5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.
View Poll Results: Get frontend alignment after new front Struts?
Yes
92.86%
No
7.14%
Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

New Front End Suspension - Alignment needed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2016, 06:14 AM

New Front End Suspension - Alignment needed?

2001 i30 w/ 208k miles

I've been dealing with stalling (I'll post that in another thread, LOL), but the ride has gotten really bad, so I decided to install some Monroe Quick-Struts on the front since the ones that were on it were likely original.

People say that you should get an alignment afterwards and there was also instructions saying that you should spray paint the old positions for matching up.

I'm completely confused by this, however. Can the Struts be installed in more than one possible position? I mean, the 3 bolts on the top are fixed, but then the two lower bolts can only possible fit in one place, right? I'd understand completely if it was adjustable in some way, but I don't see it. What am I missing?

So, is it necessary? I mean, I DO have pretty new decent tires on them, so I don't want to have the fronts get cut down to metal and have to be scrapped, but I don't want to have to get it to the dealer and hope they get it done on time and spend more money on a car whose end is getting pretty near.

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2016, 09:18 AM

I say yes. There is a reasonable probability that an alignment isn't needed, but an alignment is a lot cheaper than new tires. You can get an alignment done at so many places for less money than the dealer.
Old 01-25-2016, 09:40 AM

Yes, don't go to the dealer. If your LCAs are in need of replacement, do them first, because after them you definitely need an alignment. They are $75 a side on eBay. Tie rod ends as well. 208K on original LCAs and tie rods will mean a lot of slop in there.
Old 01-25-2016, 12:56 PM

Yes, any time suspension work is done, you should always get an alignment. Plus alignments are pretty cheap. Go to Les Schwab and it's maybe $30, $40, or $50; I forgot how much, but around that.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:53 AM

I dropped off my car at the Dealer this morning to have the alignment done and I'll try to remember to post the results for those who are considering the same thing.

I know it sucks to have to take it somewhere and pay money when the vehicle seems to drive fine (and mine does SEEM to drive straight), but here is my justification:

While my 16" tires aren't the most expensive tires in the world (I'd be getting an alignment check every year if I had those $500/each Telsa P85D tires), the thought of wearing down one edge of the tire down to metal is not an appealing thought as that would mean that you could be stuck with a flat tire somewhere.

I know some people go overboard and have it checked every 6 months and I guess that's okay if that helps you sleep at night, but unless you get a lifetime deal, that would not only be a pain, but very expensive too. I finally got my 15 year Miata's alignment adjusted for the first time (3 sets of tires, no crazy uneven wear) and I have no idea when the last time my i30 got its alignment checked here at 208k.

BUT to answer my original question, this is what "clicked" into my head. If hitting a large pothole or "hitting the curb" can throw off your alignment (unless its all just a scam to make money), then replacing the suspension will likely throw off your numbers.
Old 02-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I say yes. You can get an alignment done at so many places for less money than the dealer.
Originally Posted by rbaksi
Yes, don't go to the dealer.
Originally Posted by IsaacFall
Yes, any time suspension work is done, you should always get an alignment. Plus alignments are pretty cheap. Go to Les Schwab and it's maybe $30, $40, or $50; I forgot how much, but around that.
Originally Posted by kirkhilles
I dropped off my car at the Dealer this morning

how much does it cost for an alignment at the dealer?

Last edited by cornholio; 02-24-2016 at 08:36 AM.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:33 AM

Just got back from the dealer. For some reason, the results weren't given to me (saw them, guess it wasn't stapled), but they said it was pretty far out of spec, but is now "pretty close to zero".

Cost was pretty good for a dealership. For the "4 Wheel" alignment (intentionally in quotes for obvious reasons) was $85 and I was able to use a 15% off coupon on their website.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:44 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by kirkhilles
Just got back from the dealer. For some reason, the results weren't given to me (saw them, guess it wasn't stapled), but they said it was pretty far out of spec, but is now "pretty close to zero".

Cost was pretty good for a dealership. For the "4 Wheel" alignment (intentionally in quotes for obvious reasons) was $85 and I was able to use a 15% off coupon on their website.
That's why when they want to charge 4 wheel price, I tell them that only two is possible and I'm not paying for four. The price always comes down lol. 100 (standard here) drops to 60.

Some places still have lifetime alignment for cheap. Paid 135 for sister's maxi.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 02-24-2016 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:52 PM

^I tried that but it's a 4 wheel alignment machine and they're going to charge what it costs.
Old 02-25-2016, 04:57 PM

If it were a tire shop then I'd say 2 wheel but I knew the dealer would say that they only do 4 wheel. Best bet is to instead look for coupons for dealer. Got 15% off by printing one thing