5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Camshaft position sensor issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 06:51 AM

Camshaft position sensor issue

So quick run down of whats been going on.

My car has been doing this weird ilde drop like it wants to stall and then it started shutting off on me every now and then. every so often it can take a little while to start up. So i read up on it and i presume camshaft position sensor. My tranny started giving issues so i decide to change that out first. Car is running tranny seems fine so far.
i decide to buy the cam shaft sensors and crank shaft sensors from auto zone since i blew nearly 1k on getting the tranny and bushings right. i change out the cam shaft sensor but not the crank yet but cleared the code and drive the car and it seems fine fot the initial drive.

then the bogging came back and now it is hard to start again but this time I'm not getting a code, would changing out the crank position sensor fix the issue or is my issue somewhere else?
Old 01-14-2016, 10:07 AM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by BLACKKILA.GTR
So quick run down of whats been going on.

My car has been doing this weird ilde drop like it wants to stall and then it started shutting off on me every now and then. every so often it can take a little while to start up. So i read up on it and i presume camshaft position sensor. My tranny started giving issues so i decide to change that out first. Car is running tranny seems fine so far.
i decide to buy the cam shaft sensors and crank shaft sensors from auto zone since i blew nearly 1k on getting the tranny and bushings right. i change out the cam shaft sensor but not the crank yet but cleared the code and drive the car and it seems fine fot the initial drive.

then the bogging came back and now it is hard to start again but this time I'm not getting a code, would changing out the crank position sensor fix the issue or is my issue somewhere else?
Unplug crank sensor and see if the bogging happens. If doesn't, then I'm betting maf. CPS and MAF are tricky ****ers.

If you buy the CPS you could return it if it doesn't work. Just keep it really clean

I advocate junkyard everything in these cases LOL. They're small and become gifts :P

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 01-14-2016 at 10:10 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Same issue you had, Thank God for AAA lol because I was stranded on saturday with this problem. Mines was the cam shaft sensor, crank sensor, and needed spark plugs.
I also cleaned the trottle body just to be on the safe side. be running fine every since.
Hope this info helps.
Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
Unplug crank sensor and see if the bogging happens. If doesn't, then I'm betting maf. CPS and MAF are tricky ****ers.

If you buy the CPS you could return it if it doesn't work. Just keep it really clean

I advocate junkyard everything in these cases LOL. They're small and become gifts :P
\

hahaha i haven't ran into any maxims yet at the junk yard.. i should start looking harder. but i did change my crank sensor and found metal shavings on it. i have to test the car out today to see if that helped. then ill check the maf.. luckily i have an extra one
Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by biglittle28
Same issue you had, Thank God for AAA lol because I was stranded on saturday with this problem. Mines was the cam shaft sensor, crank sensor, and needed spark plugs.
I also cleaned the trottle body just to be on the safe side. be running fine every since.
Hope this info helps.
spark plus are new but I'm thinking i should re gap them, and i just changed out all those sensors.. gonna go for a test run today and see what happens
Old 01-15-2016, 01:56 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by BLACKKILA.GTR
spark plus are new but I'm thinking i should re gap them, and i just changed out all those sensors.. gonna go for a test run today and see what happens
Correct plugs should never need gapped, though.