5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

6-Speed swap

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2020, 10:23 AM

6-Speed swap

I did a 6-speed swap on a 2003. After I was done and ready to fire it up, the key will not go into the ignition. Any ideas?
Old 02-20-2020, 12:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

ive heard of it not starting, but as far as why the key wont go into the ignition itself, sound like its either the wrong key, igtnition thinks that the auto transmission that was there is not in park or steering wheel lock is messing with it.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:23 PM

After I finished doing all the heavy work I moved it from the driveway to the street. I hadn't connected anything or put the dash back together as yet. I used that same key to unlock the steering so we could push it onto the block.
Old 02-20-2020, 02:42 PM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by maxima-junky
After I finished doing all the heavy work I moved it from the driveway to the street. I hadn't connected anything or put the dash back together as yet. I used that same key to unlock the steering so we could push it onto the block.
Did you use the 6 speed ecu, ignition, immobilizer ,and key ?

Because that may help you.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by krismax
Did you use the 6 speed ecu, ignition, immobilizer ,and key ?

Because that may help you.
I agree, going back to my knowledge, the swap rehires everything to be transitioned over. The ecu ignition transmission key and body control module all talk to each other. If they have not been all changed to what came from the donor it’s a Problem.
Old 02-20-2020, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by panda_1
I agree, going back to my knowledge, the swap rehires everything to be transitioned over. The ecu ignition transmission key and body control module all talk to each other. If they have not been all changed to what came from the donor it’s a Problem.
Absolutely nothing you just mentioned makes any sense. His problem is related to the shift lock and having a 20 year old AT car, that is all. What you are suggesting is absurd and asinine. There is absolutely zero reason to replace all of those modules. Exactly where did your "knowledge" come from? Facebook? And I don't care how much bolt-on bull$hit you have, that means nothing to me. This is a manual transmission, not a computer controlled transmission. It has one sensor, that is all. And if you don't believe me, that just means you also don't know what an FSM is.

OP, talk to this guy; "aackshun", he'll get you squared away.

Christ, is it just me or are forums just going to absolute sheisse lately?

Old 02-21-2020, 12:11 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Originally Posted by User1
Absolutely nothing you just mentioned makes any sense. His problem is related to the shift lock and having a 20 year old AT car, that is all. What you are suggesting is absurd and asinine. There is absolutely zero reason to replace all of those modules. Exactly where did your "knowledge" come from? Facebook? And I don't care how much bolt-on bull$hit you have, that means nothing to me. This is a manual transmission, not a computer controlled transmission. It has one sensor, that is all. And if you don't believe me, that just means you also don't know what an FSM is.

OP, talk to this guy; "aackshun", he'll get you squared away.

Christ, is it just me or are forums just going to absolute sheisse lately?
All those things are DIFFERENT on a 6 speed car ,that he got the ECU from. He has a parts car he should swap those things.

Each one of those things will solve a potential problem. When somebody has a problem ,i give somebody an answer that solves 5 problems,that they didn't know they had. I am sick of seeing these cars in junk yards , that have fires from people messing with stuff and doing JUST enough to have something work. Make it a true 6 speed. If he has one code in NEW YORK, he doesn't get to drive it.
Your right it is a interlock problem ,but i am trying to solve more than that problem. And this guy will have other problems.

All those things should be changed and the cluster, Like i said he has all those parts and they all present a problem if he doesn't change them.
Old 02-21-2020, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by krismax
All those things should be changed and the cluster, Like i said he has all those parts and they all present a problem if he doesn't change them.
I'll buy it if it's coming from you then, you know you stuff. It still doesn't sit right with me, judging by the limited research I did when I was considering mating a 6sp to my swap motor!
Old 05-06-2020, 01:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

How hard was the swap?
Old 05-06-2020, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by maxima-junky
I did a 6-speed swap on a 2003. After I was done and ready to fire it up, the key will not go into the ignition. Any ideas?
how hard was the swap?
Old 05-06-2020, 05:23 PM

I would understand the key getting stuck in the ignition but not going in makes no sense. he must have somehow broke the ignition switch, that's all I can think of.....

even the chipless key that I have in case I lose the chipped one goes in the ignition with no problem.