5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Starting Issue (Getting Worse)

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 07:40 AM

Starting Issue (Getting Worse)

Hey all, I'm having a starting issue on my 2001 maxima SE. 150k miles, 5 speed manual transmission.

Ever since I bought the car it would have a occasional, like once every two weeks or so, problem starting. It would like hesitate to start. it would crank for about 5 seconds and then start. Ever since then it has slowly been getting worse. And since the past week its gone very bad. It does it atleast 2 times a day. Now while it's cranking it would like die out, make a loud clunking noise and start up. I have taken a couple videos and uploaded to youtube. I put the link in the post as it did not let me upload it.

What do you guys think it might be? The starter? Flywheel? Fuel Pump?

http://youtu.be/1ze7iQ7hSJo
Old 07-15-2014, 08:14 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

There are a number of threads on this topic. Start with the obvious...battery, starter, fuel filter (yes there is an actual filter even though manual says otherwise), MAF (may be going out), throttle body (dirty), CPS.

Do a search and you shall find...

I'm assuming it runs fine once it is started.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:30 AM

The MAF is new. I changed it about 6 months ago. It was a brand new one with the green dot on top. The throttle I haven't cleaned cause some people tell me it's not good to do so because of a coat the throttle has on it that might be wiped off when you clean it. Which will then give you problems. When I changed the clutch last september the mechanic said the started looked like it was on it's way out. But never given any problems. Unless this is it. As for the fuel pump, I'm not sure in what condition its in.

Could it be that a couple teeth on the starter might have broken off?

And yes, it runs fine after it starts. That I know of at least.

Last edited by Johnny7280; 07-15-2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 08:45 AM

Starter teeth would be a freewheeling whirring noise and then suddenly slamming into place... I don't think that's it.

Check the Fuel Pressure Regulator and Fuel Dampener. What you're describing is exactly what I wrestled with for almost a year, and it got progressively worse and worse. Basically the engine is flooding itself out as it tries to start.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:25 AM

What about the crank shaft position or cam position sensors? From what I understand my 2001 should have two crank and one cam sensor right? Would those be giving me this problem?
Old 07-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Johnny7280
The MAF is new. I changed it about 6 months ago. It was a brand new one with the green dot on top. The throttle I haven't cleaned cause some people tell me it's not good to do so because of a coat the throttle has on it that might be wiped off when you clean it. Which will then give you problems. When I changed the clutch last september the mechanic said the started looked like it was on it's way out. But never given any problems. Unless this is it. As for the fuel pump, I'm not sure in what condition its in.

Could it be that a couple teeth on the starter might have broken off?

And yes, it runs fine after it starts. That I know of at least.
On a 2k1 you hurt nothing by cleaning the throttle body. It is the 2k2 and after that you have to worry about because they are drive by wire technology. I have a 2k and have cleaned by throttle body numerous times. It is the same setup as a 2k1.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM

Your starter is about to go out I'm pretty sure, mine did that just a couple weeks ago and I was forced to leave my car in a parking lot overnight, luckily it was in town though. But yeah, my symptoms were that it hesitated to start about 2 or 3 different times but on and off. For two weeks, then it just died, but the thing is I had just started the car maybe 5 minutes before the time it died so it is pretty unpredictable
Old 07-15-2014, 10:39 AM

I'm going to try and check the fuel regulator and damper since I've been doing some reading and it may be the problem.

To my understanding, if you remove the vacuum line on the damper and regulator and there is fuel coming out of the end of it. They're shot right?

UPDATE: Fuel pressure regulator and dampener seem to be fine. I did the test where you turn the car on and let it run with both vacuum hoses disconnected. No fuel leaking on either.

Last edited by Johnny7280; 07-15-2014 at 11:57 AM.
Old 07-15-2014, 03:04 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by AT978
Your starter is about to go out I'm pretty sure, mine did that just a couple weeks ago and I was forced to leave my car in a parking lot overnight, luckily it was in town though. But yeah, my symptoms were that it hesitated to start about 2 or 3 different times but on and off. For two weeks, then it just died, but the thing is I had just started the car maybe 5 minutes before the time it died so it is pretty unpredictable
I tend to agree with this assessment as well since my previous start issues were related to the start, but in my case it did help greatly when I added a ground from the battery negative terminal cable to the transmission housing. I have no idea why this helped, but it did. A few other guys have done the same thing with the cable and had similar results. It's odd because it shouldn't have an impact, but it did in our cases.

