5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Project Free BMW Rims Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2016, 09:12 AM

Project Free BMW Rims Restoration

So I found some rough BMW rims that seem to be off an early 90s e36 in the garbage!! Sadly they are only 15x7J but its still 0.5 wider than my stock 16x6.5J. Going to restore them by sanding and painting them with a gold face, maybe bronze. Mighty Car Mods inspired me to do the DIY rim painting. I know I'll need 120 to 114.3 adapters but that will just give me more stance lol. Hoping to run them for my winters because I'm not about the steel rim life.
Here is how they look right now. I only have 2 sanded down at the moment.

Here is how I hope they will turn out!

Hoping to get them done this weekend and ill add the pics. Any rim painting advice would be highly appreciated!
Thanks for tuning in and have a good one!
Old 11-30-2016, 12:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One man's trash is another man's gold, I suppose! (in this case, literally)

This may be a dumb question, but did you make sure that the 15" wheels will fit over your front brakes? You might wanna do a quick test fit - I know you can't fit them on your existing studs without the conversion, but I'm thinking the fitment issues will be diameter, more than offset.
Old 11-30-2016, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by LA02MAX
One man's trash is another man's gold, I suppose! (in this case, literally)

This may be a dumb question, but did you make sure that the 15" wheels will fit over your front brakes? You might wanna do a quick test fit - I know you can't fit them on your existing studs without the conversion, but I'm thinking the fitment issues will be diameter, more than offset.
Not a dumb question at all! It may be a close fit but there seems to be enough room. Ill definitely have to do a quick test fit.