

I don't park near where I live (NYC life) so my battery has gone completely dead on two occasions when I didn't go take the car out for a spin. I know the alarm went off both times when I used my battery booster pack to help get the car started. I'm hoping that it doesn't go off when it's dying.

If it does, i will probably invest in one of the ground battery quick disconnects.
It goes off when the V is too low on power restore.

Just leave a 10m wrench in the car.
Old 03-23-2021, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
It goes off when the V is too low on power restore.

Just leave a 10m wrench in the car.

Good to know, thanks. I was worried it may have been like those old school aftermarket alarms that would go off when the voltage drops. I had a camaro that used to do that, LOL.
Old 04-26-2021, 02:49 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Haha...thanks Tom,you asked a question I wondered about also. My Maxima is now my 2nd car and doesn't see much use. Wondered if I regularly wake the neighbours when the battery runs down.
Old 04-30-2021, 07:13 AM

I'll add some info after gaining experience in the remote start / alarm business:

If the factory alarm is armed and the car loses battery power, on powerup it will still remain armed (saved in memory). So when the hood or door is open, the system will detect an intrusion and trigger the alarm.

Couple ways you can disarm the alarm:
  1. Unlock with factory fob, that should stop the alarm (granted I haven't tested this method on these cars).
  2. Unlock the driver's door using the key. The key lock cylinder contains a switch that sends an arm/disarm signal (with lock/unlock respectively).
Old 04-30-2021, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by yellow_cake
I'll add some info after gaining experience in the remote start / alarm business:

If the factory alarm is armed and the car loses battery power, on powerup it will still remain armed (saved in memory). So when the hood or door is open, the system will detect an intrusion and trigger the alarm.

Couple ways you can disarm the alarm:
  1. Unlock with factory fob, that should stop the alarm (granted I haven't tested this method on these cars).
  2. Unlock the driver's door using the key. The key lock cylinder contains a switch that sends an arm/disarm signal (with lock/unlock respectively).

My battery was dead dead dead as could be so I did use the door lock to unlock to get in to pop the hood. Once i connected the booster, the alarm went off which makes sense since it was "armed" when the battery died.
Old 04-30-2021, 06:21 PM

From years of installing alarms in maximas
Factory alarm does not go off if battery drains.it will go offf if hood is popped and car is jumped
Aftermarket alarm will go off(Viper) if battery drops below 9 volts one of the reasons Viper added a auto start function when it senses low voltage.
Vipers will drain the battery unless you add 10a diodes on all the power connections and start wires.