See the thread linked below.

http://forums.maxima.org/5th-generat...n-learned.html
Old 07-17-2014, 06:44 PM

Okay guys, so my car completely died today. It did not want to start at all. I have a manual tranny so I was able to push start it. I pulled codes P0420 (cat. conv.) P0335 TWO TIMES (Crankshaft sensor) and P0464 (weird fuel sensor code)

Any Ideas guys?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:50 PM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
On a 2k1 you hurt nothing by cleaning the throttle body. It is the 2k2 and after that you have to worry about because they are drive by wire technology. I have a 2k and have cleaned by throttle body numerous times. It is the same setup as a 2k1.
Just FYI, I think the OP was talking about the Teflon coating on throttle body plates that comes off if you use the wrong cleaner.
The cleaner has to specify it is for fuel injected engines, not a universal spray.
Old 07-17-2014, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by Johnny7280
Okay guys, so my car completely died today. It did not want to start at all. I have a manual tranny so I was able to push start it. I pulled codes P0420 (cat. conv.) P0335 TWO TIMES (Crankshaft sensor) and P0464 (weird fuel sensor code)

Any Ideas guys?
Sounds like bad electrical contact to me- it's not very likely all those sensors would go out at once. You also wouldn't be able to start it without Crankshaft Position Sensor. How long ago did you erase the codes? I wonder if these are fresh or remaining of some older story.
I'd check the basics as someone already suggested- battery voltage, battery posts, spark plugs, grounding. To test ground you can temporarily put a wire from the negative battery post to the body just to see if it changes anything.
Old 07-18-2014, 07:06 AM

Pulled the starter out today and took it to advance auto to have it tested. It's gone. Bought a new one. Will install in a bit and let you guys know. thanks!
Old 07-18-2014, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
There are a number of threads on this topic. Start with the obvious...battery, starter, fuel filter (yes there is an actual filter even though manual says otherwise), MAF (may be going out), throttle body (dirty), CPS.

Do a search and you shall find...

I'm assuming it runs fine once it is started.
the fuel filter you are talking about is the one on the fuel pump assembly??
asking cause i have been wanting to change or clean mine and too lazy to take my fuel pump out
Old 07-18-2014, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by JDM_A33
the fuel filter you are talking about is the one on the fuel pump assembly??
asking cause i have been wanting to change or clean mine and too lazy to take my fuel pump out
Yes, that's the one he's talking about. I'm planning on buying oem fuel filter and changing it. There's a write up on here on how to change it.
Old 07-18-2014, 10:47 AM

Oh, and I installed the new starter, I also cleaned both crankshaft sensors. The REF sensor by the pulley is rusted. I just cleaned it as best I could since it hasn't given me codes for that. The other sensor POS by the tranny was really nasty and covered in oil and metal shavings. I also went ahead and cleaned the throttle body since I had to take the intake out. Turned on just fine. I'll keep you guys posted on what happens. Thanks for everyone's input on helping out.
Old 07-26-2014, 09:59 AM

UPDATE:

About a week after install of new starter. The long cranks begin. I'm leaning toward the battery. Cranks a while, then kind of dies out and then roughly starts again. No SES codes at all. New starter, Cleaned both crank sensors.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:08 AM

Disagree on battery. If it's cranking hard enough to eventually start it, then it's not going to help make it start faster. (bad explanation but maybe you're picking up what I'm putting down.)

Did you check those vacuum lines for the pressure sensor and damper? They are readily accesible while you have the starter, battery, and air box out.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:10 PM

Montego Murph, I did check them. After the engine is warm and running for a while. No leaks or anything from either the damper or regulator vacuum hoses.
Old 08-01-2014, 06:31 PM

Also, something i forgot to mention. When I took off the POS Crankshaft sensor that is by the oil pan. I did notice that the little magnetic tip which reads the crank pulley was super rusted. Like rusted to the point that I couldn't clean it at all. I got the grime off, but it's rusted.

Maybe that can be the culprit?
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 PM

Alright so the problems are starting again. And they're getting worse. Feels like my car will leave me stranded sometimes. Took the battery to auto zone to have it tested. It's in perfect condition. Brand new crank sensors and cam sensors. Starter is about 4 weeks old. I'm starting to think it might be a fuel related problem. Probably going to have it scanned for codes again tomorrow after work. Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.
Old 08-16-2014, 12:45 PM

I would check the flywheel. You can take off the starter then look inside the hole and see teeth. You can turn the crank on the passenger side of the motor to rotate the flywheel to see if any teeth are missing.
Old 08-19-2014, 06:48 AM

When I changed my starter about a month ago the teeth looked fine. And it doesn't sound like it's missing teeth. I bought a grounding kit from a fellow member. Hopefully that'll make things better as it has done good to some members with a 5th gen.
Old 09-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Okay guys. I might have finally beat this. It's been one week since I installed my grounding kit and I haven't had a single hard start since. Hopefully it won't come back. -fingers crossed-
Old 09-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

Replace cam sensors? But that would cause it to die and not stay running.
One of the crank sensors must be bad b/c cleaning them off will work if they're good.

Please keep update again, later. I find it interesting that a ground can do that.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 09-05-2014 at 04:53 PM.