5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Cruise Control Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2014, 03:05 PM

Cruise Control Problems

I have a 2000 I30 and suddenly the cruise control is not working. It turns on and off as I can see the green "cruise" light on the dashboard, but the "cruise/set" button is not engaging the cruise control.

I use a local mechanic who is fairly good. One option is to drop the car off and hopefully he can diagnose the cause. The problem with this is diagnosis time can get expensive if the cruise control system is complex.

Alternatively, since he will allow me to bring in my own parts, if the cause on these cars is for example historically the cruise control Speed Sensor (Rock Auto about $31), then it might pay to gamble and purchase this part and have him put it on.

As a side note, the brake lights are working, so the problem does seem to be the brake switch.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Anovice
Old 12-24-2014, 03:15 PM

I would first check to see if the rubber bumper actuator for the cruise control disconnect switch is in the brake pedal. They have a habit of drying out, cracking up and falling out.

In the photo below, the switch for the cruise control has the brown connector. It is the one further away from the steering column. You want to check and see that the "stopper" is there.

Name:  Brake_switch_area.jpg
Views: 7868
Size:  48.5 KB
Old 12-24-2014, 04:41 PM
Bad *** Newb

Did you check the vac pump? If it can't pull a vacuum, then it won't work.
Not that I know how to test it LOL.

There's a TSB that says the cruise control unit can go bad, but symptoms were listed as hunting/surging.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 12-24-2014 at 04:47 PM.
Old 12-25-2014, 09:07 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

had the same issue, vacuum wasnt working right,
Old 12-25-2014, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
I would first check to see if the rubber bumper actuator for the cruise control disconnect switch is in the brake pedal. They have a habit of drying out, cracking up and falling out.

In the photo below, the switch for the cruise control has the brown connector. It is the one further away from the steering column. You want to check and see that the "stopper" is there.

Dennis,

You are good!

The stopper is intact on the stop lamp switch, but missing on the ASCD Cancel Switch.

Can the stopper be purchased separately from the ASCD Cancel Switch and if so, how can I find out the part number? If not, how can I find out the Nissan part number for the ASCD Cancel Switch to purchase hopefully from Rock Auto and if they do not carry it, from a Nissan dealer. I assume the ASCD Cancel Switch is the same for the 2000 V6 Maxima and my 2000 I30.

Thanks for your help!!

Anovice
Old 12-26-2014, 03:10 PM

The Nissan calls it "Stopper-Rubber", part number 46584-5P010 for both the Infiniti and the Maxima. List price is $7.23. I doubt that you can get this stopper from other than the dealer.

Some people will JB Weld something like a penny on the bracket. But what ever way you do it, make sure that the switch is not holding back the brake pedal, that there is a little bit of play.
Old 12-27-2014, 02:12 PM

The Nissan calls it "Stopper-Rubber", part number 46584-5P010 for both the Infiniti and the Maxima. List price is $7.23. I doubt that you can get this stopper from other than the dealer.

Some people will JB Weld something like a penny on the bracket. But what ever way you do it, make sure that the switch is not holding back the brake pedal, that there is a little bit of play.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks again!

I just spoke with the parts department at the local Nissan Dealership and the cost is list price. I had the dealer order the stopper and I will pick it up Tuesday.

On the related, where can I find a diagram so I know which way to orient the stopper? Do you think it will push through the hole fairly easily or should I use the likes of WD-40?

Anovice
Old 12-27-2014, 03:08 PM

Isn't this the problem people use pennies glued on to fix?
Old 12-27-2014, 09:14 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

like Lontar said, check the vacuum, save money. I had this issue b/c a vacuum hose popped off in the engine bay. It popped off the "control unit" that is mounted on the firewall roughly between the wipers and behind the throttle.

Check EL-191 in the 2000 Maxima fsm, or EL-268 in the I30 fsm (found on Nicoclub, Farkerton's sig has link), should give you some troubleshooting ideas.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ephraim
like Lontar said, check the vacuum, save money. I had this issue b/c a vacuum hose popped off in the engine bay. It popped off the "control unit" that is mounted on the firewall roughly between the wipers and behind the throttle.
No offense meant, but the op found the problem. And it wasn't a vacuum problem. Re-read post # 5.
Old 12-27-2014, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Anovice
Hi Dennis, where can I find a diagram so I know which way to orient the stopper? Do you think it will push through the hole fairly easily or should I use the likes of WD-40?

Anovice
When you look at the pedal, look at the stopper for the brake light switch. The two stoppers are oriented the same way, with the flat surface of the stopper towards the switch.

To install the stopper, you will probably have to take the switch out. There isn't enought room. To remove the switch, you just twist the switch a quarter turn and pull it out. Once you have the plastic stopper in, when you are re-installing the switch, make sure that you don't push the switch in too far so that it is preventing the brake pedal from returning all the way.

As far as actually pushing the plastic stopper into the hole, you may or may not need some lubricant. If you do, DO NOT use WD40. It is not a lubricant, it is all chemicals and it may rot the plastic. Use some nice, benign Vaseline.
Old 12-28-2014, 07:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No offense meant, but the op found the problem. And it wasn't a vacuum problem. Re-read post # 5.
ha my bad, late night
Old 09-27-2018, 03:10 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

hi there
regrading this article cruise system
i want to install it in my car what all the parts im ganna needs to get this thing done
i have 1999 maxima GCC
Old 09-27-2018, 09:36 AM

No one has ever done this. There are a lot of parts like brackets, cables wires, but I doubt that anyone knows exactly. You might even need to replace wire harnesses. You would be the first to do this.

Good luck to you if you decide to try.
Old 08-10-2022, 06:14 PM

...As far as actually pushing the plastic stopper into the hole, you may or may not need some lubricant. If you do, DO NOT use WD40. It is not a lubricant, it is all chemicals and it may rot the plastic. Use some nice, benign Vaseline.
Please do not use Vaseline or Petroleum Jelly (Vaseline is a trade name for petroleum jelly) on anything plastic or rubber because Vaseline degrades plastic and rubber or anything made from petroleum. WD-40 is also petroleum based.
Something truly benign with regard to plastic and rubber is silicone lubricant or dish soap.

Last edited by Harquebus; 08-23-2022 at 11:23 AM.