5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Power Steering Pump Drama

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2021, 07:22 PM

Power Steering Pump Drama

Hey Maxima Orgers,
I decided to tackle a leaking P/S when I noticed a tea saucer size p/s fluid stain on my garage floor. Well I decided to rebuild but my 4th and 5.5th Gen around the same time so I ordered a GATES P/S seal kit #348413 for the 4th Gen and GATES P/S seal kit #348377 for the 5.5th Gen. Well I ran into issues loosening the to tensioner bolts under the pulley. I've done this before when I've changed belts and went to an UDP. Some how it kicked my anus! I had to grind down my sockets since there wasn't to much room between the access holes on the P/S pulley and the socket allowing the socket to set square down on the bolt head! I eventually got them and removed the pulley to make it easier to remove just above the R/H tie rod chassis hole! Disassembled the pump inspected everything and I noticed the shaft bearing NTN 6202LR was worn and rough. The leaking shaft seal behind it must've washed all the bearing grease out the bearing causing it to wear prematurely as well and was evident with grease around the circlip. Once cleaned and ready to go back together I notice the O-rings look thinner, the Seal was definitely the wrong size (Too Big) from Kit# 348377. So I tried locating a bearing and seal found the bearing from GRAINGER for $9.45. I happened to open the other Kit# 348413 and everything was correct. So Rock Auto's catalog even shows the P/S pumps being identical (Why would the seal kit be different?).
Secondly I decided I didn't have the time to order a pump assy from Rock Auto so I did what I normally wouldn't do and that's buying parts from O'Reilly (They're just as bad as Autozone). I bought a CARDONE p/s pump (New) for $179...Rock Auto has them for $100 but the numbers didn't look the same! Long story short it didn't fit! The tensioner plate wouldn't fit around the snout, too damn big at least by 1/8" to 1/4"! So that'll be returned and lesson learned research, research, research! It's like you can't trust anyone! I spent $240 on a Rock Auto Hitachi p/s pump with pulley and tensioner! I've got that bearing coming and I'll build that pump (OEM 5.5th Gen p/s pump) for the 4th gen
**So anyone ordering a P/S kit for a 2002-03 VQ35DE P/S pump please order GATES seal kit# 348413**
**Stay OEM if you don't really know! Here's the Rock Auto Hitachi # PSP0002**
Old 01-05-2021, 07:01 AM

I'm not saying rock auto is bad but when you order from rock auto, you don't know who or where it's coming from. I know of two different name store franchise by me that ships for rock auto. Rock auto just uses them to drop ship your order. Those store not only ships for rockauto but also have its own retail store fronts. So its possible that you have some walk in customer returns that gets thrown back into inventory with wrong parts. If you order from rock auto enough you'll notice that sometimes the parts come in packaging that's beat to crap. Next time you get a package from rock, look at the mailing label and search and see where it came from, chances are the result will show you a rock auto store and some other name store at that location.
Old 01-06-2021, 01:21 AM
Bad *** Newb

I'll cut the belt before wasting time on the tensioner LOL. That's 8 dollars well spent.
Old 01-10-2021, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by fd3rew
I'm not saying rock auto is bad but when you order from rock auto, you don't know who or where it's coming from. I know of two different name store franchise by me that ships for rock auto. Rock auto just uses them to drop ship your order. Those store not only ships for rockauto but also have its own retail store fronts. So its possible that you have some walk in customer returns that gets thrown back into inventory with wrong parts. If you order from rock auto enough you'll notice that sometimes the parts come in packaging that's beat to crap. Next time you get a package from rock, look at the mailing label and search and see where it came from, chances are the result will show you a rock auto store and some other name store at that location.
Haven't recieved any used crap from them and I usually get what I order. Their program was incorrect as to what Gates seal kit was for the 02-03 is all I was saying. I ordered the Hitachi and got the Hitachi and of course it fit like a glove. I don't cut the old belts they were still in excellent condition. Those belts might be 5 years old but they go in the trunk as emergency belts just in case one fails or I run over sometime & it gets damaged. So I rebuilt the 2003 p/s new seal kit and bearing (Grainger) and that's getting installed in the 4th gen which is leaking! The 4th gen p/s pump gets rebuilt and placed on the shelf for the future or emergency!
Old 01-10-2021, 02:17 AM

Originally Posted by CMax03
Haven't recieved any used crap from them and I usually get what I order. Their program was incorrect as to what Gates seal kit was for the 02-03 is all I was saying. I ordered the Hitachi and got the Hitachi and of course it fit like a glove. I don't cut the old belts they were still in excellent condition. Those belts might be 5 years old but they go in the trunk as emergency belts just in case one fails or I run over sometime & it gets damaged. So I rebuilt the 2003 p/s new seal kit and bearing (Grainger) and that's getting installed in the 4th gen which is leaking! The 4th gen p/s pump gets rebuilt and placed on the shelf for the future or emergency!
ABSOLUTELY this. What I've concluded on this Issue as it seems to be several misconceptions. @Cmax03 most people wont tackle a pump rebuild. As simple as it is. I use the Napa rebuild/ re-seal Kit. Ill have to update with the part Number (Insert part #) . A new pump is rarely needed On most anything Nissan. Hitachi Unless metal is the fluid, a 20yr old pump can be rebuilt to perfect spec for under $30 dollars. I have pictures of me doing this, however I have not been able to find them.

Last edited by Reality sucks; 01-10-2021 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by CMax03
...So I tried locating a bearing and seal found the bearing from GRAINGER for $9.45.
Is this the bearing you got from Grainger?