5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Side market light and daytime lights don't work

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 11:44 AM

Side market light and daytime lights don't work

My side marker lights and my halo rings for my retrofitted headlight stopped working at the same time. is there a fuse for This? My low beams and fog lights work just fine, I also hear the daytime running lights don't have a fuse it's a relay thing under the steering wheel and my dash light and my a/t shifter lights for the gears is not working either but all the other lights in the interior work. I temporarily fixed it because the brake lamp 10a fuse was blown so i replaced it, the lights started working again for the interior them 5 seconds later it blows again....I replace it with another fuse then blows again instantly any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 12-27-2017, 07:57 PM

This is not necessarily going to be easy. You have a modified car, so God only knows how the wiring has been modified. You have a short circuit blowing fuses and there is no standard cut and dried way of finding the short. You buy a bunch of fuses and start doing trial and error guesses to find the short.

You mention that the daytime running lights don't work. Do the halo lights serve as the daylight running lights of is this still the stock Nissan high beams?

In a stock Maxima, the side marker lights are powered by the tail light fuse and tail light relay. Is this what the halo lights are connected to?

The car has a fuse and a relay for the left headlight and another fuse and relay for the right headlight. These are all located under the hood, as is the tail light relay.

To find a short circuit, first start by removing or unplugging all things that use the fuse that blows. In the case of the brake light fuse that would be the light bulbs (don't forget the high mount brake light), the brake light switch, the cruise control cancel switch, etc. Then turn on the power. If the fuse doesn't blow, start reconnecting/plugging things one at a time an monitor the fuse.

More importantly, tell us what year car you have. Each year of the car has differences. Let us know if you have a Canadian car. Tell us about things that figure into the problem like the radio, the transmission, etc.
Old 12-28-2017, 04:18 AM

It's a 2002 maxima and I live in Massachusetts the radio works fine and all the other lights inside except for cluster light and as control lights but the digital display works i also noticed the parking light on the front headlight corners don't work either...what do you think it could be sounds like the daytime running light relay harness thing under the steering wheel I could be wrong
Old 12-28-2017, 04:46 AM

This is what I'm talking abiut
Attached Thumbnails Side market light and daytime lights don't work-screenshot_20171228-074515.png  
Old 12-28-2017, 01:56 PM

My mistake it's the parking light I'm having trouble with and and the side marker lights not the daytime running lights and the dash light and shifter light it seems there tied to this 10a fuse under hood called stop lamp that's the fuse that keeps blowing instantly
Old 12-29-2017, 01:12 PM

OK - The daytime running light thing is straightened out.

Let's discuss some other mis-information, specifically "this 10a fuse under hood called stop lamp".The stop light (or brake light) fuse is NOT under the hood. It is in the cabin in the dash. The brake light fuse is not a 10 amp fuse - it is a 15 amp fuse.

What is under the hood is the TAIL LIGHT fuse. The fuse block cover has the label TAIL LAMP. The tail lamp fuse is a 10 amp fuse.

The side marker lights, the parking lights and the dash lights (which includes the shift lever indicator lights) are all powered through the TAIL LAMP fuse. So you evidently are blowing the TAIL Lamp fuse.

As you mentioned originally, you have halo lights that are not working either. These are not Nissan factory lights, so I suspect that whoever installed them tapped into the wire for the side marker or parking light, probably on both sides of the car. Find the wire splices for the halo lights and you may have found the short problem.