5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

My 02 I35 just did some crazy stuff, now its dead?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2018, 12:27 AM

My 02 I35 just did some crazy stuff, now its dead?

When I started my car today, the Brake and battery light illuminated. I turned it off and on, but it didn't go off until i pressed the gas. I got on and off of the freeway and the slip, abs and airbag light came on and the car wouldn't go more then 2 mph.I pulled over to park, and noticed when I pressed the gas all the lights went away,but it still wouldn't move,so I turned it off and tried to restart but only got clicking noises.. I think it may be the alternator.. When the tow truck got there, they checked my battery and told me it was good,but they didn't think it was the alternator either. They told me it could be something other electrical..Has anyone had this happen? If it is the alternator,how much would it cost for parts and labor?
Old 10-17-2018, 01:31 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by Shawn33
When I started my car today, the Brake and battery light illuminated. I turned it off and on, but it didn't go off until i pressed the gas. I got on and off of the freeway and the slip, abs and airbag light came on and the car wouldn't go more then 2 mph.I pulled over to park, and noticed when I pressed the gas all the lights went away,but it still wouldn't move,so I turned it off and tried to restart but only got clicking noises.. I think it may be the alternator.. When the tow truck got there, they checked my battery and told me it was good,but they didn't think it was the alternator either. They told me it could be something other electrical..Has anyone had this happen? If it is the alternator,how much would it cost for parts and labor?
alternator is dead and battery needs recharged
Old 10-17-2018, 03:16 PM

same thing happened to me a few years ago. mine was a bad alternator. The voltage regulator was allowing it to spike up to 18v. but it would only happen at random times, the rest of the time it ran perfect. Im guessing the ECU goes into a safe mode to protect itself from the high voltage.

Its easy to diagnose if you get one of those cheap bluetooth OBDii adapters. You can monitor the voltage from your phone while driving
Old 10-17-2018, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by chopstic
same thing happened to me a few years ago. mine was a bad alternator. The voltage regulator was allowing it to spike up to 18v. but it would only happen at random times, the rest of the time it ran perfect. Im guessing the ECU goes into a safe mode to protect itself from the high voltage.

Its easy to diagnose if you get one of those cheap bluetooth OBDii adapters. You can monitor the voltage from your phone while driving
Thanks. Infiniti dealer wants 450 for the part alone -labor.. A local nissan mechanic shop only wants 350 for parts and labor. Does it matter if I choose a nissan repair shop over the Infiniti dealer? I have an i-35 which is the same as a Maxima, but the Infiniti dealer rep informed me that it was not the same alternator.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:22 PM

Thanks. Infiniti dealer wants 450 for the part alone -labor.. A local nissan mechanic shop only wants 350 for parts and labor. Does it matter if I choose a nissan repair shop over the Infiniti dealer? I have an i-35 which is the same as a Maxima, but the Infiniti dealer rep informed me that it was not the same alternator.
Alternator is shot!
Old 10-17-2018, 10:25 PM

Check Nissan parts website and see if the part numbers are the same. I'd reckon they are the same and if you get this party theyll likely give you one from neither that's a reman. Like a Sentra. Dealers don't know a whole lot about part interchanging.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:56 AM
Father of the 00 VI

Thats a good deal for $350 .
Old 10-19-2018, 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by tundrawolf89
Check Nissan parts website and see if the part numbers are the same. I'd reckon they are the same and if you get this party theyll likely give you one from neither that's a reman. Like a Sentra. Dealers don't know a whole lot about part interchanging.
This is true. Nissan dealerships do not have the ability to check if parts are interchangeable. The part numbers are differrent by design. The same exact part will have a different number if it's a different color, model, and sometimes year. My dealer is cool so they will pull parts and compare if you ask.

Last edited by Theslaking; 10-19-2018 at 03:32 AM.