5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Engine noise after shutoff

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2017, 03:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Engine noise after shutoff

I have a problem with an engine buzz like noise after engine shut down. I read about the electric motor mounts but also read that the 02 autos only have a front electric mount. Is that true? I disconnected the front mount but the noise continued. It sounds like its coming from the rear of the motor anyway. If there is a rear motor mount plug does anyone know where it would be located? I'm going to keep searching after I get off of work. Thanks.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by jfredlocks
I have a problem with an engine buzz like noise after engine shut down. I read about the electric motor mounts but also read that the 02 autos only have a front electric mount. Is that true? I disconnected the front mount but the noise continued. It sounds like its coming from the rear of the motor anyway. If there is a rear motor mount plug does anyone know where it would be located? I'm going to keep searching after I get off of work. Thanks.
I don't know about a buzz, but mine makes clicking type noises which is normal. I think that's the throttle body based off my knowledge. I've never heard a buzz before though.
Old 03-31-2017, 09:52 AM

One or two mounts is an unresolved question. Some people say their car has 2 electric mounts, others say their car has only one. Maybe there was a change in the manufacturing line. I suppose the only way to tell would be to look under the car and see it there is a wire going to the mount.

On my 2000 Max, the rear mount connector was on the side over the transmission down low. No guarantees it would be in the same place on your car.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:59 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Okay, that's good to know. Thanks a lot you guys, appreciate the feedback.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:07 PM

I had a similar issue, turned out to be the evaporator canister solenoid near the driver's side rear wheel that was humming after shut off...I thought it was coming from the engine as well until I got under there and could hear and physically touch the vibration. Btw I have an 02 SE auto max, and the only electric mount was the front one

https://maxima.org/forums/5th-genera...shut-down.html

Last edited by jjubert; 03-31-2017 at 02:11 PM.