5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Intermittent vibration at higher speed when turning right

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 11:36 AM

Intermittent vibration at higher speed when turning right

Im about ready to throw the towel in on my 03 SE 6 speed with 174k... I do love the car, but I just dumped $2600 on a new transmission bearing that was supposed to fix the issue. Fast forward a month later and the issue is back. Took to said shop and they claim it's not the tranny, even though symptoms are almost identical. Went to another shop and they're "guessing" it's a wheel bearing. I also called my mechanic where I grew up and he thinks it's the axle. Anyone been down this rabbit hole yet and should I just dump this thing soon? Thanks
Old 06-12-2017, 07:03 PM

You have identified all but one of the key suspects - transmission bearings, wheel bearings, and axles. "Tires and wheel balancing" is possibly the most critical item, and it's missing from your list.

However, assuming your wheel balancing is OK, then I strongly suspect one or both of your axles is/are worn out. The CV axles are a big problem at this age of our cars. I am talking from my own experience with front end vibration; I just replaced my axles again - now on my 3rd set of axles in 143k miles.

Read this thread https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...placement.html ...... and search - there is a lot more on the subject of axle replacement out there.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:08 PM

One more thing: Most likely, your right axle is going bad. You should be able to feel which side is the vibration coming from.
Old 06-13-2017, 03:56 AM

+1 on the "tire and wheel balancing"...I recently had that whirring noise from the from the front passenger side, along with jerking steering wheel, and pulling to the left...that is until I got a set of four new tires, balanced with alignment check, now all is well Hope you can find the culprit soon!