5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Upgrade clutch

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2015, 06:13 AM

Upgrade clutch

My throwout bearing of my car is stock. So i need to replace the whole clutch on my car.
Question is should i go stage 1 clutch with a lightweight flywheel. The brand is xtd. Or just stick with the oem clutch and keep the flywheel thats in now ? Its a 2000 maxima. Pretty much all stock beside for exhaust. Any opinions ?
Old 07-08-2015, 09:34 AM

I ment to say shot. Not stock. The tob is shot
Old 07-08-2015, 01:18 PM

I would just do a stock clutch. If you aren't adding any horsepower to the car then it really wouldn't be a reason to get a stage 1. Replaced the TOB and decided to swap out the clutch with a stage 1 and I kicked myself cause it was a waste of money. Clutches just transfers the power to the tranny.
Old 07-08-2015, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by iflexsteel
I would just do a stock clutch. If you aren't adding any horsepower to the car then it really wouldn't be a reason to get a stage 1. Replaced the TOB and decided to swap out the clutch with a stage 1 and I kicked myself cause it was a waste of money. Clutches just transfers the power to the tranny.
is it harder to drive then the oem? And u kept stock flywheel?
Old 07-09-2015, 06:52 AM

My flywheel was shot and you can't resurface the dual mass flywheel. That's why I went to a billet aluminum flywheel and a new stage 1 clutch. JWT has great stuff and I highly recommend them. The clutch is just a tad stiffer than oem. Hardly noticeable.

I should mention that I went to a stage 1 clutch because those are the only sprung clutches available. Oem clutches aren't sprung, the flywheel is.

Last edited by rebelhell; 07-09-2015 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by rebelhell
My flywheel was shot and you can't resurface the dual mass flywheel. That's why I went to a billet aluminum flywheel and a new stage 1 clutch. JWT has great stuff and I highly recommend them. The clutch is just a tad stiffer than oem. Hardly noticeable. I should mention that I went to a stage 1 clutch because those are the only sprung clutches available. Oem clutches aren't sprung, the flywheel is.
noticable differant as far as performance ? And is it hard to drive ?
Old 07-09-2015, 07:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Dual mass flywheel assumes a 6-speed and the Vq35 motor. The 2001 and below maximas have the simpler single mass flywheel.

The only way to increase performance with a clutch change is to use a lightened flywheel. The engine will rev more freely and therefore accelerate faster. Lightened flywheels affect drivability......the stock heavy-ish flywheel makes engaging the clutch smooth as butter. It becomes a bit more work with a light flywheel.

A beefier clutch only makes sense if you plan to significantly make more power, like SC or turbo. A beefier clutch is tougher to drive with, too.

If you were to have a beefed up clutch AND a lightened flywheel, the easy to drive factor would be mostly gone.
Old 07-09-2015, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
Dual mass flywheel assumes a 6-speed and the Vq35 motor. The 2001 and below maximas have the simpler single mass flywheel. The only way to increase performance with a clutch change is to use a lightened flywheel. The engine will rev more freely and therefore accelerate faster. Lightened flywheels affect drivability......the stock heavy-ish flywheel makes engaging the clutch smooth as butter. It becomes a bit more work with a light flywheel. A beefier clutch only makes sense if you plan to significantly make more power, like SC or turbo. A beefier clutch is tougher to drive with, too. If you were to have a beefed up clutch AND a lightened flywheel, the easy to drive factor would be mostly gone.
thank you thats the response i was looking for down to the point about driveability and performance
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM

Originally Posted by carlosvq30
My throwout bearing of my car is stock. So i need to replace the whole clutch on my car.
Question is should i go stage 1 clutch with a lightweight flywheel. The brand is xtd. Or just stick with the oem clutch and keep the flywheel thats in now ? Its a 2000 maxima. Pretty much all stock beside for exhaust. Any opinions ?
00 maxima?

That AE clutch kit people rave about.

Or Exedy Stage 1.... NOT the OEM replacement.... i repeat Exedy Stage 1 kit. OEM replacement is limp in my opinion... almost as bad as the XTD kit.

Do not use the XTD clutch.

TOB?
Shop around, National brand TOB's (Advanced/oriely's carry them) have what I've been using w/ no problems.

Lightweight fly?

Ebay brand is fine, I had one for quite some time, only sold it because, i got rid of the 5mt.

Drivability of the forementioned combo?

Nothing of note.
Only a n00b will complain about drivability of an Exedy stage 1 and a lightweight flywheel and shouldn't be giving opinions on parts because they have no experience in this dept.
Old 07-09-2015, 09:17 AM

No real noticeable improvement in performance and it's not any harder to drive than oem. It is a significant weight reduction, and I guess it revs slightly faster now. The main benefit to me was to save money on that flywheel. Billet aluminum was actually cheaper than oem. Even with the oem single mass flywheel there is still a weight savings, if you care about such things.
Old 07-09-2015, 10:03 AM

Yeah 2000. I may look into ae clutch kit
Old 07-09-2015, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by aackshun
00 maxima? That AE clutch kit people rave about. Or Exedy Stage 1.... NOT the OEM replacement.... i repeat Exedy Stage 1 kit. OEM replacement is limp in my opinion... almost as bad as the XTD kit. Do not use the XTD clutch. TOB? Shop around, National brand TOB's (Advanced/oriely's carry them) have what I've been using w/ no problems. Lightweight fly? Ebay brand is fine, I had one for quite some time, only sold it because, i got rid of the 5mt. Drivability of the forementioned combo? Nothing of note. Only a n00b will complain about drivability of an Exedy stage 1 and a lightweight flywheel and shouldn't be giving opinions on parts because they have no experience in this dept.
yeah i saw that cheap xtd ebay clutch i wasnt even going to bother with it
Old 07-09-2015, 10:43 AM

Can i use a 350z clutch without doing any mods to get it to work on a 2000 maxima?
Old 07-10-2015, 08:24 AM

Whats better luk or exedy?