5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lowered Car, Better Gas Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 10:27 PM

Lowered Car, Better Gas Mileage?

4th of July weekend I replaced all four springs/struts on my 01. Im now sitting on KYB GR2s and Tein Htechs. Nice look and great feel IMO. Now, typically I average about 18.5 mpg (~280 miles/tank) driving around town with intermediately aggressive driving ( normal driving except when I get the need for speed ) Ive been driving more aggressively lately just because its nice to feel what a major difference the new parts make coming from blown struts and bad springs. I was still able to go 340 miles on my last tank around town! Thats ~22.5 mpg!!! I figured it would be slightly better from:
A) receiving new properly working parts
B) and I figured there would be a MINISCULE gain from increased aerodynamics LOL
...but theres no way I was expecting 4 mpgs better.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed significant change in there gas mileage once they lowered or simply replaced the struts..
** nearly everytime I fill up i put about 15.1 gallons in. So thats rhe the number I used for my calculations
Old 07-11-2014, 11:09 PM

COngrats

Last edited by george__; 07-11-2014 at 11:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2014, 07:50 AM
Suspension Yoda

I would say it's 99.9% attributed to A and 0.1% to B
Old 07-14-2014, 09:19 AM

it is proven that better aerodynamics will help gas mileage.

Being lowered helps aerodynamics, so with that said, yes it is correct to say being lowered helps gas mileage.

by how much, thats a whole different story. if you are more interested in getting better gas mileage, id suggest to check out a more detailed place for discussion that talks only about gas mileage.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:05 AM

4 mpg on a lower car? Slammed cars are then probably getting getter mpg than hybrids...
this is the funniest thread I have read on a Monday
Old 07-14-2014, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by djfrestyl
I would say it's 99.9% attributed to A and 0.1% to B
Thats what i figured lol. But i guess its hard to wrapmy head aroundthe fact that its not just a smidge better..but 4mpg which is pretty significant IMO.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Prophecy99
it is proven that better aerodynamics will help gas mileage.

Being lowered helps aerodynamics, so with that said, yes it is correct to say being lowered helps gas mileage.

by how much, thats a whole different story. if you are more interested in getting better gas mileage, id suggest to check out a more detailed place for discussion that talks only about gas mileage.
Im not interested i.getting better mpg.. I simply.replaced my struts and springs and now its greatly improved. I just wondered how much of it was from new parts and how much is from the front end being lower than the back and etc. my struts were so bad that i cant accurately gauge it.on my own. But according to DJ its the parts lol.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by L_U_D_I_AMaxima
4 mpg on a lower car? Slammed cars are then probably getting getter mpg than hybrids...
this is the funniest thread I have read on a Monday
Not sure how its funny? Im not chalking up 4 mpgs to being lower.... i just wondered if anyone.had.noticed any difference when they went from properly working stock suspension to properly working and lowER. Not.slammed. My struts were so far gone that i cant put my.own input in so i was curious and wanted feedback from others.
Old 07-14-2014, 10:02 PM

Originally Posted by King_Ten_Ahead
My struts were so far gone that i cant put my.own input in so i was curious and wanted feedback from others.
Probably negligible
Old 07-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

While I would think that aerodynamics would help, the effect would be miniscule, and the greatest effect of aerodynamics would be above a certain speed, like > 60 mph. Not only that, our cars have fixed gear ratios, so even though the engine may work more efficiently, it's still turning over at, say, 2500 rpm at 50 mph, give or take. So due to the fixed gear ratios, the car can only get better mileage up to a certain point before the gearbox holds it back. 1 or 2 mpgs better maybe, but 4?

I wonder, though, while you were doing the suspension, did you disconnect any harnesses or plugs that you plugged back in again?
Old 07-15-2014, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
While I would think that aerodynamics would help, the effect would be miniscule, and the greatest effect of aerodynamics would be above a certain speed, like > 60 mph. Not only that, our cars have fixed gear ratios, so even though the engine may work more efficiently, it's still turning over at, say, 2500 rpm at 50 mph, give or take. So due to the fixed gear ratios, the car can only get better mileage up to a certain point before the gearbox holds it back. 1 or 2 mpgs better maybe, but 4?

I wonder, though, while you were doing the suspension, did you disconnect any harnesses or plugs that you plugged back in again?
That makes sense. As i said in the OP I too thought itd make a miniscule difference. Not a single thing was touched harness wise. All i touched were strut assemblies and sway bar end links

Thats why the 4 mpgs has me
Old 07-15-2014, 09:40 AM

the facts are out there, not here obviously. no need to debate this here.
Old 07-15-2014, 09:42 AM

That makes sense. As i said in the OP I too thought itd make a miniscule difference. Not a single thing was touched harness wise. All i touched were strut assemblies and sway bar end links

Thats why the 4 mpgs has me
and you are basing this off of one tank. this isn't a true way of testing MPG because there are so many other factors. you are better off doing an A - B - A testing (which would be removing and replacing the item you feel is effected MPG) again if you are interested in learning how much the lowering could have effected your MPG , search and you shall find.
Old 07-15-2014, 10:26 AM

and you are basing this off of one tank. this isn't a true way of testing MPG because there are so many other factors. you are better off doing an A - B - A testing (which would be removing and replacing the item you feel is effected MPG) again if you are interested in learning how much the lowering could have effected your MPG , search and you shall find.
1) this is from 3 tanks
2) its idiotic to put broken parts back on a car
3) affected*
4) ill never understand why people such as you become hot and bothered by simple things like this. Ive done my research. I may have improperly titled this thread,but its more towards the replacing of struts.
Old 07-16-2014, 12:53 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

.... Ive been driving more aggressively lately just because its nice to feel what a major difference the new parts make coming from blown struts and bad springs...
This must be it, then. Change in driving habit. Although driving aggressively might equate to worse gas mileage, getting up to 60 mph in a go like hell manner may get you better gas mileage than driving miss daisy up to 60 mph because miss daisy spends more time in the lower, more gas consuming gears.

Of course, as this go like hell habit tends to continues upward, 70-80-90 and beyond mph, then gas mileage goes down again, and hence the reputation of hard driving and bad gas mileage. I am a bit familiar with this trend
Old 07-16-2014, 05:31 AM

1) this is from 3 tanks
2) its idiotic to put broken parts back on a car
3) affected*
4) ill never understand why people such as you become hot and bothered by simple things like this. Ive done my research. I may have improperly titled this thread,but its more towards the replacing of struts.
1- you never described that, you actually said "I got 340 miles / 22.5mpg" that's it
2-I didn't suggest putting on broken parts I only described the process on how to test actual affects of a modification in a controlled situation. Which you keep asking how much the lowering actually affected your mpg
3- thanks for the grammer, i wasn't sure i always thought affected was with feelings but i double checked and your right. learn something everyday
4- no one is hot and bothered man ! im cool as ac gets.
Old 07-16-2014, 05:36 AM

since we are all interested in MPG and lowering, check these out.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/fuel-economy-mpg-modifications.php#53

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...drag-1783.html
http://www.crxmpg.com/lowering-for-b...-and-function/
Old 07-16-2014, 07:17 PM

1- you never described that, you actually said "I got 340 miles / 22.5mpg" that's it
2-I didn't suggest putting on broken parts I only described the process on how to test actual affects of a modification in a controlled situation. Which you keep asking how much the lowering actually affected your mpg
3- thanks for the grammer, i wasn't sure i always thought affected was with feelings but i double checked and your right. learn something everyday
4- no one is hot and bothered man ! im cool as ac gets.
My mistake, amigo
Old 07-16-2014, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi

This must be it, then. Change in driving habit. Although driving aggressively might equate to worse gas mileage, getting up to 60 mph in a go like hell manner may get you better gas mileage than driving miss daisy up to 60 mph because miss daisy spends more time in the lower, more gas consuming gears.

Of course, as this go like hell habit tends to continues upward, 70-80-90 and beyond mph, then gas mileage goes down again, and hence the reputation of hard driving and bad gas mileage. I am a bit familiar with this trend
I found this was true in my fathers 03 passat. Not sure about.my max since theres no.fuel economy gauge.for me to watch:/
Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 PM

Just out of curiosity, did you compute the miles per gallon by taking the number of miles you put on when refilling the tank and dividing the gallons it took to fill? I keep seeing on here references to how many miles were gotten on a tank and not actual miles vs gallons.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by venturous
Just out of curiosity, did you compute the miles per gallon by taking the number of miles you put on when refilling the tank and dividing the gallons it took to fill? I keep seeing on here references to how many miles were gotten on a tank and not actual miles vs gallons.
Yes i did compute mpgs.
Old 07-19-2014, 12:38 PM

Yes i did compute mpgs.
Thank you for your response. I think there are some on here that have no idea how to compute miles per gallon.
Old 07-19-2014, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by venturous

Thank you for your response. I think there are some on here that have no idea how to compute miles per gallon.
Its very sad quite frankly..
Old 07-19-2014, 03:33 PM

There's a sticky on it if they want to read it.

Sent from my iPad using and abusin Maxima.Org