5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Issue after clutch replacement

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 09:50 AM

Issue after clutch replacement

Hi all,

I had my clutch replaced at a shop maybe a year ago. The OEM lasted from '03 till 15, around 160k on the odometer. That's just for background. After getting it replaced, it was a lot better, though harder to shift into gear than I recalled. I figured I needed a fluid change and let it go.

Now I live in a different state and have noticed other things and have a question or two:

1. When I start the car and, of course, push the clutch in, upon letting up off the clutch pedal I feel the car move slightly and the engine RPMs change. This is even in neutral.

(I noticed this only after swapping out my vacuum hoses and getting an aftermarket check valve, but I'm sure it was doing it to some degree before.)

2. The shifting is difficult, even after a fluid change. The fluid was old, but clean - no shavings or metal bits as far as I could see.

To my knowledge, the clutch fluid has never been drained or swapped, and I haven't bled it, and doubt the guys at the shop did, either. I wouldn't have had someone else do it, but I had major spine issues and could never have done it.

Any ideas? I know how to bleed it, thanks to the .ORG, but I've also read varying opinions on clutch pedal adjustment.

Thanks, and yeah - I did search but didn't see anything that really matched.

Jack
Old 12-29-2016, 10:27 PM

It sounds like the new clutch may be a little stronger than the last one. The pedal travel isn't enough to fully disengage the clutch. I had this issue when I stepped up to a performance clutch. There are adjustments you can make at the pedal to adjust for it that allow you to get a little more push to disengage the clutch further. It's kind of a can of worms once you start adjusting it though. There are multiple adjustment points that are all related.

I have a good understanding of it but I'm not really up to typing a long description at the moment. Do some research on "clutch pedal adjustment" for these cars and I'll answer any questions you may have. Be prepared to spend some time up side down under the dash.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:55 AM

Hey Derrick,

Thanks. I checked the clutch pedal and the FSM's adjustment procedure. I do seem to have more play at the top of the pedal travel.

The FSM doesn't seem to cover anything other than adjusting the clutch interlock switch. I'll keep checking the .ORG to see what other adjustments I can find.

Jack

Originally Posted by Derrick2k2SE
It sounds like the new clutch may be a little stronger than the last one. The pedal travel isn't enough to fully disengage the clutch. I had this issue when I stepped up to a performance clutch. There are adjustments you can make at the pedal to adjust for it that allow you to get a little more push to disengage the clutch further. It's kind of a can of worms once you start adjusting it though. There are multiple adjustment points that are all related.

I have a good understanding of it but I'm not really up to typing a long description at the moment. Do some research on "clutch pedal adjustment" for these cars and I'll answer any questions you may have. Be prepared to spend some time up side down under the dash.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:57 AM

However, ever since that student crushed my spine and I had to have more than a little titanium installed in MY chassis, upside down under the dash may mean pulling the driver's seat.

I do hate not being able to bend.

Jack