5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Mediocre gas milage

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2014, 09:35 PM

Mediocre gas milage

2001 max se AE with 18 mpg city AT BEST. I drove under 2000 rpm the ENTIRE time, or very close to it. What are things that can cause poor gas mikage for a car this age?
Old 07-10-2014, 10:18 PM

Spark plugs, fuel filter, clean your egr, change the pcv valve, use premium fuel, make sure brakes aren't binding and the pins are sliding free, proper tire inflation, reduce weight you're carrying, clean maf, replace oxygen 02 sensors, check catalysts for clogs, replace air filter, use synthetic oils, fill tires with nitrogen, etc.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:29 PM

That's not a bad mpg. Mine gets about that too.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16806.shtml
Old 07-10-2014, 10:46 PM
Bad *** Newb

bad mpg LOL

That's not how I would drive city, though. Hammer 1st gear, then cruise in high gear. The car doesn't make sufficient or efficient power that low down. You're probably just making it struggle more than anything and burning more fuel.
If you have so much stop and go that you don't have cruising periods, then that's obviously the cause of it failing to meet your expectations (but it's actually giving you good results).

Originally Posted by Donkeypunch
That's not a bad mpg. Mine gets about that too.
http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/noframes/16806.shtml
Those numbers are bull****, though. I got 24 mpg driving through the Appalachians at 80-85 mph. There are some pretty decent climbs (left every 4 banger in the dust). On slightly hilly terrain I got 28 mpg at the same speed.
This was an auto 2001. I could have done better than that with the 5 spd.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 07-10-2014 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 10:53 PM

Originally Posted by Child_uv_KoRn
bad mpg LOL

Those numbers are bull****, though. I got 24 mpg driving through the Appalachians at 80-85 mph. There are some pretty decent climbs (left every 4 banger in the dust). On slightly hilly terrain I got 28 mpg at the same speed.
This was an auto 2001. I could have done better than that with the 5 spd.
What kind of fuel do you use? I'm using regular
Old 07-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Try going over 2000 RPM's...that low of RPM's may not be the best economically for gas mileage. My 2k gets the best mileage around 3000 to 4000 RPM's. It is an auto though.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:02 AM

^ First thing first, USE PREMIUM FUEL. It says so in the manual, using regular will give you crap performance.

I average 18-22mpg in all city traffic, and my area has TERRIBLE traffic and people out here never accelerate sufficiently so I can barely even press the pedal in 1st gear most times -- forcing the car to accelerate more in higher gear and waste more gas. Winter time is more like 18mpg, summer usually tends to be closer to 22mpg.

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
Spark plugs, fuel filter, clean your egr, change the pcv valve, use premium fuel, make sure brakes aren't binding and the pins are sliding free, proper tire inflation, reduce weight you're carrying, clean maf, replace oxygen 02 sensors, check catalysts for clogs, replace air filter, use synthetic oils, fill tires with nitrogen, etc.
No EGR on the 2001's and late 2000's.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:55 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
^ First thing first, USE PREMIUM FUEL. It says so in the manual, using regular will give you crap performance.
Not really...been on 87 octane for past 9 years and zero performance related issues. As long as it is quality gas 87 versus 91 doesn't make a difference.

Unless you got a butt dyno to prove me wrong?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:21 AM

Time to get a eco boxxx

Seriously though according to fuelly your mpg is not that bad

http://www.fuelly.com/car/nissan/maxima
Old 07-11-2014, 09:26 AM

You can feel it in any car. You're just one of those people that don't need it. You'd probably be fine on lesser octane if there was any.
Old 07-11-2014, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by foodmanry
Not really...been on 87 octane for past 9 years and zero performance related issues. As long as it is quality gas 87 versus 91 doesn't make a difference.

Unless you got a butt dyno to prove me wrong?
What a joke u are.... Iv used 87 compared to 93.... 87 sucks in my car I really only use it on my long highway trips to from Florida to ny..... But it's def Differnt and u can notice it
Old 07-11-2014, 11:56 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally Posted by Bronxboi5
What a joke u are.... Iv used 87 compared to 93.... 87 sucks in my car I really only use it on my long highway trips to from Florida to ny..... But it's def Differnt and u can notice it
Well...at least I can spell and not look like an idiot when I post. You might want to continue your edumacation... You look like the joke...

As far as the performance on 87 versus 93 I wouldn't know...we only have up to 91 in California. For the first 5 years I ran my 2k Maxima on premium (91 in California). I then switched to 87 for economic reasons and haven't looked back. There was no performance change (at least that I noticed in my butt dyno) and my MPG did not change. I never looked back...why spend more money when you don't have to?
Old 07-11-2014, 02:19 PM

Ill add my own 2 cents here...owned 3 maximas...
i definitely notice a difference between 87 and 91 relative to mpg and "power". with 91 my car seems more responsive..more true to its "drive by wire" electronic throttle control design. yet with 87 there is a lag in response. im sure the knock sensor retards the timing to compensate for 87 gas. for those with 17* timing advance..running 87 gas could be a costly mistake.
with that said i avg 20 mpg consistently with mixed driving city/fwy. (sorry for the rant)
Old 07-11-2014, 03:25 PM
Bad *** Newb

Originally Posted by AT978
What kind of fuel do you use? I'm using regular
93 (91 will be fine on a stock car, but it's not carried here). 87 is crap. The engine will not be efficient with low octane. It will start to ping and the KS will retard timing. You're just burning money. That 20 cents you save per gallon is nothing when you lose mpg from 87.

In the winter I'm sure 87 is fine, since the air is cold. It won't ping easily. But in this summer heat, it's going to ping.

Last edited by Child_uv_KoRn; 07-11-2014 at 03:27 PM.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Quickywd01
As I was driving today I listened very carefully to the brakes, I heard just the slightest bit of binding, I don't notice it on the feel of the car but I hear it. Should I just get new brake pads?
Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 PM

Try going over 2000 RPM's...that low of RPM's may not be the best economically for gas mileage. My 2k gets the best mileage around 3000 to 4000 RPM's. It is an auto though.
Excuse the naïveté if this is a dumb question, but is this true?
Old 07-11-2014, 11:17 PM

Well...at least I can spell and not look like an idiot when I post. You might want to continue your edumacation... You look like the joke...

As far as the performance on 87 versus 93 I wouldn't know...we only have up to 91 in California. For the first 5 years I ran my 2k Maxima on premium (91 in California). I then switched to 87 for economic reasons and haven't looked back. There was no performance change (at least that I noticed in my butt dyno) and my MPG did not change. I never looked back...why spend more money when you don't have to?
Haha I'm on a phone typing this and could care less about my spelling, I have a college degree in sports management from cortland state in ny..... Second I'm a idiot for using the correct gas.... And not trying to ruin my engine.... Yup you keep up the good work stupid
Old 07-11-2014, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by hnamous
Autos are different
Old 07-11-2014, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by a33_ridah
Ill add my own 2 cents here...owned 3 maximas...
i definitely notice a difference between 87 and 91 relative to mpg and "power". with 91 my car seems more responsive..more true to its "drive by wire" electronic throttle control design. yet with 87 there is a lag in response. im sure the knock sensor retards the timing to compensate for 87 gas. for those with 17* timing advance..running 87 gas could be a costly mistake.
with that said i avg 20 mpg consistently with mixed driving city/fwy. (sorry for the rant)
Yeah I average 22 city and 26 highway... But I shift early and try to not floor it... But my city might be a lil lower because I use highway more then city
Old 07-12-2014, 12:34 AM
5th Gen till she dies!

I've consistently gotten 22ish city/28 hwy forever with my auto 01 (also 87 octane mostly). Premium gets put in every now and again and it does run a tiny bit smoother. I can also attest to some pinging being noticed every year as the heat of summer kicks in. I do a lot of long trips with plenty of time to obsess about recording mpg's and such. Premium hasn't shown itself to gain me much in fuel efficiency to warrant the price with long distance driving, but again it does feel better. Additionally, I have to add that I do stay on top of the simple things; tire pressure checked often, syn oil changed on schedule, air filter replaced, and I keep her properly aligned. That probably makes more of a difference than anything else.
Old 07-12-2014, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by ManualMaxima
I've consistently gotten 22ish city/28 hwy forever with my auto 01 (also 87 octane mostly). Premium gets put in every now and again and it does run a tiny bit smoother. I can also attest to some pinging being noticed every year as the heat of summer kicks in. I do a lot of long trips with plenty of time to obsess about recording mpg's and such. Premium hasn't shown itself to gain me much in fuel efficiency to warrant the price with long distance driving, but again it does feel better. Additionally, I have to add that I do stay on top of the simple things; tire pressure checked often, syn oil changed on schedule, air filter replaced, and I keep her properly aligned. That probably makes more of a difference than anything else.
Aghh it is saddening to me to see how good of gas mileage all of you are getting while I am getting like 18/22
Old 07-12-2014, 12:30 PM
Bad *** Newb

Aghh it is saddening to me to see how good of gas mileage all of you are getting while I am getting like 18/22
You can always replace the maf, use 91 and see what your results are. The maf will eventually fail anyway, so it wouldn't be a waste of money to replace it.
Also, if you have high miles the cats could be clogged, but you should notice a power problem (they don't fail like the 5.5s, but they will clog eventually).
Old 07-12-2014, 12:36 PM

You can always replace the maf, use 91 and see what your results are. The maf will eventually fail anyway, so it wouldn't be a waste of money to replace it.
Also, if you have high miles the cats could be clogged, but you should notice a power problem (they don't fail like the 5.5s, but they will clog eventually).
Should I clean it or replace it? And if info, will the ones on eBay work? EBay seems to have all the different parts I could ever need but I don't know how good of quality are. Also, the cats, do people just replace them or is there a way to clean them. Thanks for helping me out though man
Old 07-12-2014, 02:16 PM
Bad *** Newb

Should I clean it or replace it? And if info, will the ones on eBay work? EBay seems to have all the different parts I could ever need but I don't know how good of quality are. Also, the cats, do people just replace them or is there a way to clean them. Thanks for helping me out though man
Cleaning rarely works, imo.
I wouldn't use an ebay maf.
Replace the Y pipe. That will delete the cat in the rear and then you just gut the front one before you install the Y. Might as well gut or replace the rear cat with a test pipe while you're at it. That will also yield a decent power boost, especially with a catback and intake.
Old 07-12-2014, 10:02 PM

Replace the Y pipe. That will delete the cat in the rear and then you just gut the front one before you install the Y. Might as well gut or replace the rear cat with a test pipe while you're at it. That will also yield a decent power boost, especially with a catback and intake.
What are a couple of good sourses to buy parts?
Old 07-13-2014, 06:12 PM

Hmm, I was just going to start a thread asking about this. I seem to be averaging **** poor mileage lately. It started with 02 codes on my primary rear bank. I installed a warpspeed y pipe, gutted the front pre cat, replaced the rear cat with a test pipe and 2.5in all the way back, simmed the secondaries, replaced the plugs, tested all coils (good) then showed up with a maf code. Replaced the maf and that code went away. Still haven't been able to get my rear bank primary 02 code to go away. I believe its 0420 IIRC.
Bottom line on my MPG: I burned up 60 bucks of 93 octane of mostly highway driving and I managed 296 miles on that tank (add 40 +/- for low fuel light gas left)
Old 07-14-2014, 12:30 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Haha I'm on a phone typing this and could care less about my spelling, I have a college degree in sports management from cortland state in ny..... Second I'm a idiot for using the correct gas.... And not trying to ruin my engine.... Yup you keep up the good work stupid
Well...I'm sure that degree was very taxing to achieve...

Let me help you..."Second I'm a idiot..." where you really should have written, "Second I'm an idiot..." So, yes, thank you for affirming your idiocy. Carryon...this is fun.

Funny how I am using "incorrect" gas, yet have no performance, mileage, or maintenance issues. How odd...
Old 07-19-2014, 11:22 PM

What is a "catback"?
Old 07-19-2014, 11:36 PM
Administrator

So you do care...at least a little.

The proper phrase is "couldn't care less"

Been a pet peeve of mine for years; and apparently it drives Weird Al crazy too in his new video.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:38 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by peb396
What is a "catback"?
The exhaust system from the catalytic converter (cat) back to the tip on the muffler, hence the term catback.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by The Wizard
The exhaust system from the catalytic converter (cat) back to the tip on the muffler, hence the term catback.
Thanks!
Old 07-22-2014, 02:56 PM

The poor gas mileage on mine was due to vapor canister and valve vent control.
I also replaced spark plugs with OEM ones.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:00 AM

Sorry to doubt you, but this is not possible.
Originally Posted by D.Stillwell
First thing first, USE PREMIUM FUEL. It says so in the manual, using regular will give you crap performance.

I average 18-22mpg in all city traffic, and my area has TERRIBLE traffic and people out here never accelerate sufficiently so I can barely even press the pedal in 1st gear most times -- forcing the car to accelerate more in higher gear and waste more gas. Winter time is more like 18mpg, summer usually tends to be closer to 22mpg.
I think you don't understand how engines operate. Fuel economy is determined by - among other things - (a) BSFC, (b) torque/power demand, (c) vehicle velocity and (d) losses. Transmission losses are highest in first gear, and decrease toward the top gear, or in a rear-drive transmission, the "1:1" direct-drive ratio. Perhaps not surprisingly, optimal [steady-state] fuel economy typically occurs with no grade changes (i.e. flat road), operating in highest gear at ca. 2000 rpm, depending on aerodynamic drag, tires, etc. As one cannot achieve ss driving without first accelerating, the most efficient accelerating should also be employed (if relatively good consumption is the goal). How? Modest acceleration, shifting up earlier rather than later. If you drive an automatic, shifting is largely out of your control, with the exception of the influence of the throttle input. Keep throttle demand below 50%, and you are probably okay.

The BSFC map differs for every engine and calibration, but a good rule of thumb for a naturally aspirated engine is 3/4 of full load torque at roughly 2000 rpm is the most efficient operating point. Hence the reasoning modern automatics shift up early (move operating point to lower speed and higher torque) and lock the torque converter almost immediately (decrease losses through TC). Did you know that German cars in particular have been calibrated (for over 15 years...) to start second gear unless nearly full throttle is given?

Using 91 AKI vs. 87 AKI allows the spark to be advanced, such that the BSFC is reduced (the peak cylinder pressure occurs closer to TDC, and thus more energy is extracted from the fuel). So, the former should net better fuel consumption. In the real world, dependening on vehicle maintenance, driving style and other factors, YMMV.

Originally Posted by hnamous
No.
Autos are different
Not from a fuel economy standpoint. See above.

Last edited by tcb_02_max; 07-25-2014 at 01:09 AM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:13 AM

^
Thank you for teaching me something new!
Old 07-25-2014, 08:24 AM
dot dot dot ...

Jesus, another MPG thread.