5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2014, 10:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Exhaust System

I've searched this forum inside out, I've searched Google upside down, I've posted "wanted" ads in the classified section of this forum and I still cant find a half decent exhaust system.

I was hesitant to start a new thread because I've never started one before but after reading and reading and reading through all these threads, I just couldn't find any information on what the best system is out there. It seems like the only system out there worthy of mentioning is Cattmans. So since I've had no luck in the past 2 months landing a pair for obvious reasons, I'm in desperate need of help for the second best option after Cattmans!! I've looked into options such as OBX headers but according to the threads, the consensus is that there a waste of money.

- I have a 2k1 Canadian 2001 AE 5 Speed manual.
- I'm looking to spend no more than $1300.00 with install, although if it's direct fit I can install it my self.
- and keep in mind I'm from northern Canada so don't have to worry about passing emission testing because there's no such thing.

Now, you guys know it's only a 3.0 so I'm not to worried with HP gains, because it's gonna be slow whether I get the 10 extra HP or not. So my main concern is Medium-High loud noise level and most importantly QUALITY sound. I'm looking to get some really loud popping sounds.

I've included a video of what I'd like it to sound like, it's a 2k2 and according to the owner of this car, all he's installed is cattman headers, y-pipe, cattback and test pipe. so I'm confused as to how it shoots flames. If someone can tell me how I can get that exact exhaust note and shoot flames without making the engine run rich or lean I would be for ever grateful!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-YzUorpX-g

I know I'm asking for a lot here guys, forgive me, but I would like to seriously thank all you guys for any input and for all the knowledge i've gained from reading all you guys posts on other threads.

Last edited by maxima01ae; 10-07-2014 at 01:32 AM. Reason: more description
Old 10-06-2014, 11:06 PM

Get a custom mandrel built one done
Old 10-06-2014, 11:30 PM

Get on the Group Buy for the new replacements being made soon; modeled after Cattmans design. Its few pages down...By Moncef iirc.
Other options; obx and megan amongst few others...
Old 10-07-2014, 12:48 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

What I ended up doing on the exact same car, after hours of searching/researching, was put on a new Warpspeed Y-pipe, deleted the cat, new b-pipe and resonator, and after a lot more searching through crappy youtube videos of Maximas with horrifying exhaust noise, kept the stock muffler. Doing this I feel like I removed most of the restriction of the stock set up for top end, kept some back pressure for mid-range AND it isn't too much louder than stock, unless I'm honking on it, which for me, met most of my goals. Even though I made some sacrifices, I'm 90% happy with the result and it suits my needs. The last 10% of me wants to gut my bank 2 precat, put on a Flowmaster and let it make some real noise
Old 10-07-2014, 01:25 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
Get on the Group Buy for the new replacements being made soon; modeled after Cattmans design. Its few pages down...By Moncef iirc.
Other options; obx and megan amongst few others...
I did first day he posted it, we're still two people short of going into production. I'll email him tomorrow to get an update, thanks a lot!
Old 10-07-2014, 06:19 AM

^^ You're not gonna get flames and popping unless your car is running like crap. Backfiring is not cool. You might get some popping with a bigger 3" exhaust tho, but no flames.

Without emissions to worry about, I'd get a shop to do a custom 3" straight pipe if I was you, it will be SICK. That's just IMO, especially if you like it loud and with popping.

Or you can get a Megan catback with test pipe or something. It will sounds real nice, should be very similar to the Cattman 2.5" exhaust actually. I have that setup, but mine is coupled with the 2.5 Cattman SS Ypipe, so maybe that makes it sound more Cattman-like?

Either way, getting aftermarket Ypipe with the exhaust makes the overall sound level louder.

Otherwise, your only option is somehow finding one of these 3" options if they ever make em again.
Old 10-07-2014, 07:03 AM

Get megan
Old 10-07-2014, 08:48 AM

Get Manzo 3.0 headers and become the first to experience,let us know how it goes....
Old 10-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

UPDATE!

Just got confirmation that mocefs 3 inch cattman catback is going into production, so i'll be getting that soon !

so now i need headers and y- pipe!!!

any advice?
Old 10-07-2014, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by maxima01ae
UPDATE!

Just got confirmation that mocefs 3 inch cattman catback is going into production, so i'll be getting that soon !

so now i need headers and y- pipe!!!

any advice?
Nice!

For headers and ypipe not many options left. Obx for headers and warpspeed for ypipe is probably best bet at this point far as I can tell..

But you also might be able to find sum good in the classifieds on here..I remember seeing a Cattman SS Ypipe for sale in classifieds recently.
Old 10-07-2014, 03:33 PM

If you are in fact going the Group Buy route...i believe you dont a separate y-pipe then...
Old 10-08-2014, 08:56 AM

I'm seriously thinking about stepping in to have a 5th Gen Catback designed as I did for the 3rd and 4th Gen Maxima in association with M.E.S....It'll be better than anything on FleaBay!