5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Anyone Else Have this strange issue?- Sunroof

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 01:21 PM

Anyone Else Have this strange issue?- Sunroof

Years back with my last maxima...8 years ago. i Faintly recall few ppl mentioning this issue..

About 4 times now with my new max, just driving around perhaps hitting a corner fast or a speedbump my sunroof just magically pops open? usually pops open to the 1/4 open position (ie if the black switch was moved back one notch)
The notch actually rests in the close position but...sunroof opens up!

Only fix is opening all the way and re-closing. I suppose i could have defective contacts on switch?
Who else has incurred the same problem? solution?
T.I.A
Old 07-13-2014, 02:18 PM

Happens to me as well - maybe a dozen times over the last 10 years Sometimes just cruising down the road so I think its more likely a glitch in the control unit. Sorry, I don't have a diagnosis but without it consistently failing it will be tough to know for certain.
Old 07-14-2014, 09:29 AM

i have had this little glitch occur randomly also. some contact must be accidentally made to open it slightly 10%.

not sure of a fix, plus it is so rare, and obscure kinda hard to diagnose or get the motivation to do so.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:05 PM

This used to happen in my car rather frequently and got to the point where sometimes I'd have to open/close the switch all the way a few times before the sunroof would completely close. Since I never use the sunroof I just disconnected the switch. So far the sunroof hasn't opened on me since.

It's a pretty simple thing to do. Just remove a single screw from within the sunglasses holder and then pull the compartment down. Disconnect the switch and then replace.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:55 PM

You are def right about trying to diagnose the issue. so easy to call it a faulty sunroof switch...one day ill attempt cleaning all contacts and terminals. see if its becomes less frequent

Originally Posted by Prophecytr99
i have had this little glitch occur randomly also. some contact must be accidentally made to open it slightly 10%.

not sure of a fix, plus it is so rare, and obscure kinda hard to diagnose or get the motivation to do so.
I dont wanna loose my sunroof function completely. Majority of the times i ride with the sunroof tilted for ventilation.

Originally Posted by Unclejunebug
This used to happen in my car rather frequently and got to the point where sometimes I'd have to open/close the switch all the way a few times before the sunroof would completely close. Since I never use the sunroof I just disconnected the switch. So far the sunroof hasn't opened on me since.

It's a pretty simple thing to do. Just remove a single screw from within the sunglasses holder and then pull the compartment down. Disconnect the switch and then replace.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
You are def right about trying to diagnose the issue. so easy to call it a faulty sunroof switch...one day ill attempt cleaning all contacts and terminals. see if its becomes less frequent

I dont wanna loose my sunroof function completely. Majority of the times i ride with the sunroof tilted for ventilation.
i havent lost any functionality to mine, and I ride with mine tilted also, rarely open in all the way.

probably noticed the glitch for a couple years now (3+)