5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Weird sound coming from Engine/something else

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2014, 11:30 PM

Weird sound coming from Engine/something else

So my car has 270k Km or 168,000 miles. When I start up you can hear a sound that sounds somewhat like metal is scraping/rubbing. You can barely hear it when windows are down, but as I'm driving down the street and pass a parked car with the windows down I can hear the scraping sound, It sounds as if it is a constant metal scraping sound. I've had the car since April and the guy who sold it to me, told me he put new brake pads on and everything and I've google'd it and google told me it's just my breakpads getting worn in, but It's been 4 months and the sound is still there. Is it the engine? Is this bad? I need help. 1
Old 07-20-2014, 06:05 AM

Well it's impossible to tell, is it like pulsating or just constant, I have a brake (this is how "brake" is spelled not "break") problems for awhile now, mine grind quite often, I need new pads most likely, but my rear calipers give me problems, it's either the caliper itself or the e brake cable, but I'm waiting till I can buy performance calipers for the entire car before I do change any of them

As for your sound you would have to describe it better, like which side of the car is it coming from, left front, left back, ect... There is no way that we can diagnose something we haven't drive until we know all the symptoms, also what engine is it, because the 5th gen has 2 different engines, one more prone to wear and one less, go out take a video or something a post it, try to pinpoint the general location of the sound, it will make it easier for you to figure out what is wrong in the future and also help you to not get ripped off if you take yours to a shop
Old 07-20-2014, 10:37 AM

Its the 3.5 V6 engine and I'm almost certain it's coming from the front passenger side. I'll take a video after work and post it so someone can tell me whats up.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:43 AM

This will sound crazy, but check your brake pad shims. I've never had it happen on any other car, but for some reason the shims on my i30's brake pads like to snap free and drag against the hub part of the brake rotor occasionally.
Old 07-22-2014, 07:48 AM

Originally Posted by Montego Murph
This will sound crazy, but check your brake pad shims. I've never had it happen on any other car, but for some reason the shims on my i30's brake pads like to snap free and drag against the hub part of the brake rotor occasionally.

I misdiagnosed a bad wheel bearing ,only to find out that one of the aftermarket shims (rear)i used didn't fit properly and was rubbing on the hub. i almost took everything apart after axle swap ,i thought it was the front passenger bearing

When you hear the noise, Try to apply the brakes lightly see if it goes away or try to pull the e brake lightly...this what i did,

Last edited by nestorlugo; 07-22-2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old 08-05-2014, 02:33 PM

Don't forget your accessory belts are on that side as well. Hearing the sound will definitely help but it could be a compressor pulley bearing. The reason I mention this is because you said you can hear when you start the car, indicating you have not started driving yet. If you hear it with the car just running in a stationary position get you some heater hose (about 4-5 feet) put one end to your ear and carefully(moving engine parts) poke around with the other end to isolate the noise.
Old 10-25-2014, 07:17 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Could be the dust cove that is attached to the rear of the hub assy, could be a drive belt tensioner bearing gone bad and could be what others mentioned also. Good luck.