5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

An array of questions!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2014, 05:41 PM
Jor

An array of questions!

Hello Maxima Forums. I have a 5.5 gen 2002 Nissan Maxima SE. It has around 186k miles on it and runs great. The only 'performance' part I've added is a Injen Cold Air Intake. I run a 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds. I have an array of questions that have been bugging me and they are the reason I decided to join he forums.

1. I'm doing my research, I promise. I just would like your input on these questions so that I can be sure.

I've degreased and cleaned my engine but the cylinders and engine cover are still dirty. I've tried everything to get "stains" and dirt off, but it's not happening. Any suggestions on how to clean them, and if not, any suggestions on how to get a new engine cover, or paint it maybe?
  2. What are some parts I should replace in the engine to get some more "get up and go"?
  3. What are the best spark plugs for my maxima?
  4. Where can I purchase a fuel filter for my maxima?
  5. Is there anything I can do to make my maxima faster on a budget?
  6. Is this a good strut bar? http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan.../megan_racing/
  7. Are strut bars worth it?
  8. Any suggestions of what I can do to my maxima at a decently low price?

Hopefully I can get some answers, I'd love for you guys to help me out!

Last edited by Jor; 07-26-2014 at 06:47 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:56 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Clean MAF sensor, definetly get those cats off at 180k so maybe a y pipe into catback if it fits your budget. Injector cleaner might be a good idea unless it was ran on premuim it's whole life.
Old 07-26-2014, 08:59 PM

Old 07-26-2014, 09:17 PM
Jor

Originally Posted by Fakie J Farkerton

I spent a few hours searching and can't come to a coherent solution. I want something catering to my needs and wants and situations, not others. Also when I search a lot of times I get people saying to search, which is great help.

If you really want to help out then help out, if not, please take a seat somewhere else and not bother me with your spam.

Last edited by Jor; 07-26-2014 at 09:20 PM.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:19 PM
Jor

Originally Posted by Corbett203
Clean MAF sensor, definetly get those cats off at 180k so maybe a y pipe into catback if it fits your budget. Injector cleaner might be a good idea unless it was ran on premuim it's whole life.
Yeah it used to be ran on premium every other week and now I only run premium. I'll look into both, thank you so much for your help, exactly what I'm looking for
Old 07-26-2014, 09:30 PM

Spam?

Every single question you asked gets asked at least once a week.
Sometimes we all answer, but it's easier if you just use the information that is already there.

I'll answer number 8 for you: No.
Old 07-27-2014, 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by Jor
Hello Maxima Forums. I have a 5.5 gen 2002 Nissan Maxima SE. It has around 186k miles on it and runs great. The only 'performance' part I've added is a Injen Cold Air Intake. I run a 0-60 in about 6.6 seconds. I have an array of questions that have been bugging me and they are the reason I decided to join he forums.

1. I'm doing my research, I promise. I just would like your input on these questions so that I can be sure.

I've degreased and cleaned my engine but the cylinders and engine cover are still dirty. I've tried everything to get "stains" and dirt off, but it's not happening. Any suggestions on how to clean them, and if not, any suggestions on how to get a new engine cover, or paint it maybe?
  2. What are some parts I should replace in the engine to get some more "get up and go"?
  3. What are the best spark plugs for my maxima?
  4. Where can I purchase a fuel filter for my maxima?
  5. Is there anything I can do to make my maxima faster on a budget?
  6. Is this a good strut bar? http://www.andysautosport.com/nissan.../megan_racing/
  7. Are strut bars worth it?
  8. Any suggestions of what I can do to my maxima at a decently low price?

Hopefully I can get some answers, I'd love for you guys to help me out!
1. Use Simple Green from Walmart. I have used it on all my cars and I am happy with it.
2. Make sure you fix anything broken, then tune up. After that mods. You can get some intake spacers or/and exhaust.
3. The OEM NGKs
4. Not sure. Try auto-parts store. If not local Nissan dealer
5. Faster on a budget, I would say no.
6. It is fine. I know people that have it.
7. Some people would say no. For 30 bucks, not a bad purchase.
8. Wheels, stereo, tint...
Old 07-27-2014, 04:37 AM

2002 Maxima SE

1. Cleaning the engine, personally I only use air to blow out dirt, never use any solution of what kind that might mess up sensor connection and sensors.
2. I recommend to replace spark plugs with OEM genuine platinum, replace rear valve cover gasket and valve cover (use 6th gen:2004). Install a pcv oil catch can (ADD W1: ebay) to prevent blow by oil contaminating the intake manifold and throttle body. (VQ35DE engine has a tapered piston know to cause this)
Install a vias block plate http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html
Install Y pipe get rid of the OEM flexible Y pipe (only available y pipe: warspeed and ebay, the best one is cattman which luckily I have bought it from one of the member of the org.

Gut both precat and install non fouler to the two secondary 02 sensor
Fuel filter available at courtesyparts.com
Front strut bar: look at the classified section of maxima.org or http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=12
I recommend rear sway bar.
For front strut I recommend : Koni or Tokico OEM Genuine Nissan (Fluid type) or Tokico aftermarket (gas type)
For rear: Bilstein ,koni, tokico if available

Last edited by colt149; 07-27-2014 at 04:46 AM.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:43 AM
Jor

Originally Posted by tosheto
1. Use Simple Green from Walmart. I have used it on all my cars and I am happy with it.
2. Make sure you fix anything broken, then tune up. After that mods. You can get some intake spacers or/and exhaust.
3. The OEM NGKs
4. Not sure. Try auto-parts store. If not local Nissan dealer
5. Faster on a budget, I would say no.
6. It is fine. I know people that have it.
7. Some people would say no. For 30 bucks, not a bad purchase.
8. Wheels, stereo, tint...

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it.
Old 07-27-2014, 05:47 AM
Jor

Originally Posted by colt149
1. Cleaning the engine, personally I only use air to blow out dirt, never use any solution of what kind that might mess up sensor connection and sensors.
2. I recommend to replace spark plugs with OEM genuine platinum, replace rear valve cover gasket and valve cover (use 6th gen:2004). Install a pcv oil catch can (ADD W1: ebay) to prevent blow by oil contaminating the intake manifold and throttle body. (VQ35DE engine has a tapered piston know to cause this)
Install a vias block plate http://www.nwpengineering.com/Phenolic_Spacers.html
Install Y pipe get rid of the OEM flexible Y pipe (only available y pipe: warspeed and ebay, the best one is cattman which luckily I have bought it from one of the member of the org.

Gut both precat and install non fouler to the two secondary 02 sensor
Fuel filter available at courtesyparts.com
Front strut bar: look at the classified section of maxima.org or http://racinglineperformance.com/sho...&idcategory=12
I recommend rear sway bar.
For front strut I recommend : Koni or Tokico OEM Genuine Nissan (Fluid type) or Tokico aftermarket (gas type)
For rear: Bilstein ,koni, tokico if available
Awesome! I'll look into everything you've mentioned. Thank you so much
Old 07-27-2014, 07:08 AM

Originally Posted by Jor
  1. What are some parts I should replace in the engine to get some more "get up and go"?
  2. Is there anything I can do to make my maxima faster on a budget?
  3. Any suggestions of what I can do to my maxima at a decently low price?
Yes, get yourself a nice set of chrome 20" wheels, of course find em used for cheap. Done deal, you got yourself one sick sleeper then.

Old 07-27-2014, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
Yes, get yourself a nice set of chrome 20" wheels, of course find em used for cheap. Done deal, you got yourself one sick sleeper then.

Old 07-27-2014, 09:29 AM
Jor

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell

Something doesn't add up
Old 07-27-2014, 10:11 AM

What is the budget of the OP?

@OP - Get some light weight rims
Old 07-27-2014, 10:25 AM
Puerto Rico-Maxima Lover

If you do rims, find a set of Infinity G35, you cant go wrong with those... I;m biased on that...lol.
Everything else members have told you are the options you have
The fuel filter in the maxima, is not required to be replaced, but if you do it yourself you have to be careful on the How to do it. Follow this link
http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html
Old 07-27-2014, 11:02 AM
Jor

Originally Posted by george__
What is the budget of the OP?

@OP - Get some light weight rims
I've got a budget of around $200 for this month and about $100 a month for the next 9 months. Of course it's flexible, so I could spend $150 in say one month, or I could spend $75 in one month. Just depends on what stage I'm at. It's an approximate budget.
Old 07-27-2014, 11:04 AM
Jor

Originally Posted by Lontar1
If you do rims, find a set of Infinity G35, you cant go wrong with those... I;m biased on that...lol.
Everything else members have told you are the options you have
The fuel filter in the maxima, is not required to be replaced, but if you do it yourself you have to be careful on the How to do it. Follow this link
http://www.shiftice.com/fuel_filter.html
Hey, that will help a lot

I try to do everything myself, I'll be starting a project thread soon