5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Recent issues with stalling/ blinking lights/ weird shut offs

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 08:13 AM

Recent issues with stalling/ blinking lights/ weird shut offs

2002 GXE; 98k miles

Sitting in traffic (completely stopped), car stalls/shuts off. A few clicking noises from dash area. Car restarted fine and drove without any issues. Trip odometer reset and time on clock changed (not reset back to 12:00.....something random like 1:17).

Driving, car stalled while driving. Restarted fine and ran without further issues.

While driving, tachometer RPMs raise and lower, no noticable difference in throttle speed. Press accelerator and no response, then does respond and car seems to be fine afterwards.

While driving, AT Check light flashes briefly. Car exhibits the above mentioned tachometer issue. Car appears to want to stall. Pump accellerator and car returns to normal.

Drive car several miles. Park and shut off. Power locks do not respond. Open door and no lights. Door lock switch does not respond. Battery appears dead. Go to start car, no response. Slight turn of steering wheel and dash lights up and car starts as normal. Odometer reset and clock changed to some random time.

While driving, let off of accellerator to enter an exit and car shuts off - all dash lights on (battery, brake, SES, AT Check and air bag lights). Put car in neutral, restart. First attempt stalls out. 2nd attempt, car starts and returns to normal.

While driving, AT Check light starts flashing. Air Bag light comes on. No other noticable differences.

Car sat for most of 2015 (due to time constraints on getting inspection, family issues, and having 2 other cars to drive)

Recent repairs:
Altenator (and belt) & Battery - mid dec 2015.
Evap Emission switch (the one in the charcoal box) - mid dec 2015.

Replaced MAF (end of dec 2015) - had the P1800 code and thread seemed to suggest replacing MAF would be easiest and best solution. SES would not go out - read that ECU had to be reprogrammed when replacing MAF. When took to dealer to have reprogrammed, was told MAF was defective (voltage across 2 wires?) Put old MAF back on, cleared codes, drove 120 miles and SES remained off. Car passed emissions testing and ran fine for over 2 months.

SES eventually returned, but car has been running fine until about 2 weeks ago.

Recent codes:
P1800 VIAS
P0021 (this code seems to pop anytime I have traction issues - like tire hop due to wet pavement. I've cleared it in the past and it never comes back until I have similar traction issue). I did recently have tire hop while at stop sign, slightly uphill, on wet pavement.

I cleared both codes after first stall issue (stalled while at complete stop in traffic). Since then, the SES has remained off, but I have had the above issues.

None of the above issues really have me worried except for the complete stall with taking an exit ramp. I can deal with stalls in traffic or at a stop, but I'm not cool with a car dying while doing 40 mph!

Do these point to an issue with the VIAS? Is this the infamous IACV that I see popping up on the forum? Is it an ECU/ECM issue?
Old 03-25-2016, 10:19 AM

With weird electrical issues like that, first place I'd check are the grounds. Make sure the battery and alternator connections are clean and tight as well.

5.5 Maxi's don't have an IACV.
Old 03-25-2016, 12:34 PM

there is worn or broken ground or a ground mounted in the wrong spot or bolt hole.
Old 03-28-2016, 07:44 AM

Originally Posted by mclasser
With weird electrical issues like that, first place I'd check are the grounds. Make sure the battery and alternator connections are clean and tight as well.

5.5 Maxi's don't have an IACV.

Battery cables are clean, and I took them off and re-seated after the first issue of shutting off while at stop. I guess I'll have to recheck the alternator connections, but I've been driving it daily since replacing the alternator in mid-Dec. I guess something could have worked loose over the past 3 months.

Originally Posted by cdoublejj
there is worn or broken ground or a ground mounted in the wrong spot or bolt hole.
Anything in particular I should check?

I have jiggled all visible wires and harnesses while the car was idling, and didn't see anything loose - at least all the wires that I have touched or worked close to. Nothing seemed to be loose, and nothing caused any change in idle or anything like that.

I haven't touched anything on the car since Dec 31st when I put the old MAF back on, cleared codes, drove 120 miles and passed the emissions test.

I'm really at a loss as to where to even start looking. I wish it would pop a code or something to give me an idea of where to look or something to replace. As it is, it's just so random. It's like I'm looking for a ghost.
Old 03-28-2016, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by qstick777
2002 GXE; 98k miles
Drive car several miles. Park and shut off. Power locks do not respond. Open door and no lights. Door lock switch does not respond. Battery appears dead. Go to start car, no response. Slight turn of steering wheel and dash lights up and car starts as normal. Odometer reset and clock changed to some random time.
As suggested above, this kind of failure points to an intermittent electrical problem. When this happens again, get your multi-meter out (better yet, have it ready) and check ground continuity, battery voltage and its distribution, etc.

Re. "car shuts off while driving": The key suspects are VIAS (leaks or other failures); fuel delivery problems; bad Cam/Crank sensor and/or TPS. Also the Revolution Speed Sensor.

The worst part is that your problem seems to be very intermittent. So, you can only troubleshoot it when it happens, right there and then.
Old 03-28-2016, 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by maxiiiboy
As suggested above, this kind of failure points to an intermittent electrical problem. When this happens again, get your multi-meter out (better yet, have it ready) and check ground continuity, battery voltage and its distribution, etc.

Re. "car shuts off while driving": The key suspects are VIAS (leaks or other failures); fuel delivery problems; bad Cam/Crank sensor and/or TPS. Also the Revolution Speed Sensor.

The worst part is that your problem seems to be very intermittent. So, you can only troubleshoot it when it happens, right there and then.

Thank you.

I guess I can start with all the fuses and stuff like that. I wish it would only happen when hitting a bump or something else that would make it easier to narrow it down to something loose, but has happened while sitting completely still.

Has happened with headlights on and off. Radio on and off. Defrost/AC on and off.

As previous codes were VIAS and Camshaft sensor, I may as well try those first. I was hoping that it would throw another code.

I believe the VIAS code popped back in Dec. IIRC somebody mentioned that if VIAS code pops, clears out and only comes back intermittently, it could actually end up being MAF issue so I decided to start there. I believe I've had the VIAS code a few times in the past, but it has always cleared and never come right back.

I replaced the Camshaft sensor a few years ago, but as mentioned before, seems to only pop if I have traction issues/wheel hop. I clear it out and it never comes back.

Not sure I can troubleshoot when it happens.....as it only happens whiling driving....not sure people would appreciate me holding up traffic

Besides, multi-meter and electrical issues aren't exactly my forte.

Really hard to take it somewhere for a diagnostic if I can't get it to reliably replicate the issues.

I may end up dropping it off at my buddy's shop and see if he wants to drive it for a few days. Not sure how you get somebody willing to look at a car that can potentially shut off while driving.....it's a little bit of a safety hazard!
Old 07-08-2017, 02:44 PM

Have you ever figured out this problem because I have practically the same issue except for stalling.

i have a 2000 5spd man w/ 221k, I do have a system and run 4 amps/2 subs/6 speakers/2 battery's(I have checked all grounds for anything related to the system) also battery and alternator, it started the other night and has been doing it all day today intermittently.
i also checked with radio ac and headlights on/off it would still flash/flicked battery,brake, and abs lights and headlights would cut out and radio too. My cars had issues with rpm drops when I push the clutch in,on start up it would drop out and stall so I have to rev to keep from stalling on start ups . The car is starting to do it again... the lights have only come on while driving,my alternator is charging 14.08 at idle, battery in the trunk is old tested it months ago it was still okay and the battery under the hood is fairly new and tested fine under load.

tomarrow I'm going to see if I can watch voltage change when driving, possibly belt is slipping? Pretty sure it's tensions good but going to recheck, not really sure where else to start if none of these seem like the cause of the problem.

any help would be great.
Old 07-10-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Maximakehd
My cars had issues with rpm drops when I push the clutch in,on start up it would drop out and stall so I have to rev to keep from stalling on start ups . The car is starting to do it again....
On start up - according to Nissan - ive read is that the fuel injectors deliver fuel simultaneously(all at once) Then once the engine cranks over and catches it switches to sequential(one at a time per cylinder) injection.
So im have this issue in my 2001 A/T and thought it could be a vacuum issue somewhere. No codes either.

Last edited by maximatech12; 07-10-2017 at 01:55 PM.
Old 07-11-2017, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by maximatech12
On start up - according to Nissan - ive read is that the fuel injectors deliver fuel simultaneously(all at once) Then once the engine cranks over and catches it switches to sequential(one at a time per cylinder) injection.
So im have this issue in my 2001 A/T and thought it could be a vacuum issue somewhere. No codes either.
i actually left a vacuum hose off once by accident and the car was running lean but the rpm drops did not exist with this air leak, as soon as I hooked the hose back up it came back. Seems air related

anyways I broke the transmission yesterday from a burnout....so dropping the tranny first pretty sure my clutch grenaded
Old 07-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Maximakehd
i actually left a vacuum hose off once by accident and the car was running lean but the rpm drops did not exist with this air leak, as soon as I hooked the hose back up it came back. Seems air related

anyways I broke the transmission yesterday from a burnout....so dropping the tranny first pretty sure my clutch grenaded
transmission broke haven't diagnosed exact break yet lol but this will be the end of my maxima so I won't need any more help haha picking up wrx tomorrow.