5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Approaching the end

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 09:56 AM

Approaching the end

Hey all,

Maxine I think is winding down her useful life. Economy is not great. The idle issue remains despite 2 IACVs and 1 ECU purchase. Passenger side CV needs replaced. Motor still runs sound, but is just shy of 300k. I bought at 95k and have not changed the clutch, so assuming that wasn't done in the first 95k, that has to be wearing down eventually too. Passenger side window motor is dying. Etc. More things than I can address with the time I have.

Unfortunately I think finding another 5th gen might be difficult. I am a student so can't really take a long trip to drive one back. While that would be my ideal purchase, a 5th gen that I could eventually move all my parts to, I am thinking it might be time to get off the Maxima train after three of them

I definitely want to stick with Nissan though, and standard trans is a must. There is a std. 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec-V w/ 120k nearby, so was wondering if anyone could comment on them? Long term reliability, frequent problems, things like that. The one thing that scares me is I know what to expect with a 4th or 5th gen max, but don't have the same knowledge about any other car.
Old 02-13-2018, 06:01 PM

ffcbairn,
Sorry to hear this but also happy to see that you made it to 300k. I have an 02 SE Maxima in manual with about 105k and would be very happy to see this car to +200k.
Unfortunately the list of Japanese sedans in manual is shrinking every year. Good luck finding your next vehicle.
Old 02-13-2018, 10:41 PM

2007-2008 g35 sedan with a 6 speed. If you can find one, awesome cars. G37 sedan with a 6 speed is a bit expensive compared, but also very nice.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:54 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by ffcbairn
Hey all,

Maxine I think is winding down her useful life. Economy is not great. The idle issue remains despite 2 IACVs and 1 ECU purchase. Passenger side CV needs replaced. Motor still runs sound, but is just shy of 300k. I bought at 95k and have not changed the clutch, so assuming that wasn't done in the first 95k, that has to be wearing down eventually too. Passenger side window motor is dying. Etc. More things than I can address with the time I have.

Unfortunately I think finding another 5th gen might be difficult. I am a student so can't really take a long trip to drive one back. While that would be my ideal purchase, a 5th gen that I could eventually move all my parts to, I am thinking it might be time to get off the Maxima train after three of them

I definitely want to stick with Nissan though, and standard trans is a must. There is a std. 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec-V w/ 120k nearby, so was wondering if anyone could comment on them? Long term reliability, frequent problems, things like that. The one thing that scares me is I know what to expect with a 4th or 5th gen max, but don't have the same knowledge about any other car.
QR25 is garbage. It will require a complete rebuild to even be driveable. Cylinders/rings are already toasted from precat and headgasket will be leaking soon if it isn't already. At high mileage the balance shaft will destroy itself. They're ditching it for a reason.

Get a G35.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:49 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
QR25 is garbage. It will require a complete rebuild to even be driveable. Cylinders/rings are already toasted from precat and headgasket will be leaking soon if it isn't already. At high mileage the balance shaft will destroy itself. They're ditching it for a reason.

Get a G35.
And that's why I'm asking. G35 would probably be an all around nicer car too. I will see what's available for them in the area.

ffcbairn,
Sorry to hear this but also happy to see that you made it to 300k. I have an 02 SE Maxima in manual with about 105k and would be very happy to see this car to +200k.
Unfortunately the list of Japanese sedans in manual is shrinking every year. Good luck finding your next vehicle.
While I don't know the 35 like I know the 30, I would say 200k easy as long as you do your maintenance if the long term quality is anywhere near the same. I have had a 98 that I wrecked at 320k, a 96 whose odometer quit somewhere over 200k, and finally this 2000 who is sitting at 292k. In addition to being able to keep my parts, a newer 5th gen would be ideal because it's just a downright sound piece of machinery, even with the common flaws that pop up.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:26 AM

And that's why I'm asking. G35 would probably be an all around nicer car too. I will see what's available for them in the area.

While I don't know the 35 like I know the 30, I would say 200k easy as long as you do your maintenance if the long term quality is anywhere near the same. I have had a 98 that I wrecked at 320k, a 96 whose odometer quit somewhere over 200k, and finally this 2000 who is sitting at 292k. In addition to being able to keep my parts, a newer 5th gen would be ideal because it's just a downright sound piece of machinery, even with the common flaws that pop up.

I am around the same position right now (although I thought the 2000 wouldn't make it past 2017), after doing some reading, it seems that the VQ35's in the RWD applications are slightly more reliable because they do not share the pre catyltic converter problems. But the 07-08 (or 09) VQ35HR have oil burning problems.

I would love to replace the 2000 with another '95-01. The relaiblity, the looks (I know subjective), and the familiarity especially when working on them. See what's available in the market when the time comes, those G35's do have a nice interior and I think they are easier to find with the 6 speed (Which is the thing I love about the 2003). I have also heard nice things about Honda Accords with manual transmissions around 5th gen years.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:50 PM

Get a G35.
Are the g35's good cars? Never driven a rear wheel drive car as i think their slower than front wheel drives.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

There is a std. 2006 Sentra SE-R Spec-V w/ 120k nearby, so was wondering if anyone could comment on them? Long term reliability, frequent problems, things like that. The one thing that scares me is I know what to expect with a 4th or 5th gen max, but don't have the same knowledge about any other car.
The b15 sentra forums are just as decent as the forums here. Don't worry about lack of information.
I have a stock '06 altima and previously had a stock '02 altima both with the QR25, but both autos. I gutted the precats to avoid destroying the heads as soon as I purchased them and also made sure the screws on the butterfly valves were lock-tited in forever.
Both are serious issues you need to catch before bad things happen. If you're serious about it definitely do a compression test and see what the numbers are. If you can trust whoever the seller is, ask them about the above issues.

The '02 ran to 245 and the '06 is currently at 237. Minimal issues. Mostly the same sensor / fuel pressure type issues as the maxi.
I would make note that pulling that motor or trans is a huge pain in the ***. It's easier to unbolt everything and drop the whole subframe with everything on it.
There's always talk about swapping internals from a QR20 to get a wild compression ratio (like 11.x - 12.x) but you'll need cams and a good flash. The numbers I've seen are pretty wild.
edit: You could also remove the balance shafts if you're inclined.

Last edited by WesCV04; 02-14-2018 at 07:41 PM.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:48 AM

Get a G35.
yea i was gonna say those sentra's are not great....either
Old 02-15-2018, 11:03 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by maxinout93
Are the g35's good cars? Never driven a rear wheel drive car as i think their slower than front wheel drives.
As long as the oil has been topped up, yes. 03 has a lot of stupid **** that goes wrong (take a look at the long TSB list), but they're very solid after that.

6 spds have the same issue as FWD until later 05s when the CD009 was used, but if it's an earlier model test drive it anyway and see. I have an 03 (and 05). The only thing they need as far as maintenance is rear calipers, suspension arms when the bushings fail, engine mounts depending on driving habits and wheel bearings (fronts are stupid easy to replace). Precats can clog up like usual, but you can gut them or install test pipes. Make sure to get a sport model with LSD AND make sure it works (it's VLSD and will burn out if heavily used).

I see a lot of reports of the rev ups burning heavily, but it's really down to luck and maintenance, IMO. I'm sure most of the DEs burn just like the maximas (minus precat consumption) as per reports and mine burns quite a bit. HRs are better, especially with bolt ons, but make sure the oil gallery gasket has been replaced or factor it into the cost of the purchase.

MPG is terrible on RWD, so keep that in mind lol. The gearing really doesn't help (add 500 rpms compared to the maxima for any gear).

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-15-2018 at 11:18 PM.