5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nissan maxima vq30de aftermarket ecu suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2021, 05:18 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Nissan maxima vq30de aftermarket ecu suggestions

Hello everyone straight forward here I am planning to install a turbo kit on my 02 nissan maxima with vq30de but I can't figure out what ecu to use since the factory ecu is untuneable I know how to tune myself so I need an ecu that gives me access to the fuel and spark tables so I can be able to tune it myself the car will be my daily driver so It will be on low boost maybe 4-7psi that's the limit on stock internals as I have read through the forums I am still planing so I want to get everything right so I don't face any obstacles in the build I have seen some people suggest a piggyback which I think is ridiculous because it's basically from what I have read interrupts the signal to the ecu to give you what you want but then the ecu will try and correct it back so I think it's never save since the ecu and the piggy back are always fighting each other that's why I decided to go with after market ecu option so I can actually look at the fuel/spark tables and be able to modify them for boost but I haven't had much luck finding anything for vq30de maxima it's all for vq35 so if anyone have any suggestion it's appreciated thanks in advance
Old 02-06-2021, 02:25 PM

There have been reports of people tuning 00-01 factory ecus. I assume its also with nisprog/romraider, but the few I've seen didn't really share much information.
Old 02-07-2021, 10:42 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by schmellyfart
There have been reports of people tuning 00-01 factory ecus. I assume its also with nisprog/romraider, but the few I've seen didn't really share much information.
So there is nothing i can do about it either installing the turbo kit and hoping the motor don't go Kapoom or just keep it stock I refuse to believe that I am willing to buy an aftermarket ecu holly ,haltech whatever I just need the full guide which ecu which harness...etc
Old 02-07-2021, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hasan Ahmed
Hello everyone straight forward here I am planning to install a turbo kit on my 02 nissan maxima with vq30de but I can't figure out what ecu to use since the factory ecu is untuneable I know how to tune myself so I need an ecu that gives me access to the fuel and spark tables so I can be able to tune it myself the car will be my daily driver so It will be on low boost maybe 4-7psi that's the limit on stock internals as I have read through the forums I am still planing so I want to get everything right so I don't face any obstacles in the build I have seen some people suggest a piggyback which I think is ridiculous because it's basically from what I have read interrupts the signal to the ecu to give you what you want but then the ecu will try and correct it back so I think it's never save since the ecu and the piggy back are always fighting each other that's why I decided to go with after market ecu option so I can actually look at the fuel/spark tables and be able to modify them for boost but I haven't had much luck finding anything for vq30de maxima it's all for vq35 so if anyone have any suggestion it's appreciated thanks in advance
If your Max is an 02, then you have a VQ35. If your Max is an 01, then you have a VQ30de. If so, you can use Greddy EMU.
Old 02-07-2021, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The Wizard
If your Max is an 02, then you have a VQ35. If your Max is an 01, then you have a VQ30de. If so, you can use Greddy EMU.
actually where I live maximas from 99 up to 07 can come with a vq30de and a vq35 not our topic .as for the greddy emu I guess i have no choice but to use it however I don't have any experience with those I checked the website there is no model described as maxima in there which one is going to work for my application?
Old 02-07-2021, 09:23 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Your engine is actually a vq30deK

00-02 have vq30deK’s. Only difference I think is the variable intake which adds a lot more horses
Old 02-08-2021, 08:36 AM

There are options
Haltech and harrness from Darren Surratt
Emanage Ultimate and a harness
Old 02-08-2021, 08:50 AM
Administrator

actually where I live maximas from 99 up to 07 can come with a vq30de and a vq35 not our topic .as for the greddy emu I guess i have no choice but to use it however I don't have any experience with those I checked the website there is no model described as maxima in there which one is going to work for my application?
Where the hell do you live? The Greddy EMU is tried and true and works well with the VQ30. I should know, I have it installed on my SC'd Maxima. There is even a detailed writeup on how to install it and tie into the existing wire harness.
Old 02-10-2021, 02:56 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by The_Fixer
There are options
Haltech and harrness from Darren Surratt
Emanage Ultimate and a harness
care to mention mote details which haltech ecu exactly 500,1000,20000...etc+plus a link to which harness I Googled this more than I can remember and i can't find a clear info it's either use this and that and I end up Googling it and the same nothing clear ,for example I went to emu website chose nissan didn't find maximas for whatever reason that is decided to look at any other model with vq30 engine guess what not a single one on the website and like that I just end up chasing my tail .
Old 02-10-2021, 03:05 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Where the hell do you live? The Greddy EMU is tried and true and works well with the VQ30. I should know, I have it installed on my SC'd Maxima. There is even a detailed writeup on how to install it and tie into the existing wire harness.
middle east to be precise Qatar not alot here know what these maximas can handle let alone tuning it using a unichip or a piggy back ,people around here lean more on toyota's and standalone motec ecus that's why so would you care to share the link of the detailed write up anything is useful for me at this point
Old 02-10-2021, 10:11 AM
Administrator

middle east to be precise Qatar not alot here know what these maximas can handle let alone tuning it using a unichip or a piggy back ,people around here lean more on toyota's and standalone motec ecus that's why so would you care to share the link of the detailed write up anything is useful for me at this point
Here you go!

https://www.vqpower.com/images/howto...xEUWriteup.pdf
Old 02-13-2021, 10:26 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks this is great help but strange the fact that there is a whole detailed write up on the installation for a vq30de engine yet on their website there is no unit for the vq30de in any of the nissan models or vehicles is there a another model that will fit with the vq30de or like a universal unit that is going to work just fine?
Old 02-13-2021, 02:17 PM
Administrator

Thanks this is great help but strange the fact that there is a whole detailed write up on the installation for a vq30de engine yet on their website there is no unit for the vq30de in any of the nissan models or vehicles is there a another model that will fit with the vq30de or like a universal unit that is going to work just fine?
All I can say is, the Greddy EMU is tried and true for the VQ30 engine. A couple of pioneers here on the org figured out many years ago how the wiring should work. Dandymax perfected it and made the detailed write-up that I linked you to. Myself and many others have had great success with it. Search the Org and read up in the Forced Induction section.
Old 02-13-2021, 03:40 PM

Just remember to do the diode mod on it so you dont kill the coils
Old 02-14-2021, 12:21 PM

I assisted in developing the kernel to write 2000-2001 model year ECUs. I've reprogrammed one personally. I don't know what market you're in, but even if your ECU is newer it could still be tunable, if not, swap in a USDM ECU